Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 400 of 1083

Thread: BOS suspension

  1. #301
    "Its All Good"
    Reputation: Whafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    10,697
    It makes me as happy as a pig in ***** to hear how great this fork is.... But I need a 29er version!!!!!!!!!

    Some serious great feedback on this fork, Bos must and should be fizzing at the bung
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

  2. #302
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    560

    There is a new PRO 2 coming out about now, maybe this will work better with the BOS? Anybody know more about the new version?
    Stainless steel bearings and a stronger axle at the rear (retro fittable) not sure if anything is changing upfront

  3. #303
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    648
    My stoy shock is arriving on Tuesday and tomorrow my 2011 floats will be going up for sale.

  4. #304
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,407
    Pro2's here with no issues. Thats on deville and n'dee.
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

    flash bikes for flash gits

  5. #305
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    560
    Quote Originally Posted by rpm100
    Att,
    The cause of the front wheel play is poor axle design. Basically the axle is designed to be done up 'finger' tight. However some hubs require more preload than others (Pro 2 needs more than CK for example). This means that inorder to clamp the wheel tight I have to slot a 2mm allen key through the tiny hole that goes through the axle grip tabs. This is bad design as I have to use so much torque on such a small key that it nearly always bends... Not good

    I cant believe a revised axle design wont appear before too long.

    .
    When I look at the endcap design on the front on my Hopes I can't help but think they should ship with a shim pack, I might be over thinking it.

  6. #306
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,013
    Will try my hadley in my Devilles see what thats like aswell.

  7. #307
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rpm100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    445
    [QUOTE=loamranger]
    Quote Originally Posted by rpm100
    Att,
    The cause of the front wheel play is poor axle design. Basically the axle is designed to be done up 'finger' tight. However some hubs require more preload than others (Pro 2 needs more than CK for example). This means that inorder to clamp the wheel tight I have to slot a 2mm allen key through the tiny hole that goes through the axle grip tabs. This is bad design as I have to use so much torque on such a small key that it nearly always bends... Not good

    I cant believe a revised axle design wont appear before too long.

    rpm, have you raised this issue with Roger at R53? Any ideas on what hubs would work better with the current axle?

    Chaps, Lets not blow this out of proportion. Poor design of Axle that requires the use of a 2-3mm allen key to operate. That's it.
    In hindsight I was perhaps just over cautious when screwing the axle in originally, and having cracked the lowers on some Fox 40 pinch bolts before perhaps you can understand why....

    Roger is fully aware and I have even visited his engineer a couple of times to investigate/check things over. R53E have been absolutely first class, and always provided an immediate response to my questions.

  8. #308
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,013
    Roger has been quick to respond to my emails aswell.Seems like a good setup he has there.

  9. #309
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rpm100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    445
    On std settings...

    I'm 93kgs loaded up and set the bike to 95-100psi. This gives me about about 30-33% sag, and initially after a few bounces gives the impression that it 'may need more pressure.

    However when on the trail the fork uses very little travel while still offering exceptional small bump feel and very composed mid stroke.
    After the ride which had a few mid size drops to flat I realised I had about 15mm left of travel when I would have expected to have used it all.

    Next step is to have a play with the H/S to see what can be achieved/altered.

  10. #310
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rpm100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    445
    But maybe I don't need the full 160mm travel for 'typical' trail when the fork already feels super plush and bottomless. Better to save the last 15mm for when I really need it!?

  11. #311
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rpm100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    445
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    It makes me as happy as a pig in ***** to hear how great this fork is.... But I need a 29er version!!!!!!!!!
    + 33 (0) 534 25 33 66 ask for Olivier Bossard

  12. #312
    Nicolai
    Reputation: AttitudeBikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    477

    Wink

    Quote Originally Posted by rpm100
    But maybe I don't need the full 160mm travel for 'typical' trail when the fork already feels super plush and bottomless. Better to save the last 15mm for when I really need it!?

    Same issues, here, ended my ride with a 3 feet drop and landed almost flat and had teh fork ard 10-15mm left. Also wondering if i should drop the air pressure hehe...

  13. #313
    steep fast and loose :)
    Reputation: The_Lecht_Rocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,270
    Is there a way of adjusting neg and pos air pressure in the ville like RS revs ?

  14. #314
    steep fast and loose :)
    Reputation: The_Lecht_Rocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,270
    I wonder if the progressive @ir curve is what make them so stable in mid stroke but stops full travel ?

  15. #315
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rpm100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    445
    TLR, they only have 1 air chamber so no. When are you going to try a pair? I'm keen to hear what you think of them, as I know your a fox fanboi so be good to see if even these could sway you

  16. #316
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rpm100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    445
    Riding buddy has just had his 36 Talas's returned today from Mojo (excellent service as usual) with the 2011 Fit cartridge upgrade so will have another Fork to compare the DeVilles to.

  17. #317
    steep fast and loose :)
    Reputation: The_Lecht_Rocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,270
    I had a brief shot of my mates very brief.... they felt quote boingy but his settings were not suited to me.
    My 2011 fit floats are stunning too.. love them...

    In saying that I have a set of revelation dual sir teams that I rode this weekend and they are also excellent so far....

  18. #318
    steep fast and loose :)
    Reputation: The_Lecht_Rocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,270
    Spelling predictive text on phone errors sorry

  19. #319
    Executive User - UK
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    799
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Lecht_Rocks
    I wonder if the progressive @ir curve is what make them so stable in mid stroke but stops full travel ?
    Er, no.
    I have mine setup stable mid stroke and utilising full travel.
    I think its just new user figuring out optimum setup.

  20. #320
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,654
    Just received my Devilles and Stoy. Absolutely stoked by the finish. Supplied with a 350lb spring for a 95kg rider.

    If they ride as good as they look then the combination will be dynamite.

    Stoy users: any set-up advice? Thanks.

  21. #321
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,407
    Stoy users: any set-up advice? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

    Yep. Bolt it in and ride it. Touch nothing till you're sure there's something needs adjusting. I added 2 clicks LSC and that was it
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

    flash bikes for flash gits

  22. #322
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    378
    Hey Dipper that's the only change i have made over 2 years, 2 clicks of LSC nothing else.

  23. #323
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,654
    Yep. Bolt it in and ride it. Touch nothing till you're sure there's something needs adjusting. I added 2 clicks LSC and that was it[/QUOTE]

    Sound advice. Thanks.

  24. #324
    Nicolai
    Reputation: AttitudeBikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    477
    Stoy.... Hmmm...

  25. #325
    "Its All Good"
    Reputation: Whafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    10,697
    Quote Originally Posted by rpm100
    + 33 (0) 534 25 33 66 ask for Olivier Bossard
    Thanks for those details, have been in touch with them some months back when first putting the plans / thoughts together on the AM29er...

    I believe dipper will have asked also for him / me & others

    Also have had a french friend whom knows the Bos crew well, he was riding Bos frames also...

    At this point the bog no from Bos, that may change in time though, fingers crossed, amongst other things.
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

  26. #326
    from 0 - sideways 3.2 sec
    Reputation: derekr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,478
    I have bos envy, kit looks great and had a look at my mates Devilles and i couldnt beleive how light and well made they were, Very very nice.
    Visit - www.gravity-sports.co.uk - Exclusive high end MTB Products

  27. #327
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    560
    Got my Devilles yesterday , hopefully have them on the bike by the weekend, need to juggle work about to get anytime off to get out on them though

  28. #328
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,654
    Happy riding....send us your findings.

  29. #329
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    560
    Anyone seen (got a link) to a guide for servicing/oil change on the devilles?

  30. #330
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    378
    loam ranger what stroke is your stoy and on what bike only asking because I've got a 450lb spring on 63mm stroke with AM 171 travel and at 85kg feels good. so was surprised you have a 350 at 95kg.

  31. #331
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    560
    Is the Stoy purely a DH shock? how is it on the trail and small bump compliance, does it pedal well?

  32. #332
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    89
    Like wpuk , I would be really interested to know how well the Stoy pedals , or is it purely for DH fun.
    I was tempted by the Stoy , but I have 3 bikes that will take a 200 x 50 shock , so I went with the CCDB as I could set it up myself for each bike.

  33. #333
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,407
    Quote Originally Posted by Garry AM
    loam ranger what stroke is your stoy and on what bike only asking because I've got a 450lb spring on 63mm stroke with AM 171 travel and at 85kg feels good. so was surprised you have a 350 at 95kg.
    Garry, I'm 90 odd kg as well and have a 325lb spring at 175mm on the afr. Pretty much bang on 30% sag.

    What's your sag?
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

    flash bikes for flash gits

  34. #334
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,654
    Quote Originally Posted by Garry AM
    loam ranger what stroke is your stoy and on what bike only asking because I've got a 450lb spring on 63mm stroke with AM 171 travel and at 85kg feels good. so was surprised you have a 350 at 95kg.
    Garry AM, it's 200 x 57, going on a Knolly Endorphin. I was a little surprised myself with 350. I'll check with Roger. Probably ride her at the end of this month and I will then post report.

    Cheers.

  35. #335
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,654
    Quote Originally Posted by wpuk
    Is the Stoy purely a DH shock? how is it on the trail and small bump compliance, does it pedal well?
    wpuk, air version apparently due in March may be worth waiting?

  36. #336
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    560
    Quote Originally Posted by loamranger
    wpuk, air version apparently due in March may be worth waiting?

    Cheers, dont suppose you have a source for that, the Stoy air has been muted for some time now, would be great if its eventually made it through

  37. #337
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,654
    Quote Originally Posted by wpuk
    Cheers, dont suppose you have a source for that, the Stoy air has been muted for some time now, would be great if its eventually made it through
    Give Roger a ring at R53.

  38. #338
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,654
    Quote Originally Posted by dipper
    Garry, I'm 90 odd kg as well and have a 325lb spring at 175mm on the afr. Pretty much bang on 30% sag.

    What's your sag?
    Garry, how many turns of preload are you running? Roger says no more than 3 max and set sag between 30 to 40 %.

  39. #339
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    560
    Quote Originally Posted by loamranger
    Give Roger a ring at R53.
    Cheers

    Just spoke to him and he said around April time and that'll they'll put it up on their website when they get a firm date

  40. #340
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,654
    Quote Originally Posted by dipper
    hope hub by any chance?
    I spoke to Roger about this and he says that those using Pro2's should use a allen key to "tommy bar" them tight. A guy on F 140 has also experienced this problem with the Vengeance and on his Devilles.Tightening should solve the problem?

    rpm 100, how are you getting on with this issue?

  41. #341
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    560
    Quote Originally Posted by loamranger
    I spoke to Roger about this and he says that those using Pro2's should use a allen key to "tommy bar" them tight. A guy on F 140 has also experienced this problem with the Vengeance and on his Devilles.Tightening should solve the problem?

    rpm 100, how are you getting on with this issue?

    Will need to have a look at mine when i fit it, but wouldnt putting a thin plastic washer on the underside of the end cap be a solution as well?

  42. #342
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rpm100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    445
    Have to carry a separate 2mm allen key on the trail to use in the axle. I can see me getting through a fair few as well, due to the torque required I have already put a slight bend in the key.

    Far from ideal and can't believe there won't be a revised axle design.

    The same happens on my Chris King wheel also so no Hope bashing please.

  43. #343
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    560
    Dont think anyones bashed them, for me im changing my rear out to a CK, one for lack of confidence due to axle snapping reports and 2 for POE, the front end if it turns out to be an issue (and i cant resolve it to my liking) switching to a DT240s (after further investigation) up front wouldnt bother me

  44. #344
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    560
    Quote Originally Posted by rpm100
    Have to carry a separate 2mm allen key on the trail to use in the axle. I can see me getting through a fair few as well, due to the torque required I have already put a slight bend in the key.

    Far from ideal and can't believe there won't be a revised axle design.

    The same happens on my Chris King wheel also so no Hope bashing please.

    Not that its a great differnence but im sure im my instructions it says use 2.5mm (may be enough to stop it bending)

    Bit of hassle but pop down your local DIY store get some 2.5mm rod, fashion it into an open ended rectangle with a bit of overlap on the open end, when you clip it though the hole position it so it braces against itself when turned (might help, might be crap, ill let you know if i end up doing it myself and whether it works or not)

  45. #345
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by Garry AM
    loam ranger what stroke is your stoy and on what bike only asking because I've got a 450lb spring on 63mm stroke with AM 171 travel and at 85kg feels good. so was surprised you have a 350 at 95kg.
    I'm pretty much the same weight as you are and currently run a 400 spring at the same settings. It's a touch too soft. Running preload at 2 turns solves it, but i feel the 450 is the better package. Target is about 30% sag.
    Trying to get my hands on one.

    @dipper:
    The longer AFR shock gives you lower leverage, no wonder you're on a softer spring.

    @wpuk:
    the stoy is a pure DH shock. But other than the heigher weight than an airshock I can't feel any downsides. Coming from a DHX Air I can say that it pedals at least as good as this shock. the quality compression damping on the stoy leads to very little suspension movement, even pedaling standing.

  46. #346
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,407
    Quote Originally Posted by jfb1
    Like wpuk , I would be really interested to know how well the Stoy pedals , or is it purely for DH fun.
    I was tempted by the Stoy , but I have 3 bikes that will take a 200 x 50 shock , so I went with the CCDB as I could set it up myself for each bike.
    It's definitely not dh only. I'm using mine for everything and it's just as competent as the ccdb was at pedaling. Same for the ndee. They state that it's a mini dh fork but the reality is that it pedals better than any fork I've ridden. Even standing a cranking it remains stable.
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

    flash bikes for flash gits

  47. #347
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,407
    Quote Originally Posted by BeezKneez
    I'm pretty much the same weight as you are and currently run a 400 spring at the same settings. It's a touch too soft. Running preload at 2 turns solves it, but i feel the 450 is the better package. Target is about 30% sag.
    Trying to get my hands on one.

    @dipper:
    The longer AFR shock gives you lower leverage, no wonder you're on a softer spring.

    @wpuk:
    the stoy is a pure DH shock. But other than the heigher weight than an airshock I can't feel any downsides. Coming from a DHX Air I can say that it pedals at least as good as this shock. the quality compression damping on the stoy leads to very little suspension movement, even pedaling standing.
    Yes you're right. I should have qualified my statement. I'm running 325lb with the travel at 175mm. At 185mm it's a 350. whereas i was running a 450 on the ccdb with same sag at 185mm . So it's normal to be running lower spring rate than expected.
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

    flash bikes for flash gits

  48. #348
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    648
    I've only got a 550lb spring. 2.5inch shock 140mm of travel

  49. #349
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    378
    Sag is 30%, and it pedals fine. Was considering going down to 425 spring from 450 but only in Obtainium so a bit pricey. I run only 1/2 turn of pre load, the less pre load the better.

  50. #350
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thepimpmessiah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    539
    CRC have some old 5th Element springs in odd ratings like 425# - pretty sure they will fit and they were very cheap when I last looked.

  51. #351
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,407
    Yes they'll fit. Or bos do their springs in 25lb increments. I'd have to check how much the are though.

    Tpm- still contemplating the stoy?
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

    flash bikes for flash gits

  52. #352
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thepimpmessiah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    539
    Quote Originally Posted by dipper
    Tpm- still contemplating the stoy?
    Oh yes... much contemplation going on

  53. #353
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,245
    Ok guys, you've thrown me into turmoil now!

    How does the BOS compare to a Marzocchi 55rc3ti, anyone know. Obviously they are 400g lighter, but I'm less worried about that than I used to be, but lighter is nicer obviously. I'm running 36 floats at the moment, cant seem to stop the dive without mucho lsr or more air pressure than i'd prefer as I then only use 80% travel.

    I have an Evil Sov so am going to drop the floats to 140 and put them on that.

    You've all put me off Lyrik coil DH's with these reviews!!!

    Using CK hubs so the axle issue makes me think though.

    BOS is £100 more than a 2011 Marz RC3 so no biggie there I'm 11 stone so not worried about the stiffness question?

    I like plush, I hate dive!

  54. #354
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,654
    pilot, if you tighten the axle with a bar or allen key through the hole, there should be no problem. I have tried with Hope Pro 2's and DT 240's and have no issues.

  55. #355
    sapienti sat est
    Reputation: BikeBert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    257
    Hi there.

    I'm about to get Deville. I have one problem with BOS forks though. I downloaded the "manual" for Deville hoping to see some service instructions. Not a word on how to change oil, what kind of oil, how much of it, etc.

    Hence my question:
    Are BOS Deville forks user serviceable?

    I can't imagine sending the fork back to France each year for a service [I'm from Poland].
    BTW, any idea about the cost of such service?

    Thank you.
    ____________________
    | Picasa | YouTube | Pinkbike |

  56. #356
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,654
    BikeBert, you can get them serviced in the UK by R53.

  57. #357
    sapienti sat est
    Reputation: BikeBert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    257
    Quote Originally Posted by loamranger
    BikeBert, you can get them serviced in the UK by R53.
    Thanks loamranger. How much is the service in UK?
    ____________________
    | Picasa | YouTube | Pinkbike |

  58. #358
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rpm100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    445
    Pilot, the axle thing is no biggy, as loam says you may just have to use an Allen key to nip them tight, its no issue. The forks certainly resists dive.
    Having seen a set of idyles internals next to a pair of 888's there is absolute no question which is the better constructed (different forks granted but been assured the devilles guts are as good as their big brothers). Like a swiss watch inside........

  59. #359
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rpm100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    445
    Plus the devilles look like they were made for your setup

  60. #360
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,245
    Thanks guys. And thanks for not pointing out I wrote lsr, I meant LSC!

    I'll have a think and count my pennies!

  61. #361
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,407
    Quote Originally Posted by the_pilot
    Ok guys, you've thrown me into turmoil now!

    How does the BOS compare to a Marzocchi 55rc3ti, anyone know. Obviously they are 400g lighter, but I'm less worried about that than I used to be, but lighter is nicer obviously. I'm running 36 floats at the moment, cant seem to stop the dive without mucho lsr or more air pressure than i'd prefer as I then only use 80% travel.

    I have an Evil Sov so am going to drop the floats to 140 and put them on that.

    You've all put me off Lyrik coil DH's with these reviews!!!

    Using CK hubs so the axle issue makes me think though.

    BOS is £100 more than a 2011 Marz RC3 so no biggie there I'm 11 stone so not worried about the stiffness question?

    I like plush, I hate dive!
    Sounds like the devilles are for you. The biggest difference between a bos fork and any other fork is the way they resist dive while remaining plush and well damped. You won't be disappointed
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

    flash bikes for flash gits

  62. #362
    steep fast and loose :)
    Reputation: The_Lecht_Rocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,270
    New 2011 36 float fit not only resists dive bit offers a superb stiff chassis .

    Mojo are offering some deal on fit cartridge upgrade.

    I was suspicious about the improvement but am now convinced.

    G

  63. #363
    steep fast and loose :)
    Reputation: The_Lecht_Rocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,270
    And if you decide to go bos at least the floats are upgraded for the sov.
    I had the choice to get the deville instead of the fit float and went fox.
    No regrets especially when I hear about some of their issues.

  64. #364
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rpm100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    445
    Tlr speaks truth. Might be worth speaking to mojo abut the 2011 FIT cartridge and what the improvements over your current setup.. Cheaper option?!

  65. #365
    "Its All Good"
    Reputation: Whafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    10,697
    But TLR, have you had a test ride on the DeVille?

    If so what are your thoughts compared to the Fox Floats?
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

  66. #366
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,654
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeBert
    Thanks loamranger. How much is the service in UK?
    Not sure exactly.....dipper do you know? Otherwise drop Roger at R53 a line. I would imagine it is comparable with other manufacturers prices....£70 or so?

  67. #367
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,013
    Think Roger told me a full service is about £120 not sure on the standard Oil change.

  68. #368
    sapienti sat est
    Reputation: BikeBert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    257
    Quote Originally Posted by norcosam
    Think Roger told me a full service is about £120 not sure on the standard Oil change.
    Roger that

    Roger, can you confirm this? How about a simple price list for some basic services?

    Thank you.
    ____________________
    | Picasa | YouTube | Pinkbike |

  69. #369
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,407
    Dont think rogers on here but I'll get the details off him.
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

    flash bikes for flash gits

  70. #370
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,245
    I'm on 2010 FIT, haven't they just inverted it for 2011?

    I think given assorted horror stories of creaking stantions, stantion wear, very regular servicing etc. For FOX, I have never had these issues by the way, a relatively minor, nip the axle up on some types of hubs with an allen key, if that's the only issue they ever have could be pretty good!!

    If I upgrade the Fox's I still need a fork for the SOV...just acquiring some V2s as my older M4 IS setup I was going to use wont work very well post mount, oh well!!!

    I'm erring on the Deville, I like the idea they ride high, maintaining the slacker angle and resist dive. I have no issues with the Fox's damping once in its travel and hitting the trail, particularly properly set up to use its travel, its just in that setup when I nail the brakes, unless the lsc is wound up to 12-13 clicks I feel like the endo is nigh..

  71. #371
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    56
    My deville is still performing excellent.
    But I noticed quite a bit of bushing play after 5 rides now.
    At the beginning of every fork movement there is a slight knock.
    How are your devilles?

  72. #372
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    15
    I think the knock is the shimstak and normally.

  73. #373
    steep fast and loose :)
    Reputation: The_Lecht_Rocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,270
    Quote Originally Posted by lakekeman
    My deville is still performing excellent.
    But I noticed quite a bit of bushing play after 5 rides now.
    At the beginning of every fork movement there is a slight knock.
    How are your devilles?
    .....tell us more lakeman - are you riding in UK conditions ?

    i wonder how the deville seals compare to RS / Marz / Fox etc ?

  74. #374
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,013
    Mine feel like they have bushing play,but when wobbling the bike front to rear with the front brake on you can feel something,If you take the weight of the bike and do it its not there.From holding the bike and feeling where the seals are its the legs moving in and out of the lowers,due to lack of stiction.No play just the fork doing its job.

  75. #375
    steep fast and loose :)
    Reputation: The_Lecht_Rocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,270
    no stction - kak passing via seals then ?

  76. #376
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,407
    Highly unlikely to be bushes after such a short time. Probably shimstack as mentioned but no idea if it's normal or not. Ill talk to Roger over the next couple of days about the issues mentioned and see what he says
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

    flash bikes for flash gits

  77. #377
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,013
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Lecht_Rocks
    no stction - kak passing via seals then ?
    Oil change yearly,full service every 2 years.Cant be that bad.

    Whats a Fox? After every ride.
    What about Rockshox? Are they 20 hrs for a lower service

  78. #378
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,407
    Quote Originally Posted by norcosam
    Mine feel like they have bushing play,but when wobbling the bike front to rear with the front brake on you can feel something,If you take the weight of the bike and do it its not there.From holding the bike and feeling where the seals are its the legs moving in and out of the lowers,due to lack of stiction.No play just the fork doing its job.

    My ndee's are like that. First 10mm or so of travel is almost 'loose' when rocking them back and fore. That's normal.

    Seems the first part of the travel is very plush, mid stroke where you spend a lot of time is very supportive and provides great feedback. Last part ramps up nicely for good bottom out control.
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

    flash bikes for flash gits

  79. #379
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,013
    Fox and Rockshox are both 25hrs for a lower service.

    Dipper-

  80. #380
    sapienti sat est
    Reputation: BikeBert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    257
    Quote Originally Posted by dipper
    Highly unlikely to be bushes after such a short time. Probably shimstack as mentioned but no idea if it's normal or not. Ill talk to Roger over the next couple of days about the issues mentioned and see what he says
    Dipper, please let us know what's Roger's take on this issue. BTW, ask him about the service cost.

    I almost got a heart attack when I read of bushing play here as I just ordered Deville to replace my crappy 36 Talas. Fox with its every few hours service is just ridiculous.
    I personally think it's impossible for BOS forks to have a play after couple of rides. Look at their rally car shocks. It's a piece of art. They wouldn't last long on the market, especially in the rally industry if they deliver a crappy product.

    @ The_Lecht_Rocks - are you paid to advertise and praise Fox in here? Sorry but your criticism of BOS forks seems to be baseless and biased. Are you just mad you didn't get BOS instead of the overrated Fox?
    ____________________
    | Picasa | YouTube | Pinkbike |

  81. #381
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    560
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeBert

    @ The_Lecht_Rocks - are you paid to advertise and praise Fox in here? Sorry but your criticism of BOS forks seems to be baseless and biased. Are you just mad you didn't get BOS instead of the overrated Fox?
    In TLR defense he's pretty consistent in talking sh1te about pretty much everything he posts in this forum

  82. #382
    steep fast and loose :)
    Reputation: The_Lecht_Rocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,270
    fox servicing takes me less than 15 minutes every 6 weeks or so. hardly a hardship.
    reliability has been 1st class [stored upside down] since Fox debuted in the UK.
    i have no reason to stray, but also now have RS Revelation Dual Airs on another bike.
    they look equally as easy to perform a wiper service looking at the instructions.

    keep the lubrication oil clean and get the cartridge service done once a year [or PX which I normally do] and its easy.

    regarding BOS, only time will tell. the NDEEE's on dippers AFR are sublime, but I prefer the 36mm stanchion of the Fox over the 34mm on the Deville. The crown on the deville looks underwhelming too.

    if you want objectivity, meet me in the pub.

    if you want someone to bum-f**k your opinion, keep hoping.

    it's a consumer forum and i'm entitled to base my [Fox] comment on my experience.

    French products, as I initially mentioned are usually TAT and I wish you the best of luck as you'll most probably need it.

  83. #383
    steep fast and loose :)
    Reputation: The_Lecht_Rocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,270
    should have said i have about 10 years riding Fox.
    how many hours ? thousands.
    never ever had a problem on any of them. friends have but they abuse the fork seal and don't store them correctly.
    year after year they have performed, therefore proven themselves to me.

    how many thousands of hours have any of you got on BOS ?

  84. #384
    Executive User - UK
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    799
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Lecht_Rocks
    French products, as I initially mentioned are usually TAT and I wish you the best of luck as you'll most probably need it.
    I thought those kind of opinions went out around 1995!?

    Might surprise you that there are some world class leading products coming out of countries like France & Italy.....and if Hope is what we are backing our reputation on here in the UK as a country of engineering excellence then we really are on thin ice! You need to open your eyes buddy and drop the prejudices.

  85. #385
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    560
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Lecht_Rocks
    fox servicing takes me less than 15 minutes every 6 weeks or so. hardly a hardship.
    reliability has been 1st class [stored upside down] since Fox debuted in the UK.
    i have no reason to stray, but also now have RS Revelation Dual Airs on another bike.
    they look equally as easy to perform a wiper service looking at the instructions.

    keep the lubrication oil clean and get the cartridge service done once a year [or PX which I normally do] and its easy.

    regarding BOS, only time will tell. the NDEEE's on dippers AFR are sublime, but I prefer the 36mm stanchion of the Fox over the 34mm on the Deville. The crown on the deville looks underwhelming too.

    if you want objectivity, meet me in the pub.

    if you want someone to bum-f**k your opinion, keep hoping.

    it's a consumer forum and i'm entitled to base my [Fox] comment on my experience.

    French products, as I initially mentioned are usually TAT and I wish you the best of luck as you'll most probably need it.
    No ones denying you an opinion, this forums quite eclectic and it's the main reason I come here. Having said that pretty much everyone else doesnt come across as a passive agrresive irrational little b1tch

  86. #386
    sapienti sat est
    Reputation: BikeBert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    257
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Lecht_Rocks
    should have said i have about 10 years riding Fox.
    how many hours ? thousands.
    never ever had a problem on any of them. friends have but they abuse the fork seal and don't store them correctly.
    French products, as I initially mentioned are usually TAT and I wish you the best of luck as you'll most probably need it.
    I own a French car and I haven't had any problem with it unlike my friends who own "übermench" German and geeky Japanese cars. I'm probably lucky then. Nevertheless, I predict I will be lucky with BOS fork too. Besides I don't have to park my car upside down in order to keep it running smooth

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Lecht_Rocks
    how many thousands of hours have any of you got on BOS ?
    I bet I will get more hours from BOS with no service than from any other brand, especially Fox. And again I won't have to store my bike upside down which I find simply dumb
    ____________________
    | Picasa | YouTube | Pinkbike |

  87. #387
    "Its All Good"
    Reputation: Whafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    10,697
    Get your popcorn folks, we have us a shoot out..... Yeah ha...

    TLR - keep on topic, let us not stoop and bring prejudices into the robust debate.... Are there any English cars made that dont leak oil these days?
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

  88. #388
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    560
    Got them fitted, Won't get get chance to get out on them till the weekend, will echo what someone else has already said in that with a Reset headset there was space left for 15mm of spacer on the top, which suits me fine as it saves cutting the column.

  89. #389
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,407
    Just been talking to Roger.

    On the axle front, bos are developing a new handle that will allow more torque but for those that do have play, man up and put some effort into it or use an Allen key. (sarcasm mine and not Rogers by the way)

    For lake man - maybe worth giving roger a call and talking through the issue with him. He's doubts very much it's the bushes but is happy to take a look at it or discuss it with you. Let us know how you get on

    As for servicing. The reason bos get away with such long service intervals is due to the hard anodizing of the internals and seals derived from their Dakar experiences where low friction and excellent sealing is a must. Isuspension with non treated internals the oil becomes contaminated even with perfect sealing due to the wear and tear of the moving parts. Hard ano internals helps keep the oil clean.

    Prices for the deville service will be @ £130. just waiting on part prices to confirm. A service includes full strip down, inspection, internal and external seals and rebuild with fresh oil. Essentially you'll get back a brand new fork for the money.

    Interval oil changes will be easy and Rogers pushing for a step by step instruction manual from bos. If he doesn't see it soon he's gojng to make one himself.

    Oil can be had from Roger or via any bos dealer

    Hope that helps
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

    flash bikes for flash gits

  90. #390
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,013
    I wont be going back to a Revelation after riding the Bos Deville,I have never been keen on Fox,i have a set of 40's on my ION and they work ok,But would trade them in an instant for a set of BOS Forks.
    Whilst TLR is servicing his forks every 6 weeks,the Bos owners will be out riding

  91. #391
    mtbr member
    Reputation: shakeyakey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    228
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeBert
    I own a French car and I haven't had any problem with it unlike my friends who own "übermench" German and geeky Japanese cars
    maybe you should of bought a lapierre instead of a Nicolai then??

  92. #392
    steep fast and loose :)
    Reputation: The_Lecht_Rocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,270
    15 minutes is hardly an inconvenience. Goof to heat about the hard anovintetnals. That does make sense...

  93. #393
    Executive User - UK
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    799
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Lecht_Rocks
    Goof to heat about the hard anovintetnals. That does make sense...
    unlike the first half of your "sentence"

  94. #394
    sapienti sat est
    Reputation: BikeBert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    257
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingboy
    unlike the first half of your "sentence"

    Hahaha. You guys made a nice relaxing break at my work...

    I will always choose no-maintenance fork over Fox with its high maintenance soul even if it takes 15 minutes or turning my bike upside down before every ride.
    ____________________
    | Picasa | YouTube | Pinkbike |

  95. #395
    steep fast and loose :)
    Reputation: The_Lecht_Rocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,270
    Phone lacks predictive intelligence....

  96. #396
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Lecht_Rocks
    French products, as I initially mentioned are usually TAT
    Funniest argument, ever.

  97. #397
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Lecht_Rocks
    should have said i have about 10 years riding Fox.
    how many hours ? thousands.
    never ever had a problem on any of them. friends have but they abuse the fork seal and don't store them correctly.
    year after year they have performed, therefore proven themselves to me.

    how many thousands of hours have any of you got on BOS ?
    I have been riding mine for more than a year now... Without servicing it, I mean, nothing at all. And no prob.

  98. #398
    from 0 - sideways 3.2 sec
    Reputation: derekr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,478
    I'm looking forward to trying the BOS kit, shame i just got these fox's or i'd deffo be interested in the ndee although its prob. alot heavier?
    Visit - www.gravity-sports.co.uk - Exclusive high end MTB Products

  99. #399
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    648
    Well I've just fitted a stoy shock and devils to my am, first ride hopefully tomorrow

  100. #400
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    138
    Anyone know if there is anyway to lower a Deville 160mm to 150mm?

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 13

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •