Drink...sleep

Derailleur hanger without number

Hi all,
    I've bent my derailleur hanger, just removed it from the bike, but there's no number on it or on the frame indicating which replacement I need. It's a 12mm thru-axle hanger for a 2008 Helius FR. I've fired an email off to Nicolai asking what I should get, but since they can be a bit slow responding, I thought maybe someone here is familiar with this?

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    A starting point beyond what you've already done is to check out derailerhanger.com and see if you can find what you want.

But I would ask, "How badly is it bent?" They are designed to bend and be bent back straight as long as they are not damaged. Park has a derailer hanger tool for testing alignment and bending it back into proper alignment. So you might look into that or have your LBS do it.
    Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life trying to save

Drink...sleep
    Thanks. By number I mean an alignment number Nicolai uses on their hangers, from -2 to +2. Mine doesn't have any when it should. Is there any way to measure what you've got?

I bent it back btw, but rather have one spare for when it breaks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wmodavis View Post
    A starting point beyond what you've already done is to check out derailerhanger.com and see if you can find what you want.

But I would ask, "How badly is it bent?" They are designed to bend and be bent back straight as long as they are not damaged. Park has a derailer hanger tool for testing alignment and bending it back into proper alignment. So you might look into that or have your LBS do it.
    While the tool you mention may straighten a bent hanger theyre really for straightening bent frames that dont have replaceable hangers. Most hangers are pretty fragile(for obvious reasons!) and often dont to kindly to being straightened.

Never seen one without a stamp though booozz. I've seen a couple where the stamp is not that obvious. Did you give it a good looking at?
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

flash bikes for flash gits

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    If it wasn't too badly bent minor straightening will be no prob. But I do agree that a spare is a good thing. They made the soft hangers sacrificial to hopefully save your deraileur but deraileurs are much easier to come by than the hangers. I had to put a bike on ice for several months because I couldn't obtain a hanger. Could have replaced the D the next day.

Visit Parks Repair Help and Education page where they explain using the DAG-2

They say...
    "This article will discuss derailleur hanger alignment and use of the Derailleur Alignment Gauge DAG-2.

A misaligned derailleur hanger will often result in poor shifting performance. A common cause of a misaligned hanger is from the bike falling over to the right side. This pushes the derailelleur body inward, bending the hanger."

I use mine primarily to deal with shifting problems.
    Half our life is spent trying to find something to do with the time we have rushed through life trying to save

Drink...sleep
    Hey Dipper, I gave it another good looking at, in different kinds of lighting conditions, but there's not a stamp to be discovered. Aaah! How do the numbers actually differ, how can I measure mine and find out what it is?

Distributor
    I wrote a reply to this yesterday but it failed to post.

What's the spec of your 12mm hanger - is it a threaded, maxle compatible one, or is it a clamp/bolt up? Nicolai have omitted stamps from "Zero" hangers on some runs (but I've only seen it on 'unusual' non-standard hangers like those on the Argon) so I'd be fairly certain it's a zero.

The factory do keep a record against the frame number so you can check that way (but of course takes time).
    Simon Still
    Momentum Distribution
    www.nicolai-uk.com

Drink...sleep
    Hey Simon, it's a threaded one for a Maxle. Not too unusual I think? I've sent a mail off to Falco yesterday, so I hope he'll get back to me quickly.

Distributor
    No - not unusual. I'll check whether the zeros we have are blank or stamped tonight.

Falco left Nicolai (though he still does freelance work for them) so don't expect a reply from his email address.
    Simon Still
    Momentum Distribution
    www.nicolai-uk.com

Drink...sleep
    Thanks for taking a look tonight, and for letting me know Falco no longer works there. I've sent another email to their info address

Distributor
    My box of 12mm zeros has one without a mark so does look like they were made that way for a while. ie yours is a zero.
    Simon Still
    Momentum Distribution
    www.nicolai-uk.com

Drink...sleep
    Thanks for checking Simon!