Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    "Its All Good"

Colour Scheme for the Am 29er??

Nicolai freaks.....

Am really struggling with a paint scheme for this new frame...

I had an idea for the frame to be covered in hand painted N-Volution logo's all over the frame, I liked the idea for sure, think it would be the shizzle, but Nicolai are not able to do it...

So with that idea in the toilet, I am stuck... I always go for pretty much black components, so the frame colour is important...

Gold with Purple ano components is a NO go

So help a fellow Nicolai freak out, paalleeassssseeeee
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Ano bronze and ano titanium are really classy. Can't go wrong with either, if I were to try something fance it would probably be orange, so why don't you.. o that's right. Hmmm Seasick green is pretty sick on the AM. That yellow AC on the Nicolai blog was cool too, hmm I can't decide, lucky I'm not in your seat!

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by rpm100
    That Sharpie paint job looks the shizzle, very very cool..... Mmmm thanks for putting that forward....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by mikael_nr1
    Ano bronze and ano titanium are really classy. Can't go wrong with either, if I were to try something fance it would probably be orange, so why don't you.. o that's right. Hmmm Seasick green is pretty sick on the AM. That yellow AC on the Nicolai blog was cool too, hmm I can't decide, lucky I'm not in your seat!
    Yes, glad you see the dilemma I am in...Good thoughts by the way.....

Keep them coming...

mtbr member
    Been thinking about a similar project for a while. Hmmm now I've given it away....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Colour Scheme for the Am 29er??-3517617358_b0c01b4ca3_o.jpg  

Colour Scheme for the Am 29er??-dsc00329-1.jpg  

Last edited by rpm100; 10-21-2010 at 07:08 AM.

steep fast and loose :)

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    How about if you panels on the three main tubes, around the centre of the tube, that were left in raw aluminium, but with the remainder of the sections painted in something like pearl effect white with metallic red piping between the white and the raw. If you could have the raw sections polished to a high sheen and then have the whole thing covered in the clear gloss lacquer that might look pretty good.

mtbr member
    Been thinking about a similar project for a while. Hmmm now I've given it away....

amazing what an artist can do with just a black magic marker.

"Its All Good"
    Sweet, keep them coming, may have to run a poll then go with the winner..

"Its All Good"
    Was thinking of a blue, white & red theme!!!..... NOT

geetee, can you explain your panels on the 3 main tubes etc etc etc please
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Colour Scheme for the Am 29er??-dorothy-%40-sswc1.jpg  

Colour Scheme for the Am 29er??-1-sswc-6.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Er Whafe, those photo's are a bit worrying!

OK so my idea was to start with a frame polished to this level:

The panels are like the black sections of paint in this picture:

Except that in the idea I'm suggesting, rather than have black panels, you actually have bare, polished aluminium. I'm thinking two or three panels, with two being on the seat tube and downtube (the latter with the Nicolai decal over it, say in metallic red) and the third if you have it, being on the top tube.

You'd then have pearlescent white paint covering the remaining parts of the frame and and the piping is simply a thin band (maybe 3mm?) of paint, say red as a nice contrast, that sits between the pearlescent white and the polished metal and forms a ring around the tubes.

The alu will oxidise if left exposed to the air so you could just have a high gloss clear coat over the whole thing to keep it nice and fresh.

One other alternative, would be to have a matt lacquer finish on a polished bare frame. That might be an interesting contrast.

"Its All Good"
    geetee, sweet looking polished frame.... Am kind of getting the gist of what you are saying, but still having a bit of a blonde moment....

What are you up to with this stunning FR frame?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    No that's not my FR, it's just a picture I came across (quite literally as it happens ) on the German Nicola forum.

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by geetee1972
    No that's not my FR, it's just a picture I came across (quite literally as it happens ) on the German Nicola forum.
    Sweet as... Need some photoshop guru's to build up your idea....

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    OK found something closer to the picture in my minds eye:
    And more here: http://www.porhomme.com/2009/07/inde...a-bike-frames/
    So on these frame it's the rear triangle that is polished metal (in this caseI imagine it's chrome, but in the case of an alu frame, it would just be polished) but I'm suggesting that you have a box section in the middle of the tubes in the main triangle like this. The box section would be the panel in black on these frames but would be on all three, or maybe just two of the tubes.

These frames also have a pink piping, I was suggesting metallic red. Rather nicely though, these frames looks to have pearlescent white paint. Maybe black would be a good conrast?

"Its All Good"
    OK found something closer to the picture in my minds eye:
    So on these frame it's the rear triangle that is polished metal (in this caseI imagine it's chrome, but in the case of an alu frame, it would just be polished) but I'm suggesting that you have a box section in the middle of the tubes in the main triangle like this. The box section would be the panel in black on these frames but would be on all three, or maybe just two of the tubes.

These frames also have a pink piping, I was suggesting metallic red. Rather nicely though, these frames looks to have pearlescent white paint. Maybe black would be a good conrast?
    Sweet geetee, thanks for taking the time to explain and show this, makes sense to me now... Very sweet indeed, the mind is racing, will investigate more on this.... Cheers

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    Was thinking of a blue, white & red theme!!!..... NOT

geetee, can you explain your panels on the 3 main tubes etc etc etc please

Was this the Jeff Jones ride.Were all the Jeff Jones riders dressed like this.
    Hmm must be the type of riders the brand atracts.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Er Whafe, those photo's are a bit worrying!

OK so my idea was to start with a frame polished to this level:

The panels are like the black sections of paint in this picture:

Except that in the idea I'm suggesting, rather than have black panels, you actually have bare, polished aluminium. I'm thinking two or three panels, with two being on the seat tube and downtube (the latter with the Nicolai decal over it, say in metallic red) and the third if you have it, being on the top tube.

You'd then have pearlescent white paint covering the remaining parts of the frame and and the piping is simply a thin band (maybe 3mm?) of paint, say red as a nice contrast, that sits between the pearlescent white and the polished metal and forms a ring around the tubes.

The alu will oxidise if left exposed to the air so you could just have a high gloss clear coat over the whole thing to keep it nice and fresh.

One other alternative, would be to have a matt lacquer finish on a polished bare frame. That might be an interesting contrast.

That is stunning.Sounds like a winter job for me on the ION

"El Whatever"

Something like that in the front of the front triangle... but instead of these motifs, something like Maori tattoos???

Or something like this...

It also reflects a bit the factory colours...

I see doing the actual work being a PITA, though...
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Why not just go orange, like the other 29er you have/had if i'm informed properly?

Ano orange maybe this time?

"Its All Good"
    Had a thought of Ano Black, with ano red on the rear chainstay uprights.

Thoughts?

Have not totally flagged geetee's ideas..

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I also think you need a bit of Orange on this frame.
    I Like the Ano green,

Ano green front,ano orange rear and red ano bearing covers,rockers etc.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    go here and play around:

http://www.iscape.de/nicolai/index.php

mtbr member
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^wowo wee waaaah.

That's the morning gone then.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast