mtbr member
    Nov 2010

New question here. Can i run a set of 36's on my AC for a few weeks?

Hi All,
    I am going to the UK in the summer and as part of this will be heading to Morzine, weight is an issue in terms of allowances.

My original plan was to take my Helius FR but I also have a lighter AC currently running a terralogic 140...but I have some new 36's on my FR and could swap them over...

I know at 160 they will affect the ride but will it make morzine more fun? or should i just take the FR and put up with the weight???

Answers on a postacard..

cheers
    shiny
    Nicolai Helius AC
    Nicolai Helius FR
    Niner Air 9 Carbon
    Trek 69er
    BMC SLC01

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Mark Alker from Singletrack ran his AC with 36s for quite a while but specifically for trips to the Alps. He loved it and had no issues.

Frame is not rated for the A2C but only you can know how you ride. Nicolai's are 'overbuilt' to a degree as we all know and unless you are hulking to flat on a regular basis I doubt there will be any frame issues.

I'd swop them over.

Don't know if you can access this but here you go

Singletrack Magazine | Reviews | Nicolai Helius AC - Part Deux

If you can't I'll cut and paste it for you
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    sell the fr and the ac and get a helius am :-)

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Or just fit some spacers to the 36s and drop them to 150mm or 140mm. That way you get the performance in terms of stiffness but not the compromise on handling or warranty. Spacers take about 10 minutes to fit.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Thanks for the advice!

Hi Guys,
    Thanks for the advice, seem like it may be a goer..at least for a few weeks, how do i go about adding spacers?

cheers
    Shiny
    Nicolai Helius AC
    Nicolai Helius FR
    Niner Air 9 Carbon
    Trek 69er
    BMC SLC01

"El Whatever"
    The only compromise is warranty. The AC actually feels nicer with a 160mm fork. I run sometimes a Nixon at 160mm and it feels really nice.

The head angle becomes really nice and the seat angle doesn't get too disturbed at a pedaleable 72 point something degrees. Slap your rails forwards on the saddle to regain some seat angle.

In this condition, at the very least you MUST run a deep cup headset. Actually, with a 150mm you already should have to.

Yeah, I' running a 160mm fork at times, but then, I put what is probably one of the strongest headsets out there (CK Steelset with it's 25mm deep cups, stainless steel construction and half a ton of assuring mass)

Unsolicited pic to illustrate concept...

As for the 36's... you don't mention if those are Floats or Van.

Floats, basically, remove the lowers, pull out the air piston, slap a spacer below the negative spring and off you go.

Vans? You're pretty much out of luck with shortening them. It involves some machine work or getting a shorter 36 spring (maybe from other forks, there isn't such a thing as shorter travel springs for Vanillas, unless you get a hold on the ones used on the older 150mm 36 and I'm not even sure those would work).

But particularly in Alpine places, the 160mm fork will only be a handicap in the most steep of climbs.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Superb, I am running Talas 36's, a reset racing deep insertion headset...so should be fine...nice!

Shiny
    Nicolai Helius AC
    Nicolai Helius FR
    Niner Air 9 Carbon
    Trek 69er
    BMC SLC01