Thread: Dirt - 78

mtbr member

Dirt - 78

This months DIRT number 78

An interview with Falco as he describes his ION ST. He is running a 180 totem up front which is interesting. Looks fab in pale green with red bits. A good 2 page spread and worth a read for sure.

"Its All Good"
    Will have to look out for that edition of Dirt.... Is pissing down in Whistler at present...
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Falco's bike is just unreal... I love the color combo of the green and white. I think the Totem is cool, but I haven't seen an option of putting a 1.5 steertube on the ION yet... I think that would be a good idea since the Totems are supposed to be so much stiffer and a touch lighter in the 1.5 version.

Still a great bike. DIRT seems to be paying a lot of attention to Nicolai's at present. Cool!
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

mtbr member
    The Totem's on an Ion caught my eye too... all the Ion needs now is a Rohloff or two/three chainrings up front to give it a good gear spread to use it for real mountainbiking

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by thepimpmessiah
    The Totem's on an Ion caught my eye too... all the Ion needs now is a Rohloff or two/three chainrings up front to give it a good gear spread to use it for real mountainbiking
    You're really going to pedal that monster around a trail loop? As for real mountain biking, I seem to remember that mountain biking oringally started with downhill racing. You might say that downhill is the most true to the original spirit form of biking and XC riding is the imposter.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by geetee1972
    You're really going to pedal that monster around a trail loop? As for real mountain biking, I seem to remember that mountain biking oringally started with downhill racing. You might say that downhill is the most true to the original spirit form of biking and XC riding is the imposter.
    That's a bit pedantic?

Why not pedal something like an Ion round? Falco's Ion with the Totem's and the travel peged at 200mm rear is only 10mm more each end than my Nukey which I mostly pedal round the trails I do... that is what got me thinking.
    Nukey.

(170mm front and 190mm rear).
    Ride it as much as possible and then carry across whatever I cannot ride to get to the top of the mountains so I can enjoy the ride back down. I must be a pervert because I enjoy the climbs as well, and the views, and being in the mountains, blah blah blah.

Sunday's ride involved one of Scotland's highest mountains in a five hour loop with the above bike... most of the route is rideable with super low gears, add a few push or carry sections, and the main descent is almost all rideable on a big bike like this if your brave and good enough.

Putting gears on something like the Ion would make the bike more versatile and enable the bike to be used for what I meant by "real mountainbiking"... rather than relying on a lift, van or shoes to take your bicycle all the way up the hill you could *SHOCK* pedal *SHOCK*

I looked long and hard for a frame when I bought my Nukey, I wanted a DH travel bike that I could pedal up the mountains - before this I had an Intense M1 which was fine coming down but I hate walking up, and riding the same track all day does very little for me, I want to get about the hills.
    I've no plans to change the Nukey at the moment but Falco's Ion got me thinking, very few bikes could replace the Nukey anyway as almost none have the travel and gears, or my secret custom geometry

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Mate you must be extremely fit to pedal that up hill! I've spent time riding a heavy bike mostly around the Peak District and it's hard work, hence my original, albeit pedantic question. I certainly didn't mean any insult by it.

Strangely enough I do actually pedal my bike also, indeed most people I know through DH will do the same. But I don't think there's anything wrong with using a van/chairlift/shoes to get you to the top of any trail; you get out of mountain biking exactly what you want - if you want to pedal go ahead; if you want to do pure DH using an uplift, go ahead.

Personally I just love riding bikes but there are so many demands in life that I don't have the same time to train for the seven hour marathon tours of Lake/Peak District. My actual trail rides last maybe 3 or 4 hours max and usually involve several tea stops.

Seriously though, I really do think you would struggle to pedal an Ion ST on a trail ride and more to the point, unless that trail ride took in a full on DH course like Ft William or Rheola, I can't see why you would need it. There's hardly any trail ride in the UK that needs more than 5" of travel; although there are plenty of places where you would go faster DH with more, it seems an odd trade for so much extra weight. Think how fast you'd be on an Orange 5 or a Spesh Enduro, man you'd be killing the Elites in the XC class!

mtbr member
    Oh dear, I could go on and on forever about this... no insult taken and none meant, questions like this make me think why I do what I do which is no bad thing. I guess I'm not normal because I would rather put in the effort to pedal a heavy bike up a hill and really enjoy the descent, than pedal a light bike to the top and pick my way back down trying not to puncture my tyres or bend my wheels. We used to do it like that but it's much more fun this way
    I've had the bike round the Scottish trail center's and it's overkill for the likes of Glentress but superb for Laggan black and Innerliethen DH courses. In the big hills it's completely awesome, yes, I curse it's weight on the climbs and flat bits but I love the descents so it's worth the effort. Winch and drop.
    Some of the more mental big mountain routes I ride have descents a bit like some DH courses... but they go on for about twenty or thirty minutes. I prefer boulder and rock strewn technical descents to speed stuff but I'm more than happy on both, and in the air No padding on the trees or marshals with radios if you bin it up here though, and body armour and full face helmets are just extra weight to carry I carry my protection between my legs in the form of a bike I can trust not to break, and skills honed over many years

For me it was as much about strength and bombproofness as travel that hooked me on the Nukey.
    For the 7 years previous to me getting the Nicolai I broke my frames roughly once a year, (Intense M1 and Uzzi SL), in the 18 years I've been riding I've broken about a dozen frames. I don't usually break frames through crashing, I just found cracks when fixing things in the garage. The kit I had on the frames got stronger and stronger but the weak links were generaly the headtubes, bottom bracket shells, drivetrain, dropouts and back ends; hence going for a bike with Rohloff and a very strong one piece bolt through back end. Four years on and many frames are now coming with dual chainrings, maxle rear ends and 1.5 headtubes etc so maybe I was just ahead of the trend?
    I don't want to change my bikes often or be without them because I've broken them again so my two main bikes are extremely burly - The Nukey and a Balfa Minuteman hardtail - both with DH wheels and tyres etc. Waiting for warranty issues used to plague my riding and I never want to go through that again - I want to ride my bike. It's been suggested many times that I would make a good test rider... It would certainly help me fund my passion My wife goes nuts sometimes, I've just had an expensive week, blown the shock and forks on the Nukey and the Pike's on my Balfa But hey, I biked long before we hooked up
    The weight penalty of a big bike is something I can live with... I've had enough of breaking bikes. I may no longer be the fastest to the top or the bottom of the hill, but I'll be having a fantastic time and I'll not be standing at the side cursing at my stupid broken bike.
    I used to race XC and DH but all the traveling to races and waiting round made me question why, especially when the mountains here are so good? Family means I struggle to do as many big rides as I would like, but I still get out enough to keep my strength and fitness so when I can go big I still really enjoy it. An hour here and a couple there a week is enough to keep the big engine ticking over

P.S. I've also got a 22lb rigid singlespeed and a 24lb retro XC rocket... but they don't get ridden in the same way as the big bikes.

Back to the topic. Falco's Ion with the Travis forks looks like a damn hot mountainbike, I'd love to stick gears on it and try it on some of my more radical routes

mtbr member
    thepimpmessiah - what do u do to your bikes dude? lol How much do you weigh if you don't mind me asking? If you looking for a new set of fork slap on a totem - should work like a treat on your set up and not that heavy in the solo air form.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Sir I salute you - a mountain biker after my own heart! Fair play to you fella.

mtbr member
    Karve. I'm in the process of replacing the fubared Shermans with some Travis forks. The Shermans are totaly dead, the rebound adjuster is doing nothing anymore so something in the damper assembly has completely died. I was looking at the Totems but I picked up the Travis for buttons so they are worth a try.

I'm just shy of 6ft and weigh a little over 13stone so pretty average build, more sprinter than mountain goat . I've been the same since I used to race when I was measured at 7% body fat... one lean mean cycling machine

This has gone a bit off topic now