Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilhelm6 View Post
    Shifting noise of a PINION P1.18 pre-production unit:

PINION P1.18 shifting noise (pre-production unit)
    How well does it shift under load? It looks like you are soft pedalling when shifting in the video.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by crank1979@optusnet.com.au View Post
    How well does it shift under load? It looks like you are soft pedalling when shifting in the video.
    You can change gear under load, so not at full load it's normal, then you feel it in the twister.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Pinion review posted on Pinkbike today:

Pinion P1.18 Gearbox: First Ride - Pinkbike

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by springfish View Post
    Pinion review posted on Pinkbike today:

Pinion P1.18 Gearbox: First Ride - Pinkbike
    THX a lot for the link! Maybe you know that Falco MILLE who supervises the discussion of the PinkBike article is responsible for the PINION brand communication meanwhile since he left the NICOLAI GmbH as their really great former PR assistant.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Some clarifying remarks of Falco MILLE (cited from the above Pinkbike article/discussion):

"Having the premiere test of the P1.18 on Pinkbike was something we had been planning for a long time, but it was the final 2012 production version that was supposed to be tested, not the pre-production version from 2011 Matt was riding. We were supposed to get the P1.18 into regular production at the beginning of May - as we were timing it on the delivery dates our suppliers assured us of. The internal P1.18 parts are produced by different German automotive suppliers and one of them admitted a delay in production of three months on short notice, which came as a surprise to us. The part was that important and challenging that we couldn't change the supplier. The bad news reached us when the date for the test-ride with Pinkbike was already set and we seriously considered cancelling it. The shifting performance under load is an important issue when riding a Pinion-equipped bike, and it is the major improvement we made from the pre-production version of the Alutech Fanes test-bike to the final version. We have completely redesigned the ratchet braces inside the freewheel that are responsible for a smooth and well-defined shifting process. As Matt has pointed out correctly, you can't shift the P1.18 from a long gear to a short gear under full load. That's not the problem. You can't do it with a hub gear either nor from a bigger to a smaller front sprocket with a derailleur system. You need to diminish the load for a split second. On this pre-production version of the P1.18 you can shift under full load from a shorter to a longer gear and with the final version of the P1.18 the shifting from long to short will significantly be improved under part load. The first P1.18 serial gear boxes will now be shipped to the bike manufacturers at the beginning of August."

"Pinion manufacturer notes
    ... Pinion is not a one product brand. The P1.18 is our initial product that is best for enduro and all mountain riding. The P1.18 is based on a platform technology that allows different gear sets. A Pinion gear box with a reduced downhill or freeride gear ratio is planed, also an 8-speed gear box e-motor unit, a light-weight or a budget version. ..."

"Maintenance and Service:
    The Pionion P1.18 is a low maintenance drive and this is one main advantage compared to a derailleur system. An oil change is recommended in annual intervals and can easily be done even by riders with substandard mechanical skills. Changing cables or the front sprocket is easy too. A service manual will be available with the product release. The internal gear assembly itself is rated for endurance strength. We warrant a service life of at least 40.000 miles. In the unlikely event of a internal damage the Pinion P1.18 can be replaced within minutes, as it is mounted to the frame by only three bolts. For repairs or replacement we are establishing a modern service network, including bike manufacturers, distributors, service centers and dealers. Service and replacement for Pinion bikes will be as comfortable as known from derailleur or IHG bikes."

"Shifter:
    The cable length that is needed to shift 18 gears in a row does not allow a common thumb shifter design. We are aware that many riders (including myself) are averse to grip shifters, as we might know them from some bad riding experience back in the nineties. So we really put some effort in designing a better grip shifter, excluding the known disadvantages. May be you give it a try. Besides we are working on an alternative solution. Hydraulic, mechanical or electric we are checking all options."

"We are checking different shifter options, also for future gear boxes with less gears, but by now it's too early to publish any forecasts. We've not done any research on automatic shifting."

"The P1.18 design provides a good ground clearance. Nevertheless the serial version will come with a mounting options for an upper chain guide and a bash guard."

"Weight:
    As the Pinion P1.18 is not a regular add-on part you can't compare its weight directly with the weight of a derailleur system. The P1.18 is replacing some other bike parts like rear sprocket, derailleurs and shifters and is also integrating a BB shell, bearings, axle and cranks.The stand alone weight of the complete Pinion P1.18 system is 2.7 kg. This makes an additional weight of a bit less than a Kilogram compared to a complete bike with a high-end 3 x 9 derailleur drive. - But with a low and centered mass and a lighter rear wheel."

"More Shifting:
    With the Pinion rotary shifter both individual and multiple gear shifts can be made with split-second precision. The indexing of the shifting is at the gearbox so unaffected by damaged or stretched cables or cable housings."

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Looking forward to seeing 1 of these

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

NICOLAI Helius AM PINION P1.18, Chain Tensioner

The latest release of the PINION P1.18 chain tensioner for now:

"Its All Good"
    The lines are so clean and pure.... Yummy
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    A derailleur hangar mounted chain tensioner looks much better afaik.

Distributor
    But I *suspect* this is more effective. Running Rohloff I on a full sus I definitely need some sort of front guide to prevent chain loss on rough ground. It's a problem on every descent, and probably no more of a problem than a conventional set of gears, but still unsatisfactory. The Pinion tensioner greatly increases the wrap on the chainring which should be enough to deal with chain loss.
    Simon Still
    Momentum Distribution
    www.nicolai-uk.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    A derailleur hangar mounted chain tensioner looks much better afaik.
    But is more likely to get damaged and adds to the unsprung weight.

mtbr member
    I wouldn't run a Rohloff in a full-susser again either, but I've seen Pinions with (Rohloff) chain tensioners and they definitely looked cleaner. The unsprung weight of the tensioner is negligible.

However, if I wanted to ride a integrated gear box bike, I'd go for the Nucleon.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    That looks good,only worry would be mud clogging in it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Latest entry (posted today) by NICOLAI at FB:

Yummy ...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Someone is going to be happy soon.

Thought the Gearboxes were delayed to September

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Hopefully that ano green one is for my frame. They said 28th of this month! Excited

mtbr member
    If you zoom in and look very closely I'm sure you can see my name on one of them!

I live in hope anyway .

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Hopefully that ano green one is for my frame. They said 28th of this month! Excited
    Hope so for you aswell mate.

Looks sweet

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sdr08 View Post
    If you zoom in and look very closely I'm sure you can see my name on one of them!

I live in hope anyway .

You will see it's a great bike

"Its All Good"
    Looks more than sweet, looks like a whole lotta yumminess
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Caution! Hold on!

Even moar yummieness: beautiful ИICOLAI Helius AM PINION. One of the very first production frames that was delivered today to Heidelberg/Baden-Wuerttemberg. Pics courtesy of guru39.

mtbr member
    The wait just got harder!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Prettiness in Green anodized + Titan anodized:

Courtesy of guru39.

mtbr member
    Green ano looks, well the word is appropriate here, awesome.

Can't get used to the slim fork crown and oversized head tube though. I'm curious what the weight will be in the end.

"Its All Good"
    Dam sexy ano green frame, exactly that in a 29er would be perfect for me....

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast