Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    steep fast and loose :)

AC & Pedal Strike - Afflicted ?

sorry, but is the AC afflicted with pedal strike like the AM ?

The AC has a reported lower BB height..

TIA

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Lecht_Rocks
    sorry, but is the AC afflicted with pedal strike like the AM ?

The AC has a reported lower BB height..

TIA

Surely this is completely dependant on crank size?

Distributor
    Not in my experience. The BB is noticeably lower than the CC on which I'd done most of my riding immediately before which resulted in a bit of pedal strike on the first few rides - I took a chunk out of a new pedal first time out at Afan. However, either I was running the shock a bit soft or I adapted my riding style and it's not been a problem since.

You're the engineer - work it out. Remember that the stated BB height is unweighted. My rough calculation is below assuming 150mm travel front and rear on the AC and 170mm on the AM with 30% sag and that the travel is vertical at both ends (not quite accurate)- the effective 'sagged' BB height is about the same on both bikes.

AC 11mm Sag = 45mm Effective BB height = -34mm
    AM 17.5mm Sag = 51mm Effective BB height = -33mm

It's the effective ride height that's actually important rather than the figure on the chart - if your run your bike with short forks (either shorter A-C or lots of sag) or super sagged rear (which might depend on the model of shock and how you have it set up) your effective BB height will be lower.

I'm really bored with your endless carping on this. You're the *only* rider who considers this to be an issue on the AM - everyone else has either not found it a problem or adapted their riding style around the advantages a low BB brings. If you don't like low BB's don't buy a bike with one. I don't believe your frame is different to anyone else's and you should be able to see if it's really significantly different just by looking at it - is the BB above or below the pedal axles?
    Simon Still
    Momentum Distribution
    www.nicolai-uk.com

will check the static BB location later and report back.

for ref, there's a few of us on this forum that suffer pedal strike, albeit, acknowledged that it can mostly be ridden around

no need to get shirty or defensive

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I can only remember 1 other person.

Distributor
    no need to get shirty or defensive
    It's just a bit boring - 82 posts mentioning pedal strike by you in this forum alone -
    http://forums.mtbr.com/search.php?se...10365237&pp=50
    Simon Still
    Momentum Distribution
    www.nicolai-uk.com

it's the nicolai forum.

i chose the forum to detail issues with my nicolai.

sorry if that's controversial, but a forum offers an audience to discuss issues.

as i said, no need to get defensive or attribute personal retribution

mtbr member
    Set your AM in a lower travel setting. You keep saying you don't need 160mm so why run your shock in the 160 setting? It'll help no end with your pedal strike! An AC is not the bike for you IMO
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

flash bikes for flash gits

mtbr member
    May 2006
    We have sold a bunch of AC and are riding area is rocky and technical and we have
    not had any problems with pedal strike. Bike setup is crucial on any bike to prevent pedal
    strike!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I will admit i have hit my cranks and pedals a few times in the Many hundreds of miles i have put on my AC.All were my fault,The BB is in my opinion perfect on the AC for the type of bike it is.
    I like a reasonably low BB as it improves handling and cornering.

my bike is always in the 2nd hole down dipper. blows your theory.

mtbr member
    How's that? There's 4 holes! Didn't you 'calculate' the top hole as 171mm? That makes the 2nd hole 160ish. no?
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Second hole down is I think 157mm but we're really splitting hairs now.

I think TLR has admitted that his pedal strike problem is now much better right Simon? I think if you drop to the third hole down you'll find it goes altogether but you'll need a lighter spring.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Some people just like attention and to moan, hows that for a theory.......

mtbr member
    Really bored of this. Tlr I often enjoy your banter and stirring but banging on about a non issue strikes me as being a little well..... Special.
    I can understand Nic uk getting shirty. Please remember many more people read this forum than post, and your unnecessary criticism only serves to make Simons job harder when dealing with the misinformed general public.

mtbr member
    Have you seen the bos thread? Nearly 18000 views and it's littered with "French tat" nonsense! How many potential buyers that don't know the score are put off buying bos by the sheer amount of negativity from someone who hasn't even ridden them? It's not just on here either. The suspension thread and stw also get spammed with it! It helps no one.

Maybe he's hoping for a bit of self fulfilling prophecy!
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

mtbr member
    May 2008
    ftw i think he's a dick as well, just cant be arsed to write it in a nice prose

so.

i suffered incredible amounts of pedal strike and asked for assistance / feedback / potential fixes for over 2 years.

i received one from STENDEC on a custom tuned CCDB.

my AM and my local terrain obviously didn't mix too well.

sorry for being a dick.

i now know where i stand. in the shadow of your collective superiority.

mtbr member
    Don't apologise for what you are Get out on your AM, mash those trails and revel in the Nics awesome handling, stiffness and tracking.
    Unbelievable weather in the midlands today! So looking forwards to the summer riding

mtbr member
    so.

i suffered incredible amounts of pedal strike and asked for assistance / feedback / potential fixes for over 2 years.

sorry for being a dick.

And yet you're still on the same pedals as 2 years ago(Easton flat boys on original pins and a pair of xt spd's? Plenty lads that don't suffer from pedal strike go through more pedals than that in 2 years! I've no doubt you get pedal strike but fail to see why it's such a big deal. Having ridden loads of your local trails in the last few weeks on both the afr and ac29er I agree It can be very rocky so some pedal strikes a given.

How's the vf2 for pedal strikes?
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

mtbr member
    May 2008
    so.

sorry for being a dick.

Your not a dick for having your pedal strike/riding issue, your not a dick for asking for assistance/feedback, your a dick for the childlike spoilt brat way in which you trample over other members threads in a tangential, xenophobic obsessively pedantic manner

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dipper
    And yet you're still on the same pedals as 2 years ago(Easton flat boys on original pins and a pair of xt spd's? Plenty lads that don't suffer from pedal strike go through more pedals than that in 2 years! I've no doubt you get pedal strike but fail to see why it's such a big deal. Having ridden loads of your local trails in the last few weeks on both the afr and ac29er I agree It can be very rocky so some pedal strikes a given.

Good job you wasnt using Crank brothers Pedals,you would need to carry a couple of spare sets with you.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dipper

TLR, try some thinner pedals? Point one, Spank and Nukeproof might be worth considering?

"El Whatever"
    I haven't ridden the AM but so far, no pedal strike issues with my AC, neither with a "low" Pike of 520mm A2C, neither with my Revelation 150mm. I'll put a Nixon 160mm and see how it goes.

I don't have a pale idea of the BB height on an AM, but my AC with the Revelation gives me (off the top of my head) 13.75"... maybe 13.5" but I seem to recall the BB height was the same as my Switchblade and I'm dead sure that was 13.75". That is a with a Larsen 2.35" rear, the Revelation (specc'ed fork by Nicolai @ 527mmA2C) and an Ardent 2.25" up front.

I'm running Shimano 647's and I can't stand anything smaller than 175mm cranks.

The only times I stroke a pedal to ground were one climb when I was riding the Pike at 110mm travel and it was really rocky and once that I was running more sag than needed on the Monarch.

Actually, I think the Monarch finally bed in and I'm blowing through the travel a bit too easy and I'll have to correct that, especially because the Monarch rides deeper in dynamic sag than a Fox even when you run the FG in.

A coil over had sweeter mid-stroke than the Monarch with the large can, so listen to the Fathership boys when they say a standard can is better.

OTOH, a trailbike like this, with a BB that is 11mm above the wheels axles, you don't need a degree in vehicle dynamics to figure out that it will hardly pedal-strike unless you really jack up the shock set-up.

Bikes like the Giant Reign and the Spesh Enduro have lower BB's, have same travel and it's actually regarded as a good quality. Go figure... to each his own, I guess.

Besides, why would you want an AC, TLR???
    It's heavy, it doesn't have any carbon and costs like three times more than almost anything out there, and being a Nicolai, it must pedal strike.

You know you want that Mojo SL... you'll love it.

Gratuitous pic of a bike you don't really want...

Last edited by Warp; 04-09-2011 at 10:24 AM.
    Check my Site

still think an AC on RLT Ti's and a decent shock could make good replacement AM sense.

the VF2 however is SUBLIME.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast