mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Idea! Anodising an existing Powder Coated Frame

Just sharing some of the info I have gathered whilst wondering if I should do this.

If you have a tired powder coated frame or just want a change and you fancy anodising it, it is possible.

I have identified two suppliers in the UK that undertake the stripping process utilising both environmentally (compared to older processes) and more importantly Aluminium friendly chemicals and have experience with high quality engineering parts, Aircraft, high end cars etc. Such that machined surfaces and the substrate (alu) are unaffected. Both appear knowledgable and friendly. Approximate prices vary between 40 and 70 excluding postage to strip and neutralise to a standard suitable for anodising. Turnaround approximately two working days.

Further to that Stevetheanodiser has given me a price of 100 excluding postage, to bead blast the frame (cosmetic only to ensure a high quality even finish to the ano) and then ano in any colour except White. Engineering parts already anodised can be reanodised either the same or a different colour too.

A matt finish can be achieved with the anodising by etching the surface prior to anodising as well if desired. Turnaround approximately 3 working days.

So there you have it.

I could publish the links to the stripping supplier(s) and also Steves email if there is demand.
    Steve has great feedback on STW and has been extremely helpful and informative following my many questions, the company foes all sorts of parts for F1 teams and fighter aircraft so I think the Nic would be in safe hands.

The only question then is for 170 should I change the colour of my frame and anodise it as a guinea pig!! OR thrash it for this season and do it before the winter.

Silly question to you lot really, we all seem to want to live vicariously through each other.

Its all SDRs fault and seeing his black ano wee beastie...black ano/red extra love, black ano, black extra love...what would go with Stoy/Deville the best.....Leave it white extra love for another year, decisions decisions..

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Steve the Anodiser is very good,He did the Polished red bits on my AC and on the ION.
    Brilliant bloke and fast return of parts.

mtbr member
    How come I'm getting the blame!

I'd stick with the white as it's cool. I like White bikes.