Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    "Its All Good"

2013 Nicolai Model Update Thus Far

Many changes coming for the 2013 model line up......

More will be revealed for sure....

Seems none of us have yet seen the elusive ION 16.

Argon AM
    Frank Schneider has proven that an Argon AM is fast, aggressive and capable of
    winning. In Master Class at Megavalanche race in AlpeD'huez he became first and
    this is something special. The Argon AM, Gates Carbondrive ready, optimized for
    150mm forks and a pleasant AllMountain geometry, leaves beside the Zero Stack
    head tube and the new 12mm Thruaxle dropout no wishes unfulfilled.
    A carefree Bike for the growing Trail Center community and epic alpine tours.

Helius TB
    The Helius TB is the successor to the RC Helius.
    A trail bike par excellence.
    Travel 120-130mm, progressive kinematic flat steering angle, Zero Stack head tube
    are the key features of these very easy to be accelerated Trail Center-weapon.

Helius AC 26 "2013
    We have modified the geometry of the Helius AC completely
    Optimized for 160mm trail forks, fitted with a newly designed shock rocker (150 and
    140mm) and with much DNA of the Helius AM
    An all-mountain / enduro bike for everyone who is looking for a swiss army knife
    This can be both, your Everyday funride and your enduro race bike.

Helius AC 650b 2013

Although currently the choice of wheels and tires is limited, we decided for this
    intermediate size between 29 and 26 inches.
    The reason? Simple ... a rather small person looks a little bit lost on a 29er. A trail
    bike with a lot of fun potential when running downhill and comfortable seated position
    uphill.

Helius AC 29 "2013
    Also in 29er AC we have set the pen again.
    We can not and do not want to compete with the carbon sub 8kg bombers which start
    peeing themself in front of the next curbside.
    The decision to make our 29er so handy and downhill orientated as possible was just
    logical. The result is a comfortable bike you can climb easyily and beeing even faster
    down the hill.

ION 16 2013

The coronation of the 2013er model range
    New and advanced technologies paired with a complete new formal language.
    The Tapered Zero Stack head tube ensures a low front and maximeses the traction
    on the front wheel
    Reverb Stealth cable routing for a clean look and secured cable routing
    Redesign all bearing locations, load-optimized bearings with additional sealing
    elements maintenance-free and protected against corrosion.
    142x12 rear with mounting guides.
    160mm post mount brake mount
    Geometry adjustment by ET-K (Excentric Trail Key) :-)
    A mini DH bike with 160mm which gives you pure downhill skills, but also brings you
    comofortable up the hill.

Furthermore, the Helius AM (2013 Tapered ahead) initially remains in the program, at
    least until the customers accept the Helius AC (160mm) or Ion 16 just as worthy
    successor.

The geometries of the Helius AC 2012 and RC 2012 are no longer available from
    All 2013 models include optional:
    - Reverb Stealth
    - ZS44/56 Zero Stack head tube as standard[/QUOTE]
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    so what is the "reverb stealth" option that you have listed for 2013 models?

Edit: oops, i guess it helps to read thoroughly:

"Reverb Stealth cable routing for a clean look and secured cable routing"
    Last edited by irban_bike; 08-22-2012 at 03:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Wow,theres some good stuff going on there.

AC 650b ...... Trail shredder

"Its All Good"
    Yep, catering for all now:

- 26 inch kiddie wheels
    - 650b teenager wheels
    - 29 inch adults wheels

Only joking all....

The line up looks killer, I have a sneaking thought that the AM, AFR, FR will be no longer... Being all made to order, can probly get one made, but seems they will be out the door.... Helius AC will be the new AM (160mm fork acceptable)

ION 16 will be the new AM
    ION 18 carries on being the AFR slot
    ION 20, fast as DH beast

Exciting times....

Am dreaming already of an ION 16 Pinion 29er!
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

yet another stupid german
    very exciting for sure!

I was in the planning stage for an AM and now I have to decide anew... the DHer in me wants an Ion16, the 48 year old says, naaaaa, the new AC is the way to go. Decisions, decisions

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Raschaa this is exactly the position I was in two months ago. I started by asking if they could build a special version of the AC, with 160mm maximum travel, rather than the AM's 171mm and capable of taking a 545mm fork (160mm) but weighing between the AM and the AC.

The feedback was that they could do this possibly using the stays of the AM on an AC chassis that they would subsequently have to beef up to take the longer fork. In the end I wasn't going to make it any lighter than an AM, at least not enough to worry about.

The factory were also kind enough to let me know what was coming in the pipeline. I think it was really good of them to do this and I've been biting my hand not to say anything because they asked me not to! It remains to be seen, but the direct question I asked was 'how much is the Ion 16 going to weigh'. They were really reticent about answering this question but they did in the end give me a target weight they had in mind and were working to engineer.

On the basis that I didn't want my new bike to weigh anything more than 100g more than the outgoing one, and given that I was speccing a through axle and larger head tube, I decided against the Ion 16. I think (please note this is me guessing) that it will be a few hundred grams heavier than the AM. We also know it's going to be fixed at 160mm travel so maybe it will end up being lighter.

I also think the AM will eventually be dropped and I like the geometry changes they've made to the AC - almost identical to what I've asked for - but I wonder if the AC will ride as capably as the AM and if the Ion 16 will end up being a bit more limited in what it can do. We shall have to wait and see

Meanwhile I've opted for a tailored AM. I've had mine now for three years and have made geometry changes to it with the help of different shock shuttles so I felt well placed to decide what I actually wanted.
    Last edited by geetee1972; 08-23-2012 at 02:27 AM.

yet another stupid german
    some geos for y'all ^^

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Sweeeet stuff.... temptation go away... :-P

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks for the info.

Wonder why the 650b AC has a 215x63 shock ?and the 26" and 29" are 200x57mm

650b must be for real riders.
    Last edited by norcosam; 08-23-2012 at 11:59 AM.

steep fast and loose :)
    leverage ratios / charts yet available.......................?

"Its All Good"
    All in good time, am sure more will be revealed... No sign of an ION16 29er.... Could be a go now that there is a 150mm Fox 34....

Quote Originally Posted by The_Lecht_Rocks View Post
    leverage ratios / charts yet available.......................?

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    If the bike isn't going to be available for order until next year it may be that those details are yet to be finalised.

mtbr member
    Diagrams above all look like Ion's not Helius's... is it the diagram that's wrong or has the Helius had a huge redesign?

Pictures required

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I'm almost certain this is similar to the way that Nicolai's website uses the Helius AM as the image on all tech sheets currently.

We've seen an image of the new Helius AC with a redesigned swing link that still drops from the TT so we know that the Helius range will continue to use that kind of suspension lay out.

The Ion range uses a layout that reverses the swing link.

I think that's more than just packaging to be honest. I wonder if that layout makes it easier to make the kinematics initially regressive (supple), then linear, then progressive, which is how my original Ion rode.

I might be over reaching on my knowledge and understanding here.

Distributor
    They're keeping the ION geometry under wraps until Eurobike - no tech sheet yet or other info beyond what you've seen.

Diagram on the tech sheet is just to give a graphical reference to the dimensions quoted. As GeeTee says, old tech sheets used the AM and before that I think the CC.
    Simon Still
    Momentum Distribution
    www.nicolai-uk.com

mtbr member
    at was my first thought simon but i see the shock hardware is 22mm both ends which suggests thats either a cut and paste from the ion18 drawing as well or the linkages have changed significantly
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

flash bikes for flash gits

Distributor
    First release tech sheets often contain mistakes......
    Simon Still
    Momentum Distribution
    www.nicolai-uk.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I've asked a few times about the Fox 34 150mm Whafe, always to denials. Maybe Eurobike. Although I don't know whether I would change for the extra 10mm unless the A2C increased to make mine slacker still ;-)
    I'm still sore they wouldn't build the ZS headtube, 142 dropouts and Ion style BB for my Am29 but also heartened that they listened to us. Not that it would make any difference to how it rides. Which is still awesome.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Ha. Used the bro in laws iPad for the last post. It was me!
    Aka chainline...

"Its All Good"
    Agree, hard to get an answer out of Fox, but was over looking at the Niner thread on WFO's, and there is a picture of one with a 150mm Fox 34.... Also have heard from a very reliable source here in NZ that we ride with, that it can be done, with very little changes... It is also shownin some of the Specipoo 2013 brochure that there will be a 150mm fork on a 29er

Stoked to hear you are still loving your's.... Mine is getting some final tweaks before I head to Whistler on 5th September. New EVEN wheel built, CCDB Air fully sorted, Dorado full break down and service, new 35 mm Easton bars & Stem, new Saddle.... Yeah ha...

Quote Originally Posted by Noskills View Post
    I've asked a few times about the Fox 34 150mm Whafe, always to denials. Maybe Eurobike. Although I don't know whether I would change for the extra 10mm unless the A2C increased to make mine slacker still ;-)
    I'm still sore they wouldn't build the ZS headtube, 142 dropouts and Ion style BB for my Am29 but also heartened that they listened to us. Not that it would make any difference to how it rides. Which is still awesome.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    You're right whafe it can be done easily. One guy who has done it says it's fine after a fair bit of use. Fox however say all the dampers and airsleevea are size specific in terms of maximum length. Shorter ok. Longer may irreparably damage the damper and air spring.

Even though it's easy, I'm not prepared to take the risk with a 900 fork!!

New damper from cr conception could do the trick. Dunno about the air spring? I might check out what a new air spring costs.

On a side note. My stantion is 150mm long and I have bottomed it (accidentally) so its kinda 150mm ;-)
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Whafe, you forget in your list my Helius AC Pinion 650B with 152mm rear travel 66.5 head angle with a 150mm fork

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cyril_88 View Post
    Whafe, you forget in your list my Helius AC Pinion 650B with 152mm rear travel 66.5 head angle with a 150mm fork

Have you ridden this,Or is on there build list??
    When will itbe delivered?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I wait for him in few days or week, so it's a tailor

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    They are teenage wheels tho innit :-) only a little bit bigger than 26" ;-)
    Aka chainline...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast