Thread: AM 1x10

mtbr member
    May 2008

AM 1x10

Im toying with the idea of trying a 1x10 on my AM

It'll be potentially happening on an XX crankset

It'll either be 34t or 36t (probably 34t)

These guys do the rings to fit the inner BCD
    http://www.homebrewedcomponents.com/...m-xx-cranksets

Anyone have any idea if I would have any issues with chainstay clearance please?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Can't comment on the clearance issue but I run my AM 1x9 and run 32t front and 11-34t rear.

If anything, what I really need is a lower gear not a higher one; 32x34 gets me up most things but anything long and steep has me off and pushing. A fitter rider would be better off, but I still think that by the end of a long ride, even a fitter rider would be better off spinning a lower gear than 32x34.

Interestingly, even though I've ridden the AM at a number of DH venues around the UK and in the Alps, I've never been undergeared on 32x11. My reasoning is that if I've spun out on that gear then it's because I'm on a smooth fire road or tarmac, at which point there's very little challenge or joy in going faster. On even remotely technical terrain, I never need anything higher than 32x11.

If you're racing competitively in the Senior/Expert/Elite DH category, then maybe you're good enough to need a bigger gear over technical terrain, but beneath this, I am pretty sure (not 100%) that 32x11 would be more than enough for the majority of riders.

My ideal set up would be 32t front and 11-36 rear; that I think would get me up everything quite happily.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thankyou for the info, not racing on her but when im out with me mate he does like to do a lot of fast flowing single track,

i think what ill do is email HBC and get some radius measurements for different sizes (which could potentially pre-empt some discussion in my head) if things look good; @ $40 a pop for the aluminium rings i could get a couple of sizes sent through and see how i fair, start with the 32t and step up if i looks like i might get some use out of a bigger ring

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Used 1x9 on a few trail bikes,usually used a 32-34 front and a 11-34 rear,never had any problems climbing,ran out of gears a few times on long descents or roads.
    I think a 1x10 running 34 and 11-36 would be very good and would cover nearly all my riding.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    My setop is exactly like Getee's, 32*11-32,

I think 32 is the best choice for regular trail riding, as said when you outpedal 32*11 your probably on some booring fireroad anyway.

I would love a 10-38 cassette though just in case

Also, All chainrings with the same number of teeth should have the same radius, so just measure.

mtbr member
    I'm running a 22 front Hammerschmidt, I think I could do away with the overdrive rather than the 22... very rarely use the overdrive where I ride most of the time in the winter... I have thought about trying a 1 x 9 through the winter with a 24 on the front to start with. Yes it will spin out on the doonhall but I will be able to still do the long techy climbs.

But I will almost certainly not bother.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mikael_nr1
    Also, All chainrings with the same number of teeth should have the same radius, so just measure.
    Thankyou

Some dodgy maths and a plastic ruler later looks like difference between the 26t (thats on there at the mo) and a 34t ring would be 17mm, giving me about 3-4mm spare, need to decide whether me heart and lungs are ready or play it safer and go with the 32t

Quote Originally Posted by mikael_nr1
    I would love a 10-38 cassette though just in case
    Have you seen the new Hope 9-36 cassette?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by wpuk
    Thankyou

Have you seen the new Hope 9-36 cassette?
    Yepp and I love the concept, although there is nothing that can separate me from my I9 rear hub Best freaking part on the bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Drop the XX crank or any 2x10 crank for that matter for a single front ring, use a triple crank so your chainline will be better (the rings on a 2x10 are each offset a bit from the center, whereas the centre ring on a triple is bang in the middle for the best chainline).