Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Eurobike 2010 - Nicolai - News, Pics, ...

Today the EB officially starts, yesterday was the inofficial opening with the testday, where the press could make up their mind on the new and not so new models.

The first bit of Nicolai info is for the Helius AM.

The AM has been slightly tweaked. Many customers wanted a slacker head-angle, others don't. So Nicolai will offer, for a surcharge, a 1.5 headtube with the Cane Creek angleset, which allows to change the headangle +/- 1.5. According to Nicolai this solution is cheaper, easier and more flexible than going full custom. Also "new" are the cablestops for a dropable seatpost, which can be ordered as an extra.

New is also the Cane Creeak Double Barrel, which can be ordered directly over Nicolai, as a normal shock option, like DHX, Monarch etc. The shock is "specially tuned" for the Helius AM, upcharge is 675 .

Now some pics of the Helius AM testbike.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Nice. Looks like my AFR. Bet it weighs not far off it too...Which begs the question....if you want a slacker AM, to run with a totem etc....why not just get an AFR?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I know it's a regularly used comment, but I guess the reason is that with two forks, two sets of wheel and two dampers, you can have a DH ready bike one day and a true all day, all mountain bike the next.

Of course the same could be said for the AFR as Dipper will testify since he runs his in one guise for everything.

Looks good thought with the Totem fork and 1.5" HT; has a planted and poised look but still elegant. Obviously aesthestics shouldn't be even one tenth of the solution, but invariably they end up being more important.

mtbr member
    Looks like the AM has now morphed into an AFR! It appears that Nicolai Have a hole in there line up now with the lack of a dedicated 160mm bike!

I've been considering buying a 160mm bike and I thought the AM would fit the bill but I'm not sure now that it has 176mm of rear travel, extra weight and suitable for 170/180mm forks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Testmaen

New is also the Cane Creeak Double Barrel, which can be ordered directly over Nicolai, as a normal shock option, like DHX, Monarch etc. The shock is "specially tuned" for the Helius AM, upcharge is 675 €.
    Does look tasty

I dont think any of the CCDB's are specially tuned. The idea behind them with all the adjustments is that you can make them feel like whatever you want... unless Nicolai ar doing something that no one else is to the shocks. Also 625??? blimey I bought one from stendec for less than that.

Going back to my other positing - that thing is looking a lot like an FR - What length shocks do the AMs take
    www.essexhertsmtb.co.uk - Mountain Biking near London in the UK

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Karve
    Does look tasty

I dont think any of the CCDB's are specially tuned. The idea behind them with all the adjustments is that you can make them feel like whatever you want... unless Nicolai ar doing something that no one else is to the shocks. Also 625??? blimey I bought one from stendec for less than that.

Going back to my other positing - that thing is looking a lot like an FR - What length shocks do the AMs take
    Neither do I think, that the CCDB is specially tuned, so i put that in "...".

Shock length with the updated front mount and new lever is 216x63mm. I don't know what's that in inches.

Tomorrow morning probably new pictures and mabybe a video.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Shame that Nicolai has that parthnership with the SRAM group and puts on (almost) every testbike SRAM, Rock Shox, Truvatic etc.

On first sight that bike screamed for another fork and Nicolai isn't quite innocent on that. Putting gold on black, that could only mean .... COOOOOSHIMA.

lazy piston
    Mar 2006
    Thanks for posting this, the AM looks yummie!

I wonder which adjustable seatpost they are offering with the frames, I'm guessing Reverb?

mtbr member
    They must have changed the geometry of the AM to be able to fit a 180mm Totem on it without turning it into a chopper... My 2010 is choppered with a 160mm fork.

Which leads to a question about what forks and what travel for what sort of bike for 2011???
    Is 170/180mm the new AM standard, which relegates 150/160mm to the new trail standard?

Noodly 150mm Fox 32 and RS Rev for trail
    Stiff 160mm Fox 36 and Lyrik for heavy duty trail and "short travel" AM
    170 Lyrik and 180mm Totem/36 for the new "long travel" AM standard.

Every year certain fork manufacturers add 10 to 20mm to the forks which is fine as long as you buy into the need for a bigger and bigger gun each year!!! And are willing to buy a new bike each year!!! Which I guess is the point... we are consumers... our job is to consume!!!

PS - I've been riding 170mm Shermans and 180mm Travis on my AM bike for the last 6 years so it seems like RS and FOX are finally catching up with what Manitou were doing all those years ago... who would have thought it!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by thepimpmessiah; 09-02-2010 at 01:24 AM.

"Its All Good"
    Looks mean as fork does that AM.... But does beg to me, why not an AFR....

Just my opinion, still think its best guise is as a 160mm front and rear trail shredder....

I so want a AM 29er....... Mmmmmm it is a coming at some stage...
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I am with Whafe on this,I think they should have left the AM as a 160mm trail bike,Its now turning into a Freeride bike and loosing its trail qualities,Its now an FR frame.
    When i had the FR withcoil Lyriks and a ccdb it was way to much for most of the trails.There was the odd rock section where it was nice but the rest of the time you was pedaling a 8lb overweight bike.

mtbr member
    hey what is Nic presence at like at Eurobike this year - i haven't seen any pics of the stand?
    www.essexhertsmtb.co.uk - Mountain Biking near London in the UK

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Here comes the next piece(s) of info.

This looks like the HS pimpkit. Only consequent to offer the "standard anodize" finishes also on the HS.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Next: I got zero info what that is supposed to be, but something electric has to be under "the hood". I guess some kind of electric pedaling aid, as a 2nd chain runs on the Hammerschmidt.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Updates:

- The "electrified" Helius AM with the big battery-zeps is a project/research-bike. The installed e-motor will output 600-1000 watts at the end of the development. The idea is to give the biker some additional power, if he is riding in (very) rocky terrain without lift-assistance .. or just to make life a little bit easier on your every day/evening tour over your favorite trail.

- The white 20" Helius isn't a bike for kids or little people. Kalle Nicolai called it a "Mini-MTB". Main demand comes from Asia. He stated, that Nicolai already sold 20 bikes/frames. Main advantage is obviously the relatively small size. It's easy to store or to take it up the elevator.

- The Pimpkit for the HS features besides cool colours, also an optimised cable-routing.

"Its All Good"
    Sweet pictures, as always, thanks for taking the time and effort to share them with us...... Although, keep them coming
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Nicolai
    please leep them coming man!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Will do !

mtbr member
    I don't like the fancy colour way of the HammerSchmitt hook up kit but i can see the need for a better cable routing... I think it only a matter of time till I ding mine off as I've already had a few issues with the cable getting damaged.

My bash guard and pedal ends are also looking a bit tatty but the thats the price i pay for using it

Re the lickle white Helius... my eldest is four so I've got a few years to save up for one of those for him

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    New Ion ST frame pics?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

steep fast and loose :)
    i must say, the finishing quality is still utterly sublime

"Its All Good"
    Yep, the finishing quality still to this day floats my boat BIG time.....

mtbr member
    May 2007
    any onfo about the b-boxx?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast