steep fast and loose :)

Any more Joplin users ?

anyone else using a Joplin out there ?
    how often do you find yourself stripping and re-greasing it ?
    and are you bothered about the 'play' in the clamp ?
    i'm impressed with the performance but unimpressed with the cost and 'apparent' fragility...

your thoughts ?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    The wife just got me one for Christmas (lucky boy) but I've not been allowed to have it before the 25th! I'll let you know my thoughts but the one feature I was worried about was whether a 3" drop is enough. Any thoughts on that TLR?

3" is certainly enough tbh. you'll be impressed with the adjustability, but i'm unconvinced about the play issue.

from 0 - sideways 3.2 sec
    I landed a small jump badly yesterday and gave the joplin a bit of a twating and it now wont stay down, i';ve had to take it off the bike.....

Seem pretty crappy re the play etc imho altho the idea is awesome.
    Visit - www.gravity-sports.co.uk - Exclusive high end MTB Products

Fat & Single
    I have had one on my enduro for 6 months with no bother at all , never even serviced/cleaned it yet . Obviously i dont have the wet here to clog it up with dirt but mechanically it has been 100% so far .

There is a bit of play in it but ive got used to it and dont notice it anymore.

I will be buying another one for my Nic build as the seatpost diameter is different on my enduro and wont fit the Helius..... i900 is also on the cards though , not decided yet
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

i900 looks like a dog compared to the Joplin - very nast clamp assembly - looks like it was hand forged in a back street. i'd doubt the clamps strength.......
    however, i believe it has more suspension / play longevity than the Joplin.
    dipper has used both - perhaps he'll comment....

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    i've had an i900 since it came out,I kept stripping and greasing as it would lock up untill i found out it was when i'd had the bike upside down{doh},the only maintainance now is when i wash the bike i give the lever area a good spray with lube as otherwise all the cack hardens in there and it won't work,the way to fix this if you forget, is spray a load of lube in there and take it down the motorway at 80 mph on your roof rack and it works again as it blows all the shite out

love it and would buy another tommorow,the clamp is pap untill you dog it up with lock tite

Yeah hopefully we'll get a proper version from fox or suchlike eventually!

Fat & Single
    I like the idea of a 5 inch drop with the i900 , i know CB do a 4inch drop now .... but you get pay $500au for the luxury

Edit : i900 in Helius size $199 http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/...table-Seatpost

Might be worth a try
    Last edited by ozzybmx; 02-16-2009 at 03:07 AM.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    I got a Gravity Turbo 4". No regret about it in comparaison of the other products on the market.
    Simple, mecanic, really easy to service (but almost never needed)

As far as lenght of the seat post, saying 3" in enough might also depends on your legs 4" is just fine for me.

but anyway the brand, those seat posts are a must have on an Helius AM or FR, it changes your ride for sure !

mtbr member
    My 4" GD post has been great for over 15 months requiring one service to grease the mechanism and one replacement cable outer. I still think it's the best adjustable seatpost on the market it's just a shame it's so ugly. However, rather weirdly, I think it actually suits the industrial look of Nicolai frames. The frames themselves aren't exactly pretty.

The 4" drop is fine but 5" would be better as I do suffer from lanky leg syndrome and on a few of the more extreme downhills I ride I still have to drop the post as well as the seat.

mtbr member
    Ive been using the joplin/speedball for a year - I have a good understanding of it as ive spent a few weeks riding with the speedball designer and all of us in our group ride with them (mates rates) I have seen him rip them apart and tweak them a few times now.

They are very sensitive to mud getting in them so its a good idea to fit a boot.. I use 1inch of inner tube to sort it out. does seem to do a good job.

The play which develops is because of wear to a brass bushing - this can be replaced if you are happy taking the post apart and i tend to do mine every 6 months to stop it getting too sloppy. www.garageworkssuspension.com can sort you out with the brass bushing as the guy who runs it used to work for Maverick in boulder.

Its awesome when it works but you do need to be confident ripping it apart now and then and replacing that bushing from time to time.. the newer seatposts such as the i900 seem to be better engineered but the speedball design is 4 -5 years old now so it is about time it was improved.

I would consider the jump to the i900 but they are so expensive right now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I've got the Joplin R on my Helius CC.

The nose of the saddle does wobble a bit, due to the play between the key and slot although you don't notice this when riding. Easy to strip and grease up and works a treat..

Was a tad concerned about the h'bar mounted clamp on my carbon bars, but seems fine.

Highly recommended if you like to hang off the back and in particular when wearing baggies..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.JPG (53.4 KB, 131 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.JPG (60.0 KB, 126 views)
    • File Type: jpg 3.JPG (62.8 KB, 127 views)

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I need 27.2 mm plus sleeve for 30mm post hole, but the importer says they are not available yet and gave no indication of availability. Anyone know when they are coming? Enduro, what size are you using? Do you think you could stop that movement with a change of seals or some other mod? How easy is it to dismantle? Surely it can't be difficult to improve? Anybody done mods?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I'm using a dia 31.6mm and I think it comes in a 30.9mm too..

Piece of cake to dismantle and yes the play can be reduced with either a new key or slightly stepped key fitted to the outer tube slot as well as the fixed slot (hope that makes sense!).

I'll try to find a new key from somewhere and report back.

Fat & Single
    No , but i asked CB directly if my 30.9mm post could have the bottom sleeve changed for a 31.6 sleeve ??

still waiting on reply , it took 3-4 days the last time so it will come.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

Fat & Single
    Reply arrived from Crank Bros -

Billy,
    Sorry. We do not have parts for sale.
    All we have are warrantee parts and they are very limited.
    Thanks
    John

So i have just bought an i900 in 31.6mm for my "soon to be" AM . Amazing we have them at a good price here in Oz, they come from a clearance place called TORPEDO7 for $199au each .... only 31.6 available too

Thats 89quid for the UKers (no pound signs on our keyboards)
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

Sweet! the clamp looks really nasty but hopefully it'll work well - I've not seen them working 100% yet as dippers one needed adjusted...

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    the clamp comes loose the first couple of rides but just dog it up with locktite after that and it will be ok

Fat & Single
    Yeah there is close ups of the clamp on the website . looks like a rough cast

Anyway the Joplin is a sweet piece of gear ... with a bit of play that you dont notice after a while .

The i900 has 5" drop and apparently no swing .... should do the job.

Im not one of those people who analyse the performance of the bike on every bump anyhow.... if the seatpost goes and stays where i want it , im good with it
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

stripped mine for the 2nd time tonight - lots of grease as i populated the top bushing under the screw cap a few times - once cleaned down thoroughly using wd40, i re-greased and re-assembled.
    10 minute job, and it's working like new again.....i had a wee bit of creep, but the clean-up service has sorted it....
    the bearing guide slots look in perfect shape, and there's no scoring anywhere on the shaft....
    think i'll keep using the neoprene boot however.....
    anyone know what the revised seals happen to be , available from 2pure ?