mtbr member
    Mar 2010

AM frame and AFR rear triangle

I'm about to get a new Nicolai AM frame (26"), possibly with an AFR rear triangle. What are the impressions of Nicolai AM/AFR owners? Any recommendations?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Then you'll basically get the good old Helius FR, that was exactly using the same Tubeset as the Helius AFR with the Fat chainstays plus a stronger downtube. This results in maybe 300 Gramms more weight.
    If you do a lot of high drops and park action this might be the way to go. But I had the FR last year and switched to tha AM since the FR was way overbuilt for me.

It will be a tank of an AM for sure!

mtbr member
    I think you'd be as well just getting an afr. I've got all 3 here. Am, fr and afr. You'd be surprised how similar they all are. One of the things I really like about the afr is the offset seat tube. The riding position is in the right place but put the seat down and it moves forward and well out of the way.

The afr is on 180mm forks and the other 2 are on 170mm. Ha's are all identical(measured scientifically by lining them in front of each other and eyeballing the fork legs). Fr and am have the same bb height(I could have sworn the fr's was higher). The afr's is @ 5mm lower. Seat tube on the fr is slacker than the am so needs the saddle a bit further forward for climbing.

Am weighs 35lb, fr 34 and afr 36

All of the above are available for sale as well
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

flash bikes for flash gits

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hmpoliveira View Post
    I'm about to get a new Nicolai AM frame (26"), possibly with an AFR rear triangle. What are the impressions of Nicolai AM/AFR owners? Any recommendations?
    Why out of interest?
    www.essexhertsmtb.co.uk - Mountain Biking near London in the UK

"Its All Good"
    AM Front Tri, AFR Rear.......

Here you go, in adult sized wheels

The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Whafe, what are, for you, the main benefits of having the AFR rear? What about climbing?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dipper View Post
    I think you'd be as well just getting an afr. I've got all 3 here. Am, fr and afr. You'd be surprised how similar they all are. One of the things I really like about the afr is the offset seat tube. The riding position is in the right place but put the seat down and it moves forward and well out of the way.

The afr is on 180mm forks and the other 2 are on 170mm. Ha's are all identical(measured scientifically by lining them in front of each other and eyeballing the fork legs). Fr and am have the same bb height(I could have sworn the fr's was higher). The afr's is @ 5mm lower. Seat tube on the fr is slacker than the am so needs the saddle a bit further forward for climbing.

Am weighs 35lb, fr 34 and afr 36

All of the above are available for sale as well
    AM will be more suitable for my riding... I was just wondering about the benefits of having a AFR rear!?

mtbr member

Listen!

Quote Originally Posted by Whafe View Post
    AM Front Tri, AFR Rear.......

Here you go, in adult sized wheels

Whafe. That's not technically an afr rear. Looks like AM chain stays. Front tri is afr style
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

"Its All Good"
    It is great for climbing.

The AFR rear allows my adult sized wheels to get more travel.

Dipper,it is an AFR rear built with AM tubing.

Me love it though, great bike. You will all mature to a 29er at some stage

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using Tapatalk
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    What benefits are you looking for. I don't see what your trying to achieve

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I was just wondering what an AFR rear could bring to the AM frame since there quite some people using it.

mtbr member
    Whafe. Not meaning to be pedantic but what's 'afr' about the rear? Looks standard am to me(albeit in 29er form). The front however is very obviously afr in style.
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by dipper View Post
    Whafe. Not meaning to be pedantic but what's 'afr' about the rear? Looks standard am to me(albeit in 29er form). The front however is very obviously afr in style.
    No, good call, pedantic is all good. I was meaning the area of above the cranks, or the front der tower area... This enable the rear stays to be longer, but a slacker seat tube. I feel this is something that really gives the AM29er an advantage in all things 29ers... Shorter chainstays and more travel = whole lotta great riding....

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I was just wondering what an AFR rear could bring to the AM frame since there quite some people using it.

Well tbh not much, the longer chainstays means you can have more travel/clearance before your tire hits the seattube. Whafes is the only am that I know uses it, though that does not mean that they do not exist. He only uses it to gain more clearance to run a funny size wheel

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Well tbh not much, the longer chainstays means you can have more travel/clearance before your tire hits the seattube. Whafes is the only am that I know uses it, though that does not mean that they do not exist. He only uses it to gain more clearance to run a funny size wheel.

What is more common is running an afr down tube on an am which means you can run longer forks

mtbr member
    ah i see whafe! just crossed wires then.

hmpoliveira
    as per ian, i dont know of anyone(on here anyway!) running the setup whafe has and again he only needs it to run big travel with 29" wheels.

do you mean the offset ST of the AFR or do you mean an AFR rear as in the beefier chainstays from?
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk