Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    well what can i say im pretty appauled with 'extra uk' the sock turned up middle of last week and as yet they still cant get hold of the correct spring foe me, and it will take them another 3 weeks to get one!! so TF tuned to the rescue, hopefully the correct spring should be hear tomorrow!! And just to rub it in, extra have already sold the 550 spring thats on my bike and are demanding it back leaving me with no spring!!

can anyone PM me with malcoms email address??

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    so the 650 has arrived, and after a chat to malcom, i have the shock in a good starting position with about 18mm of stroke being used under inital compression. Im off out for a ride tomorrow afternoon so will report back then!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    yeh, I don't think Extra are up to the job....best to deal directly.

steep fast and loose :)
    oily - my ccdb is coming from extra and they said there was a cock up with the 550# spring !!! LOL !!!!!
    ccdb is in the uk, but still not shipped ???

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    the spring should be on their way back to them early next week!! fingers crossed they got your order correct!!

Iv think iv settled on the 650 spring, it felt amazing today, there are a few bits i need to fiddle with, the shock kicked the back end up a few times on jumps which was a bit scary!!

mtbr member
    oily - you should have given me a shout. I've got a CC 650lb spring here that you could have had. Did TFT give you the right diametre spring as it's different from fox/marzocchi etc.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    tf and the shop spent ages measuring it and found one the same diameter i think this is only a tempry spring because when im happy with it i think im going to upgrade to ti

'All over it!'
    Glad to hear it's all going well oily, the CCDB is a nice bit of kit. How much are you weighing in at? I too am running a 650lb spring and loving it. Would be interested to know what settings you are using, just for a comparison.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    im about 230lbs at the moment, currently running standard CC settings but im going to go out next week for a set up ride. as soon as i have it dialed in i will let you know

oily - try to ride on the compression circuits as opposed to on the spring / sag settings.
    i made the mistake of running on the spring instead of using the compression circuits when i first used the CCDB on my Turner.
    the Nicolai with HORST needs so little LSC, thereby really allowing the shock to perform

'All over it!'
    TLR, so you advise to use the least preload you can and use the compression circuits to tune the shock? That is interesting as I am at about 8mm on the preload. Will back it off and continue to fettle with the settings.

Oily, will be good to compare when you have more ride time.

lorni - results ?
    my own CCDB has arrived at Gravity Sports - Shall pick it up on Saturday - Having spoken to Malcolm, I made sure I got a good one, better than Dippers'

'All over it!'
    Sorry for the delay in getting back, I have been away for the last three weeks so have not had a chance to get anywhere near the bike. I have however, in the little time I have today, wound off as much preload as I can, basically I have enough to keep the spring locked in place, about 3mm.

Now I have that set, I have done the obligitory car park test and as you can imagine, the shock is much much more active - so now comes trying to get the settings dialled in with very little preload. Will post back next week after some riding and fettling.

lorni - no sweat - i'll now have time to really get to grips with the CCDB on the Nicolai now mine's arrived at Gravity Sports - Picking it up tomorrow
    i'll start off the spring and on the LSC tomorrow - we've got a big day out in Fochabers doing all the routes including sessioning on the shore and the infamous gully monster trail.......not the most technical trails by any stretch of the imagination, but a nice day out with speed available
    Golspie next week however

'All over it!'
    Hey TLR, I have made few alterations today. Wound in more LSC and It has equalled the 'platform feeling' when using three times the preload before. I have also increased a small amount of HSC and HSR based on the riding experience at Dalby a few weeks ago - it's sad when you pack a notebook in the camelbak to make the necessary notes. I now feel that I am getting there with the shock, only a good thrashing will tell.

lorni - now you're cooking - now you need to equalise the LSC by winding in a bit more preload and backing off the LSC until your LSC is mid-way......
    the HSC settings will remain no matter what - and the notebook is an absolute must

great , innit

'All over it!'
    Thanks mate, I am getting there. Will try and sort that tomorrow, 'wife permitting' and let you know how I go.

'wife permitting' ????
    when it comes to dialling in the CCDB, the wife simply needs to know it's bike time and bike time only

mine has given up on me

mtbr member
    Once you get there it is so sweet... all i have done to mine in the last 12 months since I found the spot is crank up the HSC when I am doing big drops... and taken it back off for trail riding..

I am running a DHX on the gambler and it is put to shame by the ccdb!

WOW !!!!!!!
    almost no HSC, 1 turn of HSR, a little less than std LSC and std. LSR and it is SUBLIME !
    i ran on factory std. settings yesterday, but HSC was too much for stutter bump runs and the frame HORST design allows less LSC too.....
    @ 85kg kitted i'm on the 450# spring on the 150mm travel setting, i'm running no preload either.....
    it feels initially too soft, but on the trail, it's astonishing......now the HS circuits are set, it's time to get clever on the LS circuits.....
    this shock is fukkn incredible, tbh

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Hi,
    thought you'd like to take a look at The New Cane Creek Double Barrel on the Dirt website.

Another World Exclusive!!

Click below to see what all the fuss is about.
    http://dirtmag.co.uk/news/category/press release/the-new-cane-creek-double-barrel/

ryates - it's exactly the same as mine........increased tuning range and stepped thread sleeve

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I have a question on how HSC works. Based on the mechanics, it appears that the HSC valve opens when you hit something at a high speed therefore letting more oil move through the reservoir than the low speed circuit allows. Therefore, you can set more low speed compression for controlling pedaling, bike movement from shifts in weight etc and yet open the valving to take a big hit.

Having said that, you really canít tune in more HSC than LSC because HSC always allows more oil flow than the low speed circuit by the nature of the design.

Same seems to hold true for rebound. When rebounding from deep in the travel, the high speed valve will open allowing more oil to flow through therefore will always be a faster return than low speed circuit. You can never tune the high speed rebound to restrict more oil than the low speed circuit or event.

Does this make sense or am I way off here. I am not saying this is a positive or negative, just trying to understand the mechanics to help me in my tuning.

smithrider - almost right............however, the twin tube of the CCDB allows oil to permanently flow between the valving providing fully independant LS and HS damping circuits.
    the HS circuits are operated by poppet (relief) style valves,[and succesively, the shim stack], only opening when oil pressure exceeds the dialled in value on the shock body

hope this helps - feel free to contact Cane Creek direct for more clarification, as Malcolm is very very helpful.
    fwiw, the CCDB does feel really peculiar in the car park / garage, feeling far too soft........it's on the trail where it shines

My FREE !!! 400# spring arrived today - Many many thanks Malcolm for the absolutely sterling advice and service

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast