Thread: 650b TB?

Axe
    Custom User Title

650b TB?

Da interwebz provided a rumor that a Helius TB can be had in size Small with 650b compatibility, without the custom geometry upcharge. But I would need a Medium.

Thinking about replacing my 120mm Rotwild with 120mm frame that is lighter and 27.5" wheeled. TB would have been perfect. Otherwise Turner Flux? Not sure bout Santa Cruz Solo.

Any truth to that rumour, somebody here knows?

yet another stupid german
    PM sent...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Answer is yes. TB will be 650b in small and 29 in other sizes. Really in accordance with intended use, XC trail is very suited to 29. I rode the 29 prototype, its really nice, a good head angle, light. If you could get a demo on a TB 29? O do you want 650b wheels?
    Aka chainline...

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by the_pilot View Post
    Answer is yes. TB will be 650b in small and 29 in other sizes. Really in accordance with intended use, XC trail is very suited to 29. I rode the 29 prototype, its really nice, a good head angle, light. If you could get a demo on a TB 29? O do you want 650b wheels?
    Yes, I wanted 650b for all my future full suspension bikes. Mostly because it seems to be the standard going on, and would rather have a bit more travel and lighter weight. At M size should be a better fit too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    It will be 29 in a med size I understand not 650b and travel is the same.
    Aka chainline...

Axe
    Custom User Title

Re: 650b TB?

It will be 29 in a med size I understand not 650b and travel is the same.
    Bummer. Do they keep 26 version?
    Last edited by Axe; 08-06-2013 at 05:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Only in custom, I think. For 120mm 29" is more appropriate.
    Aka chainline...

Axe
    Custom User Title

650b TB?

For 120mm 29" is more appropriate.
    I disagree. For example, even for a hardtail, last year world cup was won on M sized 650b frame. ...I guess Turner Flux or Ventana Alpino it would be.

..as I see it, I would not come to Nicolai for a weight weenie race bike... Some plastic 100mm travel frame would be a more logical choice. And it seems 650b will be the main standard going forward. (Still would not convert my Helius AM though..)
    Last edited by Axe; 08-09-2013 at 02:46 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    XC is a short race. At 120mm trail bike, you are looking at bike to ride a long way on with minimum fatigue, good stable handling that is forgiving on the last descent of the day but still handles really well, you get more of that from a 29 wheel than 650b.

650b is only the 'way forward' because the suppliers (not the bike frame manufaturers) decide to force a sales push because 26" bike sales had flat lined. I really is only slightly bigger than a 26" wheel. Otherwise why did it never take off before. It's been around for years and years. 29er is harder to package in a long travel bike, that's where most of the big profit is.

Because suppliers are dropping all their high end 26" forks/tyres manufacturers are effectively forced into changing.

It's worked. Middle aged mtb riders who are buying all the high end bikes have got worried about resale and their bikes being obsolete, it's got nothing to do with how they ride and they have stopped buying 26" bikes, in the mass market anyway.

The Enduro World Series guys all have access to the latest 650b bikes. Most of them are riding 26" still. Nico Voullioz said on certain courses its worth 1sec every 3km of descent... for a multi world champion....

At 120mm if You rode a good 29 and a good 650b back to back over the me course you would be faster and less tired on the 29, I would be willing to bet on it ;-)

However, you should buy what you want a and just enjoy it. I think the bike world has got much too worried about wheel size and not enough about fit and geometry and suspension performance!
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    My thoughts on all this new stuff after being away from the sport for 12 years is...how much does it really matter to all the folks that just ride for fun and fitness. Don't we represent the biggest number of riders? I realize we are influenced by the pros and that is a proving ground for new stuff, but most of us just wanna have fun on the trails with buds and stay fit. The wheel sizes all roll forward. I hope we continue to have choices but really...although I rode a 29'r and it didn't feel right to me, I could get used to it and have fun riding trails and staying fit. I saw no reason to change when I bought the new bike.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    At 120mm if You rode a good 29 and a good 650b back to back over the me course you would be faster and less tired on the 29, I would be willing to bet on it ;-)
    No. I do not like handling of fs 29r in my size, and I have been test riding them since they come out and owned a hardtail in 29. I am not faster, not less tired, they weight more, and 650b is a better compromise. If people can win World Cup XC races on such wheels, it is good enough for everybody. And I am mostly about having fun, not going fast, since I am not fast at all (but enjoy 8+ hr endurance races for fun)

Good point about fit. That is exactly what I am after. 29 with big tires and forks are pigs - I can't get low enough in front without stupid cockpit setups, often have toe overlap problems, standover is bad (long torso/short legs at 174cm overall).

By all indications 650b will be THE standard going on. Fine with me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Axe you are 3cm shorter than me! I ride a 150mm 29er with plenty of standover and its not even low standover by may suppliers standards, I also have short legs and 29ers have changed alot. I'm not trying to convince you, you ride what you want. I can't deny its harder to get a low front, if that's what you want, my 29 at 150mm has the same front as the 180mm Ion18 or about the same as a 170mm Ion16, but that makes it easier to lift and if anything adds to the fun descending. The chain stays on my 29 are only 10mm longer than a similar 650b (and others are shorter) and the wheelbase the same as the slacker 650b. Such alot depends on what you call fun and how you ride.

So it looks like Liteville are proposing a size specific fit....24"/26" wheels for smaller people, 26"/27.5" wheels for mid size people and 27.5"/29" for larger people...maybe thats the right thing to do! Not for me but...
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    im all for 650b however im also for 26 and 29. my concern with the sudden push from some manufacturers is that its being done, not because 650b is better but because its easier and therefore cheaper to churn out one wheel size like they've been doing forever with 26 and 650b being in between the 2 extremes will suit more customers.

i suspect we're going to see a lot of hype and marketing BS from here on in, all pushing 650b.
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

flash bikes for flash gits