Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    'All over it!'

600lb Spring Anyone????

Quote Originally Posted by ryates
    Hi Lorni, hope you are better. Can I suggest you e-mail Malcom at Cane Creek. He gave me a 450lb spring for my old FR set-up. You are only 30lb heavier so it sounds that you are running the wrong spring.......may be even less than 650lb? Whafe, what are you running and whats your weight?
    Well I have tried to get somewhere witht the 650lb spring but still think my FR is oversprung. I have set the sag to just over 35% but the shock still does not feel as plush as I'd hoped. I have the LSC dialled right out and minimal HSC which leads me to believe I may need a 600lb spring. Anybody in UK got a steel one I can borrow to test my theory? Many thanks in advance

steep fast and loose :)
    lorni - PM Dipper for a spring
    I'm 86kg kitted on a 400# spring momentarily.......

'All over it!'
    Thanks TLR, will do.

lorni - fwiw i've quit estimating sag - i now look to pre-charge the shock circuits with a bit of preload and then dial in a bit of LSR / HSR whilst focussing on LSC and HSC....in fact i run very little HSC (about 1/4 turn) and try to get it plush around mid point LSC / LSR looking for the shocks most efficient zone, so to speak.......

does this make sense

'All over it!'
    Well if you can offer any advice, it would be much appreciated. After I figured out that I had the shock in the wrong forward mounting points, I am back to square one. I have enough preload to hold the spring on without moving and next to no LSC.

Can you try to get me at a base setting as the factory settings are poo. Sag is roughly calculated at 22mm which equates to about 38%. Perhaps it's me, but it still doesn't feel dialed. I have slowed the rebound down a little, perhaps it is this which is making the shock feel inactive? Sure on the hits it feels good but at the moment it feels like it has a platform even at 38% sag.

I am confused.....

'All over it!'
    I might try and contact dipper next week as I know he is over 200lb and has a CCDB, see what he is running on his shock?

dipper can't get below 68 seconds at Knockhill !!!!!
    if you PM me i'll give you my number and we can discuss - too difficult to dial in over the net
    however, if it takes the square edged hits (HSC) and has a stable pedal platform (Horst + CCDB mid stroke control) then it sounds pretty good to me .... however, best to call me to discuss

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Hi Lorni

From my experience I would start with about half to one turn HSR/ HSC in from fully open and about 12 clicks of LSR/LSC out from fully closed.
    Last edited by loamranger; 04-11-2009 at 10:01 AM.

'All over it!'
    Ryates - I am open to any suggestions at the moment - so many thanks for your advice. I am going to sort this sucker after the easter break with regular trips to Chicksands.

TLR - Many thanks for your kind offer. I will PM you momentarily and get in touch after Easter, again many thanks.

mtbr member
    lorni
    if you think theres currently too much platform, try backing off all the circuits and working in from there. I run the HS circuits wide open pretty much everywhere. The LS circuits I change depending on where i am and what i'm doing. Sag @ 40%

TLR - no idea what motorbikes have to do with anything but I know 68sec is quicker than you've ever done. And seeing as you've bottled it like the big girls blouse you are you'll never be able to prove otherwise! If you're up for the challange, I'm going back in may.

don't forget the characteristics of the leverage rate of the frame - or the Horst link design, making a stable pedal platform BEFORE the CCDB has been introduced into the equation.
    FWIW, It's doubtful whether the HELIUS needs a shock as well controlled as the CCDB due to it's inherently stable suspension design !

Therefore, as mentioned above, start opening all the circuits wide open, then close in......

'All over it!'
    Dipper & TLR - Thanks for the advice. I went to the local park this morning armed with my 10mm spanner and I think I am getting somewhere. The rebound circuits are set up to my liking thus eliminating the 'kick' often associated when the shock reasserts itself.

With that dialed, I am now making headway with the HSC. I have hit a few jumps up to about 3 foot in height to flat and I can really feel the shock working on the landing. It sometimes feels as though I am blowing through the travel due to it feeling so plush with no bottom out.

On your advice, I have backed the HSC off to minimum and am now working on setting it a little at a time and doing the same jump. I am back to the park this morning to have another bash and perhaps hit some bigger stuff for confirmation, will let you know how it goes. Many thanks to both of you.

mtbr member
    After riding for a year on this shock I only ever adjust 2 things now

HSC - when doing BIG stuff I whack it up... on the trail rides i lower it to make it more supple over fast roots and the like. By whack it up i mean 2 clicks lol

LSR - my preference of how much pop I need off of jumps seems to change... more rebound = more pop but more over the bars. More rebound also gives a bit more spring out of corners.

mtbr member
    for fast flowing trails with not too many roots/rocks i dial in quite a bit o LSR and C. Like you say, it gives more spring out of corners and more pop off jumps and you can pedal hard without wallowing.

For DH I back off quite a bit all round as it keeps the shock plusher. I'm not entirely convinced that drops are a HS event though. I find by dialling in more LSC the shock stays composed off drops without sacrificing suppleness too much

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I'm about 15 clicks out from closed on LS (28 clicks total range) and half a turn back from fully open on HS.....feels good on most stuff.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Hi tmseth,

nice.....yours is the first Ion i've seen with a CCDB.....must be a great combination.

Can you post full spec in the Ion database?
    Last edited by loamranger; 04-20-2009 at 12:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    ok! I'm on the way to complete it!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tmseth
    ok! I'm on the way to complete it!
    Nice looking machine.. What pedals are those they look mint!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    brave machine pedals, similar to the bmw pedals

guys - really dialled in the LSC setting now - LSR is just about right too - phenomenal climbing grip and control.
    however, i'm open almost all the way on HSC, standard HSR and suffering slight spiking on big square edgers.
    probably running 40% sag however - is this too much ? feels awesome everywhere other than mega square edged hits ?????

HELP

mtbr member
    40% sag with no HSC (or preload?) - sounds like u need a heavier spring.

i have a 400 fitted - i also have a 450 & 500. the 400 is just super plush and super controlled with awesome grip.
    the 450# would need even less HSC, no ?
    i also have a few turns of preload in there too..................
    Last edited by The_Lecht_Rocks; 04-28-2009 at 11:24 PM.

guys - i'm delighted with my LS circuits.
    what sort of settings on the HS side have you selected ?
    on really fast big square edged hits i notice a wee bit of spiking...........?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    half to one turn back from open

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast