mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Brakes for the AC - new XTR?

Hopefully get the AC finished in the next couple of weeks. Originally I bought some Tech V2's last year, but I think are overkill and weighty for intended use. So am looking at the new XTR trail brakes. I think there are a couple of users here - any experiences? Also, what rotors are you using - looking for non-centrelock options.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    A good friend of mine has a set and says that the XCR versions (i.e. non-trail ones) are next to useless with the standard resin/organic pads but are brilliant with sintered pads.

mtbr member
    I have Avid Elixir 5 on my hardtail and they feel very similar to the Hope V2 I have on the AM. I may shift them across for a whirl to see if they can hack it... would tell me if the more expensive Elixir brakes are worth a punt. I'd like to put the V2 back on the Nukey.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by thepimpmessiah
    I have Avid Elixir 5 on my hardtail and they feel very similar to the Hope V2 I have on the AM. I may shift them across for a whirl to see if they can hack it... would tell me if the more expensive Elixir brakes are worth a punt. I'd like to put the V2 back on the Nukey.

Just ordered the XO brakes,so will let you know what they are like,will be a week or so yet.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    How about that one ...

http://trickstuff.prolink.de/de/products/cleg4.php

Completely new design, 2nd generation of the brake which originally was designet and manufactured by a German bike-magazine writer. Sold it after a few years to Trickstuff, which makes all kinds of genius bike-stuff. Kind of a German Hope M4.

Fully customizable with 8 different colours for the lever (all 4 parts of it, different colour for each part theoretically), hose and caliber. 7 disc size options. Makes it a nice fine tuning possibility for the factory Extra-Love options. "Made in Germany", too.

Somewhat of a downer is the price. 300 € a piece.

Some pictures of the 1st generation, just to give you an idea. I can't find more pic's of the new one right now, I keep looking.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by norcosam
    Just ordered the XO brakes,so will let you know what they are like,will be a week or so yet.
    Cheers Sam - it will be a while before I get to try it on anything worth while due to the snow; but I've been very impressed with the 5's on the hardtail over the last years so the X0's should be good

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    The new xtr trail brakes are epic, I'm going to say the best i've used, 90% of the power of the moto v2s for 1/2 the weight.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    2nd gen calibers ...

Also: according to the Trickstuff the Cleg 4 is the lightest 4 caliber in the world.

Caliber with pads: 115,5 g
    Lever: 85,4 g
    Cevlar hoses front (75 cm) with fittings: 27 g

= 228 gr w/o disc.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Think I'm going to give the XTR's a go - Ian if you are finding them solid stoppers I am confident they will do me! What rotors are you using?

Those trickstuff brakes - I'm not sure I could ride a brake called 'The Cleg(g)'!! 300 euros a pop is pretty stiff too!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by NICK-O-LAI
    Those trickstuff brakes - I'm not sure I could ride a brake called 'The Cleg(g)'!!
    Is it short for anything other than a blood sucking insect, too ?!

Because in German it makes perfect sense. If you translate it into German it's "Bremse", which means both, "brake" or "blood sucking insect".

Being 300 a pop, it makes even more sense.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by NICK-O-LAI
    Think I'm going to give the XTR's a go - Ian if you are finding them solid stoppers I am confident they will do me! What rotors are you using?

Those trickstuff brakes - I'm not sure I could ride a brake called 'The Cleg(g)'!! 300 euros a pop is pretty stiff too!
    Currently just some old avid rotors that were lying in the bike shop, still waiting for the ice rotors to trun up.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Testmaen
    Is it short for anything other than a blood sucking insect, too ?!

Because in German it makes perfect sense. If you translate it into German it's "Bremse", which means both, "brake" or "blood sucking insect".

Being 300 a pop, it makes even more sense.
    They look like a German Hope unit,

Very light,would love a set of them for the Ion in red.

mtbr member
    Reminds of pauls components from the early 90's. Looked the part and cost an arm and a leg but that's about it!

Anyone tried them?
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

flash bikes for flash gits

yet another stupid german
    the first gen clegs were pretty good brakes but were fairly high maintenance...
    maybe trickstuff production and qc will change that?