mtbr member
    May 2006

AFR with a AVALANCHE WOODY

Just thought I would post a review on the avalanche rear shock since there hasn't been much said about them. We have tried a lot of different rear shocks on the AFR RockShock Vivid Air CCDB Elka5 and all where very good but there wasn't wow facter there. I haven't tried any of the Bos stuff just cant make a connection with them but hearing everything that you guys have said about them I'm sure there excellent. So we called Greg at avalanche and gave him all the spec of the AFR he went on the Nicolai web page
    And look at the ratio and called me back and wanted to know what type of ridding etc . The most important question he ask me is what travel setting the bike would be in which I thought no one has ever ask that question before so I said why do you want that for and he told me he could not build a shock for three different travel settings which really made me think this is going to be a real special shock.

So here is the ride report we install it on the frame and fits great set the sag to 35% and off I go the bike pedals really nice so I head to some technical climbing. What I notice with the shock is that it really locks up well with keeping wheel planted to ground and it like the shock pushes you forward doesn't lock you into the rocks it like having a giro to the bike got up things I haven't got up in a while. It is very responsive but not to the point it sucks up all you power. So we head over to some rock gardens same thing shock just floats over everything and doesn't suck out you energy and pushes you through.

Know the descents the shock really shined here very plush and responsive eat up everything thrown at it and keeps rear end in controlled in every speed. The shock gives you a lot of confidence when your at high speeds going down never feels out of control.

Summary has I said all the other shocks are great. But this shock is like buying a custom
    suit it fit perfect and is tailored made for bike and rider. The best thing is it can be sent back to be revalved or adjusted so if you change your mind you don't have to buy another shock

"El Whatever"
    Avy's get little love over here. I have a friend who has one and loves it.

I used to see price as a "con", but Avy's prices are actually in line with other tuners or high end shocks.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I can see that being a US company the price point is right in line 599.00 and that is cheaper then some other ones and where the euro is so strong it would be cheaper in Europe .

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    ncig, interesting feedback....just helps reinforce the point that tuned to the suspension shocks are the way to go. What travel setting is the shock set for? It would be really interesting to compare the Avy with a Stoy.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I was going to get the stoy but they just wouldn't get back to me it is in the 185 second hole from bottom

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Had a DHS for a while.Well made and very well engineered.
    Might get it back,and send it to Craig to set it for the FR.Would look sweet.
    I have a 600ish x 2.25 ti spring for an AVY.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    that the great thing about them they can be revalved

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    ncig, for BOS suggest trying Roger at

http://www.r53engineering.com/index.php/contact

mtbr member
    Not sure why avalanche is not bigger over here. Possibly because they're custom built in the US. Lead times would be pretty long I'd imagine. I've also no idea who The importer is so lack of advertising may be part of the problem.
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

flash bikes for flash gits

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Dipper lead time is a week and not sure who dealer is
    In Europe but can always go right to avy I have talk
    To Roger but he also didn't have what I needed
    And it been 3 weeks . I will try him again would really
    Like to see tba comparison between the two .
    The only other issue is the exchange rate but i

Will have to deal with it.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Sounds very encouraging on the Avy. Lots of good press for those guys lately, they seem to be producing a great product.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    To date it has been the best shock that's we have put on the AFR

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ncig
    To date it has been the best shock that's we have put on the AFR
    Come on guys get on a 29er hardtail already will ya? Whafe help me out here.... ........All kidding aside if ncig says it's great than it's GREAT!!! CF....

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY FRED
    Come on guys get on a 29er hardtail already will ya? Whafe help me out here.... ........All kidding aside if ncig says it's great than it's GREAT!!! CF....
    Ordered already!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ianpinder
    Ordered already!
    What did you order? .CF.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY FRED
    What did you order? .CF.
    Argon CC 29er, should be here in a couple of months.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ianpinder
    Argon CC 29er, should be here in a couple of months.....
    Huuuuummmmm yummie..what fork Lefty? 120? 140? Can't wait to see her......CF.