Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sure do

"Its All Good"
    Very cool looking tool..........
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Castron BTT Crew
    Jan 2006
    OMG! I was wondering about getting a CCDB, but looking to this so cool tool, now I'm sure.

I was living in the Netherlands for 8 months (in Leiden). It was terrifying.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    btw: How much is the CCDB ? I couldn't finy any $ or numbers ?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    550.00 in the UK

steep fast and loose :)
    helius AM @ 150mm position.
    500# x 2.25" spring (i'm 86kg kitted up)
    HSC 2 turns in from fully open
    HSR 2 turns in from fully open
    LSC 8 clicks out from fully closed
    LSR 12 clicks out from fully closed.

almost factory defaults for now, on malcolm's review of the leverage chart.......not enough chance to REALLY get into it though as we're hampered by 3' of snow

will report further when i get some rock runs in.

from 0 - sideways 3.2 sec
    hmmm did you not try the stock setting before? Strange your back to stock but if it works i guesss thats all that matters.
    Visit - www.gravity-sports.co.uk - Exclusive high end MTB Products

stock is simply a base starting point and also consequent to malcolm's recommendation for my weight and my leveage rate on the 150mm line.
    1st job is to get on the drops and dial out the HSC and dial in the HSR where possible.
    the LSC and LSR are a lot easier to execute.
    once i get the settings sorted, i'll be getting STENDEC to footprint it.

Then the worlds?

moderators - can this be made a sticky ?

TIA

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    TLR, reset mine to your settings....more harsh, but pedals better. Next time out I will ease off the LS a bit.

'All over it!'

Update.....

Quote Originally Posted by lornibear
    Well got the email I had been waiting for from Malcolm today, this is what he had to say:

Alex,

With a short stroke shock and an average leverage ratio of 2.93 you will get a high spring rate but, 650lb is where I would start. You are looking for a 30 to 35% sag range. An easy way to measure sag is move the bottom out bumper all the way up against the shock body takke all pre load off of the spring and then sit on the bike. Get off the bike and measure how much shaft is exposed from the top of the bumper to the shocks body. For 30% you should have 17mm of shaft.

So I think I will order a 650lb spring but I am thinking I will end up with a 600lb. When I get the new frame it will be time to play.
    Well I have finally got the bike together with a 650lb spring. Inital impressions from the it's 700lb cousin is soft.
    I have adjusted the preload to about 11mm and it felt much better, and then applied the cane creek factory settings. Now the shock is feeling plush as. The settings are as follows:

HSR - factory settings
    LSR - factory settings

LSC - 10 clicks as apposed to 8 factory settings
    HSC -10 clicks as apposed to 8 factory settings

I haven't had the chance to hit the trails or bike park yet, but this seems a logical place to start. Obviously, the shock will not stay this way and I intend to find a happy medium where I can virtually set and forget, with the exception of bike parks where due to my size, more HSC will be needed.

Initial thoughts on the totem coil is fantastic. It is plush straight from the box and will only get better as time rolls on. Still waiting for some cosmetic changes, then comes the photo shoot.

I would be interested to hear from other large riders who have a FR mated to a CCDB, on how you have yours set up. A happy chap indeed!

yeah - mee too - will hopefully get some rocks in this weekend, as we're thawing out from the snow line now

whoever made this a sticky - THANKS !

'All over it!'
    Well the bike is now done, only stickers to go. I have reduced my spring rate from a 700lb spring to the 650lb version. I can now use a bit of preload on the spring and can accurately set the sag.

For me at 240lb kitted up, I am starting with the sag at 35% and am liking it, but until I get on the trails and parks, I will not be able to tune it futher. I have set the LS settings to this so far:

LSC - 8 clicks from standard.
    LSR - 12 clicks from standard.

With these settings, pedalling is a firm platform with the right amount of rebound, but without feeling soggy and bobbing. I have left the HSC and HSR until I can get to some terrain that would warrant a high speed effect, but so far, it's riding like a new bike, the bike it should have been initally.

i've now increased my sag by running a softer spring rate , and instead of running on the spring, i'm tuning on the compression - what a revelation !
    so ultra plush, yet remains so well controlled ............
    i'm down to the 450# spring (i'm 86kg kitted up) with a turn or so of pre-load on the 150mm AM setting........it's just SO VERY VERY plush and composed...direct and taught, but as smooth and tractable as a smooth and tractable thing - Increbible and lurverly.....
    i'm sure the Horst aids the CCDB allowing less LSC and less spring rate..............anyone else running 'too much' sag and controlling on the compression ?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    TLR increased your sag to what? 'To Much' 40% - 50%?

Or normal trail riding 30 - 35% or free riding / DH 35 - 40%? (Please note above % ish!)

I thought the whole idea of the CCDB or Stoy was slightlymore sag (than the cheaper shocks) and controlled compression, that was where I started and finished my settings.

Garry - agree'd i thought you had to run 35%+ acording to reviews ive read.

Hows the stoy going?

sag depends what you want to do with the shock and where you propose to ride.
    for trail (as much climbing as descending) 30 - 35% works well....
    for more FR orientated duties 40% works incredibly well.

this weekend, i'm no longer measuring sag.......i'm just varying spring rate and adjusting my compression values to suit.....and it's starting to come alive and work

however, due to the incredibly plush nature of the CCDB, in only 7 hours of riding this weekend, I've had 5 bl00dy punctures

i have however given the Helius some SEVERE stick...and it just laughs it all off.....

i did manage to scare the bejeezus out of some unsuspecting trail sloths today however.....Mach 1 really does feel FAST

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Derek its amazing but thats for a new thread.

TLR so not so much "too much" but more what is recommended.......

ps. You need to go tubeless to avoid all those pinch punctures, that many punctures would do my head in!

garry - i'm tubeless on the Ti456 and Hummer....
    i really want Mavic to do a tubeless 821 rim.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Me too! Come on Mavic wake up in the morning (AM)!

I've got 819's which are nice and light but then there's a 1lb increase to go to 823's and on rotating mass thats a lot! Yes Derek I know you love them, but an in between would be nice, or; even better TLR, an AM '823 light' only 1/4lb (100g ish) heavier than an 819 but with the extra width we all want to run 2.4 tyres.

one downside of the increased performance of the CCDB over mortal shocks is the speed issue.......hence the puncture issue.......
    i guarantee i'd have even ripped a big betty UST from an 823 the force i carried over the test section rock garden...

mtbr member
    I've sourced an Avalanche shock to try on my Nuky which should be interesting... not that I have any complaints with the Push race system on my current Fox Vanilla but sometimes you just want to try new things

mtbr member
    Argh - The Avalanche shock is not going to be a straight forward fit to the Nukey. Looks like some filing will be involved and I'm thinking thats a bad idea

Here is a picture of the shock - it's a 200mm x 57mm with remote reservoir and it has high/low compression adjustment.

Spring is Ti and 600# - spring dimensions are as per Romic shock. All details available on the Avalanche website.

Compared with my Fox shock this is amazingly built - a true thing of beauty.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Iv got my CCDB now. currently still on factory setting and waiting for a 650lb spring to turn up as im blowing through the 550 to easily!!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast