Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Distributor
    I'd get that chain a few links shorter. I reckon you want the tensioner as near to horizontal as possible.
    Simon Still
    Momentum Distribution
    www.nicolai-uk.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolai-uk View Post
    I'd get that chain a few links shorter. I reckon you want the tensioner as near to horizontal as possible.
    I would have hoped that they would have removed the Coil from the shock and checked that the tensioner has enough to take the chain length reduction under full compression of rear end.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Weight of the above black anodized Helius AM PINION, including ROCK SHOX Monarch Plus 216 x 63 mm (8,5 x 2,5”) 6,96 kg (guru39).

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The white Ion 18 PINION (drurus) once again, now with a more refined build-up including a shortened chain.

I have hoped that he would have got the chain even some links shorter. He told that he would like to play with the gearing (chainring/sprocket) yet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone got a Helius Pinion AM yet?-original_ion18_pinion_13.jpg  

Anyone got a Helius Pinion AM yet?-original_ion18_pinion_14.jpg  

Last edited by Whafe; 08-16-2012 at 05:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    ИICOLAI Helius AM PINION, blue anodized. Weight, including BOS VipīR 216 x 64 mm: 6,9 kg (OssiOskar).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone got a Helius Pinion AM yet?-1-original_p1010013.jpg  

Anyone got a Helius Pinion AM yet?-1-original_p1010015.jpg  

Anyone got a Helius Pinion AM yet?-1-original_p1010016.jpg  

Last edited by Whafe; 08-17-2012 at 02:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Mine arrived on Friday and needs a couple of bits to finish but here's the progress so far:

Anyone got a Helius Pinion AM yet?-am-pinion-1.jpg

Anyone got a Helius Pinion AM yet?-am-pinion-2.jpg

Anyone got a Helius Pinion AM yet?-am-pinion-3.jpg

Spec might change a bit over the next few days but it's not far off.

I suppose it's time to let my old AM go now .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone got a Helius Pinion AM yet?-am-pinion-4.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    sdr,
    Beautiful.
    Is that the frame weight? What did your full build come out to weigh?
    Thanks,

Eric

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Amazing !!!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rugbyred View Post
    sdr,
    Beautiful.
    Is that the frame weight? What did your full build come out to weigh?
    Thanks,

Eric
    You'll need to ignore the last pic of the weight (user error!). I was going to post a picture of the current unfinished weight but I uploaded the wrong picture which I then tried to delete but obviously never. The current weight with Fox RP23 is just over 33lb and I think the only thing missing is handlebar grips.

mtbr member
    That's looking good... looking forward to reading your thoughts on it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thepimpmessiah View Post
    That's looking good... looking forward to reading your thoughts on it.
    I ain't telling you nothing..........you could meet me at Scolty Hill and try it for yourself though .

"Its All Good"
    Another wet dream for me
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sdr08 View Post
    I ain't telling you nothing..........you could meet me at Scolty Hill and try it for yourself though .
    report???

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cyril_88 View Post
    report???
    Nothing to report here. The bikes almost ready but I need to find a couple of 0.5mm shims for the rear sprocket.

Here's the finished weight:
    Anyone got a Helius Pinion AM yet?-am-pinion-weight.jpg

Hopefully I'll get out for a pedal this weekend .

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Very respectable weight for a bike that should take a beating and get you back to the top easily.

Eric

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I was thinking "thats light" when thinking of my fight with my AM to get it below 31.5lb but then I saw no adjustable post yet...looks nice and clean, I like it alot. Too heavy for me but I like it alot.
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Be carefull on some Pinion gear box there is a mistake on lock ring (3) assembly, on some exemple this lock ring is in the wrong way.

on the pictire below the lock ring is in the wrong side

on this picture you can see the difference

the results is that the lock ring make a lot of friction on the arm of the crank, you have just to follow the manual to make the correction and put it correctly.

On this forum the green ano is in this case, and also th ion 18, i receive both frame and it's the case for both, verify it before your first ride ;-).
    Last edited by cyril_88; 08-16-2012 at 07:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cyril_88 View Post
    Be carefull on some Pinion gear box there is a mistake on lock ring (3) assembly, on some exemple this lock ring is in the wrong way.
    On this forum the green ano is in this case, and also th ion 18, i receive both frame and it's the case for both, verify it before your first ride ;-).
    Thanks for the information. That'll explain the problem I've got with mine but before I could even complain I had an email from Dipper telling me that the tool and parts were in the post. Here's hoping they arrive soon .
    Last edited by Whafe; 08-16-2012 at 05:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the_pilot View Post
    I was thinking "thats light" when thinking of my fight with my AM to get it below 31.5lb but then I saw no adjustable post yet...looks nice and clean, I like it alot. Too heavy for me but I like it alot.
    Yeah I haven't bothered fitting my adjustable post yet, I just wanted to see how light I could get it with what I had lying around the garage and I don't think it's a bad weight considering my other AM ended up on the wrong side of 34lb once I fitted the Hammerschmidt. The weight is ideal for it's intended purpose (Gravity Enduro) and I have my AC for trail duties.

I don't think it would be too hard to get the bike down to 32lb with lighter tyres and swapping my heavy V2's for Formula The One's or RO brakes but it would be a struggle to go any lighter.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Mine arrived on Friday and needs a couple of bits to finish but here's the progress so far ...
    sdr08,

what really tasty build-up that black anodized AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Yeah I haven't bothered fitting my adjustable post yet, I just wanted to see how light I could get it with what I had lying around the garage and I don't think it's a bad weight considering my other AM ended up on the wrong side of 34lb once I fitted the Hammerschmidt. The weight is ideal for it's intended purpose (Gravity Enduro) and I have my AC for trail duties.

I don't think it would be too hard to get the bike down to 32lb with lighter tyres and swapping my heavy V2's for Formula The One's or RO brakes but it would be a struggle to go any lighter.
    I worked out a build for Dipper that was 32lb, so it is possible. I have my AC/AM29 for Gravity Enduro but certainly the Pro's I was doing in Italy it was tough with the AM at 31.5lbs. which was my final HS equipped weight. I still like the HS alot but I dont think i can take the 2lb hit over my 1x10 setup. I use mine for everything so it has to be light but strong. I'm happy with 28lb.

I'll either fit a 28t front cog to my crank or go Sram XX1 I think.

Lots of advantages to the Pinion I acknowledge though.
    Aka chainline...

Distributor
    Come on people - where are the ride reports?

I'm thinking that weight is really positive - I think my AC Rohloff is right around there so an AC Pinion could easily com in at the same weight. I'm thinking DT rear singlespeed hub now, which can be converted to 12mm.
    Simon Still
    Momentum Distribution
    www.nicolai-uk.com

"Its All Good"
    Totally agree Simon

And with the Pinion compared to the Rohloff, the weight is low and in the centre of the bike, whole lotta yeah ha on that...

Ride reports peeps, come on now!

Come on people - where are the ride reports?

I'm thinking that weight is really positive - I think my AC Rohloff is right around there so an AC Pinion could easily com in at the same weight. I'm thinking DT rear singlespeed hub now, which can be converted to 12mm.
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Come on people - where are the ride reports?.
    We're all waiting on a lock-nut tool!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    We're all waiting on a lock-nut tool!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast