ppp
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004

AFR vs UFO ST please help

I currently have an AFR and am looking for a more DH oriented but flickable shuttle bike.
    I know some of you had both, and many have extended experience with the UFO, i would like to know how they compare or how does the UFO rides.
    Am planning a trip to the Alps.
    Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

Distributor
    UFO is not in the model range for 2012
    Simon Still
    Momentum Distribution
    www.nicolai-uk.com

ppp
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolai-uk View Post
    UFO is not in the model range for 2012
    I know. Still, i found a deal on a used one and would like to know...

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    What is the geo on your AFR? There have been multiple versions plus some have a 1.5 HT. Mine was an absolute DH slayer but was setup extra slack, and I ran a shorter shock (8.5x2.5). Curious to hear how yours is setup.

Also, the AFR is very neutral under braking and with it's high BB, feels a little tall in the corners. The UFO-ST has a bit of squat under braking that helps it drop into a turn better. However, the AFR hooks up better when you actually need to slow down quickly. Lots of little differences between the two. Personally, I really liked the AFR as a bike park/mini-DH bike once I had it tweaked.

ppp
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Err View Post
    What is the geo on your AFR? There have been multiple versions plus some have a 1.5 HT. Mine was an absolute DH slayer but was setup extra slack, and I ran a shorter shock (8.5x2.5). Curious to hear how yours is setup.

Also, the AFR is very neutral under braking and with it's high BB, feels a little tall in the corners. The UFO-ST has a bit of squat under braking that helps it drop into a turn better. However, the AFR hooks up better when you actually need to slow down quickly. Lots of little differences between the two. Personally, I really liked the AFR as a bike park/mini-DH bike once I had it tweaked.
    Mine is the latest version, with 66 deg HA i guess, size L. It has 1 1/8 HT and i run a 180 BOS fork and a RC4 8.75x2.75 shock. Though, after reading all the incarnations of your AFR, i have been really tempted to try a 8.5x2.5 dhx air...

However, since i have a trip the Alps planned, and having a deal on a UFO ST frame, i wonder if the UFO would be a better tool for the job...

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    I'd throw an 8.5x2.5 shock of your choosing on there. That'll drop your BB a bit an slack ya out to 65.5. Stick with coil for the serious DH/bike park stuff. Run an air if you want to prioritize climbing as you'll able to throw the pro-pedal lever. I recently rode a 2012 DHX-A on a different frame for a good romp. It was the best I'd felt, still not certain it was a big step up from an RP for general trail riding or as good a coil for DH. Vivid-Air is the bees knees when it's working but reliability is terrible (currently waiting on yet another warranty shock).

My take is that the AFR is better all around than the UFO and will not hold you back one bit on the DH once configured. Some have really liked the UFO though, certainly not a bad bike. I loved how my old UFO-DS squatted under braking, man you could make that thing rail some corners with just a tap of the rear brake.

EDIT - For air, I ran a low tune RP23 (2011) on mine but I think a med tune would have been better. The low was fine but it still wanted to blow through the travel just a bit, not terrible, but if I were buying one now, I'd try a med tune.

ppp
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Err View Post
    I'd throw an 8.5x2.5 shock of your choosing on there. That'll drop your BB a bit an slack ya out to 65.5. Stick with coil for the serious DH/bike park stuff. Run an air if you want to prioritize climbing as you'll able to throw the pro-pedal lever. I recently rode a 2012 DHX-A on a different frame for a good romp. It was the best I'd felt, still not certain it was a big step up from an RP for general trail riding or as good a coil for DH. Vivid-Air is the bees knees when it's working but reliability is terrible (currently waiting on yet another warranty shock).

My take is that the AFR is better all around than the UFO and will not hold you back one bit on the DH once configured. Some have really liked the UFO though, certainly not a bad bike. I loved how my old UFO-DS squatted under braking, man you could make that thing rail some corners with just a tap of the rear brake.

EDIT - For air, I ran a low tune RP23 (2011) on mine but I think a med tune would have been better. The low was fine but it still wanted to blow through the travel just a bit, not terrible, but if I were buying one now, I'd try a med tune.
    Many thanks Err!
    I guess i'll throw a 8.5x2.5 and see how it goes. The "will not hold you back one bit on the DH" was what i was trying to know In the first place Again, many thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    My vote for the AFR.......why? 4 bar linkage,that`s all!