Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Am Shows Up

mtbr member
    May 2006

Am Shows Up

So the AM finally makes it's apperance very impressed.

Let me do set up first.

MED BLACK ANODIZED AM
    REAR SHOCK CCDB 550 TI SPRING
    FRONT FORK FOX 36 FLOAT RC2
    HEAD SET CHRIS KING
    BRAKES HOPE MONO MINI
    FDER XTR
    RDER X9
    WHEELS I9 ENDURO
    CRANKS XTR WITH E THIRTEEN GUIDE
    SEATPOST TOMPSON MASTERPIECE
    STEM THOMPSON 31.8
    HANDLE BARS FSA 190
    SHIFTER SRAM XO
    CASSETE SRAM 990
    TIRES SWALBE NOBBY NICKS

WEIGHT 30.5

So i set bike up at the 150 setting in rear front set at 143 the bike was awful to steep of a head angle bike was very twitchey and not stable for me.

So i set the rear at 160 and changed the fork to 163 much better steepend the bike and felt much more stable I like this setting the bike felt the best to me in this setting.

The ride. This bike is so well design it is like everthing you would expect from a Nicolai.
    The bike climbs great especially in technical climbing descends great and is very stable in what you throw at it now this not a hucker bike in my opion that would be the FR. This frame is a little more refind. I would not be doing crazy drops or stunt with the AM I would leave that to the FR. But it is right at home in technical rocky terrain that not a problem at all.

Now i want to clear something up dipper is right on this frame will not be under 30 pound unless you use a rear air shock i was a little taken back that it weights very close to what my FR weight but i have to say this bike rides light . I really thought i was going to be under 30 pound i was wrong. The other thing dipper is right about it the CCDB IS THE REAR SHOCK FOR THIS BIKE!

The bike does pedal effortless doesn't seem to feel like you using alot of effort.

Something off base alittle bit running nobby nicks and seem to be getting alot of flats is anyone else experience this and what is everyone running for air preasure i am running around 38 to 40 pounds.

Will keep updating as i get more time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Jiiiiiiiihaaaa, boy that's a nice ride.

Edit: Just took a closer look at your parts-list and the 30 pound mark. That will be a tough one to knock down, even with an air shock. I mean, you've already choosen very light parts, the tires as you say yourself may be even a tiny bit to light and still didn't make it sub30.

But that beauty is still very light at 30.5lbs or 13,8348 kg's .
    Last edited by Testmaen; 09-21-2008 at 04:00 PM.

'All over it!'
    I concur, a nice ride indeed. The red and black certainly looks the business. Congrats and enjoy.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks guys the color combo is different for me but i like it alot.Testmaen I think you could take almost another pound with the air shock but why would you.

wyrd bi ful rd
    nice ride ncig ...

what stroke length are you using for your CCDB? will the rear tyre hit the seat post at full compression?

i noticed that you mentioned that the head tube angle changes as you change the mounting for the rear shock ... maybe it is because you have your fork set at 143mm

i noticed on my AM that the BB does not increase or decrease in height from the ground ie no change in head tube angle when i switch from the highest rear travel setting to the lowest ... on all 4 settings ... (fork length being constant)
    ie once you set the top mounting rear shock position at 200mm from the front mount, all the other 3 rear mounting positions are also at 200mm from the front ie they are all aligned on the same arc from the front bolt.

just another thought ... if you change the rear shock mounting position, you are changing the leverage ratio and so for a coil shock you will effectively need a different spring to maintain the same sag ... i think i am right ... hopefully ...

'All over it!'
    Chinaman, I am glad you know what you are talking about...........as you have just baffled me!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    chinaman you might be just right have not had the time to go over all of that. rear shock stroke is 57mm and no it has not hit seattube at all. you are right about spring rate i did change the spring to 450 in 150 setting. Right now the bike setup for me is perfect. Where do you have yours set at. Any help with tires?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ncig
    Any help with tires?
    Do you get the flats on the same tire or front and rear about equally ? What inner-tubes do you use ? Are those standard Nobby Nics or the reinforced version ?

I usually run 32-36psi on my hardtail an the Nonius and haven't had many flats so far. Your pressure is even higher, so that should't be the source, as you tend to use higher pressure to prevent pinches and reduce rolling resistance (on tarmac) and lower pressures for more traction and comfort.

I bike long tyme.
    Very nice!!
    Rear suspension design looks almost identical to a Chumba XCL....or vice versa.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Testmaen just the rear tire . I also have the snakeskin sidewalls to when i was running Kenda Nevagal wasn't getting flats.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Hi ncig, congrats.....first AM under 32lbs. The only way to reduce weight further would be to replace all the bolts to ti.... if you can be bothered......may be you would save half a pound? I like the red and black look...but please paint the fork black or red? I have been running 2.4 NN's with no probs. at 35 psi. What are your tubes.....have you checked inside of tyre for spikes or splinters?

I bike long tyme.
    Quote Originally Posted by chinaman
    nice ride ncig ...

just another thought ... if you change the rear shock mounting position, you are changing the leverage ratio and so for a coil shock you will effectively need a different spring to maintain the same sag ... i think i am right ... hopefully ...
    I would agree. I had a first generation Foes FXR that had adjustable travel in the rear. I would have to go up a spring rate to keep the sag dialed.

wyrd bi ful rd
    Quote Originally Posted by lornibear
    Chinaman, I am glad you know what you are talking about...........as you have just baffled me!
    LOL ...

wyrd bi ful rd
    Quote Originally Posted by ncig
    ... chinaman ... Where do you have yours set at ... Any help with tires? ...
    i am using the second mounting position from the top ... for my coil shock and i have tried the second position from the bottom for my air shock ... will keep to my coil for awhile for now and swap over to the air shock after awhile ...

20080825 rear shock mounting position MTBR FORUM.jpg

i am using michelin mountain dry 2 (2.3") and with the shock mounting on the top position, and at full compression, the tyre comes really close to the top tube for my comfort ... less than 5mm ... but i have to admit that in the 1 year that i have used the tyre ... (touch wood: i know i am going to regret saying this) ... i have not had any punctures ... and i do roll over thorns, roots and stumps and rocks ... but i do not go below 35psi ...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    ryates have checked nothing i am getting pinch flats which is wierd

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    So, ncig, if this is so close in weight to your FR, why go for an AM? I'm interested as I'm planning on going for an AM to compliment my CC. It'll replace my Nomad, which actually had that bit of extra travel making it closer to the FR.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Well I really thought it was going to be lighter then it came in at. I was wrong. Like I said before if you are going to huck and drop 5+ feet go with the FR if you want faster handling and and a spec lighter go AM you will not go wrong either way.

mtbr member
    Nice looking bike ncig. I like the red and black scheme but white forks don't do it for me. They do seem to be very popular though. If you're having problems with the Nobby Nics I'd change the rear to something with a heavier sidewall like the Big Betty. I've been really impressed with them on my FR and will probably stick with them for everything except downhill days. Tyre choice is always a hot discussion point but I personally think that the NN is too light a tyre for a bike of this caliber and 35 -40 psi to me seems like overkill. That's xc hard tail pressures.

Castron BTT Crew
    Jan 2006
    Nice and high-class bike! Don`t like so much the Mini's, but I'm 94 Kg.

For messing up a little bit more with the tyres, I usually run wire High Rollers 2.35 (supertacky front, maxxpro rear) converted to tubeless with a mix of latex and water, mounted on my SX wheels.
    I do not recommend to make home-made tubeless in no-UST rims or in regular kevlar tyres, BTW. The faultess combination for me to "USTizing" is wire tyre and UST rim.

For all condition riding, the HRs are perfect to me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Maybe the new Fat Albert from Schwalbe could be interesting for you as well. Different tread pattern for front and rear, available in 2.4 and 2.25 and different versions (tubeless, double-defense).

mtbr member
    Yup, the Fat Alberts are good also. I used the older 2.35 version on my hard tail for a while and didn't suffer any punctures.

'All over it!'
    There is an interesting post on the new Fat Albert 2.4 on the wheels and tyres forum:

UST Fat Albert 2.4- anyone else using them?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Thanks for the link! Haven't read any impressions of the new FA's so far.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks for all the advice going to try some other avenues and see what I come up with.
    Last edited by ncig; 09-23-2008 at 09:12 AM.

mtbr member

Chumba Xcl ?????

Quote Originally Posted by Secace
    Very nice!!
    Rear suspension design looks almost identical to a Chumba XCL....or vice versa.
    Ya OK,,Nicolai just like Chumba sure bro what ever you say... .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast