Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 100 of 142
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sdr08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    522

    Another Wee Sleekit Beastie

    Hi,

    Another driech day in the North but every cloud has a silver lining. Over the last month there's been a steady stream of boxes arriving from the Gravity Sports boutique and here's the results:

    Another Wee Sleekit Beastie-helius-am-001.jpg

    All I need now is some time to get her built up.

    Thanks again Dipper for sorting everything out .

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    703
    The XT or the HS?
    Looking forward to seeing the final outcome.

    Eric

  3. #3
    steep fast and loose :)
    Reputation: The_Lecht_Rocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,270
    LOL - that'll roll well on those wheels..............

  4. #4
    steep fast and loose :)
    Reputation: The_Lecht_Rocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,270
    oh no - French tat up front too !!!!!

  5. #5
    steep fast and loose :)
    Reputation: The_Lecht_Rocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,270
    but should work well with the wooden shock choice............ LOL

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,407
    Is that it? How many hours? Half the stuffs still boxed! I've changed my mind. Im not taking you on as a Saturday boy!
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

    flash bikes for flash gits

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: shakeyakey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    228
    sdr what happened to the FR? i loved that bike
    how many seatposts do you need??!

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,407
    Oh, he's still got that! And his UFO and another wee sleekit beastie on the way he can only see in monochrome hence the choice of colours!
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

    flash bikes for flash gits

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: shakeyakey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    228
    just seen the ufo! dam you have a collection of very similar but DAAAAMMMM good looking rigs!!! jealous much!!
    Last edited by shakeyakey; 02-19-2011 at 01:26 PM.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thepimpmessiah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    539
    I heard it was 180mm Fox you were seen carrying into the office?

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,407
    Quote Originally Posted by thepimpmessiah
    I heard it was 180mm Fox you were seen carrying into the office?
    They were for another addict. You'll see them propping up the front end of a blue afr elsewhere on here
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

    flash bikes for flash gits

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,012
    How many bikes are you building?

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sdr08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    522
    Quote Originally Posted by rugbyred
    The XT or the HS?
    Looking forward to seeing the final outcome.

    Eric
    That is the question! Pretty sure I'm going for the XT but need to decide whether it's to be 1x10 or 2x10 then order a chain guide to suit.

    I'm looking forward to seeing the final outcome as well but the bars aren't available until March so it won't be finished anytime soon .

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sdr08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    522
    Quote Originally Posted by dipper
    Is that it? How many hours? Half the stuffs still boxed! I've changed my mind. Im not taking you on as a Saturday boy!
    That was maybe the 'before' shot !

    Still short of a few critical parts before the build can commence In anger though.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sdr08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    522
    Quote Originally Posted by shakeyakey
    sdr what happened to the FR? i loved that bike
    how many seatposts do you need??!
    Don't worry the FR's safe and sound. It's a keeper .

    I bought a few iBeam saddles with the 'free' seat posts thrown in but I find them 'harsh' so I'm reverting back to railed saddles. Also the adjustable seat post was pinched from my FR so it needs a new perch.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thepimpmessiah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    539
    What wheels and shock?

    Looks kind of familiar...

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sdr08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    522
    Quote Originally Posted by thepimpmessiah
    I heard it was 180mm Fox you were seen carrying into the office?
    Pimp, you need to stop standing outside my office window, staring in! And whilst were on the subject, stop licking the windows as the cleaners are getting extremely p1ssed off about!!!

    Good spy but I was only the delivery boy. Forks are on DerekR's AFR.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sdr08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    522
    Quote Originally Posted by norcosam
    How many bikes are you building?
    Yeah not all the parts are for the AM. Currently I'm repairing one, building one and waiting (impatiently) for one.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,012
    Quote Originally Posted by sdr08
    Yeah not all the parts are for the AM. Currently I'm repairing one, building one and waiting (impatiently) for one.

    You will like the Devilles,Mine are sweet.

    I like it when you have lots of new stuff.Fitting it is as much fun as buying it.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sdr08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    522
    Quote Originally Posted by thepimpmessiah
    What wheels and shock?

    Looks kind of familiar...
    Yeah I wander why????

    Wheels will be a pair of Hope Hoops with Stan Flows that I already have but that might change as I have my eyes on a lighter wheel set at the moment.

    What shock?....I think you can guess what shock I've ordered!!!! There's a clue on the front of the bike!!! The frame was also supplied with additional mounts for a 200x57mm shock so I can try out my CCDB. In addition I also have a 216x63mm RP23 on another bike so I'll be spoilt for choice but at least it'll let me experiment to see what works best.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sdr08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    522
    Quote Originally Posted by norcosam
    You will like the Devilles,Mine are sweet.

    I like it when you have lots of new stuff.Fitting it is as much fun as buying it.
    The quality of the Devilles is superb and I'm bursting to give them a try. It'll be interesting to see how they compare to my Fox Vans.

    Yeah building the thing is almost as much fun as riding it! Especially when the local woods are like a swamp .

  22. #22
    from 0 - sideways 3.2 sec
    Reputation: derekr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,478
    looks great! Get it built tho, cant let bars stop ya!
    Visit - www.gravity-sports.co.uk - Exclusive high end MTB Products

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mugtree's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    209
    Too nice

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,012
    Dipper-You must be a good salesman.Most of Scotland must ride Nicolais by now

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation: shakeyakey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    228
    How come you decided on a AM to have as well as the FR? i have kinda played around with the idea myself but came to the conclusion they'd probably be too similar.
    Which bike are the totems going on?
    looking forward to seeing it (and the others) built as you do have a history of dam nice looking bikes! haha

  26. #26
    steep fast and loose :)
    Reputation: The_Lecht_Rocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,270
    Quote Originally Posted by norcosam
    Dipper-You must be a good salesman.Most of Scotland must ride Nicolais by now

    mwaahahahahahahhhahhahahahahha.................

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,407
    Quote Originally Posted by norcosam
    Dipper-You must be a good salesman.Most of Scotland must ride Nicolais by now
    Nicolai's sell themselves. All I have to do is swing them hypnotically in front of folk!
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

    flash bikes for flash gits

  28. #28
    from 0 - sideways 3.2 sec
    Reputation: derekr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,478
    Quote Originally Posted by dipper
    Nicolai's sell themselves. All I have to do is swing them hypnotically in front of folk!
    When you swing them infront of TLR's it seems the pedals scrape the deck

    Visit - www.gravity-sports.co.uk - Exclusive high end MTB Products

  29. #29
    steep fast and loose :)
    Reputation: The_Lecht_Rocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,270
    He sold me a fukkn dud.....LOL

  30. #30
    "Its All Good"
    Reputation: Whafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    10,697
    sdr08 - try the Straightline Silent Guide, am well impressed....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sdr08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    522
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    sdr08 - try the Straightline Silent Guide, am well impressed....
    I hear you. If I go 1x10 the straightline is right there at the top of the list! Really like the fact it has no moving parts as most rollers struggles in the lovely Scottish weather!

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sdr08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    522
    Quote Originally Posted by shakeyakey
    How come you decided on a AM to have as well as the FR? i have kinda played around with the idea myself but came to the conclusion they'd probably be too similar.
    Which bike are the totems going on?
    looking forward to seeing it (and the others) built as you do have a history of dam nice looking bikes! haha
    Good question and yes they are very similar. There's lots of reasons like I wanted a 12mm rear axle for security, a 1.5" head tube so I could fit a CC Angleset and play around with the head angle, Hammerschmidt mount, etc, etc....but the main reason is weight. As much as I love the FR it was just shy of 38lbs in Mega trim with 2.5" UST 2-ply Tyres, EX823 rims and an adjustable seat post which is just too damn heavy for a race bike. Now yes I know I could have shaved some weight from the FR but I decided to start again with a AM and test them back to back.

    Would love to try the Totems on my FR but that ain't gonna work with a 1.5" steerer! After seeing a couple of AM's fitted with Totems and Fox 180's I'm seriously tempted to try them on the AM although I think that frames were built using an AFR down tube for strength. I'll need to look into this one .

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sdr08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    522
    Shakeyakey, just came across a pic of yer FR! Nice looking bike and a 1.5" headtube! I'm so jealous, I wish mine had a 1.5" headtube.

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: shakeyakey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    228
    Quote Originally Posted by sdr08
    Shakeyakey, just came across a pic of yer FR! Nice looking bike and a 1.5" headtube! I'm so jealous, I wish mine had a 1.5" headtube.
    cheers mate , its changed a bit since then! just about to post some new pics on FR thread.

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Karve's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,437
    Quote Originally Posted by sdr08
    Good question and yes they are very similar. There's lots of reasons like I wanted a 12mm rear axle for security, a 1.5" head tube so I could fit a CC Angleset and play around with the head angle, Hammerschmidt mount, etc, etc....but the main reason is weight. As much as I love the FR it was just shy of 38lbs in Mega trim with 2.5" UST 2-ply Tyres, EX823 rims and an adjustable seat post which is just too damn heavy for a race bike. Now yes I know I could have shaved some weight from the FR but I decided to start again with a AM and test them back to back.

    Would love to try the Totems on my FR but that ain't gonna work with a 1.5" steerer! After seeing a couple of AM's fitted with Totems and Fox 180's I'm seriously tempted to try them on the AM although I think that frames were built using an AFR down tube for strength. I'll need to look into this one .
    Whats the weight difference between the 2 raw - i thought it was only a couple hundred grams when it can down to it- i think my fr was 3400g
    www.essexhertsmtb.co.uk - Mountain Biking near London in the UK

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sdr08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    522
    Quote Originally Posted by Karve
    Whats the weight difference between the 2 raw - i thought it was only a couple hundred grams when it can down to it- i think my fr was 3400g
    Any excuse for a new toy .

    Never weighed the FR raw but I wouldn't imagine there would be much in it!

    AM frame size medium anodised complete with 1.5" head tube, Hammerschmidt mount, 12mm rear axle, shock mounting bolts but no shock or mounting bushes came in at a very respectable 3190 grams. A couple of hundred grams in it at most.

    The FR's still the better looking bike though .

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,012
    I thought the difference was about 100g,The Am is the new FR

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sdr08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    522
    Quote Originally Posted by norcosam
    I thought the difference was about 100g,The Am is the new FR
    Just checked the weights and according to the Nicolai Tech sheet the FR frame weighs in at 3.5kg with the AM weighing in at 3.1kg. The AM is the new 'lighter' FR .

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sdr08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    522
    Another delivery from Gravity Sports this week and a few pictures for you all to enjoy .
    Another Wee Sleekit Beastie-bos-stoy-001.jpg

    Another Wee Sleekit Beastie-helius-am-002.jpg

    Another Wee Sleekit Beastie-helius-am-003.jpg

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thepimpmessiah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    539
    Looks good... is that a 350# spring?

    I'm currently running a 400# on a fox and it feels better than the 450#.

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,407
    So will it be ready for a blast this week?
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

    flash bikes for flash gits

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    898
    I thought the new AM weighed 3.4kg and that the weight had been increased by using a heavier down tube so that it could take a 180m fork.

    Is that not the case?

    Either way it is looking to be a great build SDR08!

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    170
    Weight only increased a little due to the enforced rear end. That should make the frame have about 3.2 kgs. The stronger downtube (+around 80 gramms) is still a option that one has to choose if needed, its not standard.
    I just switched from the FR to the AM and the AM is definitely a lot lighter.

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sdr08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    522
    Quote Originally Posted by thepimpmessiah
    Looks good... is that a 350# spring?

    I'm currently running a 400# on a fox and it feels better than the 450#.
    Hi Pimp, Yeah it came supplied with the 350# spring. Seems far to soft to me but only time will tell.

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,012
    I thought the newer AM's were 3.3kg for a medium,no extras

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sdr08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    522
    Quote Originally Posted by dipper
    So will it be ready for a blast this week?
    Nope! I'm still waiting for you to get me a chain guide!

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    170
    Mine is 3.15 kg size M ano with the stronger AFR downtube, but w/o the seat tube gusset.

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,012
    Quote Originally Posted by marcoton21
    Mine is 3.15 kg size M ano with the stronger AFR downtube, but w/o the seat tube gusset.
    Just looked at the Nic site,3.1kg for the frame.

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,012
    Quote Originally Posted by sdr08
    Nope! I'm still waiting for you to get me a chain guide!
    Dont order from chain reaction,Heard rumours that the payment part has been hacked,people have had extra transactions on there cards.Phone top ups etc

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sdr08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    522
    Quote Originally Posted by norcosam
    Dont order from chain reaction,Heard rumours that the payment part has been hacked,people have had extra transactions on there cards.Phone top ups etc
    Wish I knew that on Monday! Need to keep an eye on my account now I suppose!

    Not sure what's going on with CRC nowadays but the service has gone right downhill! The last few orders I've placed with them have taken a day or two to dispatch. I placed an order last Monday which wasn't dispatched till Wednesday and received Friday! 5 whole days ! What's that about? They used to have such a great service, order late afternoon one day and receive it first thing the next morning but not anymore.

  51. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,012
    I very rarely use them,Think they have got to busy,Exchange rates are helping them big time for outside the Uk orders,Think they are letting the Uk buyers suffer at the moment.
    A lot of times you can find it on someone elses site,or get you LBS to get close on price.

    Stoy is looking sweet,Would look nice on my Ac,Red,black and white,Perfect

  52. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sdr08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    522
    Looks like the 3.1kg stated for a medium anodised frame in the Tech sheet is fairly accurate then. Mine came in at 3.19kg but then that's with a 12mm rear axle and 1.5" head tube plus I weighed it complete with the Nicolai bolt through rear axle and shock mountings bolts.

    Now I just need to find a set of lightweight wheels for it .

  53. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,012
    I am trying to sort out a wheelset at the moment,Its a nighmare.
    I have a spare set of hadley hubs,thinking Arch rims and cx-ray spokes,Seems to come out at 1700g,only 50g lighter than the Sx wheelset that i have now.

  54. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    115
    Quote Originally Posted by norcosam
    Dont order from chain reaction,Heard rumours that the payment part has been hacked,people have had extra transactions on there cards.Phone top ups etc
    This may be true and it would explain my situation; HSBC had to cancel my debit card because they suspected fraud, only a couple of days after I ordered a pair of shoes from CRC...

  55. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thepimpmessiah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    539
    Quote Originally Posted by sdr08
    Hi Pimp, Yeah it came supplied with the 350# spring. Seems far to soft to me but only time will tell.
    I've been working my way down from 500#

    500# = 20% Sag
    450# = 25%
    400# = 30%

    With an air shock I'm get nearly 50% dynamic sag because of blow-through...and it still rides great most of the time (dreaded pedal strike though... but hardly surprising!!!).

    Really interested in how you get on...

  56. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sdr08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    522
    Quote Originally Posted by thepimpmessiah
    I've been working my way down from 500#

    500# = 20% Sag
    450# = 25%
    400# = 30%

    With an air shock I'm get nearly 50% dynamic sag because of blow-through...and it still rides great most of the time (dreaded pedal strike though... but hardly surprising!!!).

    Really interested in how you get on...
    I'm still surprised by how low the spring rate is on the Stoy especially since it's a very similar leverage rate to my FR and it's running a 500lb spring.

    Which linkage hole are you using? Are you using full travel?

  57. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thepimpmessiah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    539
    Top linkage hole with the coil, and yes to full travel with all the springs... next hole down works better with the air shock.

    Going to get both shocks tuned shortly now I have gathered enough experience of what I like/want.

  58. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sdr08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    522
    Quote Originally Posted by thepimpmessiah
    Top linkage hole with the coil, and yes to full travel with all the springs... next hole down works better with the air shock.

    Going to get both shocks tuned shortly now I have gathered enough experience of what I like/want.
    Not fancy trying either the CCDB or Stoy before you decide to get the Fox tuned?

  59. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation: shakeyakey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    228
    sdr could do with your advice on CCDB settings for my FR as you had a similar set up on yours.

    sam you been over Lee\crag quarry? went over today with the boys and its pretty fun tbf.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y43uG4naer4

  60. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,012
    Quote Originally Posted by shakeyakey
    sdr could do with your advice on CCDB settings for my FR as you had a similar set up on yours.

    sam you been over Lee\crag quarry? went over today with the boys and its pretty fun tbf.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y43uG4naer4

    If you are asking me.No i havent but i would love too,That looks fun,Would be a good warm up for the AC.I am looking up who iknow that lives close,so i can stay for a few days and ride there.

  61. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation: shakeyakey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    228
    Quote Originally Posted by norcosam
    If you are asking me.No i havent but i would love too,That looks fun,Would be a good warm up for the AC.I am looking up who iknow that lives close,so i can stay for a few days and ride there.
    thought you lived in yorkshire? only took about an hour from Leeds today

  62. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,012
    Quote Originally Posted by shakeyakey
    thought you lived in yorkshire? only took about an hour from Leeds today
    I live down in Cornwal.

    Looks like a sweet training/playground

  63. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thepimpmessiah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    539
    Quote Originally Posted by sdr08
    Not fancy trying either the CCDB or Stoy before you decide to get the Fox tuned?
    Of the three options mentioned only one can be afforded, or got passed the wife

  64. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sdr08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    522
    Quote Originally Posted by thepimpmessiah
    Of the three options mentioned only one can be afforded, or got passed the wife
    I thought you had 3 shocks? Sell them all and add the money for the shock tuning and treat yersell. Because you're worth it.

    Failing that......do you still have both kidneys?

  65. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sdr08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    522
    Quote Originally Posted by shakeyakey
    sdr could do with your advice on CCDB settings for my FR as you had a similar set up on yours.

    sam you been over Lee\crag quarry? went over today with the boys and its pretty fun tbf.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y43uG4naer4
    Not sure if I can help with settings for the CCDB as settings are unique to the rider, bike, terrain and conditions. I've always found it far easier to get an Ohlins trained technician to fettle my suspension and compare lap times for results but unfortunately I don't have that luxury on the mountain bike. Are you having trouble setting the shock up, more worried that you aren't running the correct settings or just curious as to what other people are running?

  66. #66
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thepimpmessiah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    539
    Quote Originally Posted by sdr08
    I thought you had 3 shocks? Sell them all and add the money for the shock tuning and treat yersell. Because you're worth it.

    Failing that......do you still have both kidneys?
    Very tempting... the more I think about it the more likely I am to get myself in big trouble.

  67. #67
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sdr08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    522
    New delivery from Gravity Sports today of some special 'Limited Edition' Hope V2's complete with Ti fitting kits.

    I'll try and get some better photo's over the weekend and post them up.

    Another Wee Sleekit Beastie-hope-v2-005.jpg

    Another Wee Sleekit Beastie-hope-v2-007.jpg

    Another Wee Sleekit Beastie-hope-v2-010.jpg

  68. #68
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thepimpmessiah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    539


    Ding dong!

  69. #69
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    648
    Just ordered a set of those for the tranny except gone for the m4 front x2 rear

  70. #70
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,190
    Those are very pretty v2s. I was gonna go with V2s, cos I do like the Hope, but not only were there no black when I was looking but I just couldnt get the power of my old saints outta my head, Saints +203 RT76 = light weight And BRICK WALL cheap too, added a Ti bolt kit and spent the diff on dreamy rear suspension

  71. #71
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sdr08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    522
    Quote Originally Posted by ianpinder
    Just ordered a set of those for the tranny except gone for the m4 front x2 rear
    Got a set of the limited edition M4's as well for my next project and they look even better than the V2's. I just hope the green doesn't clash with the Stoy!

  72. #72
    "Its All Good"
    Reputation: Whafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    10,697
    Quote Originally Posted by sdr08
    I just hope the green doesn't clash with the Stoy!
    Its a clash that will be worth seeing.....

    I dont own any Hope brakes, but of all brakes available, the Hope are raw and engineered like a Nicolai... Great combo....

    I still think they are hugely heavy.... Small thing, but a BIG thing if that makes sense
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

  73. #73
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,190
    I had lime green chroma bars on my Nic until recently, and RED Hope M4s, that combo is now on my Evil and still looks great :-)

    Can't wait to get the Stoy/Deville/Saint Brake/50mm Point One Stem/780mm Answer Pro Tapers and -1.2deg Saar deep cup headset on the AM. nothing like a sea change eh

  74. #74
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sdr08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    522
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    I still think they are hugely heavy.... Small thing, but a BIG thing if that makes sense
    The weight is a BIG thing but I also like the power, modulation and reliability of the Hopes plus there tried and tested.

    I checked the weights earlier and I would lose almost 400 grams by swapping to a pair of The One's so I wouldn't rule out a swap just yet. My main problem is that with V2's complete with vented rotors I've never had any brake fade during the long alpine Descents so I'm reluctant to try anything else.

    How are you getting on with yours? Are they as good as they say they are? And what size rotors are you running?

    Edit: I've just came across some real measured weights for The One's and it looks like the difference between the two brakes could be less than 250 grams.

    Pair of V2's complete with mounting hardware and 203mm floating rotors 1131 grams vs 868 grams for the One's complete with 180mm discs.
    Last edited by sdr08; 03-13-2011 at 03:40 AM.

  75. #75
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sdr08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    522
    Quote Originally Posted by the_pilot
    I had lime green chroma bars on my Nic until recently, and RED Hope M4s, that combo is now on my Evil and still looks great :-)

    Can't wait to get the Stoy/Deville/Saint Brake/50mm Point One Stem/780mm Answer Pro Tapers and -1.2deg Saar deep cup headset on the AM. nothing like a sea change eh
    You sir are they ultimate fiddler! I get the impression that you're bike evolves/changes on an almost daily basis! You can't even call it upgrade-itis as it's all top shelf components to start with .

    The largest bars I have are 745mm and I thought they were about as wide as I'd every like to go......that was until I had a shot of Dippers AC 29er fitted with 780's which felt great strangely enough but then that big wagon wheels do have a way of making things appear much smaller than normal. That wide bars also made my local trails a lot narrower!

  76. #76
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thepimpmessiah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    539
    I fitted some Formula RX to my AM last night. Picked them up for a silly price and figured bung them on here for a try out to replace my V2's which need a service.

    About 150g lighter per end than the V2's... hopefully at some point this week I'll get a ride in to see if there is a downside.

  77. #77
    mtbr member
    Reputation: shakeyakey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    228
    Quote Originally Posted by sdr08
    Not sure if I can help with settings for the CCDB as settings are unique to the rider, bike, terrain and conditions. I've always found it far easier to get an Ohlins trained technician to fettle my suspension and compare lap times for results but unfortunately I don't have that luxury on the mountain bike. Are you having trouble setting the shock up, more worried that you aren't running the correct settings or just curious as to what other people are running?
    You've spent longer on yours and have had time to fiddle, as i only get to ride a couple of times a week (and mostly that seems to be on the dh bike not the Nicolai) i just wanted a good starting point to play.
    You doing the mega this year?

  78. #78
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sdr08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    522
    Quote Originally Posted by shakeyakey
    You've spent longer on yours and have had time to fiddle, as i only get to ride a couple of times a week (and mostly that seems to be on the dh bike not the Nicolai) i just wanted a good starting point to play.
    You doing the mega this year?
    Actually its not a bike I tend to use a great deal. It only tends to come out when I'm heading to Fort Bill, Laggan Wolftrax or the alps. I'd have to check the current settings Because I have no idea what they are but I started with the recommended settings and worked from there. The one problem I found which seems to be a trait of the shock is that it's hard to lift (pop) the front unless you lose the small bump compliance but then I do have a habit of riding around problems instead of fixing them.

    Yip my entries already in for this years event and not only that I've also signed up for the MacAvalanche (although I'm hoping I don't get picked for this one). Are you doing the Mega this year?

  79. #79
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sdr08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    522
    Quote Originally Posted by thepimpmessiah
    I fitted some Formula RX to my AM last night. Picked them up for a silly price and figured bung them on here for a try out to replace my V2's which need a service.

    About 150g lighter per end than the V2's... hopefully at some point this week I'll get a ride in to see if there is a downside.
    You'll need to let us know how you get on with them and how they compare. I'm sticking with my V2's though as that 30km trail known as the Mega is tough on brakes.

  80. #80
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    115
    Anyone has any experience or info based on reality about the Gustav Ms?

  81. #81
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    58
    some of my friends are running gustavs without any issues for a seriously long time now.
    I guess the oldest set in use has seen around 10 years of use by now.
    Another one is going for 5+ years.

    They are heavy and overbuilt, but they are also strong and reliable.
    Magura service is great over here in germany, but what can i say i live half an hour away from where they are made.

  82. #82
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    115
    I think I have read in their website that they stopped making them so I am tempted to buy them in case I find them on good discount.
    I was wondering whether their very heavy weight is counterbalanced by their power since according to Magura's decelerating numbers these must be the strongest brakes out there.
    Cheers

  83. #83
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sdr08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    522
    Not much progress with the build so I thought I'd post some pictures. Everyone likes pictures don't they? Currently missing a few parts and I still need to decide on whether to run 1x10 or 2x10 before I can continue.

    Enjoy.

    Another Wee Sleekit Beastie-helius-am-001.jpg

    Another Wee Sleekit Beastie-helius-am-002.jpg

    Another Wee Sleekit Beastie-helius-am-003.jpg

    Another Wee Sleekit Beastie-helius-am-004.jpg

    Another Wee Sleekit Beastie-helius-am-005.jpg

  84. #84
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sdr08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    522
    And a few more:

    Another Wee Sleekit Beastie-helius-am-006.jpg

    Another Wee Sleekit Beastie-helius-am-007.jpg

    Another Wee Sleekit Beastie-helius-am-008.jpg

    Another Wee Sleekit Beastie-helius-am-010.jpg

    Another Wee Sleekit Beastie-helius-am-011.jpg

  85. #85
    steep fast and loose :)
    Reputation: The_Lecht_Rocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,270
    lol at the coke can head tube - looks like a lizard rattling in a tin .......

  86. #86
    mtbr member
    Reputation: shakeyakey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    228
    you decided on wheels yet? def think you should try a dt rear hub, also black rims and hubs with white spokes would look pimp on that beast

  87. #87
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sdr08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    522
    Quote Originally Posted by shakeyakey
    you decided on wheels yet? def think you should try a dt rear hub, also black rims and hubs with white spokes would look pimp on that beast
    Nope not yet. I'm finding the search for suitable wheels a little frustrating and I think it's about time I started a thread on the subject to get some opinions and views.

  88. #88
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thepimpmessiah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    539
    I've been on the 400# spring for a few rides now and it just keeps feeling better, I'm now thinking of trying a 350#... measured my sag again and just over 28% so I have room to move I think.

  89. #89
    "Its All Good"
    Reputation: Whafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    10,697
    A whole lotta yumminess. me likey & lovey

    Wheels = Hadley Hubs, Flow rims, black Sapiam bladed spokes
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

  90. #90
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rpm100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    445
    Head tube aside, a lovely looking bike.
    I would also keep the wheels simple and I would run the combo that whafe says above.

    I even know where some mint Hadley hubs are for sale. Cheap...........

    (This is your cue Norcosam )

  91. #91
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    506
    1*10 for sure!

  92. #92
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,190
    Hammerschizzle all the way, can't believe you've got a Hammershizzle 'lying around'

  93. #93
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thepimpmessiah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    539
    Wheels... at this point in time you either splash the cash and become an early adoptor of carbon rims or sit on the fence and see how they pan out. I'd go for Flow rims on Hope Evo hubs... nothing fancy but easy to repair, and easy to sell if carbon is proven.

    I'm boring myself with this suggestion.

  94. #94
    from 0 - sideways 3.2 sec
    Reputation: derekr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,478
    yawn
    Visit - www.gravity-sports.co.uk - Exclusive high end MTB Products

  95. #95
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,012
    Been running 2x10 for a while now,Love it,Thinking of trying 1x10 in the summer.11-36 cassette is awesome.

    Hadley hubs,Cx-rays and Flows sounds good,I know of a set of Hadley hubs that are spare.

    Will hopefully have a new set of wheels soon.I hope i wont regret changing the Mavic Sx wheels that i have been running for a few years.They have been excellent.

  96. #96
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sdr08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    522
    I actually have a pair of Hope hoops with Flow rims that I was going to throw on the AM. My wheel dilemma was actually for the AC! The plan was to buy a set of Hope hoops with Crest rims for the AC but I'm not sure how I'll get on with narrow tyres then I came across the Easton Haven wheels which are labelled as All-Mountain/Enduro, accept a 12mm rear axle, can take up to 2.5" tyres and only weigh 1650 grams! This would seem to be a perfect wheel set that can be run on either my FR, AM or AC with anything from narrow XC Tyres to dual ply 2.5" DH monsters. But......and there's always a but! The 6 bolt mounting face for the brake discs mimic the tabs for the spokes which I hear makes them unsuitable for floating (aluminium carrier) type discs which I want to run. Now I really don't want to machine a pair of brand new wheels and void the warranty just to fit a pair of discs because of a design oversight so I need some help and advice.

    So is there anything else out there to fit 20mm front, 12mm rear, can take up to 2.5" tyre and weighs around 1650 grams excluding carbon rims?

  97. #97
    "Its All Good"
    Reputation: Whafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    10,697
    Get a bit of Enve into ya, the rims rock....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

  98. #98
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sdr08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    522
    Quote Originally Posted by thepimpmessiah
    I've been on the 400# spring for a few rides now and it just keeps feeling better, I'm now thinking of trying a 350#... measured my sag again and just over 28% so I have room to move I think.
    That gives me a bit more confidence In my 350lb spring as it still seems low to me but only time will tell I suppose. I usually run 25% for my local hill and 33% for more gravity oriented type riding and it'll be interesting to see how you get on.

  99. #99
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sdr08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    522
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    Get a bit of Enve into ya, the rims rock....
    What part of 'excluding CARBON' did you not understand Whafe?

    I did give them some thought and maybe I will next year but firstly I'm holding back after buying 2 new bikes and secondly they will get chipped to hell by flying rocks at the Mega which would probably bring a tear to my eye.

  100. #100
    mtbr member
    Reputation: thepimpmessiah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    539
    Quote Originally Posted by sdr08
    That gives me a bit more confidence In my 350lb spring as it still seems low to me but only time will tell I suppose. I usually run 25% for my local hill and 33% for more gravity oriented type riding and it'll be interesting to see how you get on.
    350# on its way

    I'm still carbonphobic on my big bikes...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •