Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    m 185 kitted and I run a 500lb spring? = 33% sag

'All over it!'
    Well got the email I had been waiting for from Malcolm today, this is what he had to say:

Alex,

With a short stroke shock and an average leverage ratio of 2.93 you will get a high spring rate but, 650lb is where I would start. You are looking for a 30 to 35% sag range. An easy way to measure sag is move the bottom out bumper all the way up against the shock body takke all pre load off of the spring and then sit on the bike. Get off the bike and measure how much shaft is exposed from the top of the bumper to the shocks body. For 30% you should have 17mm of shaft.

So I think I will order a 650lb spring but I am thinking I will end up with a 600lb. When I get the new frame it will be time to play.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Lorni, let us know how you get on....you might be right about 600lb? What settings are you running on the shock?

'All over it!'
    Well at present, I am running stock HSC and rebound but the LSC is minimum, which has lead me to the conclusion that it is way oversprung. I will order both the 600 & 650 and see what I like best. I don't suppose anybody knows the best way to get the spring off the shock do they? Would be kind of cool if the spring could be changed 'in the field' so to speak, that way you could notice the difference over the same runs in quick succession.

"Its All Good"
    Lorni - You could change the spring in a field test (sounds very military like, just for you), need to remove the mounting bolt, then drop the shock out, wind out the thingy majingy that winds the spring in when setting sag etc... Wind off and pop in the new spring...

I will work out the setting ryates when I ride tonight.... How I got there though, man I am a blonde non techy dork... Just played until it felt ok.... I dont even write down the settings... Love tech but havnt got round to being a techy on shocks..... If you want to know about Onions, I am your man..... LOL
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

'All over it!'
    I know about fooken onions........they make your eyes water!

'All over it!'
    How is this for service, recieved another email from Malcolm at CC and he is posting me the 650lb spring to try. I am really impressed with the support and customer service that end.

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by lornibear
    How is this for service, recieved another email from Malcolm at CC and he is posting me the 650lb spring to try. I am really impressed with the support and customer service that end.
    Yep, have to agree with you on that one, Malcolm has been super helpful to me also....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I agree.....he sent out new bushings to me FOC to convert FR to CC fiitings, in double quick time.....really impressive support.....thanks Cane Creek.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Hey Lorni, did you read the review of the Totem coil in mbr this month? I spoke to TF Tuned and they can convert my air version to coil and fit the 09 seals....might be an idea after trying the air's for a while? How's the knee?

'All over it!'
    I have decided not to go for the airs. I love the feeling of coil springs and am not too bothered about the extra 300g in weight. The knee is good. I did my first gym session three days ago on a circuit which included the recumbant bike, stationary bike, concept II rower and countless amounts of specific exercises. Then off to the pool to walk my lengths.

It does make it sore, but I can feel it getting stronger each day, albiet I am still on 4g of paracetomol and 1200g of ibuprofen per day. The physios can't believe the progress, no crutches and no more limp. Things are looking up and should be on the bike in the next few weeks. Hows your injury?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Lorni, that's great news that you will be back riding soon. My fracture is taking a while longer unfortunately....it's a spiral fractue....the bottom of it is unified but still waiting for the top half...may take a few more months yet? I'm doing everthing possible to get fixed asap.

Get the coil in white....all white looks great...like 5cotty's? The 09's have better seals by the way.

'All over it!'
    Yes, I agree. 5cotty's is a lovely bike. Not sure whether I like the black or the white forks yet. Any idea what the Totem IS is all about yet? Can't find any information on it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Mentioned this to TFTuned and they believe the IS has a cheaper type of damper.....their advice was to go for the regular coil version.

'All over it!'
    Right, will do. I wonder if it may be worth buying the 08 totem and have the 09 seals put in? may just be cheaper to buy the 09 forks and be done with it.

mtbr member
    I have 08 totem air

Zero issues with the seals... i think most of the later 08s are fine

Hey lorni im at Chicki this weekend.. is that near u ... feel free to pop down and give them an inspection if you need... ill post up actually and see if any other nics fancy coming and hanging out.

'All over it!'
    I may pop down and catch up, although I will be a spectator. Only 20 mins from Chicki and it would be good to get out and meet my nemesis once again. Karve, will you PM me timings etc of when you will be there?

'All over it!'
    I may pop down and catch up, although I will be a spectator. Only 20 mins from Chicki and it would be good to get out and meet my nemesis once again. Karve, will you PM me timings etc of when you will be there?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Lorni, I would go for the 09 straight off.....rrp is 690....but you probably can get a deal somewhere. My 08 airs cost around 550 and the cost of converting is around 150.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lornibear
    Nice one...No worries im down Chickie on Sunday 11-3ish I guess. Not confirmed yet. Will probably know by Friday for sure. Happy to take a break and hang out a bit.. ill need the rest no doubt.

Anyone else fancy it?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    These are my current settings for CCDB on 05 FR:

HSC stock (2 turns CW from fully out)
    HSR half turn CW from fully out
    LSC and LSR none (30 clicks out fully CCW)

Don't know how I got there.....just kept trying diiferent settings over repeated runs....until it felt best....are these unusual or what you might expect for a sorted Horst Link bike?

mtbr member
    if you are running hardly any LSC and HSC id suggest a lighter spring or less preload?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Hi Karve, I have a 450 spring which gives me 33 per cent sag with one turn of preload.....which I believe is ideal? Rider weight 200lbs. HSC is stock at 2 turns CW. Now the shock is going onto a CC do you think I should reset everything on stock and start fiddling again for the new bike?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryates
    Hi Karve, I have a 450 spring which gives me 33 per cent sag with one turn of preload.....which I believe is ideal? Rider weight 200lbs. HSC is stock at 2 turns CW. Now the shock is going onto a CC do you think I should reset everything on stock and start fiddling again for the new bike?

Nah best way is just to whack it on and see how it feels... i mean as u know the beauty of the shock is that anything can be adjusted. The best way to set up a CCDB is riding and fiddling with it... shame they make you carry tools to do that but that is a different discussion!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Just found out that there is a special tool now available to make adjustments easier. Just e-mailed CC to find out more. Karve, there is an image of the tool in the Suspension Forum....unfortunately I don't know how to post this....can you do this?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast