Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

This bike is the ducks nutz.......

1K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  yetiman71 
#1 ·
I have been spending far more time on the Helius FR of late... Just thought with summer arriving finally, well kind of in NZ, I would get honed on the FR again, as opposed to the Rigid SS, of which I love...

I rode a night ride this week on the FR and again today, as I loaded it on the bike rack today. It crossed my mind at just how much joy this here bike brings to me. I am not wanting anything else bike wise at present. For sure I have a great stable of bikes. But I am still saying that the Helius FR is a focken sick all round bike. It down most stuff so so well. It climbs magic, it jumps magic, it is just all round a joy to ride.... It has been totally reliable, apart from usual drive train stuff....

It is so good to own a bike that after almost a year, it is still giving me a grin a mile wide...

Boring thread I know, just wanted to share my sheer joy with this bike....

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

See less See more
#2 ·
Good for you Wharfe! Thanks for reminding us that riding bikes really is about having fun. I think your comments also provide a good argument that we can all use with our partners when negotiating the next bike purchase, especially in these times of uncertain economic conditions. When something gives you that much pleasure, especially at a time when it looks like we're all going to go bust, then it's worth buying a new bike as a sort of investment against depression:D

Your Helius is truly sweet. As you know I've been loving the Ion since I took delivery but I don't get to ride it as much as I do the trail bike (which is a reduced travel Spesh Enduro). So I've been thinking about a Nicolai trail bike. I took a Helius CC out for a test ride the other day and thought it was OK. It was much lighter than the Spesh although it was the same travel (140mm) but I didn't really care for that. My local riding is great fun but not particularly challenging so I don't need more than 140mm but the CC was too nervous for my style of riding. I also couldn't stand the compression damping Swiss DT rear shock. Having said all that, I did do the test ride in the dark! But I reckong the Helus AM would fit the bill better.

Have fun Wharfe - great to hear that you're enjoying your steed.

#5 ·
The_Lecht_Rocks said:
sensible spec'd bike, FUGLY paint job.
geetee - who needs reminding ?
not long till my AM arrives :thumbsup:
it's been a while since the 6 pack left - I wonder if it'll exceed expectations ?
That's a bit harsh:eekster: I grant you it's not the paint job I would choose but each to their own. What spec will you have on the AM?

#9 ·
TLR - It's all good, beauty is in the eye of the beholder..... Be a pretty dam boring world if we all liked the same things...

Be patient with your wait, 5 weeks later than proposed is not a lot, try 7 Months!!!!!!!!

#10 ·
Indeed Whafe - always good to see different sh*t ... people should be encouraged to customise colors build kits parts setups... its all good.

Whafe i think the FR is the balls too... this year it has

Ripped DH in the Alps
Ripped DH at Fort Bill
Ripped DH in S Wales
Dropped of ladders skinnies and see saws on numerous bike parks
Raced 4x
Hit Dirt Jumps
Whipped XC riders round the flats of thetford and epping
Done a load of street around the city of London
Chased roadies down the local high street... thank god for a stable pedaling platform!

and most importantly...

Taken my riding to another level and generally left me with a big fat smile. My balls are waaaaaaaaaay bigger than this time last year as i have full confidence in the bike... always have time to correct my mistakes and it is so predicatable...

Now not saying its the best at any of that but its fun to ride and ill never run a shorter travel bike for general usage.

That is a lot of gushing.. there are a couple of things id like improved...

better standard sizing with better standover... and........... er thats it actually.... travel to 180 might be cool to

#13 ·
Hey man, good to see the stoke. You and I are in the same boat, it seems. There's something incredibly liberating about riding a "do it all" bike that would allow me to do just about anything a familiar or unfamiliar trail might send my way. What sucks more than a couple extra pounds is bailing on something that might be fun or help me with my goal of increasing my technical skills only because the bike wasn't designed for it, or might break. That's something that can't ever be quantified, in terms of how much more fun I have and how I focus on just about everything else, except for the equipment (outside of how well it's operating!).

Ride on!

#15 ·
JC - Totally agree with your thoughts, this bike installs total confidence in me, as does your RFX, great to have machines like this...

MattP - Yes did ride this steed at Northstar, liked riding there, some great trails, just needed more time to get to know the lie of the land so to speak... Never enough time.... Guess the snow is very near at Northstar, we are almost into summer in New Zealand, so the complete opposite weather wise....

All we gotta do is ride.....................

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.