Thread: BOS suspension

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    hey?

Leq
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Got a Deville on my Mojo HD.

Any idea what is the stock oil (brand, viscosity) BOS uses to fill these up at the factory?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Are the devilles user serviceable ?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Havent seen any information about it.Would be nice to be able to do the standard oil change after the first year.

Leq
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Owner's manual says:
    "3.4 oil Change
    Apply to a Bos MTB authorized service center to proceeed to tha oil change"

So yeah, you can do it by yourself.

http://www.bosmtb.com/pdf/DevillnotissEN.pdf

http://www.rouler.com.au/uploads/201...listoryLR2.pdf

mtbr member
    Just had the first ride on the afr with stoy and n'dee. It's early days so I'll try not to get carried away untill I've had more time with them but so far I'm very impressed.

Initially, after I'd fitted the fork and shock I was a bit underwhelmed at how they felt. Both were soft and a bit bouncy. Like there wasn't enough damping. I was tempted to start fiddling right away(this is a bad habit gained from years of riding ccdb's and forks with loads of twiddly bits) but thought I'd give Roger at r53 a shout first to see what he had to
    say. Basically, I was advised that this was normal and to wind my neck in and just ride
    the damn thing!

So I did(after adding just a smidge preload to the fork).

I had a few preconceived ideas as to what to expect after reading various reports so i expected good things. What I didn't expect was how different the bike would feel. I've tried loads of forks on the afr and while I liked the 66rc3ti best, the differences between all the top end forks I've tried are pretty subtle. The overall feel of the bike changes little. With the N'dee though it feels completey different. It's easily as plush as the 66 but is far more stable. It brakes, turns and ploughs through bumps without ever feeling like it's using travel. Geo remains very consistent in all situations. The steering feels lighter, like I'm running lighter wheels.

The stoy is similar in feel to the n'dee. Very active without ever feeling bouncy. There's a bit of pedal induced bobbing in low gears with a low effort but up the gears and/or effort at it becomes quite stable. It contributes to the light feel and easy turning with it's liveliness. The ccdb had a far more planted, rock solid feel and while being an awesome shock it could never be described as lively.

It's difficult to describe the overall effect. If someone described a bike as lively to me I'd assume it was either too stiff and skipping about or underdamped and bouncing about. The bos gear manages to be lively while being very well damped and very stable.

Can't wait for drier trails but so far so good
    Last edited by dipper; 01-02-2011 at 12:07 PM.
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

flash bikes for flash gits

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    dipper, interesting......keep the reports coming.

norcosam, any feedback on the Devilles?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    My turn,

My Devilles are the 140 mm version.
    I have done about 30 miles on them so far,Varying terrain.
    The damping on them is quite different as Dipper noted,They feel very bouncy in the car park test,and even with the rebound on fully they are still quite active,I initially set mine up as i would any other fork and ignored the standard settings.Went for a quick blast on a piece of track i know very well,did a few fast runs and set it up how i would usually.Then after i had ridden it a few more times,so i knew how it felt,i changed it to the standard settings that Roger gave me,Very different to mine.Feels awful to bounce when stationary,like a pogo stick,as Dipper said like they have no oil in them.Went and rode the section again,Felt very good,very active,amazing amount of traction and very playfull,makes it easy to pop off things and hop over roots.
    I have now done about 30 more miles with the standard settings but have increased the Rebound by 2 clicks,The only thing that i couldnt get on with was there air pressure settings,i am running them at 10psi ,lower than reccomended.
    The forks sit high in there travel when riding and feel bottomless,yet you can use a lot of the available travel.They dont ramp up like a lot of air forks so feel quite linear.
    Rock gardens and roots are easily dealt with and these forks make you feel very confident and make you want to push you that bit faster.I hit rock gardens yesterday following my mate who usually leaves me on this section,i had to brake so i didnt run into the back of him,rode that piece 3 times and he couldnt keep up with me,Secret is brakes off and let the Forks do there job,they wont let you down.

Waiting for the Bos Stoy Air to be released so i can try it.

Just so you know i was running 2010 150mm dual air Rockshox team revelations with blackbox damping before these.

Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008
    My own subjective findings of the deville has been absolutely first rate. Many of the things mentioned by dipper are true of the deville also, its incredibly plush, however it still rides high in its travel and its never felt uncomposed our out of its depth. Seems to be a bit bi-polar in that one minute its an incredible cross country fork capable of superbly tracking the ground on high speed runs and the next its coping with massive hits from 6-8ft drops.
    After living with it for a couple of months I understand when people say Bos shocks only use the travel they need to and not any more. It doesnt wallow or droop at all.
    Excellent product - no way I could ever go back to fox/rockshox after this.
    I understand the air damped story rear is shipping March next year (although its been true for probably 18 months now!) - hopefully its true this time because it will be an awesome shock to have in comparison to the Vivid air.

great stuff happening in MTBing right now.

EDIT: Running Rockshox Lyrik Coil DH 170mm previously
    EDIT2: Running 20lbs less than recommended at 30% sag

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingboy
    My own subjective findings of the deville has been absolutely first rate. Many of the things mentioned by dipper are true of the deville also, its incredibly plush, however it still rides high in its travel and its never felt uncomposed our out of its depth. Seems to be a bit bi-polar in that one minute its an incredible cross country fork capable of superbly tracking the ground on high speed runs and the next its coping with massive hits from 6-8ft drops.
    After living with it for a couple of months I understand when people say Bos shocks only use the travel they need to and not any more. It doesnt wallow or droop at all.
    Excellent product - no way I could ever go back to fox/rockshox after this.
    I understand the air damped story rear is shipping March next year (although its been true for probably 18 months now!) - hopefully its true this time because it will be an awesome shock to have in comparison to the Vivid air.

great stuff happening in MTBing right now.

EDIT: Running Rockshox Lyrik Coil DH 170mm previously
    EDIT2: Running 20lbs less than recommended at 30% sag
    Noticed that you are running less than the reccomended pressure.Mine has hardly any sag when seated and has about 45mm when in the attack standing position.
    Hows the small bump response on yours,Mine are ok,but not brilliant,definetely the best feeling air fork i have ridden.

mtbr member
    Sam, I've 70mm(180mm fork) sag when in the attack position(since added a preload spacer and it looks less now though). The coil fairly ramps up and because it sits so high when riding i dont think itll be an issue. It's fitted with the fat boy spring but I might order the uber fat boy spring to see what like
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008
    Small bump response is fantastic. I tried air pressures from recommended to probably +20psi and down to -40. I tried to find a balance of damping adjustment and base air pressure and settled at 20psi down from recommended. (Im 95kg BTW). With too high an air pressure you are right that small bump suffers noticeably. I;d try less pressure - the fork doesnt wallow even when you run it lower. It still doesnt bottom out harshly either.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Small bump response is fantastic. I tried air pressures from recommended to probably +20psi and down to -40. I tried to find a balance of damping adjustment and base air pressure and settled at 20psi down from recommended. (Im 95kg BTW). With too high an air pressure you are right that small bump suffers noticeably. I;d try less pressure - the fork doesnt wallow even when you run it lower. It still doesnt bottom out harshly either.
    I did try it a bit lower but it wasnt feeling that nice on steep stuff(going down it).
    Did yours feel better after bedding in?
    Might have another play with the settings.Have decreased the lsc by one click and hsc by 2.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by norcosam
    I did try it a bit lower but it wasnt feeling that nice on steep stuff(going down it).
    Did yours feel better after bedding in?
    Might have another play with the settings.Have decreased the lsc by one click and hsc by 2.
    The n'dee is free of all that adjustment there's screw slots for comp and rebound and that's yer lot! Visually and external adjustment wise the devil looks the more expensive fork. Notsure why the n'dee costs so much more!
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dipper
    The n'dee is free of all that adjustment there's screw slots for comp and rebound and that's yer lot! Visually and external adjustment wise the devil looks the more expensive fork. Notsure why the n'dee costs so much more!

Must be the price of the Coil spring..

The Deville is very well made,all adjusters are anodized aluminium.Looks very nice.
    Would like to go somewhere dry so i can really try them out.

Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008
    The deville was a 1300EUR fork until recently when they dropped it to promote sales.
    Now theres a few out there and seemingly getting positive press they may increase pricing again. I wouldnt have bought blind at 1300EUR but having ridden one now I'd pay 500EUR more for it than its competitors.

The ndee had a similar price discount a few months back to I understand but it was temporary. if I was building a 180mm bike Id have one no question about it.

With regards the air pressure and the downs, I preferred lower pressure with more open damping than higher pressure and more closed damping. Think the fork just breathed better or something. It never felt too soft and still popped off lips nicely. It was perfectly mated with my CCDB on the SPicy and really allowed me to push that bike....

mtbr member
    Be fair enough if it was ti! Still, it's shaping up to be the best fork I've tried so far.
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Be fair enough if it was ti! Still, it's shaping up to be the best fork I've tried so far.
    Steel is more expensive than air

mtbr member
    I did get 3 steel springs I suppose. Shame I might need the 'xxx sumo' one as well!
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    The deville was a 1300EUR fork until recently when they dropped it to promote sales.
    Now theres a few out there and seemingly getting positive press they may increase pricing again. I wouldnt have bought blind at 1300EUR but having ridden one now I'd pay 500EUR more for it than its competitors.

The ndee had a similar price discount a few months back to I understand but it was temporary. if I was building a 180mm bike Id have one no question about it.

With regards the air pressure and the downs, I preferred lower pressure with more open damping than higher pressure and more closed damping. Think the fork just breathed better or something. It never felt too soft and still popped off lips nicely. It was perfectly mated with my CCDB on the SPicy and really allowed me to push that bike....
    What roughly are your settings as there is only 5 kg between us.
    The price of the Deville is amazing at the moment,Glad i brought one at the discounted price,but it is probably worth the full price.
    Will see how long it lasts,it will be a keeper this fork

mtbr member
    I did wonder about the price and the possibility of it going back up. Hopefully not as they're selling well. Might have to buy a few for stock just in case
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

mtbr member
    I hate bank holidays. Just read this thread and it's driving me nuts waiting for my devilles
    Chaps, please do me a favour and pop up some pics.
    Pritty please.....I crave BOS.

mtbr member
    Vikingboy, what comp/rebound settings are you running or did you leave stock?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rpm100
    I crave BOS.
    They're possibly going to be on my shopping list too!

Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rpm100
    I hate bank holidays. Just read this thread and it's driving me nuts waiting for my devilles
    Chaps, please do me a favour and pop up some pics.
    Pritty please.....I crave BOS.

rubbish picture because I didnt take any decent ones after building the bike with them and have now stripped it ready for a new inbound frame....sorry.

Page 5 of 43 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast