Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006

First Helius AM Pictures

Hey Guys,

the first pictures of the Helius AM are coming in. I guess after the weekend well see some more.

steep fast and loose :)
    scheet - well done my man !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

simon.

why do they persist with down tube cable routing tho ?
    why not just go top tube all the way ? i k ow it's optional custome routing of course,

simon.

mtbr member
    Nice. adjustable travel as well I see. Maybe an air shock would have been the way to go as opposed to the ccdb. To make use of the travel adjust I'll be on a spring swapping frenzy! On saying that i can't see me using anything other than full travel. The FR pedals great at 6.6" travel and can't see the AM being any different.

lazy piston
    Mar 2006
    Thanks for the pics Testmaen! I've been quite anxious to see them since I first heard about that new frame.

I think I like it. I'm glad Nicolai went with adjustable travel on this frame. I was hoping for adjustable front shock mount though, but I guess that was too much to ask.

I like the minimalistic look of the headtube gussets, front shock mount and top tube / seat tube braces. And I'd love to see the frame in ano black of course. And to know the real weight in size L.

"Its All Good"
    Sweet as a nut!

Thanks for posting these up, great to see some pictures.... Its all good....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

wyrd bi ful rd
    That is such a beautiful frame ...

Downtube routing? ... if we order a frame with crud catcher mounts, then i presume all cable will naturally go top tube???

Adjustable rear travel is good ... I presume the rear shock mounts will fit an FR as well??? ...

wyrd bi ful rd
    Quote Originally Posted by Smith
    ... I'm glad Nicolai went with adjustable travel on this frame. I was hoping for adjustable front shock mount though, but I guess that was too much to ask ...
    be interesting to know if the front shock mount can be 'reversed'/'switched around'?

mtbr member
    "then i presume all cable will naturally go top tube"

nope. mine came with CC mounts and DT cable routing. You'd need to specify what you want

mtbr member
    The cable routing with CC mounts is a little messy as the cable runs the same route as the mounts ! Needing the cable routing to be re-routed round the CC and bolts...

A great bike but a small amount of extra care needed with the cable runs.
    Nicolai Bikes in the South of England head to..
    http://www.head-for-the-hills.co.uk

mtbr member
    It is a bit odd. I've never fitted a CC because of it. My next frame will also have CC mounts but will come with TT cable routing.

mtbr member
    With a CC fitted it does not look odd as its hard to see the routing but now the Summer has arrived ! Well for the last week or so I have removed the CC and with the bolts back in place the outer cable does look a little odd...
    Nicolai Bikes in the South of England head to..
    http://www.head-for-the-hills.co.uk

wyrd bi ful rd
    my crud catcher comes and goes ... i just hate it when they splatter right when you take a breadth ...
    Last edited by chinaman; 05-27-2008 at 10:50 AM.

"Its All Good"
    Crud Catchers..... Just love the mud............................ Says me whom has forgotten what mud is...... Well will find out again in a few months in NZ for the winter.....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

a tight kick sound
    Any more info on the weight and geo of this bad boy?
    Looks pretty friggin sweet!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    FYI: One of first customer AMs. Weight is 15,4kg (~34lbs) with heavy tires.

a tight kick sound
    Holy Jeeeeeesus!
    That is niiiice

local trails rider
    What size is that one?
    Got any geometry numbers?
    Is it my eyes or just wishful thinking that Nicolai have put the top tube a little lower on this one?

That frame just might push me over the edge and start me saving money for a Nicolai.

Ano Bronze maybe? Or Antique Copper?

lazy piston
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Testmaen
    FYI: One of first customer AMs. Weight is 15,4kg (~34lbs) with heavy tires.
    Cool, now we're talking

Can't say I'm impressed with the weight, but ok. Overall the frame looks quite nice, and I second perttime's comment on the top tube - it indeed looks somewhat lower than usual.

I'm also wondering what size it is. Have you had a chance to weigh it?
    Shock dimensions? 200 x 57? Compatibility with coil shocks?

BTW what's the deal with the headset?

mtbr member
    "top tube a little lower on this one?"

i hope not otherwise the medium i've got on order will be too small!

I'm a bit concerned about the seat and chainstays as well. they're much skinnier than the FR and the linkage has moved forward on the TT making the seatstays longer. I really like the stiffness of the FR rear.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Smith
    Can't say I'm impressed with the weight?
    I do not recognize all the components, but I think I could save some weight just by going for different tyres and pedals. Looks like a sturdy Marzocchi in front too.

"Its All Good"
    Just been on the blower with Falco at Nicolai. Was requesting some parts..

I asked if we could have some details made on the Helius AM. he said in 2 weeks or so time, all details will be revealed, the studio shots are being taken for the website to list the frame, some minor details are being finalized with cable guides etc..... So we cant get anymore info than that...

dipper - I dont think we can be comparing the AM to the FR at all. The main idea behind the AM was as an all mountain frame so to speak, taking no more than a 160mm fork, where by the FR has stepped up a notch.....

I doubt the boys would have made a frame that wasnt as stiff in the rear, of which is a huge plus of Nicolai frames....

So all in all, made an effort to get info, but respect what Falco and Nicolai have said, we must wait patiently.......

But yes, the pictured Helius AM in Ano black, am sure a heap of weight could be trimmed off of that bike. Would like to see it in the zone of 30lbs myself......

'All over it!'
    I like the look of that bike very much... but would it start me saving my pennies? Possibly. I too like the stiff rear end of the FR, this being catered for by the 12mm axle and the size of the chainstays.
    However, as Whafe says, it would be nice to see this machine built up with some light but sturdy components, such as a float front fork, some xtr bling and a nice AM wheelset such as the 819s. Should come in at about 30lb or perhaps a little under.

A lovely bike and will be interesting to know more in a few weeks time.

I'm with Dipper

Aye - It does look aneorexic in comparison to the FR, but at 34lbs built, I'd probably be tempted to stick with the FR for the extra rigidity.
    Having rode the FR earlier this week, it is noticeably stiffer and better capable than the 6 Pack in the rocks and drops, all I need is a 450# spring to get my sag / preload and compression settings dialled right in. Dipper's 600# heft causes me no end of woe
    It'll be good to see and ride the AM once Dipper get's it on his Demo fleet, especially as we're both running CCDB's, it'll be a fair comparison.
    So far though, the 6 Pack is still revelationary. Climbs reasonably well, descends with incredible control and damping. The FR is just too over-sprung to compete, imo.

Simon

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Thats not my bike, I should have add that, so I have no information about the details (frame weight, shock length, possible custom geo), but I try to find out.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast