Page 37 of 43 FirstFirst ... 27 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ... LastLast

Thread: BOS suspension

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I think I've got full travel back on my Devilles (not actually riden yet). I followed Mad Elk's advice and pulled up on the crown to extend to full length and then let all the air out and pumped up again, cycling every 3 bars up to 9 bar and then adjusted to ride pressure. Not in a hurry to try since I'm really liking the Idylles at the moment. Probably going to use the Devilles with a lighter 650b build I have in mind. Next, I'm going to get my Stoy retuned for my new frame to replace the DB air. I'm sceptical if the new BOS air forks are going to be as good as the old coil's, since switching from Devilles to Idylle I can really feel the difference.

Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008
    @Tdmax: i wonder if the detergents in your bike wash have caused issues - you dnt use muc off or such thing do you? My seals are mint and I ride in all sorts of crap (Uk weather and all that).

Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by loamranger View Post
    I think I've got full travel back on my Devilles (not actually riden yet). I followed Mad Elk's advice and pulled up on the crown to extend to full length and then let all the air out and pumped up again, cycling every 3 bars up to 9 bar and then adjusted to ride pressure. Not in a hurry to try since I'm really liking the Idylles at the moment. Probably going to use the Devilles with a lighter 650b build I have in mind. Next, I'm going to get my Stoy retuned for my new frame to replace the DB air. I'm sceptical if the new BOS air forks are going to be as good as the old coil's, since switching from Devilles to Idylle I can really feel the difference.
    I have a couple of friends who have all jumped onto DH air Idylles from the coil versions and swear by them over the coil versions. Im likely going to try a set and a void next year, feel free to come have a go when they are here. Would be good to catchup again.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingboy View Post
    I have a couple of friends who have all jumped onto DH air Idylles from the coil versions and swear by them over the coil versions. Im likely going to try a set and a void next year, feel free to come have a go when they are here. Would be good to catchup again.
    If that's the case then I'm getting some as well. They won't be as reliable though? And they don't have 1 1/8 steerer which is an advantage when fitting to a 1.5 head tube because you can keep the front lower by using a ZS bottom cup. When is the SC air available?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingboy View Post
    @Tdmax: i wonder if the detergents in your bike wash have caused issues - you dnt use muc off or such thing do you? My seals are mint and I ride in all sorts of crap (Uk weather and all that).
    Hi Viking, i usually clean my bikes only by water, i use a drop of soap only on the frame.
    Usually i need only to remove dry dust, Rarely i ride on mud because here we have a lot of rocks and gravel.
    I use a motorbike soap but i always used it on all my bikes and motorbikes and this is the first time i have a problem.

About lubricating stanchion i think it would be useful on wet condition, in my case i think that oil can attract dust. Am i right?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    How do you lube the stanchion? I try to keep it clean and avoid to wash with water/detergent but i've never lube it. After 8 months of abuse mine is getting a bit dry and lost the initial extra plush feeling, anyway is awesome. In the next month there's an enduro race, after that i plan to make a service.

Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008
    Bos say not to use anything at all but I quite like a little spray of this stuff....and then wipe down so its not dripping and doesnt attract grime and crud. My seals are like new on both sets of forks I have (devilles and Idylles)

Fork Juice

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Do you wash your forks only with water right?
    I usually do the same.

Sometime i use teflonglide oil (protone suspensions special product).

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by juan_manuel View Post
    How do you lube the stanchion? I try to keep it clean and avoid to wash with water/detergent but i've never lube it. After 8 months of abuse mine is getting a bit dry and lost the initial extra plush feeling, anyway is awesome. In the next month there's an enduro race, after that i plan to make a service.
    Fork Juice spray or Stendec fork grease.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I use Brunox Deo fork lube after rides

also I recommend you to check the oil level in air leg -> I had the same issues (not feeling very plush) and after oil check (there was none!) the fork became amazing again

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by thresh View Post
    I use Brunox Deo fork lube after rides

also I recommend you to check the oil level in air leg -> I had the same issues (not feeling very plush) and after oil check (there was none!) the fork became amazing again
    How did you do it?
    I don't know how to open the fork
    on one leg there is a socked head scew, ok, but on the other?
    You need to remove knobs?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    For sure mine has little oil but i dont want to service or open if i dont have the dustwiper seals or other stuff thats needs to be replaced.
    I'll try to get that fork juice, looks delicious 😁

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Pilot, Viking,
    Like you guys I love the S**Toy on my 26" '011 AM.
    Having just got a VIP'r from Dipper, though, I have to say that's a hell of a lot easier to pedal. It's very smooth too, very grippy, good on roots. Of course I'm sureI can't expect it to hold up as well on big "Alpine" rocks as the Stoy, but right now in the woods it's giving me a far easier time pedalling up.
    I have quite a few BOS bits now so I really hope UK servicing works out with the Irish bunch.

Man the mud is sticky here in Brighton, full of leaves too, really blocks the transmission big time. The woods are certainly looking beautiful though.
    Viking, I must come up to Swinley again when (if) it dries out a bit, riding your tracks was a great day out. Thanks again of the session.
    Neil

mtbr member
    I've got a Deville 170 and a Vip'r on my Helius AM, and they work very well!
    But i may use them a bit too hard

For the moment, nothing goes wrong... It works exactly as i want!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I'd be carefull with Brunox. I dont think BOS recommend this solution to their forks as it dissolves the grease from underneath the seals.

Regarding the Mad Elk boys they are well known here in Dublin. Sound lads and very passionate riders. Good luck to them.

Got my Deville of them last week and had a chat with them. They did the servicing training in France and I saw they had the BOS tools too.

I thought my Lyriks were awesome but no - this is awesome. Ordered a Vipr too to as at the moment my bike rides like a racing horse shot in the arse - amazingly performing front bouncers + rear monarch RT3 trying to follow

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Fork Juice and Brunox

Quote Originally Posted by lukaDH View Post
    I'd be carefull with Brunox. I dont think BOS recommend this solution to their forks as it dissolves the grease from underneath the seals.

Regarding the Mad Elk boys they are well known here in Dublin. Sound lads and very passionate riders. Good luck to them.

Got my Deville of them last week and had a chat with them. They did the servicing training in France and I saw they had the BOS tools too.

I thought my Lyriks were awesome but no - this is awesome. Ordered a Vipr too to as at the moment my bike rides like a racing horse shot in the arse - amazingly performing front bouncers + rear monarch RT3 trying to follow
    Hia,

Good to have your opinion of the Mad Elk guys, such a releif that we now have an English speaking Service centre.

Enjoy your Deville, it's pretty tough, designed for Enduro, developed by monsieur Vouilloz I think, have you seen the vid. of him on Devilles. He rides pretty hard (smooth tho).
    Vouilloz testing the BOS Deville
    Mind you, if you like the Deville you might love the Idylle SC, fair bit more hardcore and even better than Deville in some ways, stiffer for sure, definitely has the same "family" feel.
    Mind you, so does VIP'r and S**Toy.

Is Brunox similar to Fork Juice? BOS definitely dont want solvents near there but
    I think a silicon lube spray is ok, BOS manual says:
    "3.2 Cleaning your forks
    It is compulsory to clean your forks every time you use them, without waiting !
    Nothing’s worse for your fork’s seals than dry mud.
    It is very simple to clean your forks : wipe off the stanchion with a clean rag and then slightly lube the stanchion (with silicon based product). Use of degreaser is totally forbidden.
    On the same note do not power wash the forks! It will only push the mud inside the forks and get it stuck between the stanchion and the seals."

Have fun
    Neil

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mudfish801 View Post
    definitely has the same "family" feel.
    Mind you, so does VIP'r and S**Toy.

Neil
    Deville are lighter than the Idylle and I needed 170mm max. For the rear I wanted to get the Void but no luck since they don't come in 200x57 sizes. I'd say Vipr will be a good match for the devilles and more balanced on uphills.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Hi

Does anyone have any experience of the vip'r clicking as it goes through its travel in the soft setting? It's fairly loud and pretty off putting when riding. The shock is new and had been back to France already but it's come back and still sounding a touch ropey. It's on a tracer 2.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by StressedComa View Post
    Hi

Does anyone have any experience of the vip'r clicking as it goes through its travel in the soft setting? It's fairly loud and pretty off putting when riding. The shock is new and had been back to France already but it's come back and still sounding a touch ropey. It's on a tracer 2.
    It's "normal":

It depends of the setting. You can't change it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I never heard that
    Have you really carefully gone through the equalisation?
    Are you SURE it's the shock?
    Can you put the old one back on and not have the noise?
    If so, you then need to look at the shock mounting points [bushings] carefully.
    Could it be the bar, the seat, the seatpost??

- I sometimes work in a bike shop and strange noises from bikes are the basis of much discussion. They can come from the weirdest places.
    Example - carbon bike, creaking rear dropouts - no - front mech band was the cause!
    Creaking suspension bushings? no - seat rails!
    Creaking crankset, no bar/stem interface.
    and on and on.

It sometimes feels like the old VW ad :
    WWW DOT youtube.com/watch?v=JF-KJ5-KNQk
    n
    n

mtbr member
    Well... When we speak of strange sounds:

My Deville doesn't work as it should

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by akdmonsters View Post
    Well... When we speak of strange sounds:

My Deville doesn't work as it should
    since 1 week ago???

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000 View Post
    since 1 week ago???
    No, since i fixed it on my bike: today. It's new!

Mr. Knowitall
    Sounds like low oil level. I had the same problems. Seems they do not fill too well in the factory. It IS a pain to fill properly, and it takes time.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by akdmonsters View Post
    No, since i fixed it on my bike: today. It's new!
    You definitely need to balance the chambers, I posted instructions above. It doesn't sound right though. Please let us know how it turns out
    Neil

Page 37 of 43 FirstFirst ... 27 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 ... LastLast