mtbr member
    Jul 2006

AFR as a custom option only

On the Nicolai website there is a statement that indicates the AFR is only available as a custom option. Why is this?

mtbr member
    First I've heard. I hope not.

The afr is a stunning bike. Just came back from fortwilliam with mine today(+ a couple of mates on nics, one on another AFR and a TFR). All 3 of us have ridden full on DH bikes down there and reckoned we were just as quick on the AFR's. Pretty impressive considering a few days before we were doing 3 hour trail rides on the same bikes!
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

flash bikes for flash gits

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I'd love one, or more acurately, I'd love to have the opportunity to use one regularly. At which point I would probably not have needed to sell the Ion, although the AFR would be far more versatile than the Ion.

"Its All Good"
    Get the best of both worlds, get a AM / AFR 29er, pure beast. About time you lads moved on from kids wheels to adults wheels
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe View Post
    Get the best of both worlds, get a AM / AFR 29er, pure beast. About time you lads moved on from kids wheels to adults wheels
    i'm not discounting the idea. it would be perfect for my lanky side kick. By the way your old TFR escaped any damage after a monster stack at fortbill yesterday. the front tyre blew off the rim on the steepest, rockiest section of the track and and jammed itself in the fork sending my lanky mate clean over the bars. fortunately he was armoured to the teeth so no big damage
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by dipper View Post
    i'm not discounting the idea. it would be perfect for my lanky side kick. By the way your old TFR escaped any damage after a monster stack at fortbill yesterday. the front tyre blew off the rim on the steepest, rockiest section of the track and and jammed itself in the fork sending my lanky mate clean over the bars. fortunately he was armoured to the teeth so no big damage
    Hood to hear the TFR survived, along with your lanky buddy. All good.

Go the Adults wheels bikes.
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Nicolai
    Well then does any one has a good comparison ride bwteen the Ion and the AFR? would be intersting to know?

Distributor
    Suspect this has something to do with the ION 18 that's appeared on the order generator (which someone else noticed).
    Simon Still
    Momentum Distribution
    www.nicolai-uk.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolai-uk View Post
    Suspect this has something to do with the ION 18 that's appeared on the order generator (which someone else noticed).
    ooohh! whats that then? i saw it mentioned elsewhere but figured it was an updated ion and never paid much attention. hope its as versatile as the AFR
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by http://attitudebikes.wordpress.com/2011/03/21/taipei-show-part-1-nicolai/
    There was a special bike being displayed at the show that has been recently requested by both Timac and Nicolai 4x Racing Team and deleveloped by Nicolai. Named Ion-14, it will be going though some slight revision as its said to be over build at this moment. Nicolai is also considering making this frame into a production model to replace UFO DS. And also possibly the Helius AFR as ION-18. Which means this could well be a new 4x , slope-style bike but till real time information is release on the production model we will only have these photos for you now!
    http://attitudebikes.wordpress.com/2...art-1-nicolai/
    www.essexhertsmtb.co.uk - Mountain Biking near London in the UK

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Yes I remember reading about that now. I know they've been talking about building a slightly longer Ion14 to be used as a play bike/slop style bike. It will be interesting to see how versatile and adaptable it turns out to be compared to the AFR.

There seem to be two camps on the AFR - those like Dipper who use them equally or primarily for trail rides but also for riding DH courses and those who seem to build them up as 'freeride' bikes, much more focused on DH like Err.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by geetee1972 View Post
    Yes I remember reading about that now. I know they've been talking about building a slightly longer Ion14 to be used as a play bike/slop style bike. It will be interesting to see how versatile and adaptable it turns out to be compared to the AFR.

There seem to be two camps on the AFR - those like Dipper who use them equally or primarily for trail rides but also for riding DH courses and those who seem to build them up as 'freeride' bikes, much more focused on DH like Err.
    the best thing about the AFR for me is that its better than I am without being too extreme. The limits are mine so i'm confident when i want to step out my comfort zone that the bike can do it. An AM will be a better trail bike as it can be built lighter and a DH bike may be better at pure DH but a lot of the trails we ride have both. Big climbs, big descents. On saying that, there's not much that we ride that cant be tackled on my AC29er The 2 bikes complement each other well. I've done the DH bike and the racing snake bike and neither got used much as they were too extreme for most of what i do. the AFR and AC29er fall in the middle ground and get used lots.

Long live the AFR
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    The AFR is def a cool rig that gets it done big time. I'd like to see lower standover and I think that's the point of the linkage configuration on the ION-14. If they adopted that linkage to the AFR and named it the ION-18, I could see some value in that. A slight weight reduction might not be a bad thing either.

I just tore down my AFR again last night, the wifey had been using it for a bit but it was just too close in weight to her full DH sled, even with some very light parts. I may put it back together for myself for a bit. It certainly does excel if you enjoy a long ride with a few road gaps thrown in. Mine has spent most of its time in 150 mm mode (with short shock) since last fall and has done quite a few 4-5 hour rides.

"Its All Good"
    Come Eurobike all will be revealed on what we are seeing on the order generator...

Spoke with Kalle & Vincent on this, that was the word, Wait till Eurobike....

Yeah ha though....

You should all progress to adult wheels and build an AM/AFR 29er, pure weapon

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Well, I keep looking at the ac 29er, but i love my am enough not to justify another full sus trail bike. however do want a shorter travel light weight dh bike, something along the lines of around 26lbs, 160rear and 180 up front

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe View Post
    Come Eurobike all will be revealed on what we are seeing on the order generator...

Spoke with Kalle & Vincent on this, that was the word, Wait till Eurobike....

Yeah ha though....

You should all progress to adult wheels and build an AM/AFR 29er, pure weapon
    Guess the all-new post-AFR "Ion 18" may show some conceptual similarities with the CUBE "Hanzz" that was unveilled at Eurobike 2010 (linkage design, Horst-link, seat tube), just with a NICOLAI specific looks :