mtbr member
    Aug 2008

AM fork options...?

Am about to strip the Nomad for ebay, and clean out the attic to fund another Nic - an AM! Anyway, I have a brand new Lyrik 2008 2 Step Air sitting in the box in my shed, and the question is, should I keep it and see how it goes of ebay it and use the proceeds towards another fork for the AM build?

Have had big problems with my first 2 Step air - an 07 that keep loosing travel, despite being back to SRAM a number of times. In the end they just sent me a new one some months back. Seeing as I was thinking of selling the Nomad, I never fitted it, but looking forward to a new build, do I want to stick with it and see how it goes reliability-wise. It is actually a nice fork when it works, and I've not read too much about how reliable the '08 version is. To be honest, I'm thinking of going for the coil u-turn. Any thoughts?

Nick
    Last edited by NICK-O-LAI; 08-25-2008 at 06:09 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Nick, DT Swiss EXC 150 with 20mm b/t (1690g) or Fox Float 36RC2 08? That would be
    my shortlist. Good luck with build and keep us posted.

"Its All Good"
    I hear good things re the RS Lyric... Shame that the issues with the 2 Step etc caused so many problems.....

I am absolutely loving my 08 Fox 36 Talas, it is a great fork. I hear that the 09 Talas's are even better....

One that I really like and have ridden a buddies, not a great deal, but got a great feel for was the Magura Wotan, a very under rated fork, lets say an unknown quantity, but it gets some great reviews in magazines etc....

Not from any personal experience, but from the vast amount of negatives etc, I would avoid Marz like the plague.....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    The wotan is not very developped fork because it has a lot of problems ! A friend of mine has got one and has to open it every day so that it works normaly ! He tuned it with rock shox pieces to work better, but he can't change it because he is sponsored by magura!
    The fox 2009 with improved hydraulic as compared to the 2008 or a lyric solo air would be perfect for the AM !
    Never enough singletracks !

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks guys. Currently have 2 paris of Magura's running at the moment - they are very nice forks, and I'd consider the big Wotans, although they are the heaviest of the bunch I think. Am tempted to go back to Fox, as a mate has the 08' TALAS on his Nomad and also rates them highly, although he just spend out 350 on new stanchions and other work after running them into the ground after about 9 months. Will have to be adjustable though, and I think a 160, so that's rule out the DT (nice looking fork though).

Shall keep you up to date on this project - hopefully get the Nomad stripped, cleaned and on ebay by next weekend. Then another Nic order will be going in

"Its All Good"
    Sam - What year Wotan has your buddy got? Sounds like a problem child that fork...

Nick - I think you will be very happy with an 09 Talas, my 08 is a great fork, in Whistler rode with 2 buddies whom were sporting 09 Talas's, they upgraded from their 08's, and they said they are slightly better again... The travel adjust knob is better for sure..... I had never run a Fox fork till the Talas (got a Fox 40 at the same time) I have been well impressed with them...

Mmmm that feeling of the Nicolai order going in is a gooden feeling for sure.....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Nick, what's the colour going to be? If I was buying one I would go for raw/red levers now that I've seen Whafes. I wonder if they could shot peen? That would be cool too!

"Its All Good"
    yeah, sheesh choosing the colour is the hardest part......

The raw is sick, you may say I am biased, but in the flesh it is the ducks nuts....

mtbr member
    I don't know which one it is, an air one for sure of 2008 ! I can only see one model on magura website !
    Anyway, the 2009 fox seems the best if you need travel adjsut !
    For the colour, it's always the hardest thing when you buy a nicolai !

mtbr member
    oups bug

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Also had big problems with the Wotan's - ended up with swapping for Thors to go on a different bike. DT forks not in the same league (too XC) based on experience of Pace's. Have some Lyric Coils and very good.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Lyrik coils or 36's I think is what it'll come down to...

Now, as you say, the real decision is the colour! At the moment I am thinking black ano with red accents, i.e. red ano bearing caps and linkages with red decals. I love my CC red powdercoat and black ano rear- I think Nic do the best paint finishes I've seen - so a powder coat colour is indeed very tempting. But, the ano will surely preserve the welds and CNC machining detail a treat. Naked is nice, and I have seen a couple of Intense frames in my LBS this way, but I like the black and red combination.

Whafe, as you say, it is a great feeling to get a new order in. Heaven knows, I've ordered a few bikes over these last few years (as the wife will attest to!), and sold a few to boot (and snapped at least one..). Anyway, got to find a new Nic dealer now my local one went under a couple of months ago (iBike - RIP ). I think Head for the Hills will be my closest now, but looking around here, sounds like they seem to be a good place to deal with, so shouldn't be an issue.

Nick

wyrd bi ful rd
    i have been using my lyrik coils for 1 year now and have not have any problems ... i set mine stiff on low and high speed compression and it works well ... tracks well over small undulations/climbs and handles drops ... but i have only tried them on small drops

steep fast and loose :)
    nick - i'd suggest it depends on what shock you propose to use.
    CCDB - Van 36 RC2.
    RP23 or Monarch 4.2 - Float 36 RC2.
    Slap on a pair of 2.4" AM tyres and you're good to go