Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    "Its All Good"

2 Nicolai's & 9 days in Whistler........

I have just arrived into Barcelona after a short visit to Los Angeles for work after a fantastic vacation in Whistler.....

Was more or less in Whistler for the entire Crankworx week, only missed the Canadian DH open on the Sunday…

It for sure takes some organization, but it is so so worth it....

Many people for obvious reasons don’t wish to be in Whistler for Crankworx. It could be perceived as a little commercial, overall I find it to be a good buzz. The lines are not that busy in the park. Best method to combat lines is to ride the top to mid sections, it is never busy up there and for me, it is a far better area and trails to ride…

Last year I took the one bike to Whistler, the Nucleon TFR, which rocked, was a great bike...

This year I decided to take 2 bikes, I very much wanted to do some riding outside of the park.... So much emphasis it seems is purely on the Whistler Bike Park, which is for sure a great spot, but there is so many rides outside of the park that are very much worth while to take or organize to have 2 bikes available...

This trip I bought the ION ST with me on the plane, and I sent my Helius FR to EBX in Seattle, he then bought it up to Whistler with him (HUGE thank you EBX for this)

The ION ST blew me away, I have not been on a full on DH bike for many years now and of late have been riding the rigid 29er SS more than anything..... So to jump on a super plush DH bike was really odd to say the least....

I built the ION ST up on the road to Whistler, there was an accident, so I utilized the time... I got out on the bike for the first time on the Saturday, the weather was not great, well I dont mind the wet, but hard first time out on a bike. It was vital for me to get a few runs in before the Garbanzo DH race taking place on the Sunday... I decided to enter a Crankworx event to participate, and it helped firm things up that I had to sort my sh!t and organize the trip.. I didnt come last, of which I was pleased about, but for sure didnt come first... For me the top section was very challenging, through In Deep and Blue Velvet especially.... She is a long way down when racing.... I was stoked with myself for participating... Was a good experience, but I for sure need to have more practise and get more used to a bike to shred things I feel.....

As a DH bike, I really liked the ION ST, it is very stable at speed, feels magic in the air and handles the rough stuff with ease... I love how simple the bike looks, it is not all complicated. The bike is truly really stiff, the BB area is like a bomb shelter..... The size Large was perfect for me, (6'4 88Kg's) I really loved the Deity Dirty 30 Bars, they are wide and low, gives great confidence in riding, the width gets you sometimes though.... The Fox 40 fork went really well, totally enjoyed it.... I was also impressed with the RS Vivid shock.... Could have been the overall suspension set up being so good too..... I was more than happy with the tire choice’s I made. Am a big fan of Minions up front, I ran a 2.5 sticky. I went with a Minion on the rear also, the rear specific, 2.5 sticky… Had no problems at all with this tire…

All in all, am very happy with the ION ST.... Many may say it is more bike than I need, for sure could be, but it is a beautiful ride, and hey, that’s why we work our butts off….
    Got out on a good number of rides on the Helius FR outside of the park, really enjoyed this. Riding on the West side of the valley is awesome, there is always some savage climbs, but the down sections are very much worth it… Loads of steeps, rock faces, ladders, techy sections… When the locals in Whistler say its an XC ride, be prepared, it is not your typical definition of an XC ride…

I do not get loads of time on skinnies and wooden structures etc in the air, so when we rode the trail, River Runs Through It, I was put on the spot, which is a great thing to be put out of ones comfort zone, was well impressed with how I went. Had a few good off’s, which is part of the game really… Funny how sometimes the real slow fall offs hurt the most… My legs look like they have been to Vietnam, bruises, cuts, scratches etc…. I also messed up a couple of ribs… All these will heal….
    These rides once again confirmed to me just how great the FR is as a bike. It excels in many areas… While the Helius AM looks to be a stella ride, I have no issues at all with a 33lbs All Mountain ride that is bomb proof…..

A few shots of me riding, I spend so much time wanting to get great shots of others, forget about myself a bit… Thanks to EBX, Muttonchops and FM for snapping a few shots…

The beast after the Garbanzo DH race...

The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Yo dude! Was killer to hook up with you!

Thanks for posting all the pictures, sorry I did not get too many quality ones to return the favor! I had a new camera, by the end of the weekend I had it dialed but fridays shots were mostly worthless.

Hope to see you next year!
    Attached Images Attached Images

"Its All Good"
    Was indeed sweet to hook up, was a great day Friday riding... Nothing like a warm up on Goats Gully....

Am still peaking over the RDS trail, was killer, an all time favorite for me.....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Awesome awesome awesome.. thanks for taking the time to detail your time out in the NWest and how the Nicolais fared. Sure makes for good reading.

Did you ride that line in pic Crankworx2008Day62PiraVedaTrail17.jpg looks like a dam sketchy section.

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by Karve
    Did you ride that line in pic Crankworx2008Day62PiraVedaTrail17.jpg looks like a dam sketchy section.
    Yes, rode that section... Was for sure sketchy when looking from the top, one of those ones that when you do it, you think or wonder what the problem was.... It drops, then straight into a hardish left then a hard right over a wooden ladder....

Was a good little area.... The picture you mention, the next one is the same line as I am going down it....

Yep, easy to jot some words down about the bikes, they performed and went real well, was stoked....

Drink...sleep
    Man, I think I gotta move house...simply awesome Whafe, for sure something to crank up the riding skills!

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by Boozzz
    Man, I think I gotta move house...simply awesome Whafe, for sure something to crank up the riding skills!
    Yep, I tell ya, a week there does wonders for the riding skills... So much riding and then at the same time, trying not to get injured... LOL...

See so many injuries there, the meat wagon out an about the whole time, not pleasant... But I always keep my head screwed on a bit, need to survive riding a week....

You should indeed make the trip and see this area for yourself, would have a blast...

I rode 'Whistler XC'
    Have been following your posts Whafe. Again...thanks for sharing.

Makes me realize again that I HAVE to get my behind back to Whistler next year!

Cheers Bro!
    If I wanted your opinion I'd give it to you

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by MintSauce
    Have been following your posts Whafe. Again...thanks for sharing.

Makes me realize again that I HAVE to get my behind back to Whistler next year!

Cheers Bro!
    Hear you there my man, I need to win lotto and live a biking life, quit the sucky corporate world......

Am already thinking next year....

wyrd bið ful ãræd
    cheers whafe for posting the excellant pics ... we all love pics and you know it ... lickin' good ... where's the "911" from the front

i think we need to get nicolai to have an annual meet ... starting next year at whistler ...

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by chinaman
    cheers whafe for posting the excellant pics ... we all love pics and you know it ... lickin' good ... where's the "911" from the front

i think we need to get nicolai to have an annual meet ... starting next year at whistler ...
    I agree, I would be down with a Nicolai Meet in Whistler next year.... Worth the effort easily...

Here she is from the front.......
    Attached Images Attached Images

wyrd bið ful ãræd
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    ... Here she is from the front ...
    LOL

"El Whatever"
    Dood!!!

That's awesome riding and pics!!

I wish I had half the bawls you guys have!!
    Check my Site

mtbr member

Whafe I F-N love you man,

You are like a Godd to me in my little sad patetic world. That look like a sweet trip with loads of fun.I thought FM rode a Turner HL? Please tell me your going to make back out my way soon so to hang and bang on the bikes...Or is it me and my new Turner aren't good enough for your Nicolai group rides. Love ya bro, It ALWAYS makes me feel so good inside to see you loving life so much on the bikes...Peace and keep em coming..CF...

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY FRED
    You are like a Godd to me in my little sad patetic world. That look like a sweet trip with loads of fun.I thought FM rode a Turner HL? Please tell me your going to make back out my way soon so to hang and bang on the bikes...Or is it me and my new Turner aren't good enough for your Nicolai group rides. Love ya bro, It ALWAYS makes me feel so good inside to see you loving life so much on the bikes...Peace and keep em coming..CF...
    No world bro is a pathetic world, just different... All is not what it always seems....

FM was ripping it on his Turner Highline for sure, wearing a dual crown 888 this year, he also had with him the RFX...

Would love to make it back to your area at some stage, am sure I will, just when really.... Go and shred the area on SS´s.... That will sort us out....

Turners are plenty good enough to ride with Nicolai's.

mtbr member

Sweet photo's,

No world bro is a pathetic world, just different... All is not what it always seems....

FM was ripping it on his Turner Highline for sure, wearing a dual crown 888 this year, he also had with him the RFX...

Would love to make it back to your area at some stage, am sure I will, just when really.... Go and shred the area on SS´s.... That will sort us out....

Turners are plenty good enough to ride with Nicolai's.
    I just can't get over some of these photo's.looks like pure bliss on a bike.Like I said Whafe U DA MAN. CF...

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by CRAZY FRED
    I just can't get over some of these photo's.looks like pure bliss on a bike.Like I said Whafe U DA MAN. CF...
    +1

Go the Whafe!!
    Check my Site

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    Great stuff Whafe, looks like a hell of a trip!

Counting down the days until I return to Whistler....

mtbr member
    Words can not say how good it looks back out in Whistler. (its almost a year to the day when i was there !)
    I'm loving the photo's and the write up's that you have been posting.
    Keep up the good work that man.
    Off to the Alps in the morning and will try very hard to get some good photos to post up during the time there.
    Nicolai Bikes in the South of England head to..
    http://www.head-for-the-hills.co.uk

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by 5c0tty
    Words can not say how good it looks back out in Whistler. (its almost a year to the day when i was there !)
    I'm loving the photo's and the write up's that you have been posting.
    Keep up the good work that man.
    Off to the Alps in the morning and will try very hard to get some good photos to post up during the time there.
    Sweet 5c0tty, have a blast in the Alps, we will be waiting for the pictures on a daily basis please, so as we can live the next week.... 1 more week here in Barcelona, no bike, so roll on next weekend....

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by Err
    Great stuff Whafe, looks like a hell of a trip!

Counting down the days until I return to Whistler....
    Hi ya Bro, had a great time, was sensational.... Great riding..

If you have not as yet done it, go ride Ride, Dont Slide after a day in the park, the flow is awesome. The trail is nothing short of one of the best trails there is !!!!

Pics please....

mtbr member
    Sweet 5c0tty, have a blast in the Alps, we will be waiting for the pictures on a daily basis please, so as we can live the next week.... 1 more week here in Barcelona, no bike, so roll on next weekend....
    One more week then I'll be off to Spain with the FR riding sweet dusty singletrack. I can't wait

Great write up and photos whafe. Keep them coming.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Whafe, thanks for posting those action shots. Looks like large is ok for 6ft 4ins rider; glad
    I bought my Helius ST in large as well. Are you going to try a CCDB or are you happy with
    the RS's performance?

"Its All Good"
    yetiman71 / Yep she be real dry here in Spain, but am sure you will shread it and have a blast.

ryates - Yes for me large is perfect, I like to be able to man handle the frame so to speak... At this point am happy with the RS on the ION. It will not be ridden enough to warrant spending the money on a CCDB... Am sure it would rock it though.... It is super plush as with the Vivid.....

searcher
    Cool pics Whafe, thanks for your report.
    Maybe next year...
    Kovi

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast