Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Anyone ripping it up on an ION16 27.5?

That sucks a big fat hairy one. I've got anodised back end on order so hope it gets sorted.
    Can't imagine it will affect quality it's a microns thick absorption. Remove more material with wire wool on a raw frame just cleaning it up.
    If also hope they wouldn't let you have it if it wasn't up to standard. They have decided it's better to ask you to wait then send you something they thinks unacceptable. Frustrating tho it must be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Hi guys, interesting threadÖcan I burgle a bit of your time and ask about mondraker, which it sounds like some of you have experience with. Iím really keen on getting a foxy but test riding isnít really an option and Iím stuck on the sizing; Iím 6í2Ē and, having measured my current bike, it looks as though Iíd suit an XL but Iím a bit concerned it will be massive? any advice? cheers

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Ok Alex if you look at the other thread where I have ordered a Forward geometry Nicolai you will see my bike will have an ETT of 661mm. The XL 27.5 Foxy XR if it's a 2014 you are talking about is 667mm. I am under 5'11". 1.78m tall.

The straight answer is no, it won't feel massive at all not to ride. It will look long, and is but that's different.

I'll post some links here to Chris Porters writings but he is 6'1" and his ETT is now 700mm, of course with a 10mm stem.

There is also some sizing discussion on there.

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    cheers pilot, i want to use a 30mm stem as opposed to the 10, also what did your journo mate think of the xl and how big is he? could he still throw it around or did he ever comment on it being cumbersome?! thanks for your help

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Ok. If you use 30mm you have to decide. Chris would say its definitely not massive. So would I.
    You are some 90mm taller than me so I would expect you to want something like a 690-700mm ETT. On a conventional bike you'd have a 630mm-640mm ETT and 50mm -60mm stem?

Again have a look at the discussion on the forward geo thread with loamranger.

You have an advantage too, if it's a touch too long you have seat adjustment, but also scope to use the 20mm stem etc...

My journo friend didn't think it was cumbersome in any way, nor does Chris and he's fast.
    Journo went on to have a custom intense. Check out the reviews of the Foxy on bikeradar by Doddy, it's an XL 27.5.

I feel it's anything but cumbersome, the super short stem with wide bar makes response so direct and I never noticed the 1200mm wheelbase on my test rig.

Chris bike
    Chris Porter's custom Nicolai Ion 16 ? super bike - BikeRadar

His theories (I don't agree with all of them..)
    Size matters: why we?re all riding bikes that are too small - MBR

Bike detail

Interview: Chris Porter, on his custom Nicolai Ion 16 - BikeRadar
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Frames finally arrived today! Really happy with it.

Anyone ripping it up on an ION16 27.5?-frame.jpg

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    nice! did you get it from Moonglu by any chance?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Yup! Had a nice day up there today.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Yeah, i saw it on their FB page, your gonna love it, they're awesome bikes, just done two full days riding on mine and i can't fault it in any way!

Anyone ripping it up on an ION16 27.5?-20140619_131600.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Love that colour and wanted the Mavic wheels but was set on the blue frame!

First ride today and I'm pretty blown away, suspension was all on base tune settings but it felt great. Surprised how well it climbs too!

Just need to find some frame protection that works with the anodised finish, if anyone has any ideas it would be appreciated!

Anyone ripping it up on an ION16 27.5?-frame1.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

I had a good hard think about both the ano blue and the yellow..so hard the colour...
    Heli tape works fine with the ano, but obviously creates a slightly different finish however nothing will have no effect.
    I used heli on my blac ano frames without any issues.

Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I have an Ano Titanium Grey Ion 16 27.5" incoming. I too am looking at tape options. I was in touch with the chap who runs "invisframe" in the UK. He was not overly confident that the invisiframe product would bond to the Ano finish too well.

I have arranged to try some invisframe on the Ion when it arrives before I build it.

Will let you know how I get on.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2