Thread: am owners

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

am owners

please tell me what your last bike was and how your AM is better

thanks Lee

steep fast and loose :)
    the AM is not better than any, different yes, more suited to the trails i ride, yes.
    the AM's strengths are it's ability to climb, and rather direct steering, although it is hampered by shock set up and pedal strike.
    i'll buy a Turner RFX next time. nicolai uk customer service is appaling.
    my CCDB equipped 6 Pack is a bigger hitting bike in every way but can't climb like the AM
    Last edited by The_Lecht_Rocks; 01-31-2009 at 01:00 AM.

oh - the Nicolai has nicer fish-scale welds too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    thinking coil shock,in what way is it problematic?

bottom bracket is low on the medium and smaller sizes.
    coil shock will provide better control in the mid-stroke (unusual that the frame is designed around an air shock but provides no controllability through leverage rate) , but consequent to the low BB height, it is good on smooth trails and bermed corners.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    ah rock gardens etc are my bag,I'll be on a large with 36 floats
    I like stuff like the beast in the peaks

well i live in NE Scotland and we have similar trails , with bigger rock.
    i ride a large and am going to a CCDB from a Monarch as the Monarch has f00k all control mmid stroke and i'm decking out the pedals everywhere
    bear in mind i also ride a Hummer and a Ti456 (hardtails) thereby riding with sympathy, yet the AM is so prone to strike, it's becoming frustrating. the shock should help.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    so you've not tried it with the coil yet?
    when will you?my yeti 575{08}was like that,the rp23 blew through travel so easily yet i couldn't get full travel,its kinda what put me off air shocks,i know i could get one pushed but would rather just get a coil as my heckler feels great with a coil,was looking at an intense tracer aswell but by all accounts that blows through travel with the rp23 on and no options for another shock

i have tried a DHX coil, which was good. better than the Monarch but worse than the RP23 !
    i'll try the CCDB tomorrow - running moree sag and more LSC to see if that helps.
    i bought the AM as my LT Enduro machine, specifically strong but light(er) ... however, the air shock design seems bullsh1t at the moment.....until PUSH bring out a kit for the Monarch or I buy an RP23 + PUSH kit !!!

mtbr member
    lee p
    the issues simons having is not with the frame. I've ridden the Am and Fr with quite a few shocks now. Roco Tstr coil, DHX4, CCDB, RP23 and Monarch. I've not made up my mind on them all yet as I need more saddle time(despite getting in 11 rides in the last 14 days!).

They all have their strengths and weaknesses when comparing them back to back but simon sems to be the only one having issues. He's borrowing my ccdb this weekend so i'll maybe try his monarch to see if it's an issue specific to his shock.

the BB is not low in the slightest for an AM bike.

it's not low @ 14" , for sure, but there is an issue with the Monarch being incapable of dealing with the leverage rate and riding requirements anywhere near gnarly trail.
    dipper - don't forget your trails in Foch are smooth compared to the rock fests i have here (pitfichie for eg.).......

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I was thinking of getting a pushed dhx 5 for it so would be interested in your thoughts dipper,I don't really like fiddling tbh so the ccdb puts me off a bit,I also don't really seem to notice small changes
    I fancy this bike as i notice flex quite easily and by all accounts this fame is solid,where will I be able to get a test on one?I'm based near Manchester?

test mine if you want to travel to some real riding country, with a selection of shocks too
    the CCDB once dialled in needs little fiddlement, and it will at least terach you a bit about set up and capability in performance - gotta be a good thing ?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    might take you up on that as I'm going to try to get in a Scotland trip before I emmigrate,never been and I suppose I should

too bloody right.
    doo glentress, kirroughtree, pitfichie, fochabers and golspie, then laggan and fort bill before heading back to manc-land

mtbr member
    go for it lee. I've got a couple of FR's here and sure I could round up a couple of AM's if I ask nicely!

If you're not a fiddler and dn't notice small changes then I wouldn't worry too much about the shock. Most top end shocks work well these days. I would say I'm leaning towards coil myself but the weight saving of air cans is significant and they still perform well(better in some situations).

mtbr member
    tlr you sure have done an about face on your am. your opinion of it has seemed to change quite a bit from your original impressions. how much of this is bitterness over lack of customer service vs. real honest evaluation. it seems you are having shock troubles, would a different shock change your opinion. i realize customer service on a bike this expensive pays a huge role in your overall satisfaction, but you are now saying that your turner is just as good as the am. don't get me wrong, i own a turner 5 pack, but i am dissapointed that they went away from a horst link to the tnt. i've yet to try a dw turner but you seem to be letting your bitterness cloud any objectivity on the am. am i wrong?
    Last edited by qbert2000; 01-31-2009 at 08:08 AM.

from 0 - sideways 3.2 sec
    Its a great frame imho and build quality is great i think a simple trashing of that monarch would solve alot as my rp23 dosent seem to be as badly effected and with the push kit job done. I too have been annoyed by CS but sh1t happens....
    Visit - www.gravity-sports.co.uk - Exclusive high end MTB Products

qbert - perhaps, but my Pack is Horst link too
    i've edited the original post, as the AM is not worse than the Pack, just different....
    the pedal strike issue is a major issue however.....and the customer service is disapointing considering the market where the frame aims at - high end boutique.
    however , I'm a DID sufferer, so none of this really applier

mtbr member

theres more to it than that qbert. Simon suffers from DID(multiple personality disorder). He's got a different opinion for every day of the week. Unfortunately due to the memory loss associated with DID he is unaware of this. It's a shame really. I try and help as much as i can but there's only so much I can do..... Fortunately for me this means he goes through bike bits like most folk go through underwear!

i just said that ! ? !

mtbr member
    WTF!!! what happened there? surely my post was first?

mtbr member
    hey tlr if you want to get rid of it, let me know.

from 0 - sideways 3.2 sec
    LOL - I do recall a statement on todays ride of "Perfect" but dont worry i'll keep that to myself
    Visit - www.gravity-sports.co.uk - Exclusive high end MTB Products

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    why all the issues with customer service?have you all been breaking them,I expect to not need to know anybody in the customer service dept

LOL - You'll get to know them if they're suplying a shock

Derekr's correct - It's definitely dialling in now on the CCDB. I need to run more compression and preload up front on the TALAS and I've slapped a bigger volume Big Betty up front to raise the BB a wee bit more. without the front diving on G-Outs, there's less likelihood of the BB dropping in height and the resulting pedal strike.........Hopefully

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Lecht_Rocks
    LOL - You'll get to know them if they're suplying a shock

Derekr's correct - It's definitely dialling in now on the CCDB. I need to run more compression and preload up front on the TALAS and I've slapped a bigger volume Big Betty up front to raise the BB a wee bit more. without the front diving on G-Outs, there's less likelihood of the BB dropping in height and the resulting pedal strike.........Hopefully
    TLR - Great to hear that you could well have it sorted with the CCDB... I got my CCDB set correctly on my FR and have never touched it since..... It is the ducks nuts.....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Whafey - I'm not suggesting the CCDB has yet improved the pedal strike issue - I think increased preload in the fork will help with a taller tyre.
    the CCDB however has offered the AM a full remit of plush, controlled travel. scarily so TBH.
    i've emailed Malcolm for some advice

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Lecht_Rocks
    Whafey - I'm not suggesting the CCDB has yet improved the pedal strike issue - I think increased preload in the fork will help with a taller tyre.
    the CCDB however has offered the AM a full remit of plush, controlled travel. scarily so TBH.
    i've emailed Malcolm for some advice
    Good call, to be honest I forgot the Pedal Strike issue....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    hey tlr, off topic but how is the 456 ti? i am thinking of getting one and was interested in what you think of it. how is it set up? fork, parts etc. thanks

qbert - i've PM'd you

Members who have read this thread: 0