Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Thread: BOS suspension

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Hi guys,

I already posted my thoughts on the BOS stuff, but I'd like to make things clear for some narrow minded people.

First, my bike:

Second, I deal with things I've tried, some should do the same. I'm French, sorry (but I'll try to write in English ), I own a BOS N'Dee fork and an AFR.

First of all, I own this fork for one year now and the thing is that it works as well as last year. Those forks have been made to require as less maintenance as possible. I looked at mine a month ago and the oil was almost as clear as new. I called BOS to know when I should send them for a complete service and within 48h they answered "when it will need it, maybe next year". Clear enough.
    Moreover, I ride my bike almost every week end, I race DH, and I am also a bit tired of the marketing thing (Kashima coating, tapered headtubes, hydroformed tubes, etc.). But you need to understand the Bos stuff was thought in the only goal of performance (and it works since I improved my times).
    And basically that's all I needed: reliability and performance.
    But you can add the fact that it's the nicest piece of engineering for mtb forks. I mean, you should really compare it to the mass production forks...
    As said before, the after sales service has been great so far and if the English importer is reliable there won't be any problem because the guys at Bos know their thing.
    To finish my fork weights in at 3 kg, which is normal for a DH fork, even if it could be improved.
    And I'd like to add that I don't spend my cash for something which is only beautiful or fashionable. Cf SLX cranks, etc. I decided to pay the price for something that could make me faster and I got what I wanted. At the moment I'm collecting money to get the Stoy.

Edit: I won't answer on the prejudices about French products since as almost everywhere, there are both good and bad things. And sorry in advance for the language mistakes.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    SowX, good comments and the English is better than some of the Scott's. Great looking bike.

mtbr member
    :
    Quote Originally Posted by ryates
    SowX, good comments and the English is better than some of the Scott's. Great looking bike.
    how did one mans(an englishman at that) predjudice turn in to a slagging for the scots eh?

Cheers SowX. good review. While i I have issues with the French(and the Italians for that matter) competence with electrickery(see renualt, ferrari, ducati, fiat,peugot etc) i have no problems with your mechanical engineering

- a few smiley faces just so you know I'm taking the piss! not sure how well our humour translates
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

flash bikes for flash gits

mtbr member
    SowX
    your bike pic never worked(at least i can't see it anyway)

to pick up on your comment about the UK importer. I've had quite a bit of communication with him(Roger Estrada at R53 engineering) and he comes across as a real nice lad and is very clued up on suspension in general. he's been taking a look at the AFR and it's suspension characteristics in order to sort out my Stoy. He's been very patient also with all my daft and ignorant questions. so far so good

makes all the difference when the suppliers are clued up and approachable. A lot are just sales types with no real passion for the sport. On saying that i dont know how much Roger knows about the mtb scene but he's certainly passionate about suspension

for those that dont know who the importer is - http://www.r53engineering.com/
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I know I've already said it but that AFR is probably the most sensible build I've seen, congrats!

The N'dee seems like a really good fork, I would love to have one in 160mm. It's too heavy to put on my Helius AM though, and I'm more or less allergic to air forks, so the devilles are a no go.

The options then narrow down to Fox, RS and Magura.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks guys. Personnally, I called BOS a few times to know how to set up my fork properly and everytime they answered and found a solution. And for me it is very important, since I think the after sales is as important as the product itself, none of the other brands are able to advise you on the setting up.

So if the importer is as much involved as they are, then you'll always find someone to answer you questions.

But I recognize it's a bit pricey in the UK, which is normal (shipping costs, importer...). Meanwhile still competitive compared to Fox suspension for exemple.

@mikael_nr1

I never tried the Deville so I won't tell you much about it but reviews on the French forums explain that the fork reacts a bit like an "oil dampered fork". Don't know if it's understandable...

mtbr member
    Dipper - the N-dee's will look fab on the Koi... but the Stoy is going to ming

With the 1-1/8" steerer you can lose that boat anchor of a stem

Are you going for the Cane Creek angle-set to play with the headtube angle?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Dipper, has the snow cleared yet? Interested in your BOS review. Have you tested the 2011 Fox 36 Van yet, as a point of reference?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thepimpmessiah
    Dipper - the N-dee's will look fab on the Koi... but the Stoy is going to ming

With the 1-1/8" steerer you can lose that boat anchor of a stem

Are you going for the Cane Creek angle-set to play with the headtube angle?
    aye youre right. you'd think they'd colour coordinate them a bit better! maybe have to sort it with a rattle can from halfords

it's running a straitline 1.5 stem at the moment which is pretty light. I take it you mean the 1.5 sunline that I had on it for a bit? it was a boat anchor!

and yes I plan on fitting an angle set to have a play.
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

mtbr member
    ryates
    snows still here but got a bit of a shift today. Forecasts not good for during the week though. Not set eyes on the forks yet either. they should be in next week.

I've done some rides on the 2011 36 float 180RLC. No surprise that it feels much the same as the 160. feels well supported but not as silky smooth as the 2010 66RC3ti. As well as those 2 I've also tried on the AFR - 2008 66 ATA, 2009 66 RC3 and a lyric 170 DH. None of them are bad forks(apart from reliabilty issues on the ATA but I sorted that). the only one I couldnt get on with was the lyric. I think if you're weight happens to fall within the right range it could be a good fork but I couldnt get a spring that worked. the medium was way too soft and the hard, way too hard!
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Bos deville-Go on then

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by olive
    Thanks Norcosam, but now the front is black. Better uphill (500gr less and Talas adjustment) but not really the same level downhill. The N'dee is on my other bike.
    Alright mate mint looking bike by the way, was just curious have you tried climbing on the FR with the fox in 180 mode? was planning on getting a float 180 for my FR as like the idea of the weight saving, is it going to be a pain in the arse to climb in full travel? Other option was maybe get a float 180 and adjust it to 170mm for trail then back to 180 for the mega etc. Your input would be great cheers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shakeyakey
    Alright mate mint looking bike by the way, was just curious have you tried climbing on the FR with the fox in 180 mode? was planning on getting a float 180 for my FR as like the idea of the weight saving, is it going to be a pain in the arse to climb in full travel? Other option was maybe get a float 180 and adjust it to 170mm for trail then back to 180 for the mega etc. Your input would be great cheers.
    shakey
    i used an FR with 180 forks for quite a while(66's). suited it better imo. never noticed any issues climbing either. 10 mins changes the fox's 2 160 as well if you find it too tall
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Bos Stoy

hi RPM I have heard about budgie type noises coming from the Stoy however this was something that TF tuned sorted out simply at the very start before I even picked up the shock.

TLR the shock would not suit you, there's not enough faffing about before you actually get to ride the bike and because you can actually get the setup with the correct sag you'd have pedal strike city.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    dipper, please could you arrange for a shoot-out between the following:

BOS Deville
    WB Loop
    Fox 36 Float and Van
    X-Fusion Vengeance
    Marz. 55 RC3 ti ???

I will buy the winner from you.

steep fast and loose :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Garry AM
    hi RPM I have heard about budgie type noises coming from the Stoy however this was something that TF tuned sorted out simply at the very start before I even picked up the shock.

TLR the shock would not suit you, there's not enough faffing about before you actually get to ride the bike and because you can actually get the setup with the correct sag you'd have pedal strike city.

i'm back to the monarch with increased air pressure.

the ccdb although sublime in action was a compromise...
    its going to get footprinted and possibly have higher viscosity damping oil fitted in the next couple of months in order to improve the mid-stroke control.....
    i can only hope for improved performance....

my 6 pack in retrospect, was sublime on the ccdb in comparison.

shame my AM is one of the originals on old fashioned 200x51 levers.....possibly time for a change......

mtbr member

oops! was taking the piss out of the wrong person! Sorry ryates
    Last edited by dipper; 12-14-2010 at 02:03 PM.
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    oh well, it was a long shot!

Seriously, there is a lack of comparative test information available on these forks.

Dipper, out of that list are there any that you will be able to make comparisons with, when eventually you are able to test the BOS Deville?

mtbr member
    I'm down off my high horse now Ryates.

I can compare pretty well with the Fox's and and marzocchi but not the other 2. It would be great to be able to try them all back to back but it's too expensive and time consuming. Also, what i like might not be what anyone else likes. If you're a faster, slower, lighter, heavier rider, that'll change the character of the fork. I know some proper fast riders that ride with suspesion thats very stiff but as i'm very much average i cant get away with that

I will compare them best as i can though
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    A nice box arrived today,Thanks Richard(dipper)
    Bos DeVille 140mm

Last edited by norcosam; 12-24-2010 at 09:58 AM.

mtbr member
    Lush.

All I got today was a new oven seal.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Nice.

What's it going on?

Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008
    You'll love em.
    Had mine on my spicy and now moving them to a specialized carbon enduro

mtbr member
    My stoy and n'dees are all fitted up but have no where to go very impressed with the build quality. Especially the stoy and deville. N'dees looks more basic as it does without fancy machined levers. The dials and the lowers look functional whereas the deville looks more 'engineered'.

Stoy with steel spring is weighing in at the same weight as my ccdb with ti spring which was a surprise. N'dees is a fraction heavier than my rc3ti.

Roll on rideable trails!
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

mtbr member
    Anyone with a scale shot showing the weight of the devilles (160mm)? Need to know how close to 2kg they come in at. I've heard their weighing more than stated.

Cheers

Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast