Drink...sleep

Flying, landing and crashing the Nicolai!

What an eventful ride today! It started off well, with a woman on a rentalbike (aka. no riding experience whatsoever), entered the bombhole from the wrong side, just as I was approaching for a jump at full speed. Reflex braking sent me flying, without the bike: ouch nr. 1.

Then moved on to a bigger bombhole, which went really well. The Nic just shines on those big drops . Took some pics there as well.

Moved on to a third, unused and overgrown, bombhole, with some massive drops with dodgy landings. One had a bend right behind a very short run out landing area, but I figured I could make it. I overshot the landing, landed in the bend, smacked my nuts on the saddle really hard and blasted off into some bushes. Ouch nr. 2, and my balls broke the saddle . I can see why you'd want an FR with a shorter seat tube . Anyone got recommendations for a new (and stronger of course, but not super heavy) saddle?

Here's some pics:
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Boozzz, looks like Thetford. Those bombholes can be fun. One of my favorities though is the 'Beast'. Its a pity they got rid of that single track from the top of the hill on the Brandon side, that was a great flowing bit of trail. Have you tried an SDG Bel Air, i find them very comfortable?

Drink...sleep
    Indeed Thetford. Beast is a bit too worn out I find, but it has some good dirt jumps at the end, off of the marked path. But in general, the marked routes are way too worn out, as they're used by lots and lots of rental bikers. It's a pity that quite a bit of the unmarked trails are going under too.

I haven't tried the Bel Air, but it's on my short list together with the WTB Rocket and Pure Vs.

mtbr member
    SDG Bel Air are super comfy.. don't wear well however. I have one on my current bike and if it lasts till this time next year i will be surprised. I was very happy with my 20 charge spoon on my last bike

Nice Air Boozzz - ill have to pile up the M11 and do thetford sometime

mtbr member
    is the post still intact Boozzz? Maybe worth considering an Elite as opposed to the masterpiece if you're going to be doing that regularly A stronger seat will put more force through to the post also in the event of a heavy landing.

Drink...sleep
    Quote Originally Posted by dipper
    is the post still intact Boozzz? Maybe worth considering an Elite as opposed to the masterpiece if you're going to be doing that regularly A stronger seat will put more force through to the post also in the event of a heavy landing.
    Hi dipper, yes, the post is still in one piece. I'm keeping the option of getting children later in life open, so not planning to do this very regularly. Still, an Elite would solve the problem of the post not extending beyond the top tube if it's up on xc-height as well. Bummer I hadn't thought of the post length before, but lets wait and see what Nicolai says.

Karve, do drop me a line when you're planning to pile up to Thetford . But only go when the weather is nice and has been nice for at least a week. Major mud madness otherwise.

Drink...sleep
    Guys, I just got word from Selle Italia that they are going to send me a warranty replacement saddle, free of charge! I've got to say, that is some extremely good customer service!

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Boozzz
    Guys, I just got word from Selle Italia that they are going to send me a warranty replacement saddle, free of charge! I've got to say, that is some extremely good customer service!
    wow..that is great CS indeed

mtbr member
    Real men ride without seats:

Drink...sleep
    Quote Originally Posted by Jlar
    Real men ride without seats:
    I thought that was more something for nancyboys . But it is some proper exercise, riding back to the trailhead without a seat, then riding to the trainstation without one, and then riding home from the station...

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

ummmmm....

.... why exactly do you think you deserve a new saddle?

Drink...sleep
    Quote Originally Posted by Haworth
    .... why exactly do you think you deserve a new saddle?
    Uhm, don't know if I should answer this seriously, but just in case... I thought it broke quite easily. Smashed my nuts into my SLR XC a couple of times as well, but it never broke. So I just wrote them an email saying what had happened. Never hurts to try. Oh, and I never said I thought I deserved a new saddle.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Is pay to play passe?

That's just the way things happen - sometimes you can case a landing really badly but everything miraculously holds up fine and others you're just a little off and something gets bent way out. Doesn't mean the part was defective just bad luck. Nothing increases skill level like the memory of shelling out $$$ for a Taco'd part after last weeks shoddy attempt at something risky.

The whole J-R-A movement seems to be making a comeback lately, it's a pet peeve of mine and your saddle 'issue' looks like a poster child example.

Did you send the unlucky manufacturer a picture of the saddle as well as a description of exactly what you were doing when their product 'failed'?

Maybe I'm just old and grumpy. If you honestly did everything totally above board and were 100% upfront about what happened then: fair play, well done & totally excellent result. If it really is that easy to replace crash damaged stuff I guess the world has changed and it's time to go dumpster diving out the back of bike shops for broken parts before hitting up all the push-over CS departments.

Drink...sleep
    Quote Originally Posted by Haworth
    Did you send the unlucky manufacturer a picture of the saddle as well as a description of exactly what you were doing when their product 'failed'?
    Yes, I did this exactly. They told me I had put a huge force on the saddle, completely bending the rails like that, and breaking the shell in two. I also explained exactly what happened, and did tell them I was a bit surprised it broke (because I hit it with my nuts, and although it hurt, it didn't hurt extremely bad). They then offered to send me a new one that didn't make it through quality control because of a slight cosmetic defect. That's why I said: great customer service. And hey, I had already bought a new saddle before even contacting Selle Italia.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Wow....

... stunned that Selle would offer such a deal. I suppose it shows just how much more cash is flowing through the bike industry these days - a couple of years back you might have been offered some form of discount on a new item, a couple more years back and I suspect the reply would have been along the lines of 'please keep using your balls as landing gear to prevent future generations calling us up with this nonsense'.

Time to stop being a playa hater and start playing the new game - FSA and Magura will be getting hit up first thing Monday!

mtbr member
    Boozzz.... im sure it was down to your recent upgrade to TI and Carbon nutts... the saddle just couldnt take it!

Drink...sleep
    Quote Originally Posted by Karve
    Boozzz.... im sure it was down to your recent upgrade to TI and Carbon nutts... the saddle just couldnt take it!
    You know I'd do anything to save weight...