mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Upset AC weight !??!?!

I just got my Helius AC in S size but noticed that weighs 2,8 Kg (about 200 gm more then the M size as described on Nicolai's website). Any similar experiences??

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Is that with or without the shock.And have you any options that would add weight?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by norcosam
    Is that with or without the shock.And have you any options that would add weight?
    There is no shock and no options.
    ... only an S size Helius AC

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    the color is anodized?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 20lt
    the color is anodized?

Yes, is black anodized and top rear triangle in white. Is that heavier???

Drink...sleep
    Paint is heaver than anodized, but I doubt just a painted rear triangle would add over 200g in weight over a non-painted one. Seems weight on the website just is a bit off.

mtbr member
    Are there holes in the chain stays? As perhaps the weights were done when the original AC came out which had holes in the chain stays like the AM?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Yes, indeed. It has 2 holes in the chain stays! I don't see the point. The S size should be lighter then a M size...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Or maybe your scales are out by 7.6%?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by geetee1972
    Or maybe your scales are out by 7.6%?

That I have no idea... I have ordered a normal S size Helius AC... they say that due to the fact that the frame is hand made, it can happen.... but it should not happen, I think!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I can understand it must be disappointing to find that it weighs something other than you anticipated. But I'd also take comfort from the fact that weighing scales are often inaccurate and to be out by 7.6% would not be at all unlikely.
    The best way to decide how you feel about it is to build the bike up and see where you get to with the weight then. 200g is basically one mid weight inner tube, so in the grand scheme of your bike build, it won't count for very much.
    And besides, you've got a fabulously made bike that you are going to love once it's built up. It will happily weigh 28lbs or less without too much strain on the wallet and it will track like a cuise missle. Get some pics up and let us see it once you're done.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    A friend of mine rides a small Nomad. I used to have a large. Same build more or less. His weighed a ton more than mine (carpark lifting test, no scales). Never did figure out why, but made no odds to his enjoyment of the ride.

I must say, putting a frame on the scales wouldn't be the first thing I would think to do when I got it out the box. As Geetee says, you will doubtless be stoked when it is built up. BTW, I have an AC frame waiting to build - I won't be weighing it either!

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks for your supoport guys!!!

But indeed... I just love this frame!! Still waiting ofr building up the wheels
    Photos are coming soon!