Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

2007 helius bearing

Hello Nicolai Owners I am hoping you can help. I need to tighten up the play in my bearings and possibly replace them. I need to do this on my own as my nearest dealler is quite far away and I don't want to send the bike away.

Is there any where that would tell me how to do this? I can't see anything on the Nicolai Website as they have taken the info down (as far as I can see) and nicolai uk don't seem to have any info either.

any/all help greatly recieved.

Thanks

James

p.s. is a bearing set really 140 quid?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2007 helius bearing-photo.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2009
    There are needle bearings in all pivots in your FR and because of that, replacing them is somehow easier / cheaper compared to newer / other Helius frames using sliders / bushings.

In fact there are needed documents available in Nicolai web-pages - on left side choose "Service", then "Tech Manuals" and when small window appears, click text [tech manuals] - it`s a link to their library. There`s section for FR and within those docs / figures you can find needed types of needle bearings - you can find similar easily from market - they are the standard ones.

IGUS-type propriotary washers you`ll need too, are only offered via Nicolai or authorized importer - they sell those separately. Also needed pivot axles are hard to find elsewhere.

Youll need some tools too - specific ones but quite simple - you can see those in tech docs.
    Replacing bearings and axles is possible to do with DIY- tools, but that conical tool needed for placing IGUS-plates and bearings in right line with main pivot is recommeded to find out somewhere.

Better to contact Nicolai- reseller / importer first still

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Thank you Pergamonx, due to that fact they were entitled 09 I thought they were for the 09 models have checked them out will follow as needed.

Have been on the line to the hub at glentress who are my local dealer but not that big on Nicolai which makes it a bit difficult.

Have also contacted Nicolai-uk but some times waiting for them to respond can take some time.

guess I have no choice and will take the hit. on the bearings.

again thank you for your help.

James

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Simon at Nicolai bikes usually responds very quickly.

Have you tryed preloading the bushings/bearings.This is just releasing the grub screw on the bearing end caps and tightening the 4mm allen screw on the other side,and then retightening the grub screw,when the play has gone.
    If the Needle bearings have play in them it is possible to buy part kits from Nicolai Uk,I have a lower/Main pivot kit on order with them now.They had mine in stock.
    Not sure you would need the whole kit,The FR i have just brought is an 2008 and the only one that isnt very good is the main pivot,No slack just rough feeling,The drive side needle roller bearing is rusty and so is the Bearing pivot tube.So i am just replacing this.
    Going to measure up the bearings and get a tool made at work for pressing them out and the new ones in.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by norcosam
    Simon at Nicolai bikes usually responds very quickly.

Have you tryed preloading the bushings/bearings.This is just releasing the grub screw on the bearing end caps and tightening the 4mm allen screw on the other side,and then retightening the grub screw,when the play has gone.
    If the Needle bearings have play in them it is possible to buy part kits from Nicolai Uk,I have a lower/Main pivot kit on order with them now.They had mine in stock.
    Not sure you would need the whole kit,The FR i have just brought is an 2008 and the only one that isnt very good is the main pivot,No slack just rough feeling,The drive side needle roller bearing is rusty and so is the Bearing pivot tube.So i am just replacing this.
    Going to measure up the bearings and get a tool made at work for pressing them out and the new ones in.
    Hi Sam thanks for the info. I have had the bike in at the hub and they have taken the play up in the barings. unfortunately there is still play and a fair amount of rust on the bearings so need them changed. Unforunately the hub don't have the tool and want to charge 75 pounds for the privilage of doing it. So I was going to buy the tool and do it myself to save a few pennys.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Two tone
    Hi Sam thanks for the info. I have had the bike in at the hub and they have taken the play up in the barings. unfortunately there is still play and a fair amount of rust on the bearings so need them changed. Unforunately the hub don't have the tool and want to charge 75 pounds for the privilage of doing it. So I was going to buy the tool and do it myself to save a few pennys.
    I am personally not convinced you need all those fancy and expensive tools.
    I think they could be Removed and replaced with carefull use of sockets and a vice.
    Definetely wont be buying the tools for mine.
    My kit should be here this week,so i will be doing mine on Saturday,I will let you know how i get on and if i think you need any special tools.

Distributor
    True that you don't *need* the specific tools but they make the job a lot easier, especially the axle drift when you're trying to line up the frame parts to insert a new axle.

We do have a rental set - pay for the full set of tools and we refund it, less 5 for wear, if they're returned in good condition (more if you trash them naturally).
    Simon Still
    Momentum Distribution
    www.nicolai-uk.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Hi Simon thanks for the info, think it sounds like I may as well get the tool, going to need it more than once.

I'm really not to bad with the spanners, but is there any "how to" avalible preferably in english kicking arround

James

mtbr member
    I am personally not convinced you need all those fancy and expensive tools.
    I think they could be Removed and replaced with carefull use of sockets and a vice.
    Definetely wont be buying the tools for mine.
    My kit should be here this week,so i will be doing mine on Saturday,I will let you know how i get on and if i think you need any special tools.

How much was the bearing kit norcosam?
    www.essexhertsmtb.co.uk - Mountain Biking near London in the UK

lazy piston
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Two tone
    but is there any "how to" avalible preferably in english kicking arround
    There was a set of short video clips made by Nicolai. Their mechanic fully disassembled and re-assembled a Helius CC frame (which is very similar to your FR) pivot by pivot, all necessary tools were shown, all comments were in English (with a German accent though ). Those were some great videos and they really helped me when I was rebuilding my frame for the first time. I got the videos from Nicolai on a CD when they shipped me some spare parts, but I think they can also be found on youtube.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    @smith that is absoultely perfect!! Will try and find them now!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Karve
    How much was the bearing kit norcosam?

Main pivot was 35,for axle,2 bearings and 2 Igus washers.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    These are the tools i made for fitting and removing the bearings and axle.

Inbetween the tools,i have the new bearing kit

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    sam love you work those tools look mint!

Not sure how you can charge 60 quid for the tools you get, although they do get the job done.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Firstly guys thanks for the help and info so far,

However I have come up across a problem, the axel I have for for the hebel rocker seems to be too long, I have an axel left over from the kit but it is too short to fit to allow the rockers to attach. i also have tow of the "washer" type things left over. I have attached photos of drive side, non drive side and with the pre load screws attached.

I have attached the diagram that I am following for this section any one got any ideas to what I'm doing wrong?
    http://2009.nicolai.net/manuals/manu..._rocker_09.pdf

thanks

James

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    on the last picture there should be a nylon washer each side of the arm,one by the spacer tube and one between the shock link arm and the upper swing arm.Photos arnt clear enough for me to see

Are the washers that are left,flat or stepped?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    on the last picture there should be a nylon washer each side of the arm,one by the spacer tube and one between the shock link arm and the upper swing arm.Photos arnt clear enough for me to see

Are the washers that are left,flat or stepped?

Sam thanks sorry yeah the photos are pish.

ok, looking at the diagram it looks as if there are two nylon washers between the spacer and the arm, however if I have this correct and it makes much more sence to me, what your saying is the washers should be either side of the arm.

however the overall spacing I am using would be the same I would still be the same and i think I would still have the bit of axel sticking out...

The two washers pictured are stepped like the ones used on the upper swing arm

James

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    there should be one washer each side of the needle bearing.so yes

Did you check the old and new axles were the same length?

There are no stepped washers on the pivot you are doing,they must be the upper shock link pivot ones.
    Last edited by norcosam; 04-11-2011 at 02:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Did you check the old and new axles were the same length?

emmmmmmmmmm Yes.. no maybe not didn't think it would be issue, just trying to find the old one, I removed it my parents where they have better tools for removing the axel when it was stuck and I think I left it up there.

Unfortunately I got a bike shop to source the new kit so can't properly check that everything was correct because I didn't order it, but really can't see how they would have got it wrong.

Will try and find it and take it from there....

Thanks for the help Sam. Truely appreachiated!

James

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Private message sent mate,my email and mob number,just phone me in the evening 5pm onwards,it will be easier than on here.
    No problem mate

mtbr member
    May 2009
    @twotone - those stepped washers seen in your 2nd pic are for upper rocker pivot (where pivot axle goes through top tube - no other washers needed there. In lower pivot, as norcosam wrote, 2 flat washers are needed for each end of seatstay - one for each side of bearing. So you will need 4 flat washers for lower rocker linkage. There seems to be mistake in diagram - if mounting two flat washers between the spacer and seatstay, measure between those two "hebels" is more than 49mm and right-sized reducers for shock does not work anymore - at least with AC-frame ...

When made right, pivot axle ends will be exactly on same level compared to bearings outer sides - if not, your axle is wrong sized. Cannot check now and don`t remember, but there`s small difference between lower rocker pivot axle and main pivot axle - could yours be axle for main pivot ?

And now off-topic - this pic is not from FR, but from ACs main pivot. Checked all pivots and bushings / bearings only 3 weeks before that - no wearing at all yet in that time. So, all that wearing has happened during few weeks only - seems that when inner surface of bushing brokes, then it wears really fast. Measured gap in that pivot was 1,1mm. Changed that bushing to needle bearing and alu-axle to steel one.
    Last edited by pergamonx; 04-11-2011 at 10:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Pergamonx
    I've just serviced an AM that scoffed the lower pivot in less than a year. The ano has worn off the pin and there was significant play. The new kit has a different surface finish. It's a grey looking ano as opposed to the gold. Not sure if this is significant or not. I'm hoping it's harder weariing than the gold.
    www.gravity-sports.co.uk

flash bikes for flash gits

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Dipper - got also a new bearing kit, full set and noticed that coating in axles looked different. Took few days to got a new set and mounted steel axle with needle bearings before that.
    Mine axle was scoffed too, not badly but damage was visible - Ill bet that scoffed alu works like grinding paste there and speeds up wearing.

Mine main pivot bushing (only left side was scoffed, right one was ok) lasted ~900 hours of my usage - there was minor wearing in left side lower rocker pivot too, measured that 0,4mm. All others are still going strong. Let`s see how long those needle bearings will survive ... will they broke before my ordered frame is in my hands

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by pergamonx
    Dipper - got also a new bearing kit, full set and noticed that coating in axles looked different. Took few days to got a new set and mounted steel axle with needle bearings before that.
    Mine axle was scoffed too, not badly but damage was visible - Ill bet that scoffed alu works like grinding paste there and speeds up wearing.

Mine main pivot bushing (only left side was scoffed, right one was ok) lasted ~900 hours of my usage - there was minor wearing in left side lower rocker pivot too, measured that 0,4mm. All others are still going strong. Let`s see how long those needle bearings will survive ... will they broke before my ordered frame is in my hands
    Dang, this is no good news.

My rear rotor touches the brake pads and makes noise when I turn right or left. I'm not sure there is play in the swingarm but I already tightened (preloaded) the bearings with no sucess.

I'll take a look as soon as I get home by next week. I'll change the QR to eliminate that possibility.

But I can clearly see a worn non-drive-side main pivot giving enough play to be causing my issues. I hope not. I will source a repair kit in the meantime and I'll also check if I can upgrade to a steel pin.

I also have an early (Dec-10) AC and very little miles.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by pergamonx
    @twotone - those stepped washers seen in your 2nd pic are for upper rocker pivot (where pivot axle goes through top tube - no other washers needed there. In lower pivot, as norcosam wrote, 2 flat washers are needed for each end of seatstay - one for each side of bearing. So you will need 4 flat washers for lower rocker linkage. There seems to be mistake in diagram - if mounting two flat washers between the spacer and seatstay, measure between those two "hebels" is more than 49mm and right-sized reducers for shock does not work anymore - at least with AC-frame ...

When made right, pivot axle ends will be exactly on same level compared to bearings outer sides - if not, your axle is wrong sized. Cannot check now and don`t remember, but there`s small difference between lower rocker pivot axle and main pivot axle - could yours be axle for main pivot ?
    Cheers man going to take a look tonight and see whats going on found the old axel that Sam was taking about late last night so will rearrange washer config and take it from there.

Not sure why I have 4 step washers in the kit but hay ho taking it as a bonus for spending 200 quid on the tools and kit!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast