mtbr member

CCDB + DHX + other Coils - Helius Fr

As i mentioned in a previous post it does seem that a high percentage of FR owners plump for the CCDB. Not sure.. phaps its cos we are all bike geeks!

I thought it would be useful to pen down what everyone is using settings and sping wise, and what sag level you are getting, so there is a bit of a reference.

Also if you are running another coil shock pop the details in here so it can be used as a generic reference thread. I haven't seen anyone running a rocco but a few on the excellent dhx coil.

Some info chatting away about it here already

Helius FR: Help choosing suspension?
    CCDB/DHX 5 On 08 Helius FR
    Shock Options on the Nicolai Helius FR 08

So heres mine

Shock- CCDB
    Spring - TI
    Rider weight in gear - 185lbs
    Spring - 500
    LS Comp - 14 from closed
    HS Comp - Factory settings
    LS Rebound - Factory settings
    HS Rebound- Factory settings
    Pre-load- None
    Sag - 20mm on the shaft which equates to 35%
    Thoughts - Fabulous at near factory settings. Only downside is im having trouble getting the front end to match its quality of travel. Not cos the totem is bad but became the CCDB is so dam good. Thoughts which are echoed here in this review http://www.mtbtrailreview.com/blog/c...-review/parts/ Feels very weird to be sitting so far into the travel with it all buttery and supple on the small stuff then hit a big drop and have it suck it up! 2 shocks in 1

Obviously ive only had the bike for a bit and have just finished dialing in the LSC.. Ill be working on the HS settings this weekend and will update the post

here is a guide as to what sag on the stroke = % sag - I had to do it so i thought I would save you the math

10mm 17.50%
    11mm 19.25%
    12mm 21.00%
    13mm 22.75%
    14mm 24.50%
    15mm 26.25%
    16mm 28.00%
    17mm 29.75%
    18mm 31.50%
    19mm 33.25%
    20mm 35.00%
    21mm 36.75%
    22mm 38.50%
    23mm 40.24%
    24mm 41.99%
    25mm 43.74%
    Last edited by Karve; 04-06-2008 at 12:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Roco TST here. Going for the CCDB in the very near future though!

About time Ohlins started doing forks as well.

Drink...sleep
    No CCDB for me, the colours didn't match my bike as well as the Fox. Here goes:

Shock- DHX 5.0
    Spring - Steel for now
    Rider weight in gear - 190lbs
    Spring - 500
    Pre-load- The obligatory 1 turn
    Boost Valve - Still experimenting (150 psi on last ride, going 135 psi tomorrow)
    Propedal - Still experimenting (2 clicks on last ride)
    Bottom out - Still experimenting (halfway on last ride, going fully open tomorrow)
    Sag - about 18 mm without gear

lazy piston
    Mar 2006
    '07 Helius FR here

Shock: Fox Van R
    Spring: Steel 450 lbs/in
    Rider weight 73.5 kg (162 lbs) w/o gear
    Preload: minimum, just so the spring doesn't rattle
    Sag: around 30%

I'm getting a Roco RC WC pretty soon.

mtbr member
    CCDB now on order. Not sure if I'm hoping for a black one or the new 'ohlins' gold!

can't wait!

Drink...sleep
    Quote Originally Posted by dipper
    CCDB now on order. Not sure if I'm hoping for a black one or the new 'ohlins' gold!

can't wait!
    Nice one dipper! Looking forward to hearing what you think of it, and how it changes the feel of the rear end.

mtbr member
    Does anyone know how preload affects the shock.. ie tightening the pressure on the spring.. does it affect sag or bottom out?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    If iīm not completely wrong, it effects both. To increase the preload on a coil-shock is equal to put more pressure into an air-shock. The more air/preload, the harder is the shock with the same driver. Therefor the sag decreases if the preload is increased at the same driver weight.

Similar is the bottom out: at increased preload the ride-quality is harder (assumed the shock had a proper setting at the beginning), the suspension bottoms out much later, because of the increased spring rate.

I hope i didnīt misunderstand you and i explained a for you perfectly natural "phenomenon".

Drink...sleep
    Basically, preload effects only the start of the travel of the shock. It does not change the springrate. In other words, increasing preload will decrease sag and cause the shock to be a bit less reactive over small bumps. Increasing preload does not effect your bottom-out resistance (so this is a bit too bluntly stated).

Edit: Hm, now that I think about it, actually it does have an effect on bottom out. What preload does is add a load to the spring which needs to be overcome to start its travel, the spring is pushing back with certain force, so to say. So if you have a 500 lb spring (500 pounds needed to compress it 1 inch) and add 1/5 inch of preload, the first inch would take 600 lbs to compress (the spring 'pushes back' with 1/5 of 500 lbs). The rest of the travel still needs 500 lb extra for every inch, because the springrate remains constant. So if your shock bottoms at 2 inch of travel, no preload for this spring needs a load of 1000 lbs to get there, while 1/5 inch of preload needs 1100 lbs. But as the first bit of travel is only effected, it does make the spring less supple at the start of its movement compared to the rest of its travel (causing a feeling of 'blowing through it'), so you're better off running as little preload as possible, and go up in springweight, rather than preload.
    Last edited by Boozzz; 04-07-2008 at 06:33 AM.

steep fast and loose :)
    i now have a curious situation.
    i'm 187lbs kitted up (about 85kg), i'm running the CCDB in tghe 2nd hole down on the AM [150mm mode, possibly ] on a 450# spring with next to no preload, just enough to keep the rattle off, and on factory standard settings, i think it's running just a wee bit too harsh on fast stutter bumps, but climbing fantastically, with traction and controlled pedal platform.
    i reckon i could get away with a 400# spring, and keep the LSC / HSC settings........?
    any thoughts ?

TIA

steep fast and loose :)
    sorry - i know this is the FR forum, but the effective leverage rate and stroke ratio, on pre 09 FR's is basically the same as the AM as far as I can tell, hence the cross contamination AM / FR post

mtbr member
    '09 Helius FR here (size XL)

Shock: Fox Van R 200 X 57mm
    Spring: Steel 650 lbs/in
    Rider weight 95 kg (210 lbs)
    Preload: Just so the spring doesn't rattle
    Sag: 16mm (30%)