Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    steep fast and loose :)
    Reputation: The_Lecht_Rocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,271

    AC 29er 140mm now a production model

    with a 68 deg HA apparently...

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    881
    Yeah, I think on the back of the customs that have been made, I think there are four I know of now.

    68 is very much an all mountain head angle which I would say is appropriate to an all-round 140mm 29er. Its a bit more wandery on climbs than the standard bike, but still fine, similarly in tight stuff, it requires more body english particularly to change direction.

    I don't now whether they'll keep the BB area like mine/Cyril's (AFR stylee) or tidy it up and maybe lighten an Ion style one, we will have to wait and see..
    Aka chainline...

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: qbert2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,222
    but they had the geometry and design so "spot on".

    strange they went from a spot on 72 degrees to 68. what could they be thinking?!?

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Lecht_Rocks View Post
    Unless you ride one, you'll not appreciate how spot on Nicolai have engineered this frame set

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,406
    Quote Originally Posted by qbert2000 View Post
    but they had the geometry and design so "spot on".

    strange they went from a spot on 72 degrees to 68. what could they be thinking?!?
    The geo is spot on for a 120mm xc bike(remember this is an AC not an AM 29er). The 'new' model speculated above is a different animal. 140+ rear and slacker. To my knowledge 68deg is not a given but would be a good guess.

    I have both the old and new. I'd still take the old for all day epics as it builds lighter and is a grea bike in its own right. The new model with the 140 fork is a bit heavier and while it'll do all dayers with ease it's a more hardcore tool than the original.

    Horses for courses. Not everyone needs/wants 140mm and 68deg ha's from their 29er.
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

    flash bikes for flash gits

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: qbert2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,222
    Quote Originally Posted by dipper View Post
    The geo is spot on for a 120mm xc bike(remember this is an AC not an AM 29er). The 'new' model speculated above is a different animal. 140+ rear and slacker. To my knowledge 68deg is not a given but would be a good guess.

    I have both the old and new. I'd still take the old for all day epics as it builds lighter and is a grea bike in its own right. The new model with the 140 fork is a bit heavier and while it'll do all dayers with ease it's a more hardcore tool than the original.

    Horses for courses. Not everyone needs/wants 140mm and 68deg ha's from their 29er.
    just taking the pi$$ out of the op.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,406
    Fair enough
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

    flash bikes for flash gits

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    881
    Ha, and I was about to chime in, given I've also used both and own one.

    I'd have no quibbles at all about using the std AC for XC duties and pretty much any descent in the UK bar a DH track.

    Mine is a different animal, requires riding in a different way, I personally prefer that, but that's me. I'm really rather liking the 66.9deg mine is at at the moment but its not as good an all rounder as when it I had it steeper.

    I'll probably put it back to 68 for most of the time with the 140's on it
    Aka chainline...

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: qbert2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,222
    Quote Originally Posted by the_pilot View Post
    Ha, and I was about to chime in, given I've also used both and own one.

    I'd have no quibbles at all about using the std AC for XC duties and pretty much any descent in the UK bar a DH track.

    Mine is a different animal, requires riding in a different way, I personally prefer that, but that's me. I'm really rather liking the 66.9deg mine is at at the moment but its not as good an all rounder as when it I had it steeper.

    I'll probably put it back to 68 for most of the time with the 140's on it
    your's has custom geometry then?

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    881
    Yes, very much so, I changed almost everything. Mine is very similar to Cyril's, actually not quite as slack inherently but I wanted mine for everything from 50-60mile per day multi-day races (Lightweight 120mm fork, 120mm rear travel) to Enduro racing in Italy (Fox 34 140mm fork, 147mm rear travel) so it is designed around both 120 and 140 forks and to have an angleset as I wasn't sure what head angle I would prefer.

    Dipper has one too very close to mine, custom geometry.
    Aka chainline...

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: qbert2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    3,222
    Quote Originally Posted by the_pilot View Post
    Yes, very much so, I changed almost everything. Mine is very similar to Cyril's, actually not quite as slack inherently but I wanted mine for everything from 50-60mile per day multi-day races (Lightweight 120mm fork, 120mm rear travel) to Enduro racing in Italy (Fox 34 140mm fork, 147mm rear travel) so it is designed around both 120 and 140 forks and to have an angleset as I wasn't sure what head angle I would prefer.

    Dipper has one too very close to mine, custom geometry.
    that's the best thing about nicolai, custom geometry. most of their off the shelf stuff doesn't appeal to me, but the ability to tweak it to your desired ride is a great option

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    647
    Yes, for the 140mm 29er it is going to have a AFR style bb. They can not get the clearence otherwise.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,406
    Quote Originally Posted by ianpinder View Post
    Yes, for the 140mm 29er it is going to have a AFR style bb. They can not get the clearence otherwise.
    They should be able to get the clearance with an ion style bb which is far tidier than the fr stub
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

    flash bikes for flash gits

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    647
    Quote Originally Posted by dipper View Post
    They should be able to get the clearance with an ion style bb which is far tidier than the fr stub
    Dipper, just quoting an email I got about my custom 29er

    'Please take a look at the attached drawing. I had to move the seattube 25mm foreward (like the old AFR style).
    We will include this feature into all our 29" frame for 2013 because only with this change we can realise 140mm of rear wheel travel.'

  14. #14
    "Its All Good"
    Reputation: Whafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    10,716
    Taking into account I own both

    I can't copmpare them, they are both different tools for different jobs... I am with dipper, for an all day epic ride, would take the 72 HA AC, and for play and more play, would take the longer travel 68 HA AM type...

    The AFR style rear is needed due to getting the longer travel whilst keeping the reat chainstay as short as possible...

    I have my doubts that the progress forward in longer travel 29ers will continue to happen. All the effort will go into the 650b platform Of which is more driven by bike companies, not joe public (just my opinion)

    In saying that, the bike I ride most is the AM 29er.... I lifted the stancions on the fork some 20mm over the weekend, so it has slackened it a little more... Not much time on it, due to breaking spokes over a jump... Hummmmmm
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    881
    Oh no, the ENVE's are not totally bullet proof :-O

    Or you have it set up like mine with an angleset and compromise inherent head angle.

    Mine is 69deg with a 120mm fork and almost 2lb lighter in xc trim, just switch tyres and fork (10 mins) or 67.9deg with the 140mm fork. Both with the angleset on min 0.5 slack. spin it round and you have 70deg with the 120mm. The frame is only 150g heavier than the std bike. Travel is between 120mm and 147mm at the back.

    I'm running it at approx 67deg for gravity/play/jump oriented but 68 for normal.

    So for me it does all of those jobs. All the kit on it is light but strong (If unfortunately fairly expensive) with no compromises, I use 1x10 for everything now. XX1 would make that even easier but unless CK bring out a new freehub, I wont change the hub for the extra on the back, just MTFU. I could lose another 1lb for xc by changing the wheels i.e using lighter hubs, but don't feel its necessary.

    It runs at 28lb set up 140mm with 2.4 Ardents tyres 1x10
    26.5lb with a 120mm German:A fork and 2.25 Ardents/2.0 muds [I don't have the German:A fork yet. They are awaiting the tapered steerer version in]
    Aka chainline...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •