Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 100 of 1083

Thread: BOS suspension

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,407

    BOS suspension

    I know Bos have been discussed on here in the past but I've never paid a great deal of attention as I've never used them and dont know much about them. However, Ive been asked a few times recently if i could take them in. So based on nothing more than the fact they're expensive, shiny and niche and therefore entirely compatible with the Gravity-Sports ethos I figured why the hell not.

    Not to do things by halfs I'm going full tilt into it. Kitting out the AFR with a Stoy and an N'dee and also the AM with a Deville.

    I figure they'll be good but how good? the AFR currently runs a CCDB and 2010 66 RC3ti so Bos have a lot to live up to

    So who's all running them or have demo'd them even?(sam?) I've done some searching but cant find much info. and certainly no back to back tests with other brands. I'll probably not get a chance to try them out till after the snows gone so I'm keen to get some sort of impression on how they'll ride.
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

    flash bikes for flash gits

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,407
    most importantly. Just how good are the N'dee's going to look on this?

    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by dipper; 12-07-2010 at 01:45 PM.
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

    flash bikes for flash gits

  3. #3
    "Its All Good"
    Reputation: Whafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    10,697
    Quote Originally Posted by dipper
    most importantly. Just how good are the N'dee's going to look on this?
    Not as good as a Bos fork would look on my AM 29er when Bos make a long travel single crown fork for a 29er!!
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

  4. #4
    "Its All Good"
    Reputation: Whafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    10,697
    No in all seriousness, look forward to some feedback on these forks etc. Read amazing reviews on them.

    Most reviews say more or less "the Bos fork and shock, moves to a new level"

    So bring them on dipper....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    378
    Hi Dipper, the Stoy is fantastic it holds the back end up enough but also feels bottomless needs to be tuned from the start for bike and rider weight but is excellent hardly ever adjusted mine never feel the need to.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rpm100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    445
    Gary, is the rebound on your stoy noisy? as in sounds like a singing budgie?

  7. #7
    steep fast and loose :)
    Reputation: The_Lecht_Rocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,270
    seriously, lol.......

    it's all smoke and mirrors imo........

    fox have a fork for all occasions now, i see very little value in some French tat, and whats the uk after-sales going to be like compared to mojo ?

    being serious, anything i've ever had thats been French has either broken [peugeot / renault] or disappeared without a service facility [micromega]...... and it was all touted as the best of it's genre at the time of purchase....

    i think marzocchi's new range and their return to recent form warrants more interest...

    you are niche however, and as such i see why you're attracted....

    they get great reviews, but that's inevitable when you consider they'll be free-issued to some hungry journalists who ALWAYS wear the emporers new clothes...

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    303
    I was looking into them here in the us but distributor say's he not taking them in the us and tried to contact them no response so I guess we will never know .

  9. #9
    steep fast and loose :)
    Reputation: The_Lecht_Rocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,270
    as ncig says - usual french shoddy after sales service and lack of reliability.....

  10. #10
    chilliinleeds
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    35
    I rode a friends Cove shocker out in Morzine it had the stoy and ndee's on it and it was amazing,so plush and felt bottomless,i was riding same frame with fox 40's and rc4 and it felt crap by comparison.If i had the cash i'd buy bos!

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thepimpmessiah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    539
    I'm interested, especially in the Stoy. I like my 36 RC2 so the Deville would have to be very good indeed (although I can think of improvements to the 36 so there is room).

  12. #12
    steep fast and loose :)
    Reputation: The_Lecht_Rocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,270
    i'm afraid that after sales / service and the likelihood of the company being in business next year prioritise my choices.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,654
    Very interested in the BOS Deville or WB Loop for my new bike.

    Perhaps some of our French friends can comment on BOS reliability... I have not read anything negative so far?

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,013
    Would like a set of deville,You can reduce the travel internally down to 140mm.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,407
    TLR - I guess you'll not be interested in a shot then? You've the same additude to the AC 29er and pretty much anything new. I'm surprised you've made it as far as full sus! Bos is hardly a fly by night company. they've been on the go for years and if their mtb product is as good as it's reported to be they'll be here for a while yet I suspect.

    I've a lot of time for Fox stuff and the new marzocchis are excellent also however there's always room to try more stuff. How else you going to know whats hot and whats not? And more importantly, trying loads of stuff tunes you in to what you like and what suits your riding style.

    Anyway, I'm excited so stop killing my buzz
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

    flash bikes for flash gits

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,407
    reliabilty is allegedly the best in the business. I've a set of devilles lined up for a serial fork wrecker so i'll know soon enough
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

    flash bikes for flash gits

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,013
    Quote Originally Posted by dipper
    TLR - I guess you'll not be interested in a shot then? You've the same additude to the AC 29er and pretty much anything new. I'm surprised you've made it as far as full sus! Bos is hardly a fly by night company. they've been on the go for years and if their mtb product is as good as it's reported to be they'll be here for a while yet I suspect.

    I've a lot of time for Fox stuff and the new marzocchis are excellent also however there's always room to try more stuff. How else you going to know whats hot and whats not? And more importantly, trying loads of stuff tunes you in to what you like and what suits your riding style.

    Anyway, I'm excited so stop killing my buzz
    Dipper-Just ignore him.I do.

    Seems to be very full of himself and what he has is the only choice.

    Devilles....Yes please

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rpm100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    445
    Tlr, just out of interest, are you an actual life size cod piece?

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rpm100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    445
    Bos are here to stay. They produce innovative, alternative products with great performance, fantastic reliability and at a good price. What's not to like?

  20. #20
    chilliinleeds
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    35
    Look like they work pretty well for Nico!
    http://dirt.mpora.com/news/vouilloz-...s-deville.html

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,407
    i hate watching stuff like that. makes me realise how rubbish i am. why do I even bother? think i'll take up walking as a hobby. at least I'm good at that
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

    flash bikes for flash gits

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    560
    Quote Originally Posted by dipper
    i hate watching stuff like that. makes me realise how rubbish i am. why do I even bother? think i'll take up walking as a hobby. at least I'm good at that

    http://www.worldrecordsacademy.org/s...cord_70134.htm

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,407
    I said 'walking'. not 'extreme walking'. mind you i've just remembered i'm rubbish at walking as well. went over my ankle about 6 months ago and was off work for a week!
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

    flash bikes for flash gits

  24. #24
    steep fast and loose :)
    Reputation: The_Lecht_Rocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,270
    my point is that the differences are so minute between manufacturers there's little point.

    all the marketing BS from mtb manufacturers is a bit tiring....

    every year, there's a "MASSIVE" improvement.

    bollox - it's all a ploy to make you spend money on gear and upgrades.

    ffs - just get out and ride what you've got ! ARE you really that good that you need 3% of perfomance improvement....... i think not !

    and i maintain that most french kit is sh1t. sh1t service, sh1t longevity.

  25. #25
    chilliinleeds
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    35
    TLR, i see what your saying and in some cases your probably right,is a Fox talas 2010 any better than the 08 model? 99% of riders won't be able to detect the difference,but the BOS stuff is NEW,that 's why it's exciting,there an interesting company with a long and prestigeous record,they've been building forks and shocks for Nico and Chausson for years,to me another fork and shock option can only be a good thing!
    I remember a lot of people saying the same stuff about fox when they entered the mtb market and they've turned out ok! Just my 2p.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    898
    TLR there are so many holes in your argument I could shrink wrap it and market it as Swiss cheese.

    If you really think about your argument what you're saying is this:

    Riding mountain bikes is a purely utilitarian, pragmatic pursuit that has little or nothing to do with sensory pleasure, emotion, soul or anything else that might be classed as ‘ethereal or intangible’. The only reason you seem to give for riding bikes seems rooted in pure reasoning and logic – this is essentially what you are saying when you say ‘just get out and ride and stop thinking, discussing, worrying, whatever word you want to insert here, about the kit’.

    Now I get where you’re coming from you because you’re an engineer and for you, ‘feeling’ is just something fluffy that gets in the way of your ability to get oil out of the ground. The world needs your skills, (Scotland needs your skills if it’s going to have any chance of making it as an independent nation), but the world does NOT need your constant braying about how pointless it is thinking, talking and engaging about the sensory pleasure that we all get from the kit we have on our bikes.

    If you had your way, it would seem that the only reason you should be allowed to ride your bike for is, well actually I'm not sure you know why YOU ride bikes, seriously, what is it that you're trying to convince us of here? You say ‘stop worrying and just get out and ride’, well how is that contradictory to what Dipper is asking here? Dipper and the rest of us derive a lot of pleasure from the kit we ride. It’s precisely because we enjoy riding our bikes that we enjoy talking about and tinkering with the kit.

    Every BS argument you ever come up with seems to be based on 'just get out and ride' but your arugment is axiomatic; people ride bikes because they enjoy the feeling that that gives them. They enjoy how a bike feels underneath them and over the terrain they are riding. There is a deep sense of enjoyment and fulfilment that we get from having a well set up machine, doing out bidding.

    As an engineer, I would have thought you got that, but for some reason it seems to elude you.

    The most successful engineers in the world are the ones who were able to make the connection between the brilliance of their engineering execution and the soul that exists in all of us (except you it seems). They connect those two sides to human nature, the logical with the poetic. If you just took a moment to think about that and think about the ramifications of how you come across every freaking time you launch into one of your ‘BS marketing, BS this, BS that, just get out and ride, BE MORE LIKE ME’ tirades, maybe, just maybe, you would be a better person for it.

  27. #27
    steep fast and loose :)
    Reputation: The_Lecht_Rocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,270
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    sh1te - i'm a gear freak like the rest of you but my comments re BOS still stand. french tat remains french tat irrespective of your badge-engineered fanboi frenzy.

    i love shiny kit, but there's more to it than kit ffs !

    unless you're ultimately a kit monster and that really fukkn annoy's me !

    ATGNI come to mind ?

  28. #28
    steep fast and loose :)
    Reputation: The_Lecht_Rocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,270
    nicolai has king hubs / headset / xtr xchainset / CNT bars / joplin post / etc. top end kit.

    hummer has xtr / king / etc.

    456 ti has king hubs / headset / xtr xchainset / CNT bars

    mrs tlr's juliana has XTR / CNT, etc...


    so i am without doubt getting pleasure from the kit, but redeem my guilt by riding the fookn wheels off all my .

    geetee says :

    Dipper and the rest of us derive a lot of pleasure from the kit we ride. It’s precisely because we enjoy riding our bikes that we enjoy talking about and tinkering with the kit.

    then you contradict the issue with :

    people ride bikes because they enjoy the feeling that that gives them.

    which is why i ride them - for the pleasure of the ride, not the fookn xtr chainset that's shinier than joe bloggs' xt ! ? !

    i only have the shiny kit coz i've got too much money and a benevolent dealer

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    898
    I can handle your comments about BOS - that's not bit that caused a problem for me. This on the other hand is what I am talking about:

    ffs - just get out and ride what you've got ! ARE you really that good that you need 3% of perfomance improvement....... i think not !
    Not sure if you're suggesting it's me, Dipper or anyone else who is ATGNI but I think you'll be on pretty thin ice with that argument. I know I CAN ride a bike. I've been riding since I was 14 I do have some idea about the subject.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    648
    The only thing which worries me about the bos forks is the 34mm stanchions.

    If they are just as stiff as 36s I might sell mine, and buy a pair of bos forks. should only cost me about Ł100

  31. #31
    steep fast and loose :)
    Reputation: The_Lecht_Rocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,270
    14 ????

    i was on pushbikes at 3 , motorbikes at 5. why did you waste 9 more years ?

  32. #32
    steep fast and loose :)
    Reputation: The_Lecht_Rocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,270
    @ dipper - i'm afraid to report that no matter what fork from whatever manufacturer. there will be nothing to accompany that monstrosity aesthetically.

    i'd just bin it and start again mukka.

    seriously - that AFR is simply FOUL / FUGLY / repeat to fade........

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    506
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Lecht_Rocks
    14 ????

    i was on pushbikes at 3 , motorbikes at 5. why did you waste 9 more years ?
    And still you can't figure out when it's time to keep your cranc arms level?

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,407
    Quote Originally Posted by geetee1972
    TLR there are so many holes in your argument I could shrink wrap it and market it as Swiss cheese.

    If you really think about your argument what you're saying is this:

    Riding mountain bikes is a purely utilitarian, pragmatic pursuit that has little or nothing to do with sensory pleasure, emotion, soul or anything else that might be classed as ‘ethereal or intangible’. The only reason you seem to give for riding bikes seems rooted in pure reasoning and logic – this is essentially what you are saying when you say ‘just get out and ride and stop thinking, discussing, worrying, whatever word you want to insert here, about the kit’.

    Now I get where you’re coming from you because you’re an engineer and for you, ‘feeling’ is just something fluffy that gets in the way of your ability to get oil out of the ground. The world needs your skills, (Scotland needs your skills if it’s going to have any chance of making it as an independent nation), but the world does NOT need your constant braying about how pointless it is thinking, talking and engaging about the sensory pleasure that we all get from the kit we have on our bikes.

    If you had your way, it would seem that the only reason you should be allowed to ride your bike for is, well actually I'm not sure you know why YOU ride bikes, seriously, what is it that you're trying to convince us of here? You say ‘stop worrying and just get out and ride’, well how is that contradictory to what Dipper is asking here? Dipper and the rest of us derive a lot of pleasure from the kit we ride. It’s precisely because we enjoy riding our bikes that we enjoy talking about and tinkering with the kit.

    Every BS argument you ever come up with seems to be based on 'just get out and ride' but your arugment is axiomatic; people ride bikes because they enjoy the feeling that that gives them. They enjoy how a bike feels underneath them and over the terrain they are riding. There is a deep sense of enjoyment and fulfilment that we get from having a well set up machine, doing out bidding.

    As an engineer, I would have thought you got that, but for some reason it seems to elude you.

    The most successful engineers in the world are the ones who were able to make the connection between the brilliance of their engineering execution and the soul that exists in all of us (except you it seems). They connect those two sides to human nature, the logical with the poetic. If you just took a moment to think about that and think about the ramifications of how you come across every freaking time you launch into one of your ‘BS marketing, BS this, BS that, just get out and ride, BE MORE LIKE ME’ tirades, maybe, just maybe, you would be a better person for it.
    damn well said geetee! except this bit - "Scotland needs your skills if it’s going to have any chance of making it as an independent nation"

    I think TLR is having toilet issues again. bit bunged up are we simon?
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

    flash bikes for flash gits

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,407
    "i only have the shiny kit coz i've got too much money and a benevolent dealer"

    you missed the word 'had'
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

    flash bikes for flash gits

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    560
    Quote Originally Posted by geetee1972
    TLR there are so many holes in your argument I could shrink wrap it and market it as Swiss cheese.

    If you really think about your argument what you're saying is this:

    Riding mountain bikes is a purely utilitarian, pragmatic pursuit that has little or nothing to do with sensory pleasure, emotion, soul or anything else that might be classed as ‘ethereal or intangible’. The only reason you seem to give for riding bikes seems rooted in pure reasoning and logic – this is essentially what you are saying when you say ‘just get out and ride and stop thinking, discussing, worrying, whatever word you want to insert here, about the kit’.

    Now I get where you’re coming from you because you’re an engineer and for you, ‘feeling’ is just something fluffy that gets in the way of your ability to get oil out of the ground. The world needs your skills, (Scotland needs your skills if it’s going to have any chance of making it as an independent nation), but the world does NOT need your constant braying about how pointless it is thinking, talking and engaging about the sensory pleasure that we all get from the kit we have on our bikes.

    If you had your way, it would seem that the only reason you should be allowed to ride your bike for is, well actually I'm not sure you know why YOU ride bikes, seriously, what is it that you're trying to convince us of here? You say ‘stop worrying and just get out and ride’, well how is that contradictory to what Dipper is asking here? Dipper and the rest of us derive a lot of pleasure from the kit we ride. It’s precisely because we enjoy riding our bikes that we enjoy talking about and tinkering with the kit.

    Every BS argument you ever come up with seems to be based on 'just get out and ride' but your arugment is axiomatic; people ride bikes because they enjoy the feeling that that gives them. They enjoy how a bike feels underneath them and over the terrain they are riding. There is a deep sense of enjoyment and fulfilment that we get from having a well set up machine, doing out bidding.

    As an engineer, I would have thought you got that, but for some reason it seems to elude you.

    The most successful engineers in the world are the ones who were able to make the connection between the brilliance of their engineering execution and the soul that exists in all of us (except you it seems). They connect those two sides to human nature, the logical with the poetic. If you just took a moment to think about that and think about the ramifications of how you come across every freaking time you launch into one of your ‘BS marketing, BS this, BS that, just get out and ride, BE MORE LIKE ME’ tirades, maybe, just maybe, you would be a better person for it.
    500 and words is an eloquent way to tell someone they are a knob

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    4
    hello,
    I'have the N'dee on my FR, probably the best fork I had (66 ETA, 36 Talas and 2006 888 Rc2x). Here in France people says it's a bit more DH oriented than the new VAN 180 and those who tested the N'dee comparing to the new Marzo 66 RC3ti says that the difference is really minimal.
    Reliability is also really good (and I'm a Swiss guy, also have a RARE on my Shocker), you just have to ride without maintenance...
    Hope it will help a bit...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BOS suspension-fr.jpg  


  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,407
    nice bike Olive. do you know what the axle to crown is on the N'dee's? they look quite tall
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

    flash bikes for flash gits

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    4
    565mm axle to crown, I took the photo with. a 28mm lens, that's why...

  40. #40
    Executive User - UK
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    799
    I'm running deviles on my spicy and they are so much better than anything fox or rockshox produce it's not even close. Significantly better traction and bottomless plush travel.
    Honestly, if you can afford them there is no reason to not run them.

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,013
    Olive.Very nice,like the white fork,black frame,reminds me of the Fr i had.

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by norcosam
    Olive.Very nice,like the white fork,black frame,reminds me of the Fr i had.
    Thanks Norcosam, but now the front is black. Better uphill (500gr less and Talas adjustment) but not really the same level downhill. The N'dee is on my other bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BOS suspension-fr2.jpg  


  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by norcosam
    Olive.Very nice,like the white fork,black frame,reminds me of the Fr i had.
    Thanks Norcosam, but now the front is black. Better uphill (500gr less and Talas adjustment) but not really the same level downhill. The N'dee is on my other bike.

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,407
    some +ve reviews comming now. cheers. Of course negative reviews also welcome assuming they're based on some sort of experience! Glad to hear they N'dee is at least on a par with the 66RC3 ti. I wee bit less dive and the 66 would be as perfect a fork as I've ridden. It's smoother than a 36 but not quite as supportive imo. Hopefully the N'dee will be best of both
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

    flash bikes for flash gits

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    898
    Dipper you know that wasn't a dig at Scotland right? Just a comment that the revenues from north sea oil are pretty important.

  46. #46
    uni
    uni is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    30

    Reliability ??

    Been very interested in a set of Devillle's since the recent price drop. Not sure if anyone can confirm it but someone told me that the service interval can be up to 2 years due to their reliability, compared with a 15 hour service for my 36's this makes them very tempting......

  47. #47
    steep fast and loose :)
    Reputation: The_Lecht_Rocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,270
    sorry lads - but you're all so easy to wind up it's a shame not too

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,407
    Quote Originally Posted by geetee1972
    Dipper you know that wasn't a dig at Scotland right? Just a comment that the revenues from north sea oil are pretty important.
    not at all. I was having a dig at the fact TLR is English and I suspect thenorth sea oil industry would get along just fine without him!
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

    flash bikes for flash gits

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rpm100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    445
    Arh ha, a frustrated English man living in Scotland. That explains alot

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    256
    Just put some Devilles on my Mojo HD to replace 2009 36 Floats. At the margin they are not quite as stiff, but it's a small difference. Upside is they are lighter, and once up to a decent speed the damping does seem to offer more control. The comparison I'd make is the Push upgrade to Pikes.

  51. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    48
    Hi guys,

    I already posted my thoughts on the BOS stuff, but I'd like to make things clear for some narrow minded people.

    First, my bike:


    Second, I deal with things I've tried, some should do the same. I'm French, sorry (but I'll try to write in English ), I own a BOS N'Dee fork and an AFR.

    First of all, I own this fork for one year now and the thing is that it works as well as last year. Those forks have been made to require as less maintenance as possible. I looked at mine a month ago and the oil was almost as clear as new. I called BOS to know when I should send them for a complete service and within 48h they answered "when it will need it, maybe next year". Clear enough.
    Moreover, I ride my bike almost every week end, I race DH, and I am also a bit tired of the marketing thing (Kashima coating, tapered headtubes, hydroformed tubes, etc.). But you need to understand the Bos stuff was thought in the only goal of performance (and it works since I improved my times).
    And basically that's all I needed: reliability and performance.
    But you can add the fact that it's the nicest piece of engineering for mtb forks. I mean, you should really compare it to the mass production forks...
    As said before, the after sales service has been great so far and if the English importer is reliable there won't be any problem because the guys at Bos know their thing.
    To finish my fork weights in at 3 kg, which is normal for a DH fork, even if it could be improved.
    And I'd like to add that I don't spend my cash for something which is only beautiful or fashionable. Cf SLX cranks, etc. I decided to pay the price for something that could make me faster and I got what I wanted. At the moment I'm collecting money to get the Stoy.

    Edit: I won't answer on the prejudices about French products since as almost everywhere, there are both good and bad things. And sorry in advance for the language mistakes.

  52. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,654
    SowX, good comments and the English is better than some of the Scott's. Great looking bike.

  53. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,407
    :
    Quote Originally Posted by ryates
    SowX, good comments and the English is better than some of the Scott's. Great looking bike.
    how did one mans(an englishman at that) predjudice turn in to a slagging for the scots eh?

    Cheers SowX. good review. While i I have issues with the French(and the Italians for that matter) competence with electrickery(see renualt, ferrari, ducati, fiat,peugot etc) i have no problems with your mechanical engineering

    - a few smiley faces just so you know I'm taking the piss! not sure how well our humour translates
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

    flash bikes for flash gits

  54. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,407
    SowX
    your bike pic never worked(at least i can't see it anyway)

    to pick up on your comment about the UK importer. I've had quite a bit of communication with him(Roger Estrada at R53 engineering) and he comes across as a real nice lad and is very clued up on suspension in general. he's been taking a look at the AFR and it's suspension characteristics in order to sort out my Stoy. He's been very patient also with all my daft and ignorant questions. so far so good

    makes all the difference when the suppliers are clued up and approachable. A lot are just sales types with no real passion for the sport. On saying that i dont know how much Roger knows about the mtb scene but he's certainly passionate about suspension

    for those that dont know who the importer is - http://www.r53engineering.com/
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

    flash bikes for flash gits

  55. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    506
    I know I've already said it but that AFR is probably the most sensible build I've seen, congrats!

    The N'dee seems like a really good fork, I would love to have one in 160mm. It's too heavy to put on my Helius AM though, and I'm more or less allergic to air forks, so the devilles are a no go.

    The options then narrow down to Fox, RS and Magura.

  56. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    48
    Thanks guys. Personnally, I called BOS a few times to know how to set up my fork properly and everytime they answered and found a solution. And for me it is very important, since I think the after sales is as important as the product itself, none of the other brands are able to advise you on the setting up.

    So if the importer is as much involved as they are, then you'll always find someone to answer you questions.

    But I recognize it's a bit pricey in the UK, which is normal (shipping costs, importer...). Meanwhile still competitive compared to Fox suspension for exemple.


    @mikael_nr1

    I never tried the Deville so I won't tell you much about it but reviews on the French forums explain that the fork reacts a bit like an "oil dampered fork". Don't know if it's understandable...

  57. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thepimpmessiah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    539
    Dipper - the N-dee's will look fab on the Koi... but the Stoy is going to ming

    With the 1-1/8" steerer you can lose that boat anchor of a stem

    Are you going for the Cane Creek angle-set to play with the headtube angle?

  58. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,654
    Dipper, has the snow cleared yet? Interested in your BOS review. Have you tested the 2011 Fox 36 Van yet, as a point of reference?

  59. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,407
    Quote Originally Posted by thepimpmessiah
    Dipper - the N-dee's will look fab on the Koi... but the Stoy is going to ming

    With the 1-1/8" steerer you can lose that boat anchor of a stem

    Are you going for the Cane Creek angle-set to play with the headtube angle?
    aye youre right. you'd think they'd colour coordinate them a bit better! maybe have to sort it with a rattle can from halfords

    it's running a straitline 1.5 stem at the moment which is pretty light. I take it you mean the 1.5 sunline that I had on it for a bit? it was a boat anchor!

    and yes I plan on fitting an angle set to have a play.
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

    flash bikes for flash gits

  60. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,407
    ryates
    snows still here but got a bit of a shift today. Forecasts not good for during the week though. Not set eyes on the forks yet either. they should be in next week.

    I've done some rides on the 2011 36 float 180RLC. No surprise that it feels much the same as the 160. feels well supported but not as silky smooth as the 2010 66RC3ti. As well as those 2 I've also tried on the AFR - 2008 66 ATA, 2009 66 RC3 and a lyric 170 DH. None of them are bad forks(apart from reliabilty issues on the ATA but I sorted that). the only one I couldnt get on with was the lyric. I think if you're weight happens to fall within the right range it could be a good fork but I couldnt get a spring that worked. the medium was way too soft and the hard, way too hard!
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

    flash bikes for flash gits

  61. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,013
    Bos deville-Go on then

  62. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation: shakeyakey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    228
    Quote Originally Posted by olive
    Thanks Norcosam, but now the front is black. Better uphill (500gr less and Talas adjustment) but not really the same level downhill. The N'dee is on my other bike.
    Alright mate mint looking bike by the way, was just curious have you tried climbing on the FR with the fox in 180 mode? was planning on getting a float 180 for my FR as like the idea of the weight saving, is it going to be a pain in the arse to climb in full travel? Other option was maybe get a float 180 and adjust it to 170mm for trail then back to 180 for the mega etc. Your input would be great cheers.

  63. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,407
    Quote Originally Posted by shakeyakey
    Alright mate mint looking bike by the way, was just curious have you tried climbing on the FR with the fox in 180 mode? was planning on getting a float 180 for my FR as like the idea of the weight saving, is it going to be a pain in the arse to climb in full travel? Other option was maybe get a float 180 and adjust it to 170mm for trail then back to 180 for the mega etc. Your input would be great cheers.
    shakey
    i used an FR with 180 forks for quite a while(66's). suited it better imo. never noticed any issues climbing either. 10 mins changes the fox's 2 160 as well if you find it too tall
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

    flash bikes for flash gits

  64. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    378

    Bos Stoy

    hi RPM I have heard about budgie type noises coming from the Stoy however this was something that TF tuned sorted out simply at the very start before I even picked up the shock.

    TLR the shock would not suit you, there's not enough faffing about before you actually get to ride the bike and because you can actually get the setup with the correct sag you'd have pedal strike city.

  65. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,654
    dipper, please could you arrange for a shoot-out between the following:

    BOS Deville
    WB Loop
    Fox 36 Float and Van
    X-Fusion Vengeance
    Marz. 55 RC3 ti ???

    I will buy the winner from you.

  66. #66
    steep fast and loose :)
    Reputation: The_Lecht_Rocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,270
    Quote Originally Posted by Garry AM
    hi RPM I have heard about budgie type noises coming from the Stoy however this was something that TF tuned sorted out simply at the very start before I even picked up the shock.

    TLR the shock would not suit you, there's not enough faffing about before you actually get to ride the bike and because you can actually get the setup with the correct sag you'd have pedal strike city.

    i'm back to the monarch with increased air pressure.

    the ccdb although sublime in action was a compromise...
    its going to get footprinted and possibly have higher viscosity damping oil fitted in the next couple of months in order to improve the mid-stroke control.....
    i can only hope for improved performance....

    my 6 pack in retrospect, was sublime on the ccdb in comparison.

    shame my AM is one of the originals on old fashioned 200x51 levers.....possibly time for a change......

  67. #67
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,407


    oops! was taking the piss out of the wrong person! Sorry ryates
    Last edited by dipper; 12-14-2010 at 03:03 PM.
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

    flash bikes for flash gits

  68. #68
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,654
    oh well, it was a long shot!

    Seriously, there is a lack of comparative test information available on these forks.

    Dipper, out of that list are there any that you will be able to make comparisons with, when eventually you are able to test the BOS Deville?

  69. #69
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,407
    I'm down off my high horse now Ryates.

    I can compare pretty well with the Fox's and and marzocchi but not the other 2. It would be great to be able to try them all back to back but it's too expensive and time consuming. Also, what i like might not be what anyone else likes. If you're a faster, slower, lighter, heavier rider, that'll change the character of the fork. I know some proper fast riders that ride with suspesion thats very stiff but as i'm very much average i cant get away with that

    I will compare them best as i can though
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

    flash bikes for flash gits

  70. #70
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,013
    A nice box arrived today,Thanks Richard(dipper)
    Bos DeVille 140mm



    Last edited by norcosam; 12-24-2010 at 10:58 AM.

  71. #71
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thepimpmessiah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    539
    Lush.

    All I got today was a new oven seal.

  72. #72
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,654
    Nice.

    What's it going on?

  73. #73
    Executive User - UK
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    799
    You'll love em.
    Had mine on my spicy and now moving them to a specialized carbon enduro

  74. #74
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,407
    My stoy and n'dees are all fitted up but have no where to go very impressed with the build quality. Especially the stoy and deville. N'dees looks more basic as it does without fancy machined levers. The dials and the lowers look functional whereas the deville looks more 'engineered'.

    Stoy with steel spring is weighing in at the same weight as my ccdb with ti spring which was a surprise. N'dees is a fraction heavier than my rc3ti.

    Roll on rideable trails!
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

    flash bikes for flash gits

  75. #75
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rpm100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    445
    Anyone with a scale shot showing the weight of the devilles (160mm)? Need to know how close to 2kg they come in at. I've heard their weighing more than stated.

    Cheers

  76. #76
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,407
    Just weighed a brand new set with uncut steerer on a park digital scale. 2060grams
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

    flash bikes for flash gits

  77. #77
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rpm100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    445
    Many thanks dipper, am very tempted....... You will be my first port of call.

  78. #78
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,407
    No problem. I'd have taken a pic but it's boxing day and I can't be arsed!
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

    flash bikes for flash gits

  79. #79
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    210
    Belated merry xmas all...

    I've had a pair of NDee's on my Gambler for the last year. Didnt get as much riding done as liked too but ive given them a good bash at weekends in the UK and rode them a fair bit in my 4 weeks in Switzerland.

    They are PLUSH as hell. Consistent stroke, sit high in their travel, dont dive and are very responsive. I've ridden my fair share of forks and of think the Ndee is superior to the lot (old 66, Totem, 888, 40's, Fox Van & Talas 36) - to be fair the majority of those forks I only rode on 1 or 2 runs so I have them set up the exact way I like them. They are also very stiff and flex free. I think the perfect description for them is as BOS describes them, a mini DH fork, same internal suspension as their dual crown cut down 20mm and put into a single crown: they feel more like a downhill fork cut down than 20mm added to a Talas, Van or Lyric if that makes sense.

    One thing which impressed me about them is their reliability. They feel better than they did a year ago. My bike had been standing on its head in the shed for a solid month until i went for a ride yesterday and they felt perfect. I havent taken them apart but just from the way the ride they feel reliable

    The reviews praise highly of their performance, mine rides brilliantly and the only issue is price. I luckily got them from someone who had one them and wasnt interested in them so I got them at a very good price. If you can afford an Ndee i highly recomend it.

    Ill post pics later although they will be on a Scott

  80. #80
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,013
    I just weighed my Revelations,and they are 1900g air u-turn including maxle.
    so 160g difference.

  81. #81
    "El Whatever"
    Reputation: Warp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    18,844
    Quote Originally Posted by norcosam
    I just weighed my Revelations,and they are 1900g air u-turn including maxle.
    so 160g difference.
    Goo to know... I have one of the RLT Ti Dual Pos-Air. I figured it would be ~1900grsm but now I figure it has to be more like 1850 with the cut steerer. Not bad for 150mm and certainly an improvement over the 2100'ish Pike.

    But... at 2060 for 160mm and the quality of BOS damping, that Deville sounds like a winner.
    I wish I could shell out the money for one. They also come in 140mm flavour.
    Check my Site

  82. #82
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,013
    Warp- My set are the 140mm.I had to wait a few days for them,Then they were stuck in Scotland in the snow.

    My Revs were measured with a 205mm steerer and maxle

  83. #83
    "El Whatever"
    Reputation: Warp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    18,844
    Quote Originally Posted by norcosam
    Warp- My set are the 140mm.I had to wait a few days for them,Then they were stuck in Scotland in the snow.

    My Revs were measured with a 205mm steerer and maxle

    Oh, well... even if mine are ~1900grs, they're definitively lighter than the old Pike and have more travel.

    I haven't measured mine... I don't have a scale, I mostly go by claimed weights when I want to factor weight.
    Check my Site

  84. #84
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,013
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    Oh, well... even if mine are ~1900grs, they're definitively lighter than the old Pike and have more travel.

    I haven't measured mine... I don't have a scale, I mostly go by claimed weights when I want to factor weight.
    Pikes were very heavy,but indestructable.I borrowed a set off my mate for a few months,they were like a ships anchor.

  85. #85
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    560
    Whats the AC on the 160mm Devilles, and do you buy direct from R53 Engineering?

  86. #86
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,013
    Wpuk- I think it was 450mm.

    Brought from Richard@ Gravity-sports
    They are available from Roger @ R53,he seems to know his stuff and is very helpfull.

  87. #87
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,407
    Just sold my last set or I'd measure them for you. Maybe Sam or rpm100(although he won't get his till tomorrow) can measure theirs for you?

    R53 sell to the trade. You may have a dealer close by(there's a list of dealers on the r53 site) but if not give me a shout and I'll sort you out.
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

    flash bikes for flash gits

  88. #88
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    560
    Quote Originally Posted by norcosam
    Wpuk- I think it was 450mm.

    Brought from Richard@ Gravity-sports
    They are available from Roger @ R53,he seems to know his stuff and is very helpfull.
    cheers

    edit: do you mean 550mm? My 150mm revs are 529mm

  89. #89
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,013
    Quote Originally Posted by wpuk
    cheers

    edit: do you mean 550mm? My 150mm revs are 529mm

    oops.Yes 550mm

    think the 140mm Devilles like mine were 529.5mm

  90. #90
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    560
    Including headset change, what would an AC of increase of 24/25mm do to my BB height? Can't find the geo site I was on about before

  91. #91
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    378
    It's about 1/3 but that's very ish! so probably 8mm, but then you have to take into account of the same sag per stroke, and therefore greater drop by % so it's probably more like 25% so therefore 6-7mm if you ride accordingly not a disaster.

  92. #92
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,013
    Would void the warranty on an AC frame.
    i would have thought it would raise it by about 10-12mm,it would slacken the head angle aswell.

  93. #93
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    378
    wpuk based in the south west? then pm me.

  94. #94
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,013
    South west,now we are talking.

  95. #95
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    378
    Await PM

  96. #96
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    560
    Ment AC (axle crown) increase, not on a AC sorry, my bikes an AM (I know the headset increase isn't part of the AC measurement but bottom bit will affect my BB height and I was being lazy with my sentence )

  97. #97
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,013
    It will slacken the HA a bit on an AM.I think thats the reccomended AC height for an AM
    I thought you had an AC to be honest.

  98. #98
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    378
    wpuk run my Am with 555mm Lyrik coil 170 DH and it's fantastic.

  99. #99
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    560
    PM sent, sorry bout the delay, ready up on Valium usage

  100. #100
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    560
    Reading*. Can't find the edit button using phone browser

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 11

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •