Thread: Finally...

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Finally...

... the Helius is home.

I mentioned it in another thread before, but here it is. Now also in my "physical possesion, not only in legal possession". Somewhat ironic, that I got a "new" 2006 FR frame in silver anodized, as I almost bought one in 2006 instead of my Nonius.

The other weird thing is, now that I got the frame and the "hunting fever" is over and one should think all is good, I already peek to the left and to the right, looking for something new. Unfortunately someone wrote on a German forum, that the Helius CC is getting 140mm rear-travel, which in N-terms means, that it will probably be more than just a facelift. That leaves me as an old CC-fan quite nervous and thinking, if I "pulled the right trigger".

At least Nicolai's have a nice resale-value...

Anyhow ... after I come to peace with myself , I'll build the STB (SilverTrailBullet, sounds cheesy, I know, but I like it ) as a moderatly light/heavy trail bike, where the frame is obviously on the heavy side, but so am I right now (220lbs). Hopefully the STB will help me with this issue.

As for most parts I'm already "taken", but I'm open for any suggestions, so please keep it coming, if you think somewhere would be a better way to go.

Here the temporary parts-list:

* Frame, Size, & Color: Nicolai Helius FR, "M", 2006, silver anodized

* Fork: That and the shock are the only big "if's" right now. Most probably a RS Pike. I know, it has only 140mm of travel and I might sacrifice a (tiny) bit of the frames ability with 150mm, a) the 2006 model max. a2c-length is 540mm, which strictly speaking rules out any of the current 160mm models (Fox36-545mm or RS Lyrik-545mm), exept the Magura Wotan-540mm. b) the Pike is a proven fork, no matter if coil or air sprung, c) the bigger forks cost a BIG coin more, than the Pike's, d) can't think of any trailsI regularly ride, where I would need 160mm of travel.

I haven't decided yet if air or coil sprung, right now more pro's then con's for the air-version, although I very much like the idea to just hop on the bike, without having to check the pressures.

* Shock, i2i, stroke: Well, same problem here. Possible applicants: RS Monarch (SRAM lists it in 200x57mm, but haven't found it in a German web-shop so far), Manitou Evolver IXS-6 (quite expensive, but I only read very good things here on MTBR), Fox RP (proven shock, but don't like the idea of sending it in every year, to keep it warranted), Fox DHX coil (if I go the coil-route, it will be probably it)

* Brakes: A 100% Hope M4 with floating discs. IMHO the only brakes that fit perfectly with its CNC-look on a Nic. Only question is, if it's going to be the 08 or 09 model. I like the simple looks of the 08 lever, but the 09 lever with adjustable pad-contact and lever-handlebar-reach seems awful useful.

* Cranks, shifter, f+r derailleur, chain, cassette, bb: 90% it'll be XT all the way. Price and compatiblity wise it can't be beaten. A RF Atlas e.g. looks much better, but apart from that, there is no advantage. Same with XTR cranks.

* Pedals: CB mallets or one of the lighter Shimano ones

* Stem: Syntace Superforce or Thompson Elite X4.

* Handlebar: Syntace Lowrider aluminium

* Seatpost: By now I like the idea of a retractable seatpost. At least 2 new models (Specialized and Syntace) are coming. Until then a Ritchey or so will do.

* Saddle: classic Flite

* Headset: Chris King or Reset Racing (slightly higher lower cup height to raise the front end a bit with RS Pike)

* Grips: ...

* Front/Rear Tire: Schwalbe Nobby Nic's or the new Fat Alberts (tubeless)

* Wheelset: Hope Pro2 with NoTubes Flow rims, DT spokes/nipples

* Front Skewer: with fork

* Rear Skewer: DT Swiss RWS 10mm thru-axle-skewer

wyrd bi ful rd
    finger lickin' good ... congrats ...

beefy chain stay looks the job ...

Castron BTT Crew
    Jan 2006
    Congrats!

'All over it!'
    Looks a nice frame there.... the build list looks good, can't wait to see it finished. Be sure to post those pics.....

lazy piston
    Mar 2006
    Congrats!

As for the brakes, Magura Louises go well with Nicolai frames, and they're German made as well. My black '08s look very good on my black ano frame:

Probably the silver-coloured model would look nice on yours.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Smith
    As for the brakes, Magura Louises go well with Nicolai frames, and they're German made as well. My black '08s look very good on my black ano frame

Probably the silver-coloured model would look nice on yours.
    Thanks for the tip, Smith!

They would go very well and I guess so would most of the bigger names, like Formula or Avid. I saw a video about the new Avid Elixr and their adjustable pad-contact and lever-reach are more integrated, so that the lever looks very smooth without those adjuster-knobs on the Hope. The Hopes probably aren't as brutal in stopping power as the competition, but in the "looks departement" they are miles ahead. On the other hand a 203/180 combination with floatings will take care for reasonable stopping capability.

08 model

09 model with new lever and slightly different caliber

mtbr member
    Nice looking frame Testamen. I can't wait to see this baby built up. I've run tubed versions of Fat Alberts and they are excellent tyres but I'd also consider the UST Big Bettys. I recently had one fitted to the rear of my Helius and it 's a great tyre. It grips very well in most conditions yet it also rolls well and doesn't feel too "draggy". I'm going to order another pair again very soon.

'All over it!'
    Many people seem to be using the Big Betty's, particualy on the front. I too will be ordering a pair soon and perhaps a NN to experiment with on the rear.

Drink...sleep
    You won't regret going with the Hopes Testmaen. My V2's blow any other brake I've tried out of the water powerwise, have fantastic modulation, and are the best looking brakes on the market (not imo, just a fact ). M4's will be great as well I'm sure.

And of course, good going with the Helius, finally . Time to go to the next Nicolai meeting eh?

wyrd bi ful rd
    hey testmaen ... have you already got everything you need for the build?

looking through the list could not help notice the Pro 2 hub and RWS ... do you need a second hand DT Swiss RWS 10mm or a Hope Pro 2 10mm bolt through conversion? Less than 1 year old and in very good condition. have so far managed to refrain from putting it on ebay ... something at the back of my mind tells me that i might need it soon???

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    No, I don't. But before I can buy anything else, I have to sell my Nonius first.

But thank you couldn't helping to notice something like that.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Boozzz
    And of course, good going with the Helius, finally . Time to go to the next Nicolai meeting eh?
    WORD!

It would be a shame not making it over next time, doing some nice riding and having a niiiiice pint afterwards. Haven't had one in a long time...

"Its All Good"
    Looks a great frame, along with a great build. Hear you on the Pike, an all round great fork, takes a beating and has proven itself real well...

Indeed the Hopes look the business, look fantastic..... I love and know my Magura brakes well, you all know that though....LOL...

Keep us furnished with pictures please....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Unfortunately not the first update nor pictures. Still thinking about about fork/shock. Pike Air/Evolver ISX-6 or Pike Coil/DXH Coil ... or going completely NUTS with a 36 Van/CCDB combination.

Decission making $uck big time! I will get the Hope M4's sonn though, before the 08 model is sold out. I just dig the simple looks of the 08 lever over the uber-techy-adjustable look of the 09 model.

Unnecessarily I surfed the AM-Forum a bit and found even more unnecessarily this thread. That Transition Covert looks just stunnigly simple look, no hydroforming BS etc., reduced to the max ... just like a Nicolai.

Would suit my riding style perhaps a wee better ... (un-)appropriately the thread-name is "My Latest Dilemma" ....
    Last edited by Testmaen; 10-03-2008 at 09:00 AM.

steep fast and loose :)
    testmaen - i may have a pair of Van 36's for sale - pm me

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Testmaen,

Nice looking frame there.

On the build, have those self same Hope M4's, and as 4-pot stoppers go they seem plenty powerful to me - had them on the Nomad and will be moving over to the AM/FR (choices...) this autumn/winter. They stopped me even when the rear caliper shook loose coming down Snowdon a few years back! Don't think you'll miss the adjustable stuff on the '09's to be honest.

If you're thinking of a 140 mm fork, although not proven as it is a new model, have you looked at the Magura Thor? Have 2 Menja's at the mo' and they are fine forks, and the Thor looks even better.

Distributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Testmaen
    ... Unfortunately someone wrote on a German forum, that the Helius CC is getting 140mm rear-travel, which in N-terms means, that it will probably be more than just a facelift. That leaves me as an old CC-fan quite nervous and thinking, if I "pulled the right trigger".
    There is no update to the Helius CC planned for this year - certainly not before the next Eurobike in September 2009. The design still works as well as it did when it was launched and it already takes the 140mm forks that have become the trail bike/light AM standard. Whilst the pivot position moved on the FR you'll notice that the AM and RC position is the same as the CC (moving the pivot back requires a bulkier, heavier pivot.)
    Simon Still
    Momentum Distribution
    www.nicolai-uk.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Yeah, I know. Back than someone on the German forum was so excited about the Helius CC when he testdrove it, that he somehow mixed things up and/or misunderstood something, what his LBS told him.