mtbr member

New question here. Anti Chain Suck Plate !

Has anybody got the factory fitted anti chain suck plate fitted to there Nicolai. I went for this option on my Helius FR 2008 model and have been having major problems with the chain getting sucked up and last week it bent the plate by about 90deg so after getting it straight and refitting as close to the chain rings as I feel was wise still the same problem but had to remove the whole plate to day as I was unable to get the chain out any other way ! Did not refit it as it is now scrap ! Maybe the weather and all the mud was causing extra suck or the chain is worn out but no other problems with the gears runs extra sweet until last weekend.
    Or the lube is breaking down due to mud and water ingress !

Any thoughts ?

Scotty
    Last edited by 5c0tty; 01-22-2008 at 06:38 AM.
    Nicolai Bikes in the South of England head to..
    http://www.head-for-the-hills.co.uk

Drink...sleep
    I remember back in the day they used to use these anti chainsuck plates quite a lot. Then it turned out they actually caused more problems than they solved, hence you hardly ever see them anymore on a bike. I'd just get rid of it permanently.

mtbr member
    I run a dual ring set up on my 08 and have had no issues with chainsuck. Not used the nicolai ones yet but like boozzz I remember the grief caused by the after market ones of the early 90's.

keep your drivetrain as clean as possible and keep an eye on chain and ring wear and you should be fine

mtbr member

Good job! Chain Rings worn out !

Managed to get the bike cleaned after the wet and muddy ride on Sunday and its now very clear that the middle and inner ring are worn out. New chain and rings on order.

Might get new anti chain suck plate made out of Ti by a local company. Then again only 20 from Nicolai not worth the extra cost of the Ti.

Will report back after new parts are fitted but I don't think this is caused buy the bikes setup or chain line.

Scotty

Drink...sleep
    Good chance your cassette is worn out as well then, if you've been running it with this same worn chain for a long time. Just slapping on a new chain could cause some massive skipping on the cassette.

mtbr member

Cassette !

You are right Boozzz

I only listed the parts that I had just placed on order ! I have a new cassette in the bike box at home already and will be changing it as a matter of coarse.

Roll on the Summer and nice dry flowing trails....

Drink...sleep
    Quote Originally Posted by 5c0tty
    Roll on the Summer and nice dry flowing trails....
    Oh yeah! I'm definitely no fan of muddy puddle dodging...