mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Drivetrain dilema

So help me guys...the frame is in the country, final preparations and acquisitions for the build have to take place this week....

Can't decide between double or 1x10. Either way I'll want a chain device.

The chain device options are an MRP 2x for a double, which is not 100% as it relays on the Front mech for top chain duties.
    For 1x10 either a Shamen Drake carbon or MRP G2 SL

I have to say I have not suffered much with dropped chains in general.

I am going to run the AC29e in two modes, XC and AM

I know I'm strong enough to run 1x10 - 11-36 rear and 32t front (Although it can become unsociable when you have to maintain cadence and stomp up the uphill whilst the group is spinning!

In XC mode this will weigh 25.3lb,
    In AM mode 27.3lb
    both with the device and a dropper post.

I MAY want to run a double in the alps/Italy, although I could run 1x10, it might seem like self flagellation! So that would be 22/36 front 11-36 rear

IF I run double in xc mode its 26lb in AM mode 27.9lb again fully loaded with dropper/device etc.

So the big question is, as this will be the only bike mtb in future so I can give it the love and thrashing it deserves is the 0.6lb saving and slightly cleaner bar worth it or should I bite the bullet and go double.

I have to say I am a fan of simplicity so quite tempted by 1x10..I could always go back...

I did ride my Jones for 2 years either 32/16 single speed or 1x9 with 32t front, 11-34 rear and that weighed 31lbs with the monster front wheel.....
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    if you're strong enough to go 1X10 then youre strong enough to carry the extra weight of your hammershmidt. which one would you be cursing the most after a long day?

2X10 at least gives you the gearing and the weight drop you're looking for. For me, i dont think 1X10 is of much use. not enough gears and too hard on my stick like legs!
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

flash bikes for flash gits

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    aghhh. your right I know. Why am I hung up on getting this thing down below 28lb!

29.5lb with a Hammerschizzle is pretty decent..but...I know you're right and the double is the sensible way to go...just cant seem to shake the 1x thought....
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Hammerschizzle all the way. Just think of the ground clearance and instant shifting you'll enjoy!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    might keep it for the big days in the big mountains...
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    After HammerSchizzle and 1xX front mechs suck the fat one. Front mechs are for road bikes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    made I smile. I think the Hammerschizzle will find its way on there sometime.

In the meantime I have decided that yes, front mechs are for road bikes ;-) and I will MTFU in the UK, going 1x10 with a Straitline silent guide to try and hit 27.5lb in AM setup ;-)

Will reserve judgement for abroad but the 'shixxle is a 10min job to fit so if uplifted...its on! still sub 30lb bike...I hope....waiting for Dipper to weigh the frame later today for the crucial unknown number! Please be 3250g or under......
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    As you know... I too have a silent guide for my AM. If we get some dry days this summer I'll give it a whirl, but for the current swamp conditions up here I need my Hammerschnizzle's low gearing to get me through the mud.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I ran 1x9 on my trail bike for years, 32 front and 11-34 rear.was excellent.
    Was thinking of trying 1x10 on the AC, 34 front,11-36 rear.
    I had my AC frame specced with hammerschidt mounts,because i thought that there would be a lighter more xc/trail version in the pipeline,but thats never happened.
    i always used e13 chain devices,but have heard the newer style mechs dont alow the chain to flick as much,so should stay on better.

mtbr member
    I ran a Straitline Silent guide last year and wasn't too impressed with it as it dropped the chain! the Hammerschnizzle extra weight penalty is tiny compared to dropping 100+ places at the start of a qualifier

I read a review in some popular mountain biking magazine that listed the Silent Guide at the top of the tree despite stating in the review that "it was the only guide on test that dropped a chain"

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    OH! - having liked the look on yours SDR08 and then done alot of research this came out tops so that does surprise me. The review you speak of said they had used previous ones and never lost a chain, wondered about setup.

So may reviews out there saying no problems, just works. Of course you don't know where/how these guys ride...

For me it depends on what I'm doing I think. The hammerschizzle is staying, I've decided, any uplifted time or short pedally racing like suprenduro etc I'll be putting it on. For general riding single ring is fine for me.

Which one did you use. I have gone for the 32t specific size which has a smaller bashring and the enclosure with the guide plates is tighter than with the bigger ones if you are using a smallish chainring.
    I've also read its very important to get the right amount of tension on the chain with backplate positioning.

hmmm, to test or return untested. I've ridden alot with doubles and no guide and still rarely lost the chain.

For the Mega, when I do it one of these days, the HS will be in place.....
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sdr08 View Post
    I ran a Straitline Silent guide last year and wasn't too impressed with it as it dropped the chain! the Hammerschnizzle extra weight penalty is tiny compared to dropping 100+ places at the start of a qualifier

I read a review in some popular mountain biking magazine that listed the Silent Guide at the top of the tree despite stating in the review that "it was the only guide on test that dropped a chain"
    if you hadn't though my mate Turkish wouldnt of been able to catch you on the go pro! still need to get that vid of him to send you.

"Its All Good"
    Sounds great all round... Myself I would go as you have 1 x 10..

I am waiting for the 2nd gen SRAM XO rear der... I have never had an issue with the Silent Guide... Let us not forget that the new gen rear der's will drop far less chains because of the extra chain tension etc...

Can't wait to see this built up...
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    2nd gen is out now isn't it whafe, available in America..

I may go with a clutch Shimano when it hits XT but sticking with xtr std for now.

Silent Guide dropped a chain on the first small bumpy flat trail :-o

HOWEVER, I said to my buddy who was with me during the build "the clearance between the inner plate and the chain ring looks a bit big, I think I should add the 2.5mm washers" as the instructions state the distance between inner plate and chain ring should be the same as between chain ring and bashring. He says " nah, that looks fine" so I says, in my rather tired still building this thing at 3am state, " ok then" DOH, whatta mist-aka to mak-a. Just enough room for the chain to get between the chain ring and plate.

Easily managed on the ride with gear selection and never lost the chain again despite much bumpier sections and it was the shakedown but a lesson in don't compromise and have faith in your own perfectionism. It was a flat section but corrugated so I was in near top gear, minimum tension on the chain.

Quit sure it wont happen again looking at it.
    Aka chainline...