Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2006

Another FR 08 JOINS THE GANG

Here is my personal 08 FR. Going to take her out sunday to brake her in. Will right a review between 07 fr and 08 fr after the ride.

Build Spec

Frame: Nicolai Helius FR

Fork: Fox Float 36 RC2
    Rear Shock: Cane Creek With Ti Spring 550
    Stem: Thompson X4
    Handle Bars: Race Face Carbon
    Brakes: Hope Mono Mini
    Wheels: I9 Enduro 5.1
    Cranks; XTR
    Rder X9
    F der XTR
    Shifters: Sram XO
    Cassette: XT
    Chain: PC991
    Seat Post: Race Face
    Seat : WTB

Weight 31.4
    Attached Images Attached Images

'All over it!'
    Let me be the first to congratulate you on a beautiful ride there. I must admit the black with silver graphics is the money. Let us know how she rides? at that weight she will be awesome for the trails. What type of riding do you do?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    thanks i do alot of technical and single track don't drops any more whafe rode with us last year,

'All over it!'
    Keep us posted how she rides

banned
    Feb 2008

That a boy,,

Sweet whip brother,can't wait to hear your thoughts.

mtbr member

Looking real good.

Looking at the head tube its clock up some miles.
    Are you having fun with the FR?

I must stop looking at the Cane Creak Shocks !
    Nicolai Bikes in the South of England head to..
    http://www.head-for-the-hills.co.uk

mtbr member
    That is a lush looking rig.. slick slick slick

Rear Shock: Cane Creek With Ti Spring 550

Whats ur weight?

Is it just me or does the Helius FR have the highest % number of CCDB in peoples builds than any other bike... RFX might come close

mtbr member
    May 2006

First Ride on New FR

Hey guy's just got back from a 3 hour rip on the FR omg! First let me say that when Whafe was talking about the bike i was saying to myself how much better could it be. Well he was right on the bike is so different i don't know where to start.
    1 07 FR is a great bike and i don't want to take anything away from it.
    2 The 07 has so many good quality very stiff, alot of adjustments,meaning you can set it up for trail or hucker, bike park and etc.But by saying that you do loose somethings because the frame to me as my opion is it made to do everything good. Which is good for someone that want a bike for many things.

08 FR
    To me this bike had alot of thought and time put into it.There are 2 setting for the rear, one for air and the other for coil.To me keep it simple stupid which makes it easy for everyone.When i got on the bike for the first time it felt perfect like my Knolly Endorphin did fit like a glove. Where i had more fiddling with the 07.The seat stay is about 2 to 3 inches shorter then the 07 which makes the bike quicker and easier in tight spots. I also feel again my opion that the CCDB works better on the 08 then the 07.The bike sets up easy for speed drops making it effortless . The bike also climbs better with the shorter rear end when you are at that last push it just pushes you forward to get over the hump.In conclusion the bike is totally redesign and there is a big difference on how it performs.Know remember the 07 is a great bike and in my opion still alot better then most things out there but how Nicolai redid this bike is amazing didn,t think they could improved on perfection but they did. Remeber one thing if you are going to use a air shock on the 08 it has to be a 2stroke shock and the coil has to be 2.25 unless you use a 5.0 DHX air then it the same as the coil. Hope this was helpful for everyone and have a great easter . ncig
    Last edited by ncig; 03-25-2008 at 04:52 PM.

local trails rider
    What size is it?
    Or is it custom geometry?

I have the impression that German bikes often have the top tube pretty high but it does not look so high in the photos here.

NOT Team Sanchez
    HOT DAMN!!!!!!!!!! THAT'S THE HOTTEST BIKE MY EYES HAVE EVER BEHELD!

one suggestion though, get a black marz 55 to complete the color motif and make her even stealthier! Well done dude!
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    The frame is a med and no it is not to highat all.

Living Ghetto Fabulous!
    Wow! Nice...
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    The internet sounds like a tough place to ride.

"Its All Good"
    ncig - Lookign hot, really awesome looking build and bike, she has come in real light too. Nice..

Thanks for the write up, glad am not the only one whom feels the difference is huge between an 07 and 08.... It is indeed on the money, I wish I could translate the ride into words, not real good at that... You will all have to take my and others word on it...

Enjoy that very stealthy beasty ride.... Yeah baby

Am going to have to try and get up your way again, a fairly big clan of Nicolai's now... Not that that is the only reason to come up there.....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

banned
    Feb 2008

Black Marz 55,

Quote Originally Posted by wasea04
    HOT DAMN!!!!!!!!!! THAT'S THE HOTTEST BIKE MY EYES HAVE EVER BEHELD!

one suggestion though, get a black marz 55 to complete the color motif and make her even stealthier! Well done dude!
    And what,kill the great ride that comes with having the Fox 36?Ever hear of paint?Trust me Ncig is my boy and he HATES Marz(and for good reason.)

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks Whafe hope you come again hopefully ther will be more nicolai that will come with you. I have to say that you were totally right about the bike. When i talked to Nicolai they told me they looked for the best setting and travel and geometry to make the fr. From what i see they did that with the Ion too now that is a very expensive frame! Four Thousand us dollars frame only! hope to see the nicolai gang are way soon.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Dude, spectacular build! Love the FR, such a nice frame and your build compliments it perfectly.

lazy piston
    Mar 2006
    Hey ncig congrats on your new ride! The weight is amazing I should say.

However I don't quite get this comment:
    Quote Originally Posted by ncig
    The rear end is about 2 to 3 inches shorter then the 07 which makes the bike quicker and easier in tight spots.
    <...>
    The bike also climbs better with the shorter rear end when you are at that last push it just pushes you forward to get over the hump.
    I used to think that the chainstays were identical on '07 and '08 So I don't quite understand how the rear end of the '08 is 2 to 3 inches shorter and how you felt such a huge improvement in the handling.
    I know the seatstays are made quite a bit shorter but that doesn't affect overall geo of the bike at all
    Could you explain?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Hey Smith when i measured the 07 to 08 it was that much shorter by being shorter it make the bike i feel handle quicker and by shorting the seat stays make chain stays shorter .

lazy piston
    Mar 2006
    Hey Smith when i measured the 07 to 08 it was that much shorter by being shorter it make the bike i feel handle quicker and by shorting the seat stays make chain stays shorter .
    ncig
    Could you do me a little favour and measure the distance between the center of the bottom bracket and the axle of the rear wheel?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Hey Smith no problem let me explain to you how it was explain to me .When they shorten the seat stays it pulled the rear end closer to the front triangle and there is on thing i forgot to mention to everybody the rear dropout are much different the wheel doesn,t sit into it as high as the 07 will get back to you on measurement .

lazy piston
    Mar 2006
    When they shorten the seat stays it pulled the rear end closer to the front triangle
    I'm inclined to think that shorter seat stays actually pull the shock closer to the rear while the chain stays remain the same.

will get back to you on measurement .
    Would be cool if you measured the '07 the same way so we could compare the numbers.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by Smith
    I'm inclined to think that shorter seat stays actually pull the shock closer to the rear while the chain stays remain the same.
    You are correct. The net effect is that the seat stays are shorter and therefore stiffer. Chainstay length is unaffected.

Hard funkinī Kraut
    @ ncig,

boahh, congratulations, that Bike is awesome, especially the weight is the lightest I have heard so far for a 08 Helius
    There are some new Rides on Nicolais german mtb-news Forum, none of them is lighter than 37,4 lbs - park only or what ... !!!

By the way, the actual chainstay-lenght is the same as 07!

@ perttime

The Toptube seems to be high, but the standover-hight (where the Toptube meets the Seattube) is the same for all Framesizes, and isnīt that high you might think.
    You can slope it more down if you like that on custom-geo. I was considering that option for me with a 15,7 inch Seattube, but i would end up paying 2800 Euros incl. XFusion-Shock !!!
    Would like to see Karveīs Bike in full built, maybe I can go with the standard short St

Greetings from Cologne, Germany
    NoStyle

mtbr member
    Both me and Whafe have light build's and are miles away from this weight!
    Me thinks I need to try again with a fully dry bike.
    It's hard to say how good the bike climbs as its just great but i'm finding it harder to work out the down hill side of things as the faster I go the better the bike seems to get !
    Still trying to get over a few jumping issues that I seem to have with the new bike ! Most have been brought on by a faulty Talis unit in my 06 Fox 36's
    Roll on the summer as I would love to know how the FR is going to be on the dry hardpack trails ...
    Nicolai Bikes in the South of England head to..
    http://www.head-for-the-hills.co.uk

MC MasterShake
    What a tremendous looking bike. That must rip around here. I bet you can't wait until Lynn Woods opens up. That bike will shred it to pieces. BTW, how much does that frame cost? What's the wait time like?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast