Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2009

disappointed in Nicolai

Update: problems solved thanks to Kalle!

Hi,

last summer I got my new Helius AM frame in titan ano. Then I saw that there were two things wrong with it. First the rear end was wrong, I ordered black ano seatstays and titan ano chainstays, but got it just swapped. Second was the color of the titan ano, it's far too dark, it doesn't even look like the titan frames I saw on internet.

I know Nicolai has some conditions about the risks of anodising, like differences because of welding and different types of aluminium, but I think that's nice, that's Nicolai. However I can't find something in it about a total wrong color. http://whyexfiles.dbap.de/Public/NIC..._anodizing.pdf

Now Nicolai says they don't want to do anything with the frame, and even not with the rear end. And if I would like to have a rear end in the colors I want, the risk of difference in color with the mainframe (almost 100%) is going to be for me.

Now I have a frame which was quite expensive, but I'm very disappointed in the color and in Nicolai. We have several Nicolai frames and we've always been very satisfied with them, but know I'm very dissapointed. What do I have to do with this?

here are some pics of my frame:

and some pics to compare:

Last edited by Dutchdriver; 01-29-2011 at 02:40 AM.

steep fast and loose :)
    wow - that is different. what size is yours ?

mtbr member
    Where did you get the frame from and did you pay for it before seeing the finish?

Also what are those white labels / Stickers ?

I thought Titan ano was now 'unavailable'.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    As with a lot of things there are always two sides to a story, taken at face value (and I'm not suggesting there is a reason not to)

They ****ed up on the rear triangle, they wont (are unable) to commit to getting it rectified to match the front (regardless of the fact your not keen on the colour) so should step up and do the correct thing and offer a new frame

The colour of the ano is subjective, backgrounds and lighting in the two shots are completely different, the lower picture could have been achieved with optimum lighting conditions

Your post does read like the crib notes of actual events though, Mr Nicolais direct email is floating round this forum somewhere, direct communication may have the potential to better get this sorted for you

Edit: have you been trying to get this sorted since last summer?

dutch - your frame basically looks like ano black !!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    @TLR: size is taylor made

@rpm100: those are labels, for pictures because of the wrong colors

@wpuk: I've post some other pictues, when you look at the black rear end you can see it much darker. My dealer has tried since last summer to get this sorted, 3 weeks ago I had to bring back the frame and they shipped it to Nicolai and this was their answer. So there has been direct contact with Nicolai, the frame has even been sent back.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    @ TLR: that's just the same as I (we) thought

quite ridiculous realy - ano black is a no cost option....

how much did you pay for the ano titan ?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    did you ever see another ti ano colour frame in the flesh?

maybe yours is not as far as off as you think?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Is the AC and AM below yours really titan ano ? Because the AM frame looks more like bronze to me.

I don't know if you had the chance to see titan ano prior to your order, because as we all know pics in the internet are often "idealized" and/or shot with different lighting/cameras etc.

Especially bronze ano is very "light dependent", as I've seen many times for myself. Rather dark lighting or not so sunny day and it has a nice dark colour to it, shot with camera flash as I did e.g. at an Nicolai open-house a few years ago, I was quite suprised how bright it turned out.

seriously testy - dutch has been stitched up.

his frame looks ano black ????????????? !!!!!!!!!!!!!! ????????????????

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    @BeezKneez: I've seen a ti ano before yes

@Testmaen: the frames below are really titan ano. I know pictures are always different from "the real look" , but I've seen several pics and also with black decals of black rear ends, and the difference between black and ano was very big.

We've got 5 Nicolai frames here, also one in bronze ano, and the colors of all the frames are ok. Even if the color would be ok, the rear end is wrong. And when the rear end will be made ok, you will see a lot of difference with the mainframe.

I really like Nicolai's products and I still do, all our bikes are fine, but this frame just ain't good. Like TLR says, it almost looks black.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I mean, if the chain/seatstays are wrong, there is no question about it. They were ordererd differently and should be changed.

The colour I don't know... It sure $ucks, no question about it.

How long is the communication on with Nicolai? I've seen pics of your bike for quite some time.

Over the years I've known Nicolai as a fair partner to deal with, also on the German support forum. Make use of the advice above and contact Kalle Nicolai directly, there should be a solution.

"Its All Good"
    Am trying to look at this subjectively, of which I agree with some of your points for sure, it is disappointing. Let us if we can work through the facts to get some resolution..

1 - The rear end chainstays are ano black, of which you ordered ti ano... Nicolai made the seatstays ti ano instead of black....

Dutch - Have Nicolai agreed that an error was made on the rear end colours?

2 - The ti ano main frame is different to other ti ano finishes you have seen.

Taking the rear chainstay muck ups, the front ti ano is for sure different to the other ti ano frame you have posted.... There is for sure differences in ano frame colour with differing light situations...

Have you contacted Karl directly on this, whilst discussing the 2 issues outside of one another...

I fully understand your frustration.

TLR - to say that Dutch has been stitched up is being a blue rinse brigade nanna... The incorrect rear black ano chainstay is black, far different to the main frame you are saying is black!
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Previous thread where Karl got involved directly

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...ai#post6567686

At the very least getting directly in touch with him directly will give your closure one way or another

Things are not always as they seem (as in the case of the dealer support in the linked thread) , when/if you get communications with him, go at it from the angle that this is the first he is aware of it and try not to let emotion rule any communication

Goodluck anyhows

unfortunately, Kalle does not frequent this forum very often and his input [and nicolai's] is VERY THIN on the ground compared to other boutique brands across MTBR.

it's disappointing as the product is lush but the quality control and ordering process is a bit "eclectic".........

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Plenty of anarchy in these forums, of all the places i frequent (within mtbr and outside) this forum is the most sane bar the odd numpety

There are a few boutique manufactures that need to learn when to stfu in these forums instead of whipping up their possy of zealots to chastise punters with genuine concerns

I'm championing Dutch's case, as I believe he has a genuine concern WPUK...........!

dutch - i suggest you email Kalle direct and report back the results of this correspondence....

i suspect you'll get a result............................

"Its All Good"
    TLR - No one is not diluting Dutch's case, it is a concern to us all. But these things need to be dealt with in the right way..

As I see it, and tell me if I have it wrong, there are 2 separate issues here. The issues with the rear colours of the bike, then the lack of clarity on the front tri being ti ano, or ti ano the same as other frames...

TLR, dude, you love nothing more than whipping up a storm in the proverbial teacup... There are as many boutique brands across MTBR where by they are even thinner..

Factually I have had considerable discussion with Karl, Nicolai on participation on MTBR... I think it works well as it is, of course I would like more, thats human nature.... TLR, are you wanting participation at the level of DT does on the Turner forum?

wpuk words it the best above..
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I'm championing Dutch's case, as I believe he has a genuine concern WPUK...........!
    Never denied he had any genuine concerns, encouraging him with drama queen remarks isnt exactly helping the bloke out

Edited: to add quotes

yeah - DT [turnerbikes] contributes impeccably on the Turner board....

that level of input counts for a massive level of support.

if we had more nicolai factory support here, a lot of issues surrounding incorrect frame spec / order details / etc may get ironed out before delivery "impact"...

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Ive had direct dealings with Turner bikes customer service and whilst they seem to have all their **** in one sock states side, they are relative partners to the cowboys at Silverfish (UK distrubutors) when it comes to anything on the other side of the pond

@whafe - you're a "special case" however, and a bit of a nicolai fanboi.
    you have direct comms into the factory because your a multiple purchase customer and pump the product here on mtbr.

i love my nic, but it has issues .

it's one of the reasons i don't run a nic HT or a 140mm trail Nic...

however, with Turner and Chumba, I have had direct comms and support without the flaming and back-biting ....

nothing is perfect in this world, but CS is king in consumer activity domains..........

@wpuk : the silverfish tie-up is not to be compared with the previous importer, Roundel....

a true traversty

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast