Thread: Afr - again!

Err
    Calm like a bomb

Afr - again!

Not content with just 5 versions of my AFR, I went back to the drawing board again recently. I have a separate thread on the first 5 versions here. This time around, I decided to refine the V5 build and it's easily my favorite version yet.

Updates:
    '10 Float 36 RC2 160 to '11 Lyrik SoloAir RC2DH 170
    Elixr CR brakes to Formula The Ones
    X0 9spd shifter to X0 10spd shifter
    XTR 11-34 9spd cassette to XX 11-36 10spd cassette
    PC991 hollow pin chain to KMX X10-SL
    32t Chainring to 34t Chainring
    E13 LG1+ to Straitline Silent Guide
    Twenty6 Rally Ti pedals to Twenty6 Prerunner chromo (new generation)
    Chromag Fubars OSX bars to Easton Havoc carbon
    Black ESI grips to Red ESI grips

So, basically, a 10 speed swap and a fork upgrade with a few misc cosmetic touches. New weight is 32.0 lbs where it was closer to 32.5. The extra 10 mm of travel in the fork helps the BB height a bit and the RC2DH damper is tits. I've had a bit more time to find the sweet spot on the RP23 and it really seems to get along with this frame nicely for the trails I ride the most. I'm curious about a Pushed Monarch Plus but not ready to throw down the $$ just yet. Thinking maybe Easton Haven Carbon wheels and SIXC cranks shortly, that ought to have me sitting at 30.5 lbs!

Couple poser shots with the updates -

And a couple action shots from last night's ride -

This bike continues to be a riot! That was 3200' climbed and descended in the course of that session. Not bad for a Monday night effort and few bikes handle that kind of vert in both directions quite as well.

a tight kick sound
    I'm tired on my road bike climbing 2000' in one session...

Very nice set-up Tony!

mtbr member
    Did @ 2250' of climbing(mind you at least 500 of that was with the bike on my back!) on the afr on Thursday night and agree theres few 180mm+ bikes that can handle that so well. Heres hoping the ion18 keeps this ability
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

flash bikes for flash gits

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Took this rig to WP for some lift served this past weekend. The new build was great on the jump runs and even handled sections of Trestle DH with no worries. Until I toasted my rear wheel... Oh well, new hoops on the way along with a few other refinements.

Can't wait to get a sneak peek at that ION-18.