Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: BOS suspension

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    TLR there are so many holes in your argument I could shrink wrap it and market it as Swiss cheese.

If you really think about your argument what you're saying is this:

Riding mountain bikes is a purely utilitarian, pragmatic pursuit that has little or nothing to do with sensory pleasure, emotion, soul or anything else that might be classed as ‘ethereal or intangible’. The only reason you seem to give for riding bikes seems rooted in pure reasoning and logic – this is essentially what you are saying when you say ‘just get out and ride and stop thinking, discussing, worrying, whatever word you want to insert here, about the kit’.

Now I get where you’re coming from you because you’re an engineer and for you, ‘feeling’ is just something fluffy that gets in the way of your ability to get oil out of the ground. The world needs your skills, (Scotland needs your skills if it’s going to have any chance of making it as an independent nation), but the world does NOT need your constant braying about how pointless it is thinking, talking and engaging about the sensory pleasure that we all get from the kit we have on our bikes.

If you had your way, it would seem that the only reason you should be allowed to ride your bike for is, well actually I'm not sure you know why YOU ride bikes, seriously, what is it that you're trying to convince us of here? You say ‘stop worrying and just get out and ride’, well how is that contradictory to what Dipper is asking here? Dipper and the rest of us derive a lot of pleasure from the kit we ride. It’s precisely because we enjoy riding our bikes that we enjoy talking about and tinkering with the kit.

Every BS argument you ever come up with seems to be based on 'just get out and ride' but your arugment is axiomatic; people ride bikes because they enjoy the feeling that that gives them. They enjoy how a bike feels underneath them and over the terrain they are riding. There is a deep sense of enjoyment and fulfilment that we get from having a well set up machine, doing out bidding.

As an engineer, I would have thought you got that, but for some reason it seems to elude you.

The most successful engineers in the world are the ones who were able to make the connection between the brilliance of their engineering execution and the soul that exists in all of us (except you it seems). They connect those two sides to human nature, the logical with the poetic. If you just took a moment to think about that and think about the ramifications of how you come across every freaking time you launch into one of your ‘BS marketing, BS this, BS that, just get out and ride, BE MORE LIKE ME’ tirades, maybe, just maybe, you would be a better person for it.

steep fast and loose :)
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

sh1te - i'm a gear freak like the rest of you but my comments re BOS still stand. french tat remains french tat irrespective of your badge-engineered fanboi frenzy.

i love shiny kit, but there's more to it than kit ffs !

unless you're ultimately a kit monster and that really fukkn annoy's me !

ATGNI come to mind ?

nicolai has king hubs / headset / xtr xchainset / CNT bars / joplin post / etc. top end kit.

hummer has xtr / king / etc.

456 ti has king hubs / headset / xtr xchainset / CNT bars

mrs tlr's juliana has XTR / CNT, etc...

so i am without doubt getting pleasure from the kit, but redeem my guilt by riding the fookn wheels off all my .

geetee says :

Dipper and the rest of us derive a lot of pleasure from the kit we ride. It’s precisely because we enjoy riding our bikes that we enjoy talking about and tinkering with the kit.

then you contradict the issue with :

people ride bikes because they enjoy the feeling that that gives them.

which is why i ride them - for the pleasure of the ride, not the fookn xtr chainset that's shinier than joe bloggs' xt ! ? !

i only have the shiny kit coz i've got too much money and a benevolent dealer

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I can handle your comments about BOS - that's not bit that caused a problem for me. This on the other hand is what I am talking about:

ffs - just get out and ride what you've got ! ARE you really that good that you need 3% of perfomance improvement....... i think not !
    Not sure if you're suggesting it's me, Dipper or anyone else who is ATGNI but I think you'll be on pretty thin ice with that argument. I know I CAN ride a bike. I've been riding since I was 14 I do have some idea about the subject.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    The only thing which worries me about the bos forks is the 34mm stanchions.

If they are just as stiff as 36s I might sell mine, and buy a pair of bos forks. should only cost me about £100

14 ????

i was on pushbikes at 3 , motorbikes at 5. why did you waste 9 more years ?

@ dipper - i'm afraid to report that no matter what fork from whatever manufacturer. there will be nothing to accompany that monstrosity aesthetically.

i'd just bin it and start again mukka.

seriously - that AFR is simply FOUL / FUGLY / repeat to fade........

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Lecht_Rocks
    14 ????

i was on pushbikes at 3 , motorbikes at 5. why did you waste 9 more years ?
    And still you can't figure out when it's time to keep your cranc arms level?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by geetee1972
    TLR there are so many holes in your argument I could shrink wrap it and market it as Swiss cheese.

Riding mountain bikes is a purely utilitarian, pragmatic pursuit that has little or nothing to do with sensory pleasure, emotion, soul or anything else that might be classed as ‘ethereal or intangible’. The only reason you seem to give for riding bikes seems rooted in pure reasoning and logic – this is essentially what you are saying when you say ‘just get out and ride and stop thinking, discussing, worrying, whatever word you want to insert here, about the kit’.

Now I get where you’re coming from you because you’re an engineer and for you, ‘feeling’ is just something fluffy that gets in the way of your ability to get oil out of the ground. The world needs your skills, (Scotland needs your skills if it’s going to have any chance of making it as an independent nation), but the world does NOT need your constant braying about how pointless it is thinking, talking and engaging about the sensory pleasure that we all get from the kit we have on our bikes.

If you had your way, it would seem that the only reason you should be allowed to ride your bike for is, well actually I'm not sure you know why YOU ride bikes, seriously, what is it that you're trying to convince us of here? You say ‘stop worrying and just get out and ride’, well how is that contradictory to what Dipper is asking here? Dipper and the rest of us derive a lot of pleasure from the kit we ride. It’s precisely because we enjoy riding our bikes that we enjoy talking about and tinkering with the kit.

Every BS argument you ever come up with seems to be based on 'just get out and ride' but your arugment is axiomatic; people ride bikes because they enjoy the feeling that that gives them. They enjoy how a bike feels underneath them and over the terrain they are riding. There is a deep sense of enjoyment and fulfilment that we get from having a well set up machine, doing out bidding.

As an engineer, I would have thought you got that, but for some reason it seems to elude you.

The most successful engineers in the world are the ones who were able to make the connection between the brilliance of their engineering execution and the soul that exists in all of us (except you it seems). They connect those two sides to human nature, the logical with the poetic. If you just took a moment to think about that and think about the ramifications of how you come across every freaking time you launch into one of your ‘BS marketing, BS this, BS that, just get out and ride, BE MORE LIKE ME’ tirades, maybe, just maybe, you would be a better person for it.
    damn well said geetee! except this bit - "Scotland needs your skills if it’s going to have any chance of making it as an independent nation"

I think TLR is having toilet issues again. bit bunged up are we simon?
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

flash bikes for flash gits

mtbr member
    "i only have the shiny kit coz i've got too much money and a benevolent dealer"

you missed the word 'had'
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

mtbr member
    May 2008

500 and words is an eloquent way to tell someone they are a knob

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    hello,
    I'have the N'dee on my FR, probably the best fork I had (66 ETA, 36 Talas and 2006 888 Rc2x). Here in France people says it's a bit more DH oriented than the new VAN 180 and those who tested the N'dee comparing to the new Marzo 66 RC3ti says that the difference is really minimal.
    Reliability is also really good (and I'm a Swiss guy, also have a RARE on my Shocker), you just have to ride without maintenance...
    Hope it will help a bit...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BOS suspension-fr.jpg  

mtbr member
    nice bike Olive. do you know what the axle to crown is on the N'dee's? they look quite tall
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    565mm axle to crown, I took the photo with. a 28mm lens, that's why...

Executive User - UK
    Nov 2008
    I'm running deviles on my spicy and they are so much better than anything fox or rockshox produce it's not even close. Significantly better traction and bottomless plush travel.
    Honestly, if you can afford them there is no reason to not run them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Olive.Very nice,like the white fork,black frame,reminds me of the Fr i had.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by norcosam
    Thanks Norcosam, but now the front is black. Better uphill (500gr less and Talas adjustment) but not really the same level downhill. The N'dee is on my other bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BOS suspension-fr2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by norcosam
    Thanks Norcosam, but now the front is black. Better uphill (500gr less and Talas adjustment) but not really the same level downhill. The N'dee is on my other bike.

mtbr member
    some +ve reviews comming now. cheers. Of course negative reviews also welcome assuming they're based on some sort of experience! Glad to hear they N'dee is at least on a par with the 66RC3 ti. I wee bit less dive and the 66 would be as perfect a fork as I've ridden. It's smoother than a 36 but not quite as supportive imo. Hopefully the N'dee will be best of both
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Dipper you know that wasn't a dig at Scotland right? Just a comment that the revenues from north sea oil are pretty important.

uni
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Reliability ??

Been very interested in a set of Devillle's since the recent price drop. Not sure if anyone can confirm it but someone told me that the service interval can be up to 2 years due to their reliability, compared with a 15 hour service for my 36's this makes them very tempting......

sorry lads - but you're all so easy to wind up it's a shame not too

mtbr member
    Dipper you know that wasn't a dig at Scotland right? Just a comment that the revenues from north sea oil are pretty important.
    not at all. I was having a dig at the fact TLR is English and I suspect thenorth sea oil industry would get along just fine without him!
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

mtbr member
    Arh ha, a frustrated English man living in Scotland. That explains alot

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Just put some Devilles on my Mojo HD to replace 2009 36 Floats. At the margin they are not quite as stiff, but it's a small difference. Upside is they are lighter, and once up to a decent speed the damping does seem to offer more control. The comparison I'd make is the Push upgrade to Pikes.

Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast