Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Fork for AC???

"El Whatever"

Fork for AC???

My Pike is already 3yo. Not ridden much in the last two (if at all) and basically it just works as it says on the box.

I'm looking at options and thinking on a do-it-all fork.

I'm not fond on 15mm axles, as I'm on 20mm already. Size matters or so my wife says, so I'm also considering a shortened 35-36mm stanchions fork. However, if the best option would be a 15mm fork, I have Hope hubs and convert the front is a non-issue.

I'd like to keep it at the max setting of 530mm A2C, but I'm happy with the 520mm my Pike has.

Candidates include the X-Fusion Vengeance (shortened to 150mm), Magura Thor, Fox 36 Float (shortened), Revelation 150mm.

The Fox 32 line... I can't pinpoint what I don't like about them. Maybe the fact that there isn't a 150mm Van 32. That'd be perfect.

Discuss, please.
    Last edited by Warp; 10-09-2010 at 10:14 AM.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    May 2009
    IŽve used two DT Swiss forks in my AC, started with EXC-150 (2009 model with 15mm TA, measured A2C is 525mm) and changed that to EXM-150 (2010 model again with 15mm TA, measured A2C is 535mm). EXM is far better option compared to older EXC`s - 2010 EXC`s have totally new internals, similar than EXM and both are at least in same line than Floats or Roxbox-forks. Try to test EXM/ EXC if there`s change to do that - you`ll be amazed.

Also tried 2010-model 140 mm Fox Van 32 RCL with (older) FIT-damper, good one in conditions where air forks freezes... Plush and nice, but too low AC. Sold that away and ordered 2011 160 VAN 36 RC2, not yet delivered... A2C will be 545mm (which is too much for specs and recommendations) but just right height for me.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by pergamonx
    IŽve used two DT Swiss forks in my AC, started with EXC-150 (2009 model with 15mm TA, measured A2C is 525mm) and changed that to EXM-150 (2010 model again with 15mm TA, measured A2C is 535mm). EXM is far better option compared to older EXC`s - 2010 EXC`s have totally new internals, similar than EXM and both are at least in same line than Floats or Roxbox-forks. Try to test EXM/ EXC if there`s change to do that - you`ll be amazed.
    Not many to be seen in Mexico and price-wise, they're usually more expensive on this side of the pond. But I'll look into them anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by pergamonx
    Also tried 2010-model 140 mm Fox Van 32 RCL with (older) FIT-damper, good one in conditions where air forks freezes... Plush and nice, but too low AC. Sold that away and ordered 2011 160 VAN 36 RC2, not yet delivered... A2C will be 545mm (which is too much for specs and recommendations) but just right height for me.
    That's what I feared of 140mm Fox... too low.

Now, on the 36 Van, I'll be the first interested on reading your thoughts on how it goes on the AC. Only thing that puts me a bit off is that you can not shorten it to fit the recommended A2C... but at 545mm A2C, the AC should be in the order of 67HA and 72SA, longer wheelbase and effective TT... sweet.
    Check my Site

steep fast and loose :)
    sorry but it HAS to be the Float 150.

my choice for the AC

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I've got a 2011 Fox Talas 150-130. So far I am very happy with it but I've no experience with coil forks/shocks!
    The only thing I could say is that it pumps up once in awhile when I ride in very hard conditions... but my AC is only two weeks and I'm still readjusting the bike to my way of riding.
    Still did not find the best set up (or maybe it was not the nest choice )

mtbr member
    My 36 Float is lighter and much better than the coil pike (with push) it replaced. The RC2 cartridge is nice for preventing dive.
    Id love another for my hardtail, the 120mm Reba with 20mm is a weedy noodle in
    comparison... sod the weight.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Going to put my 2010 Float 140 on mine (when I finally get around to building : \ )

If it feels too short then will try a 150. Will see how it goes. No TALAS though, not plush enough.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Yes, the max. a2c is 530, but for normal AM, would a 160mm fork cause any problems? Looking at the headtube area, i belive it is strong enough, if you skip the harsh drops and if you are smooth... Any experience?

I'm looking for a trail bike to stand next to my AFR and Cove Handjob... and i think that the AC would do a great job with a 55RC3Ti, Crossmax ST or SX and a single ring in front...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I would run a 150mm Revelation. Dual air if possible,Nice and tunable,20mm axle.Blackbox damping.
    The AC is a trail bike and in my opinion dosent require a 35/36mm fork.

Had a revelation on my Turner spot and it was very good,Perfect for an all day/xc bike that you could still play on small drops and downhills.The AC is the same type of bike,If you want to run 36's buy an AM.

If you do buy a 36mm fork the 55 Rc3 ti looks stunning,just hope that Marzocchi are back to what they used to be.Can you drop the travel on a 55 Ti?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    The thing is, i already have the 55RC3 Ti. If was for my girlfriend, but she has like 20% SAG on the softest setting possible.

And the Helius AC is running through my mind, since the AM is too close to AFR, which i alreay have...

Another option is to buy a 44 RC3 Ti or the 44 Micro Ti... But i don't want to sell it, since is almost brand new... Anyone, 600euros?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by androw
    The thing is, i already have the 55RC3 Ti. If was for my girlfriend, but she has like 20% SAG on the softest setting possible.

And the Helius AC is running through my mind, since the AM is too close to AFR, which i alreay have...

Another option is to buy a 44 RC3 Ti or the 44 Micro Ti... But i don't want to sell it, since is almost brand new... Anyone, 600euros?

Can you reduce the travel on the 55 ti's? as you already have them

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    No, i haven't noticed a 55 with reduced travel... Will the extra 1.5 cm a2c really effect that much on the frame, except the geo?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    It will lift the BB and would cause warranty problems.But would probably be ok.
    I know some of the 55's you can reduce the travel,These could be the air only versions

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I've calculated all the geo numbers and it is ok to me. Even if the frame cracks, they could not prove me that i had an "illegal" fork on the bike. am i right?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I've calculated all the geo numbers and it is ok to me. Even if the frame cracks, they could not prove me that i had an "illegal" fork on the bike. am i right?

mmm.... it gets hotter!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Other than you have posted this on a public forum

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I'm not going to buy the frame tommorow.... I even don't know if i will take it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    So, your main reason to put the 55 on an AC, because your already have the fork ?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    That's what I feared of 140mm Fox... too low.

Now, on the 36 Van, I'll be the first interested on reading your thoughts on how it goes on the AC. Only thing that puts me a bit off is that you can not shorten it to fit the recommended A2C... but at 545mm A2C, the AC should be in the order of 67HA and 72SA, longer wheelbase and effective TT... sweet.
    Geometry-wise your calculations are about right, but in real life those angles depends fully how much sag you`ll use - IŽll expect that shortening of fork caused by bigger sag of VAN will easily compensate 10 mm higher A2C. But IŽll come back to this when IŽve tested it for a while.

My frame does not know is there a fork with 530mm static AC with 32mm stanchions in front, or one with 545mm static AC with 36mm tubes, if dynamic sag will be about the same. If it can stand my driving with smaller fork, it stands it as well as with bit bigger fork. If it fails, then it`s time to get a new frame

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by norcosam
    Can you reduce the travel on the 55 ti's? as you already have them
    Nope... only shortening the rod (read:lathe).

I have considered one of those also. They're pigs, but the feel should be amazing.

I would run a 150mm Revelation. Dual air if possible,Nice and tunable,20mm axle.Blackbox damping.
    The AC is a trail bike and in my opinion dosent require a 35/36mm fork.
    Well, the Rev is the natural candidate. Light, right numbers, nice damping. I'm just a little off with the topcaps on RS forks. They quite need to be perfect not to leak on the MoCo side.

Also, the BB damper is said to be a bit harsh when compared to the standard MoCo and I'm pretty light at 140 pounds (64kg). The Dual Flow rebound is really nice, though.

I also feel like a side move from the Pike.

Geometry-wise your calculations are about right, but in real life those angles depends fully how much sag you`ll use - IŽll expect that shortening of fork caused by bigger sag of VAN will easily compensate 10 mm higher A2C. But IŽll come back to this when IŽve tested it for a while.

My frame does not know is there a fork with 530mm static AC with 32mm stanchions in front, or one with 545mm static AC with 36mm tubes, if dynamic sag will be about the same. If it can stand my driving with smaller fork, it stands it as well as with bit bigger fork. If it fails, then it`s time to get a new frame
    The difference between a Rev 150 @ 30% sag and a Van 36 @ 30% sag is 15mm in A2C and like 12mm at sag. That's like half a degree, roughly once sagged. It's more complicated than that, but you get the idea.

Point is, the difference in weight respecting to a Pike from any of the 36 offers is kinda minimal unless you count in the Wotan and I'm not looking at the increased travel but the increased stiffness. Better tracking and all that.

Of course... I may well end up with a 32mm fork at the same 520mm A2C... who knows. The bike rides sweet as it is, but you know how it goes.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Hello Warp

I have in my helius CC a Magura Thor and works grate

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Its a shame they dont do a Revelation Coil,That would be a good fork

"El Whatever"
    Its a shame they dont do a Revelation Coil,That would be a good fork

You could put the U-Turn assembly of a Sektor in a Rev.

OR the damper of a Rev in a Sektor (supposing they're compatible)... but this second option leaves you with a heavier fork. The Rev chassis is lighter.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    You could put the U-Turn assembly of a Sektor in a Rev.

OR the damper of a Rev in a Sektor (supposing they're compatible)... but this second option leaves you with a heavier fork. The Rev chassis is lighter.

I have just emailed TF-tuned to find out if this is possible.Coil into a Revelation

"El Whatever"
    I have just emailed TF-tuned to find out if this is possible.Coil into a Revelation
    That'd be just great!!

I think there's a Sektor Coil 150... so maybe. As long as the threading of the topcap is the same.

I'd happily pay for the Rev and the coil assembly.
    Check my Site

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast