Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: BOS suspension

steep fast and loose :)
    no idea - about a hundred quid i think.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Lecht_Rocks
    the problem is everyone wants something different from their suspension and forever your settings have been sh1t in feel for me...........

i am stunned however that you seem to like the bos feel which is totally alien to your previous settings being soft and soggy.....

whatever, i know what i like and how i expect it to perform and will re-iterate this to Stendec Dave tomorrow
    But you've never ridden my afr and only did 100 yards on my fr so not sure how you know this

The bos is not alien to the ccdb. Both run soft and both have excellent damping. In fact my stoy runs a 325lb spring which is actually less than what I ran on the ccdb. As I said above, out the box with stock settings the stoy feels better. I suspect the ccdb could be made to feel similar if that was the preference. Contrary to what you believe I like, i had the ccdb set up far stiffer(talking damping here) than the stoy. Sitting on it in the car park only gives you an indication of how much sag it's running and doesn't give the faintest clue as to how it will ride! If you sat on the afr with the stoy I'd never hear the end of it as it feels soft and bouncy. To ride, it's no where near soft and bouncy though.

Be prepared for your ccdb to feel like mush in the car park test when it comes back. Also get him to write down the settings he's giving you as a starting point otherwise you could find yourself tied in knots again. Dave knows his stuff though so you need to give it a chance and not fiddle with it in the assumption that you know better.
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

flash bikes for flash gits

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by norcosam
    My turn,

My Devilles are the 140 mm version.
    I have done about 30 miles on them so far,Varying terrain.
    The damping on them is quite different as Dipper noted,They feel very bouncy in the car park test,and even with the rebound on fully they are still quite active,I initially set mine up as i would any other fork and ignored the standard settings.Went for a quick blast on a piece of track i know very well,did a few fast runs and set it up how i would usually.Then after i had ridden it a few more times,so i knew how it felt,i changed it to the standard settings that Roger gave me,Very different to mine.Feels awful to bounce when stationary,like a pogo stick,as Dipper said like they have no oil in them.Went and rode the section again,Felt very good,very active,amazing amount of traction and very playfull,makes it easy to pop off things and hop over roots.
    I have now done about 30 more miles with the standard settings but have increased the Rebound by 2 clicks,The only thing that i couldnt get on with was there air pressure settings,i am running them at 10psi ,lower than reccomended.
    The forks sit high in there travel when riding and feel bottomless,yet you can use a lot of the available travel.They dont ramp up like a lot of air forks so feel quite linear.
    Rock gardens and roots are easily dealt with and these forks make you feel very confident and make you want to push you that bit faster.I hit rock gardens yesterday following my mate who usually leaves me on this section,i had to brake so i didnt run into the back of him,rode that piece 3 times and he couldnt keep up with me,Secret is brakes off and let the Forks do there job,they wont let you down.

Waiting for the Bos Stoy Air to be released so i can try it.

Just so you know i was running 2010 150mm dual air Rockshox team revelations with blackbox damping before these.

Do you mean with standard settings 15 clicks from close by all settings?

Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008
    Have you cross referenced stendec suggestions with malcom at cane creek TLR?
    I've seen some negative comments about what stended did to some ccdb's so for me, mine wouldn't go anywhere other than cane creek direct.

Re your pedal strikes, all I did to cure mine was to add two clocks of low speed compression damping which reduced the dive in berms etc. Problem fixed. For less high G courses I can reduce it if I desire. It's all a compromise at the end of the day. There is no silver bullet shim stack.

Would be interested to hear what stendec are proposing for your shock if you wouldn't mind sharing?

Stendec will be in touch today. Just waiting for the ti spring to arrive. I'll get the bade settings off them and report in. I'll also report what they do to the needle valves, etc...

I also now accept compromise with the am set up. That's why dippers set me up with a 140mm trail thrasher.

Base settings !

HERE’S THE INFO FROM STENDEC :

• FLOWING PISTON AIR CHAMBER SET AT 25mm
    • INCREASED 4 SHIMS ON COMPRESSION STACK
    • HIGHER BLOW-OFF THRESHOLD DUE TO INCREASED OIL FLOW.
    • N2 PRESSURE SET AT 220PSI

• THIS PROVIDES A MORE DYNAMIC FEELING SHOCK [MORE ACTIVE] WITH MORE POP AND MID STROKE STABILISATION.

• LSC + 6 CLICKS OUT
    • HSC ¾ TURNS OUT
    • LSR + 8 CLICKS IN
    • HSR 1 TURN OUT

• FITTED NEW BOTTOM OUT DAMPER [4mm NOT STD 8mm] GIVES MORE STROKE TRAVEL.

• NEW O RING SEALS FITTED.

• NEW 500# TI SPRING INSTALLED.

FOR ANY MORE INFORMATION, CONTACT DAVE AT STENDEC-WORKS. http://www.stendec-works.com/

Bear in mind that this is now custom tuned to my requirements and complaints about the standard shock and it's [in]action for my riding style [or lack thereof] !!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Right out you go then will look back on here in 4hrs for full review!

Won't be back until Monday :'(

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Dude, use your iphone?

iphone - no chance - HTC Desire HD for me

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    HD is that the long travel version like Ibis?

Quote Originally Posted by Garry AM
    HD is that the long travel version like Ibis?

yes - the betterer version

mtbr member
    www.essexhertsmtb.co.uk - Mountain Biking near London in the UK

mtbr member
    we're not the only ones liking them then. looking forward to trying the devilles myself. I cant see them being as good as the heavier, coil sprung n'dee's but if theyre better than a 36 that'll do me. not that there's much wrong with a 36 but it's good to see the game moving forwards
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

LOL....What fork for a saracen, innit

it also suggests that at 11 stone they're fine but if you're heavier then the fox 36 is a better chassis as it's stiffer [albeit heavier]..........

mtbr member
    just read it again. thats not what they said though is it?

"although the damping is better, the Fox are stiffer (but heavier). At 11 stone we couldn’t feel them give, although if you’re a bigger rider you may want to think about this."

all theyre saying is that at 11 stone they couldnt tell the difference but you might if you're bigger. but then again you may not and at 11 stone theyre not in a position to say one way or the other.
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

mtbr member
    they also said

"We don’t use the word incredible a lot when we’re reviewing things, but it’s the only word for this fork

they feel just like a well set-up Fox 40.”

We can’t think of a fork that beats these for their combination of weight and performance

Right now they’re available for £750 and we reckon that’s actually a bit of a bargain

We’d bet that if you were blindfolded you would have a tough job telling they are air sprung and we don’t know of any other fork like that."

in fact in every sentence there's +ve comments. the only -ve comment was that they may or may not be as stiff as a 36 if youre a bigger rider.
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008
    http://www.facebook.com/roulerimports

for details on new BOS air Stoy shock....

mtbr member
    cool. be interesting to know when it's due.
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

blimey - are you trying to sell the product or something ?

"Its All Good"
    Be more informed points of discussion would it not?

Have to say, this kit is getting some stella reviews..... Anyway, all not applicable until they make a fork for a 29er. A Bos shod Helius AM29er would be the ducks nutz, the cats pajama's etc etc etc

Good opportunity for Bos..
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    fox are by far my biggest seller and i make more money on a set of fox forks than I do Bos so I've no added interest in pushing Bos over Fox! despite the lesser margin i even tried to sell you a set of devilles as I reckon theyll be better than the fox you ended up going for. if nothing else it would have given you a new experience and maybe got you to take the blinkers off!

Whafe
    ive asked again about the 29er but not heard anything yet
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008
    Due by march my maN at Bos informs me.....although they have been bad at keeping dates previously this one looks like it might stick.....fingers xxxxxxx'd

i'll possibly try a pair once they've gone through the development cycle and proven themselves over a longer period in the UK's harsh conditions....

Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008
    i'll possibly try a pair once they've gone through the development cycle and proven themselves over a longer period in the UK's harsh conditions....
    Fingers crossed price doesn't go back to £1250+ Mate

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by vikingboy
    http://www.facebook.com/roulerimports

for details on new BOS air Stoy shock....

That dosent look like the other pictures i had seen of there air shock

don't you worry about my finances - dipper does that for you LOL/

Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008
    That dosent look like the other pictures i had seen of there air shock
    The old image was about 18 months old and was a computer render only I recall.

Loving the spelling on that roleur site lol

Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008
    Loving the spelling on that roleur site lol
    Roleur LOL! :-D

exactly viking LOL

ironic freudian slip intended !

mtbr member
    April for the Stoy air i'm hearing from R53 but he's going to get conformation. Looks like it's soon anyway.
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Does any one know the A-C on the 160 & 140 Devilles?
    Cheers
    Jeff

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Deville 160 A2C is 545mm. I´ll suppose that it`s 525mm with Deville 140, because shorter travel has been done with internal spacer, but this is only guess.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Not only a internal spacer:

Rouler Imports not reall.. It's a lot more complicated than most people think. Because the Deville ,along with the other bos forks, run an open bath compression cartridge, it would have to be cut down and re-threaded. A new shim stack has to be installed and the whole preload side has to be modified for such a drop. I know they were doing it on the N'dee but they have no plan for a big drop on the Deville unless we a get a huge demand but the forks in a 100mm.

"Its All Good"
    I went to sleep dreaming of a Bos DeVille 160mm 29er Fork
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    I went to sleep dreaming of a Bos DeVille 160mm 29er Fork

You wouldnt like it.

"Its All Good"
    You wouldnt like it.
    No I wouldnt like it at all, but there is a good chance I would LOVE it...

have to say that yesterday, having a good 3 hour ride on technical terrain, my revised CCDB and the brand spanking FLOAT RLC Kashima 36's make me wonder how much better it could possibly get ?

a mate of mine has a set of Devilles [from Dipper] and he can't tell the difference from his older 36 FLOATS..

is it not just new kit syndrome ?

keep the reports coming in fella's..... ..

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    TLR, there has so many positive reports about the Devillles, it's doubtful if they are all wrong.

Can you describe what the main riding improvements are with the shock, in bit more detail?

mtbr member
    "my revised CCDB and the brand spanking FLOAT RLC Kashima 36's"

also sounds like new kit syndrome to me!

"make me wonder how much better it could possibly get"

while you're 'wondering' we'll crack on with actually trying the new gear to see for ourselves if it can get any better

there's nothing wrong with floats so for someone to say they feel the same isnt a bad thing. however most reports favour the deville and at the current price and with the 2 year service interval, even if function is the same they win on those counts.

im looking forward to trying mine next week. they are a light weight air fork so I'm not expecting them to match the ability of the ndee. however, if theyre as good as a float but with less dive(as per the ndee) then i'll be happy.
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

new new RLC FIT 36 have absolutely no blow through and remain utterly taut, responsive, communicative and controlled.

their rigidity also helps the feedback of course, something the less stiff Devilles would fail to deliver if you're heavier than 11 stone [as reported elsewhere].

mtbr member
    i cant even be arsed pointing out the bollox anymore!

fox are great cos you've got some, bos are crap cos you dont got some. we get it.

im just going to sit here and bang my heid off the desk for a while till someone with something constructive and Bos related comes along.

yer like a serial thread killer on a spree!
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

not what i'm saying.

i started off with French tat, and that opinion remains......let's see how good BOS are in 12 months and if they even remain imported into the UK..........

Fox have a foothold and a strong distribution network and the product itself is excellent.....proven over the years and with a global footprint.....

from my conversation with STENDEC, I was advised to stay away from BOS as the equipment cannot be modified and it's been designed on the back of 1 whole rider......

1 man has developed that fork alone and it's designed to suit his preference......there are no tuning kits or ways o amend the damping...............

anyway, i'll leave this thread for you to w@nk all over and pat each other on the backs as any alternate ideology is obviously unwelcomed.

mtbr member
    'ideology'

and therein lies the snag! you and yer fox idolatry. youve never set eyes on any Bos suspension. if you'd seen them you could have an opinion on how they look in comparison to other forks you've seen. if youve ridden them you can comment on on how good/or not they are in comparison to what you've ridden before. if you've ridden a set till they fell apart you can compare their longevity with other forks you've ridden to death.

all you've done in this thread is bleat on and on about how someone told you bos are crap, bos are french therefore theyre crap, bos have no track record therefore theyre crap. Fox are great blah blah blah! not an objective opinion or point in sight.

im boring myself now so ill stfu
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

"El Whatever"
    from my conversation with STENDEC, I was advised to stay away from BOS as the equipment cannot be modified and it's been designed on the back of 1 whole rider......

1 man has developed that fork alone and it's designed to suit his preference......there are no tuning kits or ways o amend the damping.
    That kind crashes with this...

http://www.bosmtb.com/MTB2/stoyfiche.html

"Features :
    Hydraulic monotube shock with 3-way valving
    Adjustments: high and low-speed compression damping, rebound damping
    Can be completely disassembled, serviced and re-built
    Custom-tuned to match rider weight, style and bike
    Aluminium reservoir housing, sealhead, body, preload collar and eyelet
    12mm shaft diameter
    Needle-bearing mount kit"

You may be also aware that they started doing replacement cartridges for 888's and Boxxers, so it's not like they came out of the blue. You may also be aware these guys are making mtb suspension from a few years ago.

http://www.bos-engineering.com/english/historique.html

At any rate, if you mean the forks are not tunable, I can't comment on that one, but I really would find it odd.

To each his own, I guess...
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Just a quick thank you to pergamonx & unsolizited.
    Dipper had told me that the 160 Deville could be reduced to 140 , but it would not be worth it & that that the 140 could not be opened out to 160.So it was good to have some extra details.
    Cheers
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    That kind crashes with this...

http://www.bosmtb.com/MTB2/stoyfiche.html

"Features :
    Hydraulic monotube shock with 3-way valving
    Adjustments: high and low-speed compression damping, rebound damping
    Can be completely disassembled, serviced and re-built
    Custom-tuned to match rider weight, style and bike
    Aluminium reservoir housing, sealhead, body, preload collar and eyelet
    12mm shaft diameter
    Needle-bearing mount kit"

To each his own, I guess...

that's the stoy [rear shock] not the deville [front fork] that is dicussed.

indeed i believe the stoy could be a great shock, no reason why not as it is tuneable.

fwiw, i'm hearing incredible reports about ELKA shocks [pre tuned in the factory for rider weight nd frame leverage characteristics] in a similar vain to the stoy.

does the stoy ship from the factory custom tuned for rider weight and frame leverage character ?

mtbr member

indeed i believe the stoy could be a great shock, no reason why not as it is tuneable.

fwiw, i'm hearing incredible reports about ELKA shocks [pre tuned in the factory for rider weight nd frame leverage characteristics] in a similar vain to the stoy.

does the stoy ship from the factory custom tuned for rider weight and frame leverage
    character ?
    yep. when i place an order for a stoy i need to supply as much info as possible. rider weight and frame leverage ratios(they have much of these on file). Bos then select the correct spring and fit the appropriate shim stack.

also the springs they supply are in 25lb increments and more accurate than some
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

that makes much more sense.........

stoy for the chumba pehaps

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by TLR

At any rate, if you mean the forks are not tunable, I can't comment on that one, but I really would find it odd.
    Funny you omit to quote my quote above which kinda makes redundant your clarification, but anyway... people used to say the same of my 5th Air. It turns out it can be disassembled, serviced and tuned at home.

Again, to each his own, I guess...
    Check my Site

Funny you omit to quote my quote above which kinda makes redundant your clarification, but anyway... people used to say the same of my 5th Air. It turns out it can be disassembled, serviced and tuned at home.

Again, to each his own, I guess...

sorry for the confusion - my point is about the deville not being tuneable, consequent to BOS's reluctance to provide a tuning solution with the fork.

Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008
    I'm not sure what you are on about anymore TLR!
    The Bos has been developed with input from a very competent rider who knows a thing or two about suspension. This isn't a bad thing in my book. The fact the rear stoy ships set for your weight and frame ratio means it's a bolt on a go riding solution. The damping control is wide enough tallow you to tune it to track. the deville is of course also tuneable via air pressure and the provided dials, they have significant range with enough resolution to dial in perfectly and not land between two clicks.
    I have a ccdb too and it's a great shock with mega adjustability but as if you want to talk theoretical vs the stoy and its pro rider directed development, then you could look at its jack of all trades, master of none approach as a negative. Also its so tuneable, it took me about 12 months to really dial the thing in and learn all its traits. The stoy just works....it's also going on my next build too.

i agree about the stoy - tuned from the off to suit rider and frame

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Go on TLR you won't be disappointed.

"Its All Good"
    I heard that too, but if they dont respond to emails how can one purchase one... Hence going with the RS Vivid Air...

Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    I heard that too, but if they dont respond to emails how can one purchase one... Hence going with the RS Vivid Air...
    that's not to
    good then. customer service and feedback is king imo.

"Its All Good"
    that's not to
    good then. customer service and feedback is king imo.
    Dont wish to derail the thread on Bos Suspension, but I was already to pull the trigger on the Elka shock, as my main riding buddy GB has one on his Knolly DT, which have spent some time on and it is great...

Sent through all my details, the frame it was going on, heard back quickly, which was great service. They told me I needed an AC shock, I explained that it was a custom frame and told them about it. Have never heard back to this day.. Am not knocking them on this one issue, just putting it out there because I was kinda pissed because I wanted an Elka shock!

Can you not call them? Is it too late ?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I run an ELKA since half a year in my AM.
    Yann answered all my emails within 1-2 days.
    They even changed my shock to another shock length for free, so all I can say is great service.

"Its All Good"
    Can you not call them? Is it too late ?
    Yep it is too late for the out of the blocks AM Wagonwheeler build. However it is never to late really, if no likey the Vivid Air, can always sell it

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by lakekeman
    I run an ELKA since half a year in my AM.
    Yann answered all my emails within 1-2 days.
    They even changed my shock to another shock length for free, so all I can say is great service.
    great to hear, as I said, was not nor am I trying to knock them, am certain something has happened that is a simple error, just sharing my experience... I will have an Elka shock at some stage... Or even a Stoy (to go with my Bos DeVille 29er fork)

Nicolai
    Guys,

this is my personal bike. Saw this thread on the same day i assembled my new Revelation XX 150mm fork over my old DT swiss exc150mm. Immidiately sold the XX and ordered the Deville.

Just had it assembled. WIsh it had arrive earlier last week and use it for my Night downhill race. anyways. Im loving the fork so far. WIll try it soon in the trail and give you guys some comments IMO> . using the rear Vivid air shox. feel fantastic every since i had it and just grows on me. Hopefully i don have to change any suspension in along long time....

any advice or comments is welcome. i am sticking to the base setting BOS suggested to start off for now..

mtbr member
    Chaps, can those with a pair of Devilles do me a huge favour?

Grab hold of your wheel and check for lateral play when mounted in the fork and report back.
    I'm having some 'issues'.

TIA

Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rpm100

Grab hold of your wheel and check for lateral play when mounted in the fork and report back.

TIA
    no issues here. Try a allen key through the hole in the axle to nip up and tighten down the lever thing. Zero play anywhere here in mine. Rock solid.

mtbr member

TIA
    hope hub by any chance?
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

mtbr member
    Yes, but also some (but less so) slop with a king. No movement with either hubs in a Fox 40 or Lyrik.

Working direct with Roger on it.
    Any thoughts?

PM if you prefer.

mtbr member
    only thoughts were @ the hub. had a spate of issues a while back and folk were getting new lowers from fox but turned out it was the bearings in hope hubs not being pressed fully in. wee tap with a hammer and the issue went away(or at least ive not seen it since!)
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

Nicolai
    No problems on my end as well. No play Wat so ever!

@rpm - keep us updated.

not great news..................

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by AttitudeBikes
    Guys,

this is my personal bike. Saw this thread on the same day i assembled my new Revelation XX 150mm fork over my old DT swiss exc150mm. Immidiately sold the XX and ordered the Deville.

Just had it assembled. WIsh it had arrive earlier last week and use it for my Night downhill race. anyways. Im loving the fork so far. WIll try it soon in the trail and give you guys some comments IMO> . using the rear Vivid air shox. feel fantastic every since i had it and just grows on me. Hopefully i don have to change any suspension in along long time....

any advice or comments is welcome. i am sticking to the base setting BOS suggested to start off for now..
    Oh my god that is a damn hot bike man!
    Is it possible to get a better photo from that beauty?

mtbr member
    May 2008

Probably the best looking bike ive seen on here, very handsomely subtle

is that a Honda Integra DC2 in the background attitude ?

Nicolai
    Hi Guys,

many thanks. Will try to take some new decent photos tomorrow with the mud on and stuff. just finish a race last week end ( redbull dark Knight DH race - more like SUper D) and retired my old fork so ... hehe heres what the actual build was ...

Before -

change front tires to new trail king, rear shock front fork. no more changes.. probably a wider bar :P~ And many confusing setting on the front fork!

TLR - yes its a DC2, belongs to my partner :P~ hehe...

mtbr member
    Cool. The dc2 is my favourite car of all time. Ive had faster cars since but none were as much fun as the dc2. Liked them so much I've had 3! parked the first one up a tree at only 5 weeks old(the car not me!) back when they first came out in 98. Car was toast Unfortunately

If I didn't feel such a twat driving a big spoilered car in my mid 30's id probably still have one Roll on the mid life crisis

Ok, rose tinted specs off. Back to bikes!
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

Nicolai
    **** just realize i have been replying blindly last night, was too tired from all the forum reading haha... its actually a DC5 Type S. Not a DC2.. hahah silly me...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I got my deville yesterday, today I will ride it the first time.
    The fork has a very good built quality and feels very responsive out of the box.
    Maybe someone with more ride time can post some setup tips?

The rebound feels way too fast, even in the slowest setting it is still not really slow like on other forks.

Cant wait to ride it

Quote Originally Posted by dipper
    If I didn't feel such a twat driving a big spoilered car in my mid 30's id probably still have one Roll on the mid life crisis

LOL - Dig acknowledged.

Shame you just look a twat irrespective

Especially in your power rangers wobbling about

Nicolai

TIA

hmmm im getting it too... maybe will email BOS and see what they say... tried mounting the wheelset on another 20mm fork.. no play... back on the deville... play...... damn!

No ones ever perfect right ? hmmm... uploading pictures now....

Nicolai
    Quote Originally Posted by conner86
    Oh my god that is a damn hot bike man!
    Is it possible to get a better photo from that beauty?
    don wish to fray away from the thread updated the build on this thread.. AM data base!

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...41#post7708741

Nicolai
    Hey,
    would you tell me which settings you run your deville fork at?
    PSI, rebound, compression?

Thanks a lot!
    Moritz

Hi there,

I'm
    On recommended setting by bos everything turn to maximum and return 15 clicks on all 3 setting available . I'm 63kg n my psi ia 65psi with a Rockshox shock pump
    With standard setting now I can turn better, more front end grip and easier to make awtich back ? Maybe because of the low offset for the front fork ? Anyways I love my previous DTSwiss exc150 but now with this fork I relies what was missing on my precious fork. The mid stroke in the bos is so progressive to wards the end it hive much more confidence in front wheel control while the previous DTSwiss seems to collapse thru the travel too fast in the same trail during mid stroke

Only my first ride today and was impressive and I am
    Faster on the same Dh section of the trail! Will try to change some setting from the factory recommended next week

Walton.

Hi there,

I'm
    On recommended setting by bos everything turn to maximum and return 15 clicks on all 3 setting available . I'm 63kg n my psi ia 65psi with a Rockshox shock pump
    With standard setting now I can turn better, more front end grip and easier to make awtich back ? Maybe because of the low offset for the front fork ? Anyways I love my previous DTSwiss exc150 but now with this fork I relies what was missing on my precious fork. The mid stroke in the bos is so progressive to wards the end it hive much more confidence in front wheel control while the previous DTSwiss seems to collapse thru the travel too fast in the same trail during mid stroke

Only my first ride today and was impressive and I am
    Faster on the same Dh section of the trail! Will try to change some setting from the factory recommended next week

Walton.

sounds like a progressive spring curve.
    similar to what Fox have achieved with the 2011 FIT damper assembly.
    air forks now with coil characteristics.

mtbr member
    hmmm im getting it too... maybe will email BOS and see what they say... tried mounting the wheelset on another 20mm fork.. no play... back on the deville... play...... damn!

No ones ever perfect right ? hmmm... uploading pictures now....

Att,
    The cause of the front wheel play is poor axle design. Basically the axle is designed to be done up 'finger' tight. However some hubs require more preload than others (Pro 2 needs more than CK for example). This means that inorder to clamp the wheel tight I have to slot a 2mm allen key through the tiny hole that goes through the axle grip tabs. This is bad design as I have to use so much torque on such a small key that it nearly always bends... Not good

I cant believe a revised axle design wont appear before too long.

Went back on the trail today and axle design aside the fork continues to amaze me. The small bump is incredible, and the mid-stroke control seems impossible. The extra grip that the forks help generate at the front wheel is alarming and I'm having to readjust my corner speeds! Those that have had a 'bounce' cant believe they are air sprung. To me they feel as plush as my fox 40's.

mtbr member
    Image of the new setup.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Image of the new setup.

Very nice,Wouldnt mind that to match my ION..

mtbr member
    I'll have your Ion before you have my AM

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I'll have your Ion before you have my AM

Pm,me an offer.Its a large and looks sweet,Would look stunning in your garage.

mtbr member

Bad timing. I'll pm you this time next year if you still have it. Seriously.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Bad timing. I'll pm you this time next year if you still have it. Seriously.

Ok.Will definetely know if i will keep it by then,Depends on how much i use it between now and then.

Will probably have BOS forks on by then.

Nicolai
    Att,
    The cause of the front wheel play is poor axle design. Basically the axle is designed to be done up 'finger' tight. However some hubs require more preload than others (Pro 2 needs more than CK for example). This means that inorder to clamp the wheel tight I have to slot a 2mm allen key through the tiny hole that goes through the axle grip tabs. This is bad design as I have to use so much torque on such a small key that it nearly always bends... Not good

Went back on the trail today and axle design aside the fork continues to amaze me. The small bump is incredible, and the mid-stroke control seems impossible. The extra grip that the forks help generate at the front wheel is alarming and I'm having to readjust my corner speeds! Those that have had a 'bounce' cant believe they are air sprung. To me they feel as plush as my fox 40's.

Hi rpm100

Same here, mid stroke is so comfortable and gives you much feedback , i practically am able to lean in and hold the line better at corners. small roots and bumos disappear and now i feel my rear vivid needs more tuning haha because i have a mre sensitive front fork now haha.

unfortunately, teh loose play is still there even when i use a allen key to tighten it with my Tube hub, wil try to figure out a way but till then. it doesnt bother me at all anyways and im still enjoying the fork.

i am stilll on factory recommanded setting and probably do another ride before deciding what to do with the settings. any notes to share so far?

Walton

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I was out testing my new deville today.
    First thing to mention: the fork feels amazing. Really. (coming from Lyrik DH)
    The initial stroke is super plush and soft, not the smallest hint of stiction.
    Yes it bobs a bit because of that, but I dont care. I want a very active fork.
    The fork eats everything on the trail which results in great front end traction.
    After that the suspension ramps up nicely, giving a very controlled midstroke.
    The fork wastes no mm of travel there, absolutely not blowing through the travel like other air forks.
    At the end, maybe a bit bit to much progression - I was not able to get more than 140mm travel out of the fork today.
    Maybe I just need to lower air pressure a bit. I was running 90 PSI at 80kg.

The rebound of the fork is really fast. I had to close it 5 more clicks than recommended and is is still faster than I was running my lyrik before.

I can only repeat that the fork feels great. And that after 1 day of riding.

Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008
    At the end, maybe a bit bit to much progression - I was not able to get more than 140mm
    Maybe I just need to lower air pressure a bit. I was running 90 PSI at 80kg.
    Im running 80psi at 100kg currently. I've tried everything from 100-60 psi.

I've been trying to figure out which is best, higher base air pressure but with damping circuits more closed, or lesser pressure with more open circuits? Any ideas anyone?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    [QUOTE=rpm100]Att,

rpm, have you raised this issue with Roger at R53? Any ideas on what hubs would work better with the current axle?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Running Mavic SX's on mine seem fine,thought i had a problem but it was the bearing preload a bit loose,I fitted new bearings a few weeks ago and hadnt checked it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    No problems with DT Swiss 240s OS.
    Last edited by unsolizited; 01-30-2011 at 02:16 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have a 240s OS which runs perfect as well.
    Both wheelsets with Hope Pro2 have some problems with play.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by unsolizited
    No problems with DT Swiss 240s OS.
    That's good to know....i have a set of EX1750's I could use with the Deville when it arrives.

There is a new PRO 2 coming out about now, maybe this will work better with the BOS? Anybody know more about the new version?

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 12