Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AC 29er built

mtbr member

AC 29er built

finally got it finished.

weighing in at 31lb dead. thats inc some fairly heavy gear. current spec is:

medium frame with conehead, 12mm rear and iscg tabs
    hope hubs, flows and ardent 2.4's running tubeless
    fox float 29ers
    monarch shock
    xtr crans, XO shifters and mech
    i900 post and sdg saddle
    race face atlas stem
    sunline V1 bars
    Acros headset
    XTR brakes with hope rotors
    easton flatboy pedals
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AC 29er built-29er.jpg  

AC 29er built-ac29er.jpg  

www.gravity-sports.co.uk

flash bikes for flash gits

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Very nice.
    Are you riding it today?
    What colour is it?

steep fast and loose :)
    did you get the bushes for the shock ?????????? !!!!! ??????????

mtbr member
    Won't be riding today unfortunately. Sunny and dry as well

Frames grey but no idea what grey! Colour I specced wasn't a nicolai colour so i just asked them to pick the closest.

Tlr - Bushes were waiting when I got back after our ride out yesterday. Yer frames ready by the way.
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

@dipper - did you get toe-over lap on the AC 29'er ?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I didn't like the colour when I saw the frame only. As a complete bike it looks nice, especially with the white fork and seatstays. Only thing I don't like are the shiny Nicolai stickers.

i dont like the colour either.

one thing that struck me about the frame was the apparent "closeness" of the wheelbase and the potential for toe overlap.

of course, i haven't yet had a shot of the bike, but hope to get a demo in later on this week.......as long as the weather remains cold and dry....

looking forward to dippers initial ride report

mtbr member
    Nice bike, but where's the heavy bits?

mtbr member
    Toe overlap? Is this 29er equivalent of pedal strike?

Heavy bits are the bars, pedals, stem, seatpost and wheels. For trail riding it's not an issue but I've a couple of endurance events planned with it so I'll ditch those in favor of lighter stuff. 28-29lb should bs easy enough

Colour is plain in comparison to my afr. I like it though. Pics give it a funny green tinge but it's more like aircraft grey in the flesh. Chrome decals rock!
    Last edited by dipper; 01-30-2011 at 11:05 AM.
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

mtbr member
    Very nice indeed ) Have you ridden it in anger yet? How does it perform?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mugtree
    Very nice indeed ) Have you ridden it in anger yet? How does it perform?
    Not in anger no. Road it down the road and it felt like a dogs dinner to be honest! nearly fell off just turning it around in the road! I guess it'll take a few miles to adapt to the bigger wheels. Should get some miles in this week and will report back.
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by dipper
    Not in anger no. Road it down the road and it felt like a dogs dinner to be honest! nearly fell off just turning it around in the road! I guess it'll take a few miles to adapt to the bigger wheels. Should get some miles in this week and will report back.

Ha ha.Wheres Whafe

i only sat on it in the shop and i suffered toe-overlap,,,,,,,,,,,,, LOL

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Do you want me to make some stabilisers using 24" wheels

"Its All Good"
    FOCK - Lets all just knock the ***** out of this bike without even really riding it...

It will take some time to adapt, I make no bones about that... I will say I can swap between my AC 29er and the FR easy now, at first it was odd...

TLR - as I posted earlier on another thread, no toe overlap issue for me...

Colour combo looks good in my view. Colour looks similar to my DJ Nic... Sweet...

Well I look forward to hearing how you all get on with the wagon wheels....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

"Its All Good"
    I just whipped out to the garage and sat on mine, no toe overlap at all possible, was some 10 - 12mm of length from the front of my foot to the closest part of the tyre......
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Forgive me Dipper but in that top photo it looks like the sun is shining.

Have you relocated?

mtbr member

TLR on the phone to Dipper, trying to understand why he has toe-overlap........

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Geniuine LOL

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by rpm100
    TLR on the phone to Dipper, trying to understand why he has toe-overlap........

Post of the century for me.... BEAUTIFUL

that clown looks better and dresses better than me.

FAIL !

mtbr member
    Now that's funny

Christened the 29er today. Not sure what to say about it to be honest. It's no where near as alien as I expected but without some decent reference points I'm struggling to put it into context. I've mainly been riding AM/FR type bikes for a few years now so the steeper geo of the ac will take a bit of getting used to. However, some early observations

-It pedals great. As per all helius models
    -No issues with toe overlap. Never even crossed my mind
    -Turning is very fast which i didn't expect. Nearly crashed on a few occasions when I turned too quickly and
    lost the front. A steady hand is required
    -it's comfy but not exactly 'racy'. Could do with dropping the bars another 1/2" but I'm already running a 0deg stem and flat bars robbed from the afr.
    -The new xtr brakes have way too much initial bite. Too savage IMO. Need more modulation
    -i missed not having the hammesrschmidt. Front rings are rubbish in comparison
    -rolls well. Predictably
    -29ers don't chuck mud in your face. Seriously, not a drop! Same ride 2 days ago on the far and I couldn't see for mud on my glasses!
    -it's no where near as hard to lift the front as i expected
    -can't see the 26" ac being better at its intended purpose but I'd need to ride one first to see.

All in all i think it's going to be good. Possibly very good If I can get used to the speed of turn(didn't think I'd say that about a 29er!). It's comfy and I can see it being excellent at
    long days and all round good old fashioned mountain biking. Should compliment the AFR very well.
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

mtbr member
    Quick turning - that'll be the HA i'd imagine

Quote Originally Posted by steve_b77
    Quick turning - that'll be the HA i'd imagine
    perhaps the HA has been sharpened deliberately to offset and disguise the 29" wagon wheel effect

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    funny thing that toe overlap has been subject of discussion, that can actually be a problem when riding a 29er.

I ride flats, and when I had a 29er I frequently suffered from toe overlap, actually to the extent that it made me sell the bike. Of course this is just a function of geometry.

Quote Originally Posted by mikael_nr1
    funny thing that toe overlap has been subject of discussion, that can actually be a problem when riding a 29er.

I ride flats, and when I had a 29er I frequently suffered from toe overlap, actually to the extent that it made me sell the bike. Of course this is just a function of geometry.

i swung a leg over dipper's AC 29'r on Saturday and the first thing i noticed was the toe / wheel over-lap........................

he reports otherwise of course..................

mtbr member
    I ride flats also but as you say, the geo has a big effect on that also.

I really need to ride it back to back with a standard ac for comparison. Sold a few but never ridden one yet!
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Lecht_Rocks
    i swung a leg over dipper's AC 29'r on Saturday and the first thing i noticed was the toe / wheel over-lap........................

he reports otherwise of course..................
    You sat on it with the pedals horizontal and in the middle of your foot. Then turned the bars till it hit your foot!

I on the other hand rode the b****y thing and had no issue! On exactly the same run we did on Saturday which had a fair bit of tight turns.

Same deal as I've been spouting all through the Bos thread. Ride it before making
    opinions!

Speaking of Saturdays ride, got any preconceived AFR opinions you'd like to take back?
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

"Its All Good"
    Some interesting initial thoughts dipper....

As I have said many times, it will take a little time to get used to it. In the beginning if I swapped from the AC29er to the FR, I felt really off balance, odd in the air etc etc.... Now it is easy to swap back and forth.... I guess it is like clipless pedals when a newbie starts using them, it is really odd, then it becomes second nature...

mikael - the toe overlap you suffered on the 29er you sold, seems odd, what was the goe of the frame... As I said above, I sat on mine yesterday with jandles on and could not get any toe-over lap, even with my pedals in the arch / middle of my foot... Real test is on the trail, never even had any issue... I have had on the Jones 29er though, only when in real real tight trackstand turns once or twice...

TLR - Would it be fair to say, by nature you will ride this bike with the mindset that you will not like it and it will not be as good as a 26 inch AC?

It will be more enjoyable to go at it with an open mind....

from 0 - sideways 3.2 sec
    That looks bloody awesome dipper, much nicer than i expected! Colours work really well and are a nice change from the usual.

Intersting reading your thoughts on it, not so interesting reading others thoughts
    Visit - www.gravity-sports.co.uk - Exclusive high end MTB Products

from 0 - sideways 3.2 sec
    PS. conehead tube looks very good! prob. nicer than the 1.5 as it dosent look as out of proportion when running reduced forks.
    Visit - www.gravity-sports.co.uk - Exclusive high end MTB Products

Quote Originally Posted by Whafe

TLR - Would it be fair to say, by nature you will ride this bike with the mindset that you will not like it and it will not be as good as a 26 inch AC?

It will be more enjoyable to go at it with an open mind....
    i hereby sincerely promise to ride it with an open mind.....

i want to like it as i'm keen to see what the band-wagon [wheel] is all about, but dipper reckons it's a live with thing before he'll know.

i may only get a couple of hours on it...

"Its All Good"
    i hereby sincerely promise to ride it with an open mind.....
    Great to hear, be an interesting few hours on a bike then....

Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    Great to hear, be an interesting few hours on a bike then....

hopefully on friday if mary poppins get's his finger out............

mtbr member
    hopefully on friday if mary poppins get's his finger out............
    Erm....did the mountain come to Mohamed?
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

Erm....did the mountain come to Mohamed?

i may make the trip north if you'll prepare my lunch on arrival............

and you are King of Cliche..................

mtbr member
    i may make the trip north if you'll prepare my lunch on arrival............
    Nor did the mountain make mohamad his denner!
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

mtbr member
    Had an excellent ride on the 29er today. Really starting to get to grips with it. It's good. Possibly very good but without trying the standard AC I've got no reference points so cant say one way or another which I prefer.

I was expecting quite a marked difference going to the big wheels but I cant say it's that big a deal. Neither the pros or the cons I've read about are that pronounced. It's different but not by so much that it's a marmite bike. It goes up, it comes down and it goes round and round and does it all very well.

Set up compared to a 26er is proving to be different. First off is tyre pressures. I run exactly the same wheels on my afr(albeit smaller!) and on those I run 22ish psi according to Joe Blow. I started with this on the AC but was way too hard(and was the main cause of me always loosing the front!). I gradually dropped the pressures during the ride and checked the result with Joe Blow and they were less than 15psi. I plan on dropping a bit more as well. Even at such low pressures the tyres don't look soft when riding.

The other oddity is how it affects the suspension. Rear in particular. I started with 30% sag on the rear(monarch 4.2) for no other reason than it felt about right. However, even taking in some drops and jumps(nowt daft!) it still wasn't using more than maybe 70% travel. It felt like it was using more but the o-ring doesn't lie

Now I just need a certain forum member to get his finger out and pick a colour and I'll be able to try it alongside a 'normal' AC!
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

i may well be a 29'r convert prior to any 26'r selection, but i'll reserve judgement until i've had a shottie [assuming it's me you're referring to]....?

shame the weather's turned - tomorrow would've been perfect...

any pedal strike ? toe-overlap ?

how controlled is the suspension action - does the rear feel super lively or numb and heavily damped ?

any idea what the leverage rate / curve is on the AC 29'r ?

mtbr member
    No I wasnt talking about you! You've been talking about an ac for 2 years. Maybe by the time you get round to it nicolai will be making zimmers!
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

zimmer may struggle with toe-overlap and ankle strike though - the bane of Nicolai

"Its All Good"
    dipper - Interesting comment re the rear suspension. That sums up what most have said when they have thrown a leg over mine. You feel you are using up all the suspension, but in actual fact you are not. I run more sag that 30%.

I bet you are really annoyed at how slow a 29er gets up to speed... LOL..... Thats the main question people comment to me about, never had such a problem, it is BS in my mind... Oh and be real careful on the tight techy stuff... PPfffttttttt

mtbr member
    Whafe- I'll probably do the same with the rear shock. Drop it a bit more and see how I get on

All the negatives I've heard about are pretty much non existent. On the positives though it is very stable, fast rolling and feels like it has more travel than it has. It's definitely not a niche product and deserves it's place in mountain biking.

What weight is yours whafe?
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

"Its All Good"
    Whafe- I'll probably do the same with the rear shock. Drop it a bit more and see how I get on

All the negatives I've heard about are pretty much non existent. On the positives though it is very stable, fast rolling and feels like it has more travel than it has. It's definitely not a niche product and deserves it's place in mountain biking.

What weight is yours whafe?
    Just weighed the Orange Crusher, 29.69 lbs. It is for sure not a weight weenies build, 12mm rear axle, 20mm front axle etc etc...

Beautiful: "It's definitely not a niche product and deserves it's place in mountain biking"

mtbr member
    i see a trend developing. every time i ride the 29er i'm more and more impressed. Had its first real challange today as i was out with a mate on his AM. we hit a technical rocky section and for the first time in a long time he was in my way! it's usually hard enough to keep with him down here on the AFR but the AC just cruised over the rocks. Conditions werent great and the slightly slower speeds maybe played into the hands of the Ac but still, i was impressed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AC 29er built-29erbin.jpg  

www.gravity-sports.co.uk

"Its All Good"
    i see a trend developing. every time i ride the 29er i'm more and more impressed. Had its first real challange today as i was out with a mate on his AM. we hit a technical rocky section and for the first time in a long time he was in my way! it's usually hard enough to keep with him down here on the AFR but the AC just cruised over the rocks. Conditions werent great and the slightly slower speeds maybe played into the hands of the Ac but still, i was impressed
    Sweet to hear, you know you are helping me realize that I am not crazy

It takes some time to feel totally at ease to fully let the AC 29er go on DH sections, but you will be rewarded for sure....

I am going to have a go with the arm tomorrow morning, will ride the AC 29er, thought about putting the new Enve wheels on the AC, but will wait for the new bike...

Off to see Nitro Circus tonight, should be a laugh..

interesting conversation with Dipper about the wagon-wheeler.....

looking forward to giving it a proper shot sometime next week....

sounds like a proper XC Jey trail bike, which is exactly where i'm at......

mtbr member
    Not sure I'd call it an 'xc jey trail bike'. It certainly could be with a lighter wheel set. As it is with the 2.4 ardents and flows it can take a proper hammering. The wheel set is heavier than my afr wheels(as it's the same set up but bigger) so it's no flying machine going up. It is very efficient though.

I'll be building up a set of crests with lighter tyres when I get a chance. I suspect it doesn't actually need such a big set of tyres for general trail riding. They do feel very good though.
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast