welds ...
    20080812 am frame 04 MTBR FORUM.jpg

a ripple to eventually become a wave???
    20080812 am frame 09 MTBR FORUM.jpg

which ever way you look at it, it just gives me the heebberdeejesus
    20080812 am frame 14 MTBR FORUM.jpg

mtbr member
    New bike for you Mr Chinaman ?
    Looks very nice. I do like that colour a lot.
    Nicolai Bikes in the South of England head to..
    http://www.head-for-the-hills.co.uk

wyrd bi ful rd

wyrd bi ful rd
    Quote Originally Posted by 5c0tty
    ... New bike for you Mr Chinaman ? ...
    cheers Scotty ... i think my large cc is a tad too big for me and so thought the next best thing will be an AM ... slightly beefier with a lower top tube height ...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chinaman
    cheers Scotty ... i think my large cc is a tad too big for me and so thought the next best thing will be an AM ... slightly beefier with a lower top tube height ...
    How significant is the difference in stand over b/w a Helius CC and AM? Any idea whether the CC will get a geometry tweak for 2009?

mtbr member
    Was it from Head for the Hills ?
    We need to catch up when its built up, Take you back out over Ranmore and some of the trails from the ride the other month.
    Nicolai Bikes in the South of England head to..
    http://www.head-for-the-hills.co.uk

'All over it!'
    Nice frame there Chinaman. What are your plans for the CC?

mtbr member
    Woo hooo... nice! whats the build spec?

pant pant pant

Is that bolt through rear end?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Chinaman - I neeeeed to ride that bike when it's built!!!!

a tight kick sound
    beauty!!
    can't wait to see it built

"Its All Good"
    Mmmmm, a whole lotta yummyness there... Looking forward to seeing her fully built.....

Have been going hard on the Helius FR and the ION ST here in Whistler...... Have been posting in Passion area...

Give us an update on this yummy ano black Helius AM..... Yeah ha
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Drink...sleep
    Cool! If think you told me you were going to transfer the heavy duty parts from your CC to this frame right? Be sure to post back when it's done with some good pics

wyrd bi ful rd
    Quote Originally Posted by stymie
    ... How significant is the difference in stand over b/w a Helius CC and AM? Any idea whether the CC will get a geometry tweak for 2009? ...
    the CC is essentially a XC bike hence the riding position will be as such ... whilst the AM is something for the middle between the FR and the CC, when Nicolai beefed the FR up to take longer forks than just up to 170mm.

what i am hoping is that the AM is just a lighter version of the FR which is built to take everything ...

my main problem now is that i have completely dissemble the CC and so have not actually measured the stand over height of the top tube. in addition, my CC was a large whilst the AM is a medium.

to answer your second question ... i do not think they will tweak the geometry for the CC ... it is an excellant bike for XC ...

BTW the length of the junction of the top tube and the seat tube, to the middle of the bottom bracket, for the CC is 39.5cm whilst the AM is 33cm (+/- 5mm) ... that tells me that there is a bit more room for the jewels ... , though it does depend on the height of the BB for each bike ...

wyrd bi ful rd
    Scotty ... HFTHS it was ... excellant bunch they were ... definitely have to go round to Ranmore again soon with the peeps ...

Lorni ... well the CC has been striped, ready to be cleaned and oiled and has to go to a new home ...

how's it goin' Karve ... built spec will be as my CC but might try out a RP23 ... unless someone here have a spare CCDB be interesting to find out if i can actually feel the difference ... problem is i might not (rider deficiency here ) ... and so my SPV 4 might be alright ... the rear is a bolt through ... i did not specify the rear and thought just to let Nicolai do their thing and it came as a 12mm through bolt no extra charge ...

Heihei ... no problems mate ... will give you a buzz once I have tweaked the settings ..

Boone, Whafe ... just got delivery of the 12mm bolt through for my Pro 2s ... only the shock mounting pins and spacers from TF tuned to go then i can get the fingers dirty again ...

too right Boozzz ... i knew when i built up my CC it was too heavy and so it did not help in the handling ... i had a lyrik for the CC???

someone once told me before ...
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY FRED
    But that is soooo the wrong fork for that bike.CF..

i tried to order a cable mounting for a top pull front derailleur but Nicolai did not recommend it due to the close clearance ... so bottom pull it is ... did not have to pay extra for the crud catcher mounts too ...

20080810 am frame 02 MTBR FORUM.jpg
    Last edited by chinaman; 08-14-2008 at 02:36 PM.

"Its All Good"
    Scotty ... HFTHS it was ... excellant bunch they were ... definitely have to go round to Ranmore again soon with the peeps ...

Lorni ... well the CC has been striped, ready to be cleaned and oiled and has to go to a new home ...

how's it goin' Karve ... built spec will be as my CC but might try out a RP23 ... unless someone here have a spare CCDB be interesting to find out if i can actually feel the difference ... problem is i might not (rider deficiency here ) ... and so my SPV 4 might be alright ... the rear is a bolt through ... i did not specify the rear and thought just to let Nicolai do their thing and it came as a 12mm through bolt no extra charge ...

Heihei ... no problems mate ... will give you a buzz once I have tweaked the settings ..

Boone, Whafe ... just got delivery of the 12mm bolt through for my Pro 2s ... only the shock mounting pins and spacers from TF tuned to go then i can get the fingers dirty again ...

too right Boozzz ... i knew when i built up my CC it was too heavy and so it did not help in the handling ... i had a lyrik for the CC???

someone once told me before ...

i tried to order a cable mounting for a top pull front derailleur but Nicolai did not recommend it due to the close clearance ... so bottom pull it is ... did not have to pay extra for the crud catcher mounts too ...

20080810 am frame 02 MTBR FORUM.jpg

Sounds like a great build......
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    the CC is essentially a XC bike hence the riding position will be as such ... whilst the AM is something for the middle between the FR and the CC, when Nicolai beefed the FR up to take longer forks than just up to 170mm.

what i am hoping is that the AM is just a lighter version of the FR which is built to take everything ...

my main problem now is that i have completely dissemble the CC and so have not actually measured the stand over height of the top tube. in addition, my CC was a large whilst the AM is a medium.

to answer your second question ... i do not think they will tweak the geometry for the CC ... it is an excellant bike for XC ...

BTW the length of the junction of the top tube and the seat tube, to the middle of the bottom bracket, for the CC is 39.5cm whilst the AM is 33cm (+/- 5mm) ... that tells me that there is a bit more room for the jewels ... , though it does depend on the height of the BB for each bike ...
    Cool beans - thanks for that! I need to throw a leg over a Nicolai one of these days to get a feel for the geometry.

wyrd bi ful rd
    More noticeable differences between the CC and the AM is:

- for the AM the seat stay is as thick as the chain stay. the CC having a slimmer seat stay.
    and of course the extra gusset to stiffen up the head and more welding for the seat tube brace with the top tube.

- the AM has clearance for tyres up to 80mm at the widest point, other than that, the chain stay looks the same as the AM.

- the front triangle for both the CC and AM looks to be the same, with the bottom tube having the widest diameter than the top tube then the seat tube.

btw all parts are in now and the build will commence. once i get the missus and the little fellow busy for about 3 hours ... hopefully the housing and cabling for the front derailleur will be long enough as i will be going bottom pull this time. I did leave a bit extra the last time i build the CC ...

wyrd bi ful rd
    as the AM came in a 12mm bolt through, had to remove the free hub body of my pro 2 and surprise surprise ... found one of the springs holding the pawls has just given up ...

20080818 pawl and spring hope pro 2 rear hub MTBR FORUM.jpg

good thing CRC has the spares in question ...

and took another picture just for comparison of the axels for the 12mm and the 10mm. the 10mm is noticeably heavier and the walls are thicker ...

20080818 12mm and 10mm axel hope pro 2 rear hub MTBR FORUM.jpg